OT: The Enemy Within

edited May 2 in Off-topic

My friends, I need to show you something and hope you will understand my intent is not to inflame, or even encourage heated debate. My intent is that we should all see and understand what is going on in the minds of many Americans (and all over the globe) these days more than ever.

It has been so easy for me to attribute much of the current events in the US to the simple escalation of political combat (there are fine people on both sides, after all) and that they are events that can be controlled by the rule of law and the administration of a good dose of the US constitution. However, after today, I am really not so sure. I want to be able to comfort myself and say “everything will be alright” but today I am not so sure. I want to believe democratic institutions will hold and continue on in their flawed way to make the best of a bad situation and that we, as Americans, are citizens of the world and will always, in our hearts, strive to overcome the obstacles of the dark side of our natures. But today I am not so sure..

I was watching FOX news to get their slant on Attorney General William Barr’s testimony before the Senate. Though it is personally disturbing, I try to inform myself as to the alternate reality that now exists in the minds of roughly a third of American voters. While listening I hit the comments and found this exchange about Jerry Nadler, US Congressman and Democratic leader of one of the committees trying to exert some oversight (as is their constitutional mandate) over the current administration.

Johanna Roets
Nadler with a face like that I'll stay in the water. looks like a frog.
13 minutes ago

Mario
Too bad someone didn't decide to kill him at the time he was born. Oh well... Someone can just kill him now!
Who volunteers for the job?

I have read many a hateful comment but this one.... well, this is something quite special, is it not?
There is nothing more for me to say except words matter and these speak for themselves. I only ask that your thoughts remain collegial and refrain from bashing any particular person or organization. Thank you.

«13456712

Comments

  • In my home, my wife and I are EXTREMELY strict when it comes to manners with the kids. They are given zero leeway, and are expected to use please/thank you/excuse me with not only outsiders, but mom, dad and eachother as well. We don't give on this, and get comments all the time about how polite our kids are. I didn't point this out to pat myself on the back; rather to make a point.

    The world is really angry right now and this wonderful invention of the Internet has given each of us a megaphone. In doing so, we've forgotten that manners, common decency, mutual respect, and understanding matter. Any disagreement is now a free ticket to HATE a person, rather than simply to disagree with their ideas.

    I just watched a travel video which talked about how the ancient Romans portrayed their foes in their art. When the empire was booming and the Romans were on the up-and-up, they portrayed their enemies as having fought with honor and valour despite their defeat. However, when the empire began to slide and the Romans began losing, all the sudden they started portaying their enemies as weak and cowardly. I find it an interesting commentary that runs very parallel to what is happening now.

    The tactic has become that we demonize anyone with an idea or belief that opposes our own. Disinformation is the name of the game. I've often maintained that the loudest voices in any given argument are the folks on the extreme ends of the spectrum: they've got the most to yell about, whereas those that are somewhere in the middle are less disgruntled and therefore are less vocal about their displeasure. What ends up happening is that after a while, ALL WE HEAR are the extremes because they are the only ones arguing any more. And of course, we all love a good drama so let's tune in and bet on the outcome, right?

    It gets tougher and tougher to live a life of positivity, simplicity, and kindness. This is what we try to teach our kids - I don't know that I'm succeeding, but that's the goal. As my wife says:

    KINDNESS FIRST. ALWAYS.

    I think the world may need a bit of a reminder.

  • edited May 2

    sadly twitter didn't erase the potus account for hate speech, old bitch mouth was considered to important
    what to expect from ppl with such a bull in the china shop as standard?
    not much
    🧐
    it will take years to fix the damage done on so many levels
    greetings from the EU
    boy am I glad I dont have to deal with this directly

  • I believe that bad people exist, I believe in false equivalency, and I believe in good will.

  • I think what are living through in an aberration but I have been wrong so many times in recents years that I could be wrong about this as well and it could get worse. The next major election cycle will be important to see where way we're headed. I believe that the pendulum swings from side to side and there will be a shift towards more democratic values and respect for traditional norms. Lying has typically be disqualifying for any public office and I'd like to see it have consequences again. Cynical people will say "Politicians always lie" but there's a clear distinction between spin and outright falsehood. The count is past 10,000 for the current occupant of the White House and the rate of lying is accelerating.

