Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis vs Auria - Which one do you prefer?

Nowadays everybody is talking about AUM.

But when it comes to traditional DAW which one do you prefer? What are the adventages of each app, what are pros and cons? Are they really identical to choose only one to use or may we need both for different features?

Comments

• @mozadak said:

But when it comes to traditional DAW which one do you prefer? What are the adventages of each app, what are pros and cons? Are they really identical to choose only one to use or may we need both for different features?

If you search the forum, you will find much discussion.

They are not close to equivalent. Whether one is preferable depends a ton on what your needs are. If timing resolution and sample-accurate audio (and MIDI) matters, Auria Pro is the only game in town. For a great many people that doesn’t matter.

Auria Pro has a much more extensive bussing system and a tempo track.

Some people find AP’s MIDI editing to be less friendly than Cubasis though that is far from unanimous.

Auria Pro has available (as IAPs) the FabFilter plug-ins which are generally considered best-in-class on iOS.

Auria Pro just improved (this week) the AU MIDI plug-in handling. So, some past reports you will find about that are no longer accurate.

Cubasis can record MPE.

• ...keeping my in mind that Auria Pro now handles AU MIDI plug-ins well which it didn’t when that thread was started. And it has had recent improvements in robustness as well.

• edited May 2019

This is all just IMO and YMMV etc:

Cubasis:

Pros:
    supports MPE (which Auria doesn't), easy routing and easy to understand interface. A nice and under-rated built-in synth, and WAVE IAP FX that are pretty good.

Cons:
    Very limited mixer though, no bussing or mixer routing or dedicated Aux channels (does support single FX AUX sends though). Limited audio and MIDI resolution, no audio crossfading which makes it pretty limited for audio editing.

Auria Pro:
    Pros:
    better for audio, better for mixing, has much more flexible audio routing with busses and channel sends, bigger and more precise faders (especially in portrait mode), built-in groups and also fader linking. You can do desktop level mixing with this app. Excellent built-in synths (FF Twin and One) excellent sample instrument player that loads EXS and streams large instruments off disk, including multi-GB pianos etc... And of course the FF IAP plugins which are the best on the platform. AUv3 MIDI support has just been vastly improved in the latest release.

Cons:
    Piano roll while usable is not as nice as others, no support for MPE, and it's a more complex app that has a higher learning curve.

Generally MIDI-centric musicians tend to prefer Cubasis, and audio-centric ones prefer Auria (although it's not entirely cut and dried). I use both, as well as NS2, Gadget and GarageBand. I do all my mixing in Auria, but composing and sequencing in any one of the others. It's usually pretty easy to export stems to Auria from another app.

• Easy choice: Cubasis, because I can understand it. I'm much too dumb for Auria.

• Stagelight and cubasis... Those are my fav iOS daw like substances.
    AUM and ab3 are part of everything as well

• edited May 2019

And they say Americans have no sense of history... :)

• @espiegel123 said:

@mozadak said:

They are not close to equivalent. Whether one is preferable depends a ton on what your needs are. If timing resolution and sample-accurate audio (and MIDI) matters, Auria Pro is the only game in town. For a great many people that doesn’t matter.

Some people find AP’s MIDI editing to be less friendly than Cubasis though that is far from unanimous.

Auria Pro has available (as IAPs) the FabFilter plug-ins which are generally considered best-in-class on iOS.

Auria Pro just improved (this week) the AU MIDI plug-in handling. So, some past reports you will find about that are no longer accurate.

Cubasis can record MPE.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, I appreciate it very much. I just upgraded to Auria Pro, and as you may guess, I’m still a little lost. What I would really like to do ATM, is to host AUM inside of Auria, via the midi option, being able to record midi to midi, and be able to quantize my notes to make up for my bad timing. However, since I literally just opened it up for the first time 5 minutes ago, it’s gonna take a fool like myself some time to get up to speed.

• @richardyot said:
    This is all just IMO and YMMV etc:

Cubasis:

Pros:
    supports MPE (which Auria doesn't), easy routing and easy to understand interface. A nice and under-rated built-in synth, and WAVE IAP FX that are pretty good.

