Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are AAC files extracted from iTunes DRM-free?

Sometimes when I'm on the road and I want to buy a song, for convenience reasons I use Apple's "ITunes Store" app on the iPhone instead of my usual goto sites like junodownload.com (which uses MP3), etc...

When I'm back home I then go through a million hoops using a computer to extract the corresponding files from their iTunes "jail" and put them in my proper folder-based music library.

Recently reading on this DRM shit, I got slightly worried that those files might actually use that and that at some point in time, the God of Apple might decide I'm not worthy anymore of my (paid for) music and it just stops working!

It's very hard to find authoritative info on this on the net. Most of it is just spam for "converter" apps.

So, will these files definitely work indefinitely? (look at that sentence :D)

Comments

• tjatja
    edited May 2019

Very interesting.
    As far as i know, players like Evermusic just cannot play DRM files.

Evermusic Pro: offline music by Artem Meleshko
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evermusic-pro-offline-music/id905746421?l=en&mt=8

Evermusic: offline music + mp3 by Artem Meleshko
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evermusic-offline-music-mp3/id885367198?l=en&mt=8

Maybe just test your files with this App?

• @tja said:
    Very interesting.
    As far as i know, players like Evermusic just cannot play DRM files.

Evermusic Pro: offline music by Artem Meleshko
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evermusic-pro-offline-music/id905746421?l=en&mt=8

Evermusic: offline music + mp3 by Artem Meleshko
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evermusic-offline-music-mp3/id885367198?l=en&mt=8

Maybe just test your files with this App?

I use my own app for playing music and it uses AVAudioPlayer (an internal Apple API for playing music files), and it does play those files back fine... but that still doesn't calm me down completely :/

• Yes, just try the free Evermusic. This may give some additional insight. But I don't know if they use the same player as you internally.

You have a PM...

• From my past experience with Apple’s DRM, you would know right away if the file has it because you couldn’t move it to another device and play it. You’ll get some message about it if you try.
    Early on Apple only sold the lower res version with DRM but later added DRM free for more $. Get info or look at Properties for the file and it might say something about it. If you can play the file from several different places I’d say you’re ok. If anyone knows more please chime in.

• .m4p files are protected.

.m4a are not.

Steve jobs wrote his famous open letter about DRM and his dislike for it in about 2007 and fought to make the iTunes Store free of DRM.

• Right I forgot about the file extension being different.

• edited May 2019

@klownshed said:
    .m4p files are protected.

.m4a are not.

Steve jobs wrote his famous open letter about DRM and his dislike for it in about 2007 and fought to make the iTunes Store free of DRM.

Oh that's probably the answer then, perfect! Thanks. All files are m4a IIRC. So I should be safe.

Regarding Steve Jobs: yes, good man... unfortunately we now have an accountant at the helm...

• Answering my own question after digging through Wikipedia articles:

• @klownshed said:
    .m4p files are protected.

.m4a are not.

I googled that:

https://macdailynews.com/2007/02/06/apple_ceo_steve_jobs_posts_rare_open_letter_thoughts_on_music/

• @SevenSystems said:

When I'm back home I then go through a million hoops using a computer to extract the corresponding files from their iTunes "jail" and put them in my proper folder-based music library.

What hoops? My iTunes-bought music is right there in the iTunes media folder waiting to be put wherever I like.

• @AtticusL said:

What hoops? My iTunes-bought music is right there in the iTunes media folder waiting to be put wherever I like.

Yeah, but I already consider the fact that I have to use a computer at all to be a major "hoop". Why can't I use the Files app on my phone to simply access the music I bought on it? I've also tried the "Share" -> "Copy" feature in the Music app, but it doesn't seem to do anything -- I can't paste the file into the Files app.