Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

In your experience, is it more effective to use a DAW in Audiobus?

I just upgraded to Auria Pro, and I would like to know your thoughts on what is the most effective way to use AP in particular, inside of Audiobus, or as a stand-alone? Does this depend on what you are trying to accomplish? I mainly just want to record midi into Auria Pro, and be able to edit it as midi, and I just want to do it in the simplest and most effective way, and to the degree that it’s possible, leave as many options open as possible. As far as I can tell atm, running Auria Pro as a stand-alone app is working the best for recording midi, in fact, I’ve been so far, unsuccessful in getting it to work within Audiobus to record midi, but I’m straight off the boat with Auria Pro, and just got it yesterday. Thank you for any and all replies, I have the feeling my question is self evident, but wanted to ask in case I’m missing something.

Comments

• IMO, straight in Auria Pro like you’re doing is the best way to go. The only reason to bring in other apps is when you need to work around a difficulty, or if Auria is inhibiting your creativity in some way.

For instance, until very recently, Auria Pro didn’t work right with AU midi plugins, so hosting them in other apps like AudioBus was a workaround. Or, Auria’s “traditional” timeline based approach is and/or it’s interface are a creativity dampener for some, so they tend to use it mainly for mixing audio. There can be lots of reasons, but none of these seem to apply to you.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

• @wim said:
    IMO, straight in Auria Pro like you’re doing is the best way to go. The only reason to bring in other apps is when you need to work around a difficulty, or if Auria is inhibiting your creativity in some way.

For instance, until very recently, Auria Pro didn’t work right with AU midi plugins, so hosting them in other apps like AudioBus was a workaround. Or, Auria’s “traditional” timeline based approach is and/or it’s interface are a creativity dampener for some, so they tend to use it mainly for mixing audio. There can be lots of reasons, but none of these seem to apply to you.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Thank you very much for confirming what I suspected. I just got a boatload of stuff when I got paid yesterday, and I want to try everything, but I gotta exercise some self restraint, and learn one thing at a time. Not everyone has the opportunity to explore to the degree that I am able, I’m extremely lucky to be in the situation I’m in. However, a musician wiser than myself once said, “limitation is the mother of creation”, or something to that effect. I can figure this out, I just need to buckle down, and work on quality, instead of quantity.