Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iLoud Speakers

Week long work travel hotel rig. Got some IK iLoud speakers as I didnt have any mini portable speakers.

And like a stabby girl with no name, I am reminded to not judge to quickly on size.

I knew they’d be plenty loud for my purposes from the specs but they do sound nicely full range. Surprising amount of bass.

I could definitely see a decent mixing setup with these very near field.

Comments

• I just ordered the single stereo iloud speaker today because it runs on batteries. That’s a sweet set up but you have to plug in the two speakers separately every time, correct?

• @Telstar5 said:
    I just ordered the single stereo iloud speaker today because it runs on batteries. That’s a sweet set up but you have to plug in the two speakers separately every time, correct?

There is a proprietary cable that connects the two speakers. Four prong, for the audio and power. And ya, no batteries. Interested in your take on the battery one.

• edited April 2019

The iLoud battery model is very good. It has flat response, and surprising volume. The bluetooth function is very good (reliable), and it has decent battery life. I have both iLoud models, and the new iRig Micro amp (that I haven't tried yet...too busy). All these items are very useful. They have a new (very expensive , $600US?) iLoud model that's like the Micros, but has another full range driver(2x4" +2"). Must be something.

• I’ve had the OG iLoud for years, and it’s fantastic. It’s also very loud. I find the battery drains even when it’s off, but that could just be my unit. It’s also not very portable.

But it sounds fantastic.

• I am saving money for the iloud. My idea is to use them for the iPad but also for my helix and play guitar through them. Will this work? I love the size of them, since I don’t have a dedicated room to make music I can hide them easily haha, thanks!

• @Mist>; @mistercharlie said:

I’ve had the OG iLoud for years, and it’s fantastic. It’s also very loud. I find the battery drains even when it’s off, but that could just be my unit. It’s also not very portable.

But it sounds fantastic.

@mistercharlie : It’s only 1.8 lbs though ..

• @Multicellular said:

@Telstar5 said:
    I just ordered the single stereo iloud speaker today because it runs on batteries. That’s a sweet set up but you have to plug in the two speakers separately every time, correct?

There is a proprietary cable that connects the two speakers. Four prong, for the audio and power. And ya, no batteries. Interested in your take on the battery one.

@Multicellular : So you’re saying I’d need I’d need only a single outlet to plug the two speakers? Cool!

• @mistercharlie and @Nubus :
    I wanna use it for my new Yamaha MODX Synth keyboard . I wonder if you can actually perceive the stereo effect being the two drivers are so close together. I’m gonna be going in stereo. I just need enough spread to be able to perceive some semblance of a stereo image .. and possibly ping pong delay perhaps . Thoughts?

• @Telstar5 I don’t know about stereo effects — I’ll check it later today. But stereo makes a massive difference to the perceived size of the sound, even when the drivers are in the same box.

@Telstar5 said:
    @Mist>; @mistercharlie said:

I’ve had the OG iLoud for years, and it’s fantastic. It’s also very loud. I find the battery drains even when it’s off, but that could just be my unit. It’s also not very portable.

@mistercharlie : It’s only 1.8 lbs though ..

Good point. I was thinking more about the size when packing a small backpack for travel.

• @Telstar5 said:

@Multicellular said:

@Telstar5 said:

@Multicellular : So you’re saying I’d need I’d need only a single outlet to plug the two speakers? Cool!

Correct.

• These things cost as much as the Rokit 5s or the JBL MkII. I can't believe that a product by IK Multimedia is on the same level. But the testimonials are undeniable.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    These things cost as much as the Rokit 5s or the JBL MkII. I can't believe that a product by IK Multimedia is on the same level. But the testimonials are undeniable.

I think you are, well Ill speak for myself, i am definitely paying more for these just for how travel friendly they are. I have regular studio monitors in the home studio, that are better for a treated space, less near field. These wont replace them. But those can't safely go in a backpack.

• edited May 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    These things cost as much as the Rokit 5s or the JBL MkII. I can't believe that a product by IK Multimedia is on the same level. But the testimonials are undeniable.

Different category. This iK stuff is travel gear. Even the iloud Micros are for the road. They have a travel bag.
    iK makes a lot of niche stuff. You can obviously do travel with any stuff, but it's not designed for it. I have the travel bag for the Micros and it makes things easier. Packing up two speakers with all the cabling is a PITA. I've done it a lot. I have to use foam between the speakers, and they still get banged up. Not fun. Having a travel bag made for it is great.

Then again, if you need 8", those JBLs may be what you need regardless.

• edited May 2019

delete duplicate

• @Nubus said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

Different category. This iK stuff is travel gear. Even the iloud Micros are for the road. They have a travel bag.
    iK makes a lot of niche stuff. You can obviously do travel with any stuff, but it's not designed for it. I have the travel bag for the Micros and it makes things easier. Packing up two speakers with all the cabling is a PITA. I've done it a lot. I have to use foam between the speakers, and they still get banged up. Not fun. Having a travel bag made for it is great.

Then again, if you need 8", those JBLs may be what you need regardless.

That makes great sense, thanks. Not a priority for me, so I was ignorant of its use.

• @Nubus said:
    The iLoud battery model is very good. It has flat response, and surprising volume. The bluetooth function is very good (reliable), and it has decent battery life. I have both iLoud models, and the new iRig Micro amp (that I haven't tried yet...too busy). All these items are very useful. They have a new (very expensive , $600US?) iLoud model that's like the Micros, but has another full range driver(2x4" +2"). Must be something.

So what would u say is the difference between the pair of cables mickros and the single speaker version. They are both similarly priced. Obviously one is a steep pair but is that that important when mixing? Or is the other single speaker enough to provide a good idea of stereo for mixing?

• The iLoud Micro speakers have been an excellent "midway" monitor solution providing breaks from headphones or the too-big-for-most-sessions Mackie HR824s: learn the iLoud's sound (as you might a pair of solid headphones) and set them up right for you physically (mine are just below ear level x Super nearfield placement) and you've got a solid setup.

I can get a mix about 70% "there" with headphones and 85% between headphones and iLouds with the HR824s revealing whatever I missed in the low / sub range.

• I got the Micro Monitors simply because of lack of space in my studio room, plus it’s an odd shape and the desk isn’t centred in any way so the acoustics are probably dreadful. They are meant for near field, ie being close to them, which minimises the room’s influence anyway, hopefully. The more expensive MTMs have proper room calibration, but at a significant cost.

I have them on the desk about 75cm apart and toed in so they are directly pointing at my head when I pull back a short distance from the desk so they make an equilateral triangle with my head. Ideally they’d be a little closer together, but this setup works well for me. I use them while monitoring and mixing, and I find them slightly bass heavy, if anything - not in sub frequencies, obviously! I have the EQ set to Desk, though I have been thinking of maybe using the bass cut as well, as they are close to the wall, too - may be why they sound a little bass heavy at the moment. Stereo imaging is fine, though a little lacking in front to back depth sometimes.

All in all, I’m very happy with them. Hope this is helpful.