Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ableton Link & iMono/Poly

Is there really no way to get iMono/Poly to sync up with Ableton Link?

I'm hoping someone's found a workaround, perhaps a StreamByter script that functions as an arpeggiator which can be fed into iMono/Poly. Can anyone with StreamByter experience tell me if they think this is possible? Or if it is already available somewhere? :smiley:

It is possible to create a script via StreamByter that syncs up with Ableton Link, right? If this is conceivable but not available, I'd be happy to figure it out and share it here.

iMono/Poly's built in arpeggiator is great, but no MIDI clock functionality !?!?!? No way!

Comments

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@cnsg_music said:
    It is possible to create a script via StreamByter that syncs up with Ableton Link, right? If this is conceivable but not available, I'd be happy to figure it out and share it here.

Nope. StreamByter doesn’t have access to midi, IAA or Link sync/clock.

• edited April 2019

@wim said:

@cnsg_music said:

Nope. StreamByter doesn’t have access to any kind of system clock.

Oh man. I like where your head was going. I feel like there must be some way, even if not through StreamByter.

Ah! I just remembered that Rozetta arp can mostly perform as I want it to, but it fails in that there is no CC64/sustain capability. I think StreamByter could help with that! I will give this a try and report back.

• Could always host monopoly in Gadget - then you have it Linked.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

Actually, any host. iMono/Poly gets the tempo via IAA sync from the host. Link is only needed if you have to run it standalone, @cnsg_music

Wtf? Doesn’t work. SERIOUSLY KORG?!??

• @Halftone said:
    Could always host monopoly in Gadget - then you have it Linked.

True, but I need them Program Changes!!

@wim said:
    Actually, any host. iMono/Poly gets the tempo via IAA sync from the host. Link is only needed if you have to run it standalone, @cnsg_music

Wtf? Doesn’t work. SERIOUSLY KORG?!??

I know!!!

• edited April 2019

Okay, so I tried something with limited success. (Hey, better than nothing?)

In AB3, I'm running my keyboard > SB > Rozeta Arp > Virtual Midi

Then in MidiFlow, I take that Virtual Midi and route it into iMono/Poly but make sure to filter out CC64. I'm running a script I found online to simulate the effects of a sustain pedal. (I posted the script on this forum once, post is called "iSEM -- Now with CC64 Functionality".) Reason I did this was so that iMono/Poly doesn't read the CC64 message from my pedal and hold notes itself -- because then it would be ruining the effects of Rozeta Arpeggiator.

It works! I'm able to play arpeggios in time with Ableton Link in iMono/Poly. ..... But, it just doesn't sound great. For one, it doesn't have "Latching"/Sustain/CC64 functionality via MIDI control. (WOW!) Also, each time you add an additional note to the sequence, even in "Latching" mode (on screen) enabled -- or with the StreamByter script -- it seems to stutter as it adapts to the new pattern. And there's just something weird about the gating effect it does, but it can be somewhat ameliorated in the synth by increasing its release.

All in all, in a pinch it may work for something, but Rozeta Arp is really not as good as the arpeggiator inside iMono/Poly by a long shot, at least for real-time playing which is what I'm after. Still it was a fun experiment.

Wish Rozeta Arpeggiator could be developed a little more to perform better for real time playing. The assignable parameters you can control via MIDI are pretty limited, although I gotta say it's nice they included 'swing' in their arpeggiator.

• Yeah another reason why KORG should make all their apps AUv3. Their iAA implementation was always unfinished. Only a few had sync like iWavestation.