Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis, Audiobus & Midi Clock: How does it work?

2»

Comments

• No. No end. No round or over. Only through.

• In Auria , go to menu and select settings and pick midi at the bottom of the screen and you will see the midi options for the apps in you're current project.Hope that helps.

• A lot of MIDI utility apps are being developed to try to solve the problem. This just adds to the complexity of setups. Apple has implemented comprehensive audio and MIDI integration with Mac DAWs using AU plug-ins; why can't they do this with the iOS environment? How bad is the iOS SDK? I am not a programmer; just a desparate end user musician.

• Bye the way,Auria will send start/stop messages to StepPolyArp in Audiobus .Just turn on sync in SPA and in Auria turn on send clock to SPA on the midi page. IPad Air 1,IOS 7.12.Now you can control both from the Audiobus strip in StepPolyArp.

• edited May 2015

@Jomazz said:
    Bye the way,Auria will send start/stop messages to StepPolyArp in Audiobus .Just turn on sync in SPA and in Auria turn on send clock to SPA on the midi page. IPad Air 1,IOS 7.12.Now you can control both from the Audiobus strip in StepPolyArp.

It is possible to get Auria control things with MIDI sync, but I'm not convinced that Auria ever sends real MIDI Start messages (FA). I've only seen it send a Song Position Pointer (F2) of zero followed by a Continue message (FB). If you can tell me how to convince it to send an FA, I would like to know. I'd like to be able to make a list of instructions for each popular program in order to get it to work with Diode-108.

• @daveproper said:
    OK, here's a shot at it. This solution works on an Axiom Air Mini 32. There's some weirdness in how they implemented.

For example, the transport keys (stop, play, record) are actually mapped to Midi CCs #16, 17, 18 with note on/off. This means that hitting the Play key sends on Midi CC 16 at 127. Releasing it sends on Midi CC 16 at 0.

1) Download Midibