Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Shout out to Kai Aras / Numerical Audio

There is another thread discussing iOS developers and it made me want to give a shout out to Kai Aras / Numerical Audio ( @ka010 ).

I think Kai's work might be a little underrated, hence the thread, and for me, right here, right now, he is my favourite iOS developer. He creates unique, modern, well designed apps. He is incredibly responsive to user feedback ('Hey Kai, it would be cool if Volt had a parameter randomizer" - "Sure, I'll just add one of the dopest randomizers on iOS"...).

RE-1 is a brilliant virtual tape machine, KB-1 is the AU MIDI keyboard that everyone had been hoping for, Volt can make sounds that I'm not hearing in any other synth (Sci-Fi heaven). And he completely won me over by releasing an app called Italizer (dub siren / reggae tape echo).

The website says that Numerical is a partnership with Markus Teufel so a shout out to Markus too.

It looks like they are building Eurorack modules as well: http://numericalaudio.com/

Go check!!

(Search the AppStore for “Kia Aras” and you’ll get his developer collection. I don’t know how to share that page).

Comments

• Hey @ka010 - how about an AU drum machine? :wink: 👍

• I really like Volt, but tend to avoid it because I find the interface so hard to read (low contrast).

• @pauly said:
    I really like Volt, but tend to avoid it because I find the interface so hard to read (low contrast).

Hey, don’t spoil the party! :joy:

I just checked it out again. It’s actually one of my favourite app interfaces! I can see that the font is quite small, though, and the colours may not contrast enough for some. So hard to get everything right for every person using your app! I guess if enough people give that feedback then it will get looked into. It’s definitely a shame to miss out on this synth because of it. Do you have a midi controller you could hook up? Might help.

• I really enjoy his apps too. My first AUv3 delay was RP-1, I just loved the icon and was not disappointed (shallow I know). I keep coming back to Volt for new sounds - it’s amazing.

• edited May 2019

This is a great post @gusgranite

I love all of Kai's work, including the Jah Shaka-inspired dub siren 'Italizer', and I had a similar experience to you when (shortly after its launch) I asked if he would consider building patch management into Volt's UI for the benefit of BM3 users.

...sure enough, it appeared a week later!

• edited May 2019

I love all of his FX apps, my only complaint is that the names are quite cryptic, so when I see them in a list within a host app quite often I don't remember what each app does, because they just appear as:

RP-1
    RF-1
    VC-1

It would be much better if they were listed as:

RP-1 Delay
    RF-1 Reverb
    VC-1 Chorus

• Definitely one of the best. Italizer didn’t work in AUM when it bought other day, so I mentioned it in an App Store review and he updated it almost instantly. That’s just great work.

• @audio_DT said:
    Definitely one of the best. Italizer didn’t work in AUM when it bought other day, so I mentioned it in an App Store review and he updated it almost instantly. That’s just great work.

He is top notch!
    Fixes come from this guy lightning fast! And he is actually using the apps he made as his Twitter is showing regularly ;)

Keep it up Kai!!!!

• Woah thanks for the shoutout guys, I really do appreciate it! :blush:

I'm sure Markus (@reinerspass ) does too, we're usually working on separate projects which is why you haven't heard much from him lately but it just so happens he's preparing to release his new app Octachron right now so watch this space!

Oh and while we're at it, I've got a new little something planned for next week as well, stay tuned... :#

@gusgranite said:
    Hey @ka010 - how about an AU drum machine? :wink: 👍

Heh, not gonna have one within a week but there might be one in the pipeline ;)

@gusgranite said:

@pauly said:
    I really like Volt, but tend to avoid it because I find the interface so hard to read (low contrast).

Hey, don’t spoil the party! :joy:

I just checked it out again. It’s actually one of my favourite app interfaces! I can see that the font is quite small, though, and the colours may not contrast enough for some. So hard to get everything right for every person using your app! I guess if enough people give that feedback then it will get looked into. It’s definitely a shame to miss out on this synth because of it. Do you have a midi controller you could hook up? Might help.

