Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club -May 2019

13»

Comments

• Hello guys.this is my first time posting.this is a my contribution, a chilled beat made in Cubasis.hope you enjoy it☺️

• @Marcel said:

I made this in Studio One on PC, but recorded my voice in GarageBand with iPad mic (with VocalLive noise reduction on). Didn’t manage to tweak out all the clicks, noise, etc, etc......unfortunately.
    Apart from that I think its is a good song, perhaps its too painful/vulnerable/naked, etc, but don’t worry you probably won’t understand it cause it is in Dutch, my native language. My first Dutch song. Finished it yesterday. Hope you like it, even when you don’t understand the words.

Love the instrumentals melody.simple and beautiful

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

What did you use on the intro, vocals or synth?really nice.this something I’d gladly listen to on long road trips 😂👍

• edited May 2019

@richardyot said:
    I'll collect all the entries in this post as they are submitted. Only participants that abide by the rules above will have their tracks collected here though.

@richardyot said:
    @DrRinkel
    https://open.spotify.com/track/5BCoWLos10DEp2EHrF4vsp?si=DcyrW7lqQ4yGVbrP06Ta_Q

Uneasy rhythm at times here is cool. Played with skill. Could have been longer to me. I was feeling it, waiting for where it might go dynamic wise and it ended. :(

Nice voice. In particular, I feel like you found your own voice, natural, not trying to sound like someone else. Could have used some more dynamics, if not louder, maybe just adding layers.

Good beat, good dynamics. Positive vibes. Traditional song structure I'm partial to. Overall seems a bit clean for this style of song. Just my stylistic prejudice, I like this style to sound like a regular live-ish band.

I like the timbre of the vocals. Vocals too much reverb. Drums could come up. Would have made the intro shorter or moved it to the middle or end.

Like the lyrics. Like the singing. Recording is too clean and modern - obviously a stylistic prejudice of mine.

Love all the sounds. Maybe a little long :)

Beautiful and complex sound design. We have similar app tastes. Song has some pretty big contrasts, but remains cohesive in the feels. Great job.

Here is one of mine. A chill, Low cover.
    This does have a bit of iPad synth and percussion on it, but mostly regular rock. I played guitar, bass, sang. We recorded this right before my drummer moved away, the event that prompted my journey into electronic stuff and iOS.

I recall that I wasn't planning to do the falsetto at 2:50ish, but was messing around on a draft mix in the car trying to make my kid laugh, but decided that sounds okay.

but mostly, this just happened to come up on shuffle this morning.
    http://foglings.bandcamp.com/track/words-low

• @Paa89 said:

@richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

What did you use on the intro, vocals or synth?really nice.this something I’d gladly listen to on long road trips 😂👍

Thanks for the listen and comment - the intro sounds are all synths.

I will listen and give feedback to your track first chance I get - same goes to @Multicellular

• @Paa89 said:
    Hello guys.this is my first time posting.this is a my contribution, a chilled beat made in Cubasis.hope you enjoy it☺️

Nice the see the live improv as it's actually performed, and the beat is good. There are some nice melodic themes in the jam, but it does feel very much like a live improv rather than a fully developed piece IMO, for example there isn't really a recurring melody to anchor the track.

Maybe develop the idea further by introducing a hooky melody to bookend the improv at the start and the finish, like the jazz greats used to.

• @Multicellular said:
    This does have a bit of iPad synth and percussion on it, but mostly regular rock. I played guitar, bass, sang. We recorded this right before my drummer moved away, the event that prompted my journey into electronic stuff and iOS.

I recall that I wasn't planning to do the falsetto at 2:50ish, but was messing around on a draft mix in the car trying to make my kid laugh, but decided that sounds okay.

Funny I pressed play before properly reading your post, and the first thing that came to my mind was how much this sounded like Low - so I guess you did a good job of capturing their sound :)

The performance and vibe are great, and so is the vocal. Technically very good production, and good choice of song to cover.

