Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

One for the PPG fans

This is what out friend Wolfgang Palm was up to in 1986 - The PPG Realizer.

And yes, that is a virtual Minimoog on screen. So Wolfgang pretty much invented software synthesis and a very early prototype of an iOS style software instrument more than 10 years before anybody else. Unfortunately PPG went bust the following year.

And the price for this technology in 1986 - a cool $65,000!

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/ppgrealizer.php

Comments

• This seemed so exciting when I was young - amazing that we have easy access to something sooo much more powerful

• Wow! Never wanna see any complaints about the 20$ price tag of ppg apps again 🤣🤣
    That is bad ass

• @pagefall said:
    This seemed so exciting when I was young - amazing that we have easy access to something sooo much more powerful

I often think about the sheer amount of synthesis power we now carry around with us and take for granted.

• @reasOne said:
    Wow! Never wanna see any complaints about the 20$ price tag of ppg apps again 🤣🤣
    That is bad ass

It certainly puts things into perspective.

• not just the synthesis - studios seemed unattainable back then - bands and artists would invest all their income so they could have home studios. I've got a home rig and a portable setup at least as well equipped....

• Yeah now if AB or AUM adds Qwerty MIDI support we can actually connect a neat lil numpad like it had.

• @BroCoast said:
    Yeah now if AB or AUM adds Qwerty MIDI support we can actually connect a neat lil numpad like it had.

That would be cool!

• tjatja
    edited October 2019

That’s impressive, indeed.
    Only bought PPG Infinite, so far.
    Should buy more, just to support.

• I love vintage stuff...

• @tja said:
    That’s impressive, indeed.
    Only bought PPG Infinite, so far.
    Should buy more, just to support.

You can’t go wrong with any of those. Wavemapper is a good companion for Infinite.

Wavetables, samples and the voice thingys (phonemes) from Phonem can be shared between PPG synths.

Be sure to grab the extra packs if you haven’t done so already. Some great sounds in there, free to download from PPG website.