I know some of you are having trouble reading the text so I tried to improve on this with the last update which increases contrast for drawing text and adds fullscreen support to the AUv3 version for an overall larger UI, helps a great deal I think.

@richardyot said:
    I love all of his FX apps, my only complaint is that the names are quite cryptic, so when I see them in a list within a host app quite often I don't remember what each app does, because they just appear as:

RP-1
    RF-1
    VC-1

It would be much better if they were listed as:

RP-1 Delay
    RF-1 Reverb
    VC-1 Chorus

Yup, that's exactly what I had in mind as well. Unfortunately, names can only be changed with an update which I haven't managed to complete yet, should be done sometime soon though. Newer apps are already using this kind of naming scheme.

• @ka010 @reinerspass uhhh this looks like a lot of fun.

Does this have anything to do with the cool teaser video you posted a couple weeks ago on twitter? 🤪😬😬👊🏼™️

• @echoopera Been Beta testing Octachron definitely gonna fill in a few missing pieces to the iOS ecosystem.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @echoopera Been Beta testing Octachron definitely gonna fill in a few missing pieces to the iOS ecosystem.

Gah!!! You always get on with the fun toys before the rest of us :) Hurry up and say it's all 100% bug free so we can feel the tentacles on our brains :)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @echoopera Been Beta testing Octachron definitely gonna fill in a few missing pieces to the iOS ecosystem.

What 'missing pieces', clip launcher, 'simpler like' sampler, 'beat box'.

Once you've said A the B has to come hehe...

• Hint, what it is? I've got all of Kai's apps so got to catch them all.

• @echoopera said:
    @ka010 @reinerspass uhhh this looks like a lot of fun.

Does this have anything to do with the cool teaser video you posted a couple weeks ago on twitter? 🤪😬😬👊🏼™️

Nope, that's something else entirely but more on this soon! :)

@nondes said:
    Hint, what it is? I've got all of Kai's apps so got to catch them all.

All I can say is that it's dropping really soon... that said, Octachron is all @reinerspass I just helped testing along @Jumpercollins and a couple of others.

• @echoopera said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Gah!!! You always get on with the fun toys before the rest of us :) Hurry up and say it's all 100% bug free so we can feel the tentacles on our brains :)

@echoopera Been pretty big free so far.

• @tk32 said:

I love all of Kai's work, including the Jah Shaka-inspired dub siren 'Italizer', and I had a similar experience to you when (shortly after its launch) I asked if he would consider building patch management into Volt's UI for the benefit of BM3 users.

Does italizer work as an AU in Beatmaker 3 for you? It keeps crashing here

• @ka010 said:
    Oh and while we're at it, I've got a new little something planned for next week as well, stay tuned... :#

Since you mentioned Octachron separately, i'm guessing it's other thing... Which is it? :lol:
    Your stuff is great indeed :love:

• @Treesarenice said:

@tk32 said:

Does italizer work as an AU in Beatmaker 3 for you? It keeps crashing here

Oh, somehow missed that post, sorry about that! There has been an issue with BM3, yes. It's fixed though and an update including a fix amongst other things will be available later this week.

@senhorlampada said:

@ka010 said:

Since you mentioned Octachron separately, i'm guessing it's other thing... Which is it? :lol:
    Your stuff is great indeed :love:

Well, thank you! :)
    I was referring to SF-1 which did shipped last week (http://numericalaudio.com/sf1). That said, there might be more... stay tuned! :)

• Love em all man!

• @ka010 said:

Well, thank you! :)
    I was referring to SF-1 which did shipped last week (http://numericalaudio.com/sf1). That said, there might be more... stay tuned! :)

Oooh
    Yummy :yum: lol
    Forgot about SF-1
    Gonna check it later :wink: