Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SpaceCraft Questions

I am returning to SC and excited about it, however, I cannot get it to record in Cubasis (I have before). I am getting a strong readout in the mixer but no Midi track. I have loaded is as audio but that does not work. I have loaded it as an effect, but it does not work. I have loaded it with green eggs and ham...

Also, how can one record both SC engines at once? If so how? Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @LinearLineman do you mean recording audio
    output from SC directly into a cubasis track? If so this has never been possible. The only way to do that is to wire audiobus in cubasis as a send/return

• Thanks @deltaVaudio. Can midi be recorded? I think I did that. And can both engines be recorded? Thanks!

• I'm not an expert on cubasis, I'll go have a play to see what can be done. I'd hope that it would behave the same way as any other auv3 where you can record the midi input in the track.

Note that SC doesn't send any midi out

• Thanks @deltaVaudio, I have been getting some success using Audiobus, but still don’t get how it needs to be routed.

• @deltaVaudio, if I create a midi track with SC (routed thru audiobus) and an audio track with no instrument I get a very hissy audio track of both sound engines. Members here must be creating SC tracks in Cubasis. But how?

• As far as I know the cubasis audiobus routing approach is only needed for the audio recording into a track. There's a general video on this somewhere I'll see if I can find it...

• @LinearLineman Here's a couple of Audiobus presets which have 2 instances of Spacecraft in AUM routed to Cubasis. Each instance of Spacecraft should have one of the engines muted. This is the only way, that I could think of, to get seperate recordings. Cubasis should have 2 audio tracks (being monitored) ready to record.You will need to find the Spacecraft session that you wish to use and then split 1 engine per track. The 1st preset has no keyboard control while the 2nd one does. Tweak these to your needs but you'll definitely be able to record 2 seperate audio tracks to Cubasis.
    Try 1 of these to start.. I'm sure someone else will share a more refined method.

As far as the midi aspects.. well.. that's why you posted this question on this wonderful forum.. there will be incoming soon. :)

Audiobus preset 'Spacecraft+AUM+Cubasis': http://preset.audiob.us/jXZmP7nnGGm5Wp9

Audiobus preset 'Spacecraft+AUM+Cubasis+keyboard': http://preset.audiob.us/DdPGPjFz3N6JPiI

• Thank you @rayor. I currently don’t use AUM, but it seems you are saying you have to feed a prerecorded track into Cubasis... or can you do it live with AUM?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thank you @rayor. I currently don’t use AUM, but it seems you are saying you have to feed a prerecorded track into Cubasis... or can you do it live with AUM?

Don't use AUM 😱😱😱😱 what are these words And where did you find them lol

• Set it up like this. Cubasis will automatically create a track. Tap on Spacecraft to open it. Press record in the AudioBus palette and you will be recording.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I currently don’t use AUM, but it seems you are saying you have to feed a prerecorded track into Cubasis... or can you do it live with AUM?

Now I'm a little confused myself.. By prerecorded track I'm guessing that you mean a midi track?

• You can play the AUM keyboard live which will trigger Spacecraft sequencer notes. The audio from Spacecraft is then routed to Cubasis to record.
    • OR you could tap in a few sequence notes within Spacecraft and not use a keyboard at all.
    • of course there will be audio tracks inside of Spacecraft itself that you are manipulating.

Sorry for all the confusion.. if you have AUM just try the 2nd preset and let it load. Play the keyboard in AUM and you should hear the results. (I hope)

• @espigel123, I did exactly that. There was a signal in the Cubasis mixer, but no recording. The CB mic was on. The speaker icon was pressed. I must be missing something. @royor, confusion breeds confusion. My bad. Sorry.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @espigel123, I did exactly that. There was a signal in the Cubasis mixer, but no recording. The CB mic was on. The speaker icon was pressed. I must be missing something. @royor, confusion breeds confusion. My bad. Sorry.

Make a screen recording starting with setting it up and including recording. Post it to YouTube and hopefully we can see what is going wrong with the setup.

Not sure what you mean by CB Mix was on. You won’t be recording from the mic.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @espigel123, I did exactly that. There was a signal in the Cubasis mixer, but no recording. The CB mic was on. The speaker icon was pressed. I must be missing something. @royor, confusion breeds confusion. My bad. Sorry.

Here is a quick vid including setup.

• @LinearLineman I'm not sure if your original questions has been answered, I'm still trying to figure out cubasis myself haha.

My understanding is as follows:
    1. if you create a SC instance on a midi track with SC as an insert, then just tapping record will record the midi notes on the track (input to SC) like any other Auv3
    2. if you create a SC instance on an audio track then you can route via audiobus and get the SC output audio piped into a cubasis track.

What I'm not sure about is if you can combine the above two methods. I'm sure it's possible but I haven't had enough time to investigate fully as yet. @espiegel123 is this possible to your knowledge?

The ideal scenario is all of the above + the ability to have audio input (mic or other apps) being input to SC too.

I wish cubasis could just allow the recording of the audio output of a track onto another track, it would make all of this so much easier!

• @reasOne said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Thank you @rayor. I currently don’t use AUM, but it seems you are saying you have to feed a prerecorded track into Cubasis... or can you do it live with AUM?

Don't use AUM 😱😱😱😱 what are these words And where did you find them lol

Hahahaha

• @deltaVaudio said:
    @LinearLineman I'm not sure if your original questions has been answered, I'm still trying to figure out cubasis myself haha.

My understanding is as follows:
    1. if you create a SC instance on a midi track with SC as an insert, then just tapping record will record the midi notes on the track (input to SC) like any other Auv3
    2. if you create a SC instance on an audio track then you can route via audiobus and get the SC output audio piped into a cubasis track.

What I'm not sure about is if you can combine the above two methods. I'm sure it's possible but I haven't had enough time to investigate fully as yet. @espiegel123 is this possible to your knowledge?

The ideal scenario is all of the above + the ability to have audio input (mic or other apps) being input to SC too.

I wish cubasis could just allow the recording of the audio output of a track onto another track, it would make all of this so much easier!

@deltaVaudio : what you describe sounds accurate to the best of my limited knowledge. I am not a Cubasis expert (having found that Auria Pro aligns better to my needs). But my impression is that if you want to record both the MIDI and Audio from SpaceCraft simultaneously in Cubasis, you need to use Audiobus to pipe them into Cubasis.

• @deltaVaudio, tonight I succeeded at least at recording a live performance on SC using audiobus to create an audio track. But so far no accompanying midi. However, I have not tried using SC as an insert on the midi track (I just had no instrument and armed it to record, which did not work). Next I will try as an insert.

Strangely, at the same time I am making my first explorations with Noise and its mpe keyboard. Also attempting to get audio and midi simultaneously. I feel I am making headway with both issues and it is quite fascinating. Thanks for sticking with me on this!

• @LinearLineman : if you are sending midi from spacecraft via AB3, go to the midi page and choose spacecraft as the source for a lane and direct its output to Cubasis.

• Thanks, @espiegel123, that sounds like it should work.

• @deltaVaudio
    please PLEASE, now that the iPads have a lot of cpu,
    please add all/most of the options from desktop version to
    iPad version !

thank you.

• Reviving the thread with...a question: what is the closest one can get to playing a single grain at regular speed ? Not necessarily looking for the inter terrestrial equivalent of AUM’ file player, but close. Would like start there and build up the grains if that’s possible. Similar to the grain control in Borderlands.

Also, hope @deltaVaudio is well.

• @zilld2017 said:
    Also, hope @deltaVaudio is well.

That's my #1 concern. I'd love to hear from him.

• @deltaVaudio

Could we see SpaceCraft with multi-out in the future? 🙏🏼👏🏼
    Would be soooo cool 😊.

• Mark been busy with the Android beta version SC had some emails reference that the last 2 days.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Mark been busy with the Android beta version SC had some emails reference that the last 2 days.

Wait, an actual good music app on Android!?!?!?!?!? Man, the only reason I got an Apple device at all was the terrible state of Android music making.

• @slicetwo said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Mark been busy with the Android beta version SC had some emails reference that the last 2 days.

Wait, an actual good music app on Android!?!?!?!?!? Man, the only reason I got an Apple device at all was the terrible state of Android music making.

SunVox has been on Android for free forever. What else does one need?

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@slicetwo said:

@Jumpercollins said:

SunVox has been on Android for free forever. What else does one need?

Koala as well (not free though).