Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Overall, which app developers have impressed you the most?

For me it’s been Sugar Bytes. I first got Wow Filter Box, and then Turnado back in 2014. Turnado is definitely the more sophisticated out of the two, IMO, however, no app I have ever used, has been as satisfying to tweak as Wow Filter Box. It almost feels like I am holding an actual guitar pedal in my hands, just immediate gratification every time. I saw the name Sugar Bytes in the App Store today and was fortunate enough to be able to get both Aparillo & Cyclop, both are very good as well. Sugar Bytes is one developer that has never disappointed me, as every time I risk buying one of their products before hearing, I’ve never been disappointed. What developers have impressed you the most over time, and you just know a product will be good because it has their name on it? I blew my wad for this month, and have to cut myself off, but I’d love to hear about some other developers that I may not be aware of. In your opinion, what are some of the developers that have continued to impress you over the course of time, and have not dropped the ball? You guys have made some great recommendations, and I can’t remember being disappointed, so I value your opinions a great deal.

Comments

• edited May 2019

I'll make a list later, but real quick... Did you get AudioKit synth one ?? Free and amazing synth!!!
    If you like it they have a paid synth called d1
    Look into them and read thru the website...a really amazing company

• Sugar Bytes stuff is really good. You can hear it used all over this guys stuff:

He is friends with the Dev so some of the Sugar Bytes ideas have come directly from him!

I love AD for Eos 2. Great verbs.
    Spacecraft is probably the most impressive app I've used. I'm positive anything Mark Watt does in the future will be amazing.
    Noiise/Mobgen created the the other most impressive app Flux:FX but sadly they seem to no longer exist.

• edited May 2019

@BroCoast said:
    Sugar Bytes stuff is really good. You can hear it used all over this guys stuff:

He is friends with the Dev so some of the Sugar Bytes ideas have come directly from him!

I love AD for Eos 2. Great verbs.
    Spacecraft is probably the most impressive app I've used. I'm positive anything Mark Watt does in the future will be amazing.
    Noiise/Mobgen created the the other most impressive app Flux:FX but sadly they seem to no longer exist.

Thank you for the reply, and for posting a great performance, I just got Spacecraft yesterday, but haven’t gotten to it yet. I have so many new apps right now it’s going to take me a while to get to them all. I’m gonna check out AD & Eos2, as I haven’t heard of them before. I’ve not heard of Flux:FX, as I’ve been out of iOS for a while, but I’m sure there would be something on YouTube to check out, even if it’s no longer available.

• Korg for making Korg Gadget and Matt for making NS2.

Both hugely impressive and almost never crash.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That’s like asking which of your children you like the best. Not gonna touch that one.

• @reasOne said:
    I'll make a list later, but real quick... Did you get AudioKit synth one ?? Free and amazing synth!!!

Yes, I did pick up AudioKit SynthOne, and before I loaded up on grain synths, I was using the heck out of it. I know some people don’t like the idea of free apps with in app purchases to get the goods, but personally, I love being able to try a little of something out before I commit. I have really gotten some great recommendations here, and I really appreciate it, because it has saved me a great deal of frustration, from being able to avoid buying something, only to find out afterwards, that it not that great. This place is an awesome resource for people like myself, who are either new to, or have been away from using iOS for awhile.

• All of them.

• edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    Reserving opinion til we’re in a post Drambo world ;)

If this is a touchy subject, I’m legitimately surprised, just wouldn’t have expected it to be, but I be naive at times, so hopefully it won’t turn into something ugly and regretful.

• @CracklePot said:
    All of them.

Thank you for the reply, and if you’re serious I’m not surprised, making music on iOS is a whole new ballgame since I was last involved. iPad’s have gotten better, apps have gotten waaaay better, and best of all, people know a lot more than they used to back when making music on iOS was new.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Korg for making Korg Gadget and Matt for making NS2.

Both hugely impressive and almost never crash.

I love everything I’ve gotten from Korg so far, and even back in the day Gadget was ahead of it’s time. I just got Eletribe Wave, and it sounds gorgeous.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It’s a fair question @Ripper7620 - the funny thing about this scene is it is small enough to chat here with many of the developers on a regular basis so we kind of cheer them all on a bit. 🙂

Personal favs? Bram Bos, Kymatica, Kia Aras, ApeSoft, AudioKit, Woodman, Jim Pavloff, Klevgr, and yes, I agree on SugarBytes. I also think it is incredible what apps like Audiobus have become and the original vision behind it. Similarly blown away by BM3, Quantum, DrumPerfect Pro, Xequence, etc.

There’s so many now! It is amazing what choice we have and the tools we don’t have on iOS are getting created every week.

• VirSyn too!

• edited May 2019

Mark Watt... SpaceCraft @deltaVaudio

• @wim said:
    That’s like asking which of your children you like the best. Not gonna touch that one.

I fully agree!
    There are many great iOS developers out there, I also have my own list of developers that don't seem to care much about either their customers or about the quality of their apps, but anyone who takes the time to participate in this forum will find out sooner or later anyway.

• edited May 2019

Audiobus, Loopy, AUM, apeMatrix ... and with no shame GarageBand!!

• edited May 2019

Without a doubt, for me it’s Tony Saunders. Quantum is an amazing app, something I can always dive into with no idea what will happen, yet always surprised by the results, and constantly discovering new ideas. Thanks again Tony!

• edited May 2019

I would be unable to really use the platform without the dev of Modstep and now I suppose Korg Gadget would be viable since the last big update.

Then
    Brambos, Of Ruismakers etc. are a core sound source. Icegear as well.

Then of course Audiobus, AUM, Audioshare are the core apps I use for sample making to use in the above hosts.

• edited May 2019

Since Xequence and AUM are my most used apps, I would say the developers of those two apps.

@SevenSystems @j_liljedahl

• edited May 2019

First, @Michael, @brambos, @j_liljedahl and Zolotov
    Gentlemen, and giants, in my mind

(Then everybody else - because I’ve bought everything from everyone else too)

• @Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:

Yes, I did pick up AudioKit SynthOne, and before I loaded up on grain synths, I was using the heck out of it. I know some people don’t like the idea of free apps with in app purchases to get the goods, but personally, I love being able to try a little of something out before I commit. I have really gotten some great recommendations here, and I really appreciate it, because it has saved me a great deal of frustration, from being able to avoid buying something, only to find out afterwards, that it not that great. This place is an awesome resource for people like myself, who are either new to, or have been away from using iOS for awhile.

There are zero iaps with synth one! It's all free all the time, and it'll be an a soon!

• @White said:
    Since Xequence and AUM are my most used apps, I would say the developers of those two apps.

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if it’s possible to record with AUM in Auria Pro? When I get it set up in stand-alone mode inside of Auria Pro, I have so far been unable to get sound out of it. If it’s possible, do you have to route in a certain way?

• @reasOne said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:

There are zero iaps with synth one! It's all free all the time, and it'll be an a soon!

That’s awesome, and impressive, not many things are all out free in this day.

• @White said:

Thanks! There's lots of stuff to look forward to later this summer :)

• I couldn't do without AUM or Audioshare so I have to say Kymatica/@j_liljedahl...

• @Ripper7620 said:

@White said:

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if it’s possible to record with AUM in Auria Pro? When I get it set up in stand-alone mode inside of Auria Pro, I have so far been unable to get sound out of it. If it’s possible, do you have to route in a certain way?

No I'm sorry, I don't know that, I have not been using Auria Pro for a long time.

• Perhaps I have a slightly different view as a developer - iOS music development, particularly AUv3, is an interesting world devoid of much in the way of concrete information were you spend as much time second guessing what the hell Apple intended as you do writing code....

So I guess for me the pioneers like @Michael, @j_liljedahl & @brambos who showed the way (& are the reason I do this at all) are the ones who deserve the shout out!

• @SevenSystems said:

@White said:

Thanks! There's lots of stuff to look forward to later this summer :)

This is really exciting news, I will be looking forward to that 😊👍

• How does one ignore a thread?