You've got a great voice, you should hang out here more often 🎤

• @richardyot said:

@Multicellular said:

Funny I pressed play before properly reading your post, and the first thing that came to my mind was how much this sounded like Low - so I guess you did a good job of capturing their sound :)

The performance and vibe are great, and so is the vocal. Technically very good production, and good choice of song to cover.

You've got a great voice, you should hang out here more often 🎤

Thanks for your kind words. I actually did not know this song until a couple days before recording it. Drummer, who was moving, of course we got behind on stuff, and was one of these late minute “what should we crash through recording before you leave?” I am glad we did though, I love the song now and have been catching up on Low’s catalog.

• edited May 2019

@richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

It's been bugging me for months now as to which artist I keep hearing in the back of my mind everytime I hear one of your tracks.

I finally figured it out. Hope you don't mind the comparison.
    Not this exact song mind you. It's just an example.

• @orchardman said:

So as the song goes 'its been a long time since I rock n rolled'. Over 2 years since I lasted posted a tune on here. Well done to @richardyot for keeping the song of the month club going. This one was mostly done in garage band with the vocals and the mixing done in logic than back over to the iPad for mastering in Finale.

Love, love everything about this song. The vocals the guitars, the horns, the melody. The nod to the 60-70's. Perfect.

• @LostBoy85 said:
    Hi everyone,

Just finished this one with my virtual (duo) band “Sky Lanterns”. I take care of lyrics, melody and singing and some mixing. My super talented Swedish pal Johan takes care of everything else. This is our fourth track together and all feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Needs more Yngwie Malmsteen! Like the riff at the end but MOAR, maybe a bit in the middle. Vocals great but somehow seem reserved. Good Stuff.

I haven't really got anything to pick holes in other than I'm not a big fan of police sirens in music - they can be most off-putting when driving!!

Hahahaha

• @Ripper7620 said:
    @OP, thank you very much for giving us this opportunity! Full disclosure, none of this song was done on iOS, and I apologize for that part, mainly I just wanted to share a few options that not everyone may be aware of, everything in this song played either on a midi keyboard, or for all of the percussion, Maschine MK3;

Like dubstep heavy metal! The variations from 9-11 min are cool. A bit repetitive. Interesting textures. Could use some harmony or different voicing or instruments for support of your main riff.

• edited May 2019

@PFAUX said:
    My entry for the month. Imagined in AUM, constructed in Cubasis 2. I loved using Patterning 2 on this, and my lesson learned this time around was that I should use the separate audio outs that Patterning 2 has so I can have more granular control over individual drum tracks when it comes to putting the mix together. I hope you enjoy!

The bass at the one-ish minute mark! Just wobbly enough, great texture and melody. Claps are a bit loud in some bits. Nice atmosphere.

The synth that comes in around 3.40 is a nice addition - as is the drops in the arrangement that come shortly after.

I concur, the synth towards the end was nice too. As was mentioned perhaps too long for the amount of theme variation.

• @ricksteruk said:
    Here's my May submission.

This track took a lot of effort to develop from "cool jam vibe" to finished piece. I spent a LONG time trying to figure out the arrangement... and then a long time trying to think of some words... then I decided to use some spoken word clips from Dr Jordan Peterson from his April 2019 Q&A video. I spent a long time messing with these in the Simpler in Ableton live. And finally I wrote a chorus to go with JBPs message.

I think it was entirely done in Ableton on my mac. I used Guitar MIDI 2 to play in some of the chordal synth melody parts as MIDI. I made a very quick video for it in Lumafusion.

On some speakers the 808 kick drum is a bit boomy - on others fine.. what do you think?

Good stuff. Only comment -- maybe have one of your choruses move in key -- similar to a rock anthem key change just to give some variation and surprise.

• @Jhnk said:
    Hi,
    A long time lurker, first time poster here. Just getting back into making music again. Seems like a really helpful and open group here and this song of the month thread is a great motivator to get tracks finished. I’m really enjoying listening to other people’s tracks and will post some thoughts soon. Here’s a track I made last year with Auria Pro, using fab filter Saturn for the guitar. I was happy enough with it at the time but now I think it might be “boxy” sounding, perhaps too much reverb?