Cons:
    Very limited mixer though, no bussing or mixer routing or dedicated Aux channels (does support single FX AUX sends though). Limited audio and MIDI resolution, no audio crossfading which makes it pretty limited for audio editing.

Auria Pro:
    Pros:
    better for audio, better for mixing, has much more flexible audio routing with busses and channel sends, bigger and more precise faders (especially in portrait mode), built-in groups and also fader linking. You can do desktop level mixing with this app. Excellent built-in synths (FF Twin and One) excellent sample instrument player that loads EXS and streams large instruments off disk, including multi-GB pianos etc... And of course the FF IAP plugins which are the best on the platform. AUv3 MIDI support has just been vastly improved in the latest release.

Cons:
    Piano roll while usable is not as nice as others, no support for MPE, and it's a more complex app that has a higher learning curve.

Generally MIDI-centric musicians tend to prefer Cubasis, and audio-centric ones prefer Auria (although it's not entirely cut and dried). I use both, as well as NS2, Gadget and GarageBand. I do all my mixing in Auria, but composing and sequencing in any one of the others. It's usually pretty easy to export stems to Auria from another app.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question in such a detailed manner, I appreciate that very much. Yes, I absolutely want to record midi, and be able to quantize my horrible timing. I just upgraded to Auria Pro literally minutes ago, and so of course I’m still a little lost. I upgraded to AP first, mainly because it was only $25, and so I figured I’d try it out first, then see if it meets my needs, before I jump straight into Cubasis as well. However, from reading so many great replies, I get the idea that owning both is not completely redundant, and it appears to with the cost of having both.

• @reasOne said:
    Stagelight and cubasis... Those are my fav iOS daw like substances.

Yes, absolutely, I would like to be able to host AUM inside of a DAW, be able to record, edit, and quantize midi notes. It’s starting to sound like I may need Cubasis as well, in order to do that.

• @LeonKowalski said:
    Easy choice: Cubasis, because I can understand it. I'm much too dumb for Auria.

I might be in the same boat, but we’ll see, as I just upgraded to AP. However, I really appreciate simplicity, just as much as I love options, so I’ll likely get Cubasis as well.

• Thank you very much for the link, I should not have been so lazy, and ran a search.

• Thank you very much, I appreciate the link, I need to learn how to do a search before I ask a question that’s probably been asked many times before.

• @mozadak said:

Ideally, I’d like to host AUM inside a DAW, record, and edit midi inside that DAW. I’m hoping that’s a possibility.

• @Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:

Yes, absolutely, I would like to be able to host AUM inside of a DAW, be able to record, edit, and quantize midi notes. It’s starting to sound like I may need Cubasis as well, in order to do that.

You don't need to host AUM inside of Auria to quantize MIDI notes, in fact I don't see how AUM is useful for this since it doesn't have a timeline or sequencer.

It's very simple to record and quantize MIDI in Auria Pro:

Create a MIDI track and arm it for recording

Record a performance using either an external controller or the built-in keyboard (or a third-party app)

Once the MIDI is recorded you can select the region and edit or quantize. Auria supports non-destructive swing and quantize which is pretty useful.

• @richardyot said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@reasOne said:

You don't need to host AUM inside of Auria to quantize MIDI notes, in fact I don't see how AUM is useful for this since it doesn't have a timeline or sequencer.

It's very simple to record and quantize MIDI in Auria Pro:

Create a MIDI track and arm it for recording

Record a performance using either an external controller or the built-in keyboard (or a third-party app)

Once the MIDI is recorded you can select the region and edit or quantize. Auria supports non-destructive swing and quantize which is pretty useful.

Awesome, thank you very much, I appreciate it!

• @Ripper7620 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@mozadak said:

Cubasis can record MPE.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply, I appreciate it very much. I just upgraded to Auria Pro, and as you may guess, I’m still a little lost. What I would really like to do ATM, is to host AUM inside of Auria, via the midi option, being able to record midi to midi, and be able to quantize my notes to make up for my bad timing. However, since I literally just opened it up for the first time 5 minutes ago, it’s gonna take a fool like myself some time to get up to speed.

I am not sure what you mean about hosting AUM in AP. In most cases, you can do the same hosting in AP that you can in AUM. If you give some specifics, we can help you figure it out.

Some of APs stuff is not obvious at first glance but straightforward once you've done it once.

• This might help, when I've got some spare time I will do one of these explaining the piano roll editor:

• Our friend Mister Yot is far too modest to share his own generous efforts, but on the road to learning/appreciating all that Auria offers, this short video about things swing and otherwise is a great contribution to any slow man's learning...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32416/auria-pro-realtime-midi-effects-video-demo

• @espiegel123 said:

@mozadak said:

Cubasis can record MPE.

Thank you very much, yes, I absolutely prefer to work in midi, as opposed to straight audio, so Cubasis is gonna happen as well, but because of all that Auria Pro is said to be capable of, as well as their top tier plugins, I very much doubt that I’ll regret spending the money on both. From all the feedback I’m getting, it really doesn’t sound like it’s an either or choice for my wants and needs, but rather both will not be regretted.

• edited May 2019

Cubasis is definitely more straightforward and easier to learn, but that's because Auria is a much deeper app. It's definitely worth taking the time to read the Auria manual and watching a few YT videos about it, because it does have a learning curve. However taking the time to learn it will pay dividends because it is a very powerful DAW.

• @richardyot said:
    Cubasis is definitely more straightforward and easier to learn, but that's because Auria is a much deeper app. It's definitely worth taking the time to read the Auria manual and watching a few YT videos about it, because it does have a learning curve. However taking the time to learn it will pay dividends because it is a very powerful DAW.

Thank you very much, I just picked up Cubasis for good measure, and because I love simple, I have the feeling that I’ll be using it quite a lot.

• @Ripper7620 : fwiw, I don't find Cubasis any more straightforward for MIDI than Auria Pro...as long as one is willing to invest 20 minutes or so to read through the Auria Pro manual.

I think AP has a couple of conventions that aren't obvious that are confusing until you know what they are. When I read the manual, I was annoyed at myself for not having spent a little time with it first.

And the realtime MIDI channel strip is so useful.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Ripper7620 : fwiw, I don't find Cubasis any more straightforward for MIDI than Auria Pro...as long as one is willing to invest 20 minutes or so to read through the Auria Pro manual.

I think AP has a couple of conventions that aren't obvious that are confusing until you know what they are. When I read the manual, I was annoyed at myself for not having spent a little time with it first.

And the realtime MIDI channel strip is so useful.

Thank you for pointing that out, as I really prefer to learn by doing, but AP is so advanced, I don’t believe that method is going to be in my best interest, so I’ll be hitting YouTube for tutorials, and forcing myself to do what I absolutely hate more than anything, which is reading an instruction manual.

• Hey, I’m working in Auria Pro right now, recording midi notes, and it’s showing up as midi notes, but when I go to quantize, I’m getting a swing, or shuffle result.

• If the timing of the original track is really off then the non-destructive quantize might not work as expected, because quantize can only snap to the nearest grid point (so if the original performance is off by more than one grid increment the quantization won't work).

The way around that is to do a destructive quantize: select your MIDI region and then go to Process --> Quantize. Once done you can then open the piano roll editor and shift any notes that are incorrectly quantized by hand.

• @richardyot said:
    If the timing of the original track is really off then the non-destructive quantize might not work as expected, because quantize can only snap to the nearest grid point (so if the original performance is off by more than one grid increment the quantization won't work).

The way around that is to do a destructive quantize: select your MIDI region and then go to Process --> Quantize. Once done you can then open the piano roll editor and shift any notes that are incorrectly quantized by hand.

Thank you very much for the detailed information, I really appreciate it.

• @richardyot : Tha> @richardyot said:

Good advice @richardyot : Yes, I find the Auria manual to be one the very best one on iOS not to mention the plug in one as well.

• @Ripper7620 said:

@mozadak said:

Ideally, I’d like to host AUM inside a DAW, record, and edit midi inside that DAW. I’m hoping that’s a possibility.

Sadly, that's not a possibility because an AU host can't host another AU host. Still, this type of setup is absolutely possible using Audiobus. Route AUM audio and MIDI (as AB inputs) to your iDAW (as AB outputs). I find Cubasis to be friendly here.