  • @McD said:
    I think what are living through in an aberration but I have been wrong so many times in recents years that I could be wrong about this as well and it could get worse. The next major election cycle will be important to see where way we're headed. I believe that the pendulum swings from side to side and there will be a shift towards more democratic values and respect for traditional norms. Lying has typically be disqualifying for any public office and I'd like to see it have consequences again. Cynical people will say "Politicians always lie" but there's a clear distinction between spin and outright falsehood. The count is past 10,000 for the current occupant of the White House and the rate of lying is accelerating.

    This. I'd say the same thing if it was a despotic, autocratic Democrat. Or anyone of any party. 4 more years would change it from an abberation to a norm, and have lasting impact for decades... like.... the rest of my life. Let alone the damage it will do to my children (I'll seriously start working on skills and knowledge necessary to move out of the USA if at all possible).

  • To me the biggest problem of all is that we don’t share the same facts anymore here in the US. So nothing can ever be resolved, the truth is whatever you want it to be.

  • @Max23 said:
    greetings from the EU
    boy am I glad I dont have to deal with this directly

    @vitocorleone123 said:
    (I'll seriously start working on skills and knowledge necessary to move out of the USA if at all possible).

    Yep - started working on that move before the current political debacle for entirely different reasons, but the resolve to leave is only strengthened by the continued downward spiral.

    Fingers and other extremities crossed that things come to pass in 2020... It's not soon enough.

  • Some 30 years ago there were songs about our current situation...

  • Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

  • Just saying hi before the thread gets locked, no politics on the Audiobus forum and all that.

  • @Tarekith said:
    Just saying hi before the thread gets locked, no politics on the Audiobus forum and all that.

    Hi. Couldn’t help myself. Shouldn’t get this annoyed before bedtime!

  • In a sort of related topic, I did sound for a local awards show in nyc a few weeks ago and Jerry Nadler was there getting an award, nice guy who seems to care about serving people. I could be wrong, and I had no idea who he was at the time. I don’t get too riled up about politics because I have other things to focus on in my life. It is what it is.

  • edited May 3

    @Max23 said:
    sadly twitter didn't erase the potus account for hate speech, old bitch mouth was considered to important
    what to expect from ppl with such a bull in the china shop as standard?
    not much
    🧐
    it will take years to fix the damage done on so many levels
    greetings from the EU
    boy am I glad I dont have to deal with this directly

    Thankfully, unlike in many parts of the world, “hate speech” is still constitutionally protected. I’m truly a sorry you and your fellow citizens are not free to express yourselves fully.

  • @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    My friends, I need to show you something and hope you will understand my intent is not to inflame, or even encourage heated debate. My intent is that we should all see and understand what is going on in the minds of many Americans (and all over the globe) these days more than ever.

    It has been so easy for me to attribute much of the current events in the US to the simple escalation of political combat (there are fine people on both sides, after all) and that they are events that can be controlled by the rule of law and the administration of a good dose of the US constitution. However, after today, I am really not so sure. I want to be able to comfort myself and say “everything will be alright” but today I am not so sure. I want to believe democratic institutions will hold and continue on in their flawed way to make the best of a bad situation and that we, as Americans, are citizens of the world and will always, in our hearts, strive to overcome the obstacles of the dark side of our natures. But today I am not so sure..

    I was watching FOX news to get their slant on Attorney General William Barr’s testimony before the Senate. Though it is personally disturbing, I try to inform myself as to the alternate reality that now exists in the minds of roughly a third of American voters. While listening I hit the comments and found this exchange about Jerry Nadler, US Congressman and Democratic leader of one of the committees trying to exert some oversight (as is their constitutional mandate) over the current administration.


    Johanna Roets
    Nadler with a face like that I'll stay in the water. looks like a frog.
    13 minutes ago

    Mario
    Too bad someone didn't decide to kill him at the time he was born. Oh well... Someone can just kill him now!
    Who volunteers for the job?

    I have read many a hateful comment but this one.... well, this is something quite special, is it not?
    There is nothing more for me to say except words matter and these speak for themselves. I only ask that your thoughts remain collegial and refrain from bashing any particular person or organization. Thank you.

    Im terribly sorry you encountered some hateful comments online. Unfortunately that’s the nature of the medium. They come from all sides though, and when I encounter them, I often reply with my own opinion and I always remember people have sacrificed their lives to protect our constitutional rights.

  • @Tarekith said:
    Just saying hi before the thread gets locked, no politics on the Audiobus forum and all that.

    I am lucky to live in Canada where everything is perfect and therefore don’t need to pay attention to politics.

  • @robertreynolds said:

    @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

    I’m curious to know what those accomplishments are

  • @AudioGus said:

    @Tarekith said:
    Just saying hi before the thread gets locked, no politics on the Audiobus forum and all that.

    I am lucky to live in Canada where everything is perfect and therefore don’t need to pay attention to politics.

    Aren’t you about to go to war with the Philippines?

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @robertreynolds said:

    @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

    I’m curious to know what those accomplishments are

    You don’t have the internet? Come on man...

  • edited May 3

    I know this is about to get locked but I just wanna share my favorite response to a question on music and politics. Neal Schon is the lead guitarist of Journey, and he’s definitely a valley dude, and you could even take this as a shallow response. But I love it. No hesitation answer. 9:38 through 10:38 if timestamp doesn’t work. Just nails my feeling on life/politics/music.

  • @robertreynolds said:

    @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

    @robertreynolds said:

    @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

    Fuck that ridiculous noise.

  • @robertreynolds said:

    @AudioGus said:

    @Tarekith said:
    Just saying hi before the thread gets locked, no politics on the Audiobus forum and all that.

    I am lucky to live in Canada where everything is perfect and therefore don’t need to pay attention to politics.

    Aren’t you about to go to war with the Philippines?

    Thats a load of garbage.

  • edited May 3

    Correction: 50-103 loads of garbage. Sorry Philippines!

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/garbage-philippines-duterte-manilla-1.5120279

  • @robertreynolds said:

    @Littlewoodg said:

    @robertreynolds said:

    @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

    I’m curious to know what those accomplishments are

    You don’t have the internet? Come on man...

    Of course I have the internet, that’s exactly why I’m interested in hearing your list of his accomplishments.

  • edited May 3

    The masses are a rude bunch of louts, which will likely never change, but who knows.

  • @AudioGus said:

    @robertreynolds said:

    @AudioGus said:

    @Tarekith said:
    Just saying hi before the thread gets locked, no politics on the Audiobus forum and all that.

    I am lucky to live in Canada where everything is perfect and therefore don’t need to pay attention to politics.

    Aren’t you about to go to war with the Philippines?

    Thats a load of garbage.

    Best response post I’ve read all day!

  • Vote for Pedro

  • @JeffChasteen said:

    @robertreynolds said:

    @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

    @robertreynolds said:

    @barabajagal said:
    Elect a clown, expect a circus.
    A person that wants to erect walls, demonise immigrants, denigrate women , denies climate change and generally puts his foot in his mouth every fucking time he rocks up just about anywhere - why oh why did you do it America ? He’s a Carney man
    Can’t wait for the angry apricot to land in UK this summer

    He’s got a longer accomplishment list in two years than his predecessor in 8. Enjoy your wall-less “, sovereign-less country. I’m sure it’s going to be paradise in about 10 years.

    Fuck that ridiculous noise.

    But, but, but...
    Lies ARE accomplishments!

    Over 10,000 told!
    ;)

  • edited May 3

    @oat_phipps said:

    I know this is about to get locked but I just wanna share my favorite response to a question on music and politics. Neal Schon is the lead guitarist of Journey, and he’s definitely a valley dude, and you could even take this as a shallow response. But I love it. No hesitation answer. 9:38 through 10:38 if timestamp doesn’t work. Just nails my feeling on life/politics/music.

    Nice. That's how I feel.

This discussion has been closed.