Like the guitar in the beginning sounding almost vocal. Glitches are nice. I think the found audio goes on for a bit too long at one point killing the flow. Do I feel a little Queens of the Stone age?

• Don't think anyone's gonna sound like you ;)

• Catching up on my comments;

@jhnk fun little number. Interesting blend of some traditional punky rock with its nice simple guitar riff and the slightly weird spoken word passages. Overall I think it worked. I enjoyed it.

@trackedout fair dues man that was some weird shit. Liked the off beat rhythm but overall I thought it would be difficult to listen to repeatedly.

@Paa89 nice laid back vibe. Liked the idea of the video of you playing. Overall it had the feeling of a jam and it needed a hook to pull it all together.

@Multicellular Good overall production, nicely played with a great vocal. I haven’t heard the original but I enjoyed your version.

• @audiblevideo and @orchardman , well I appreciate the comments guys. Sorry u didn't like it, I like to experiment a lot but it's not about the song quality it's about the sound quality

• @audiblevideo said:

@richardyot said:
    My entry for the month:

It's been bugging me for months now as to which artist I keep hearing in the back of my mind everytime I hear one of your tracks.

I finally figured it out. Hope you don't mind the comparison.
    Not this exact song mind you. It's just an example.

Thanks for posting that - I hadn't heard this artist before, it sounds right up my street, I'll add him to my Spotify playlist.

• @trackedout said:
    @audiblevideo and @orchardman , well I appreciate the comments guys. Sorry u didn't like it, I like to experiment a lot but it's not about the song quality it's about the sound quality

I didn’t say I didn’t like it. I like it.

• @Jhnk said:
    Hi,
    A long time lurker, first time poster here. Just getting back into making music again. Seems like a really helpful and open group here and this song of the month thread is a great motivator to get tracks finished. I’m really enjoying listening to other people’s tracks and will post some thoughts soon. Here’s a track I made last year with Auria Pro, using fab filter Saturn for the guitar. I was happy enough with it at the time but now I think it might be “boxy” sounding, perhaps too much reverb?

Hi @Jhnk - sorry I didn't get round to listening to your track sooner. I think this track has a really interesting combination of styles going on - a nice mix of live rocking band and then electronic sounds - with the spoken word over top giving another flavour too! I enjoyed it.

I agree about the boxiness - the live drum / guitar tracks are a little frequency restricted in the high mids / treble end and this gives them a slightly boxy quality. It's not awful by any means - but would be better with a little more sparkle. But overall a really great sounding track.

• edited May 2019

@Jhnk - I like your track! Nice fat/thick/wide guitar sound! The voice fits real good. Natural musical spoken words. I read in Wiki that he was a poet. Nice find! Very nice instrumental around it. And the intro! Nice! Good composition, production, mix. Well done! A very nice creative project. To me it all sounds very good, and the mentioned boxiness....I don’t hear it, I guess it might depend upon the sort of headphones/speakers/monitors one listens to it.

Off topic: I recently bought the PC plugin Sonible Smart:Eq2 and for me it is a great starting point for eq-ing my mixes. (I have no commercial interest in this). I don’t imply that your mix needs this, cause it doesn’t, but for me eq-ing has always been a bit of a struggle, and this plugin made life easier in that department.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @richardyot Thanks!
    @audiblevideo Thanks, yeah I was definitely listening to a lot of QOTSA around that time, but it’s funny- I didn’t notice the influence when I was making the track.
    @ricksteruk Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, now that I think about it, I think I was too heavy handed with the high end. I’m a fairly basic guitar player and I think I was trying to iron out the guitar track.
    @Marcel thanks for the comments and the eq suggestion. I do everything from start to finish on the iPad though. For that one I was using Fab Filter pro-q 2 via Auria Pro.

Sorry to the people I haven’t posted feedback for yet... Meant to get back to this thread but it has been a busy few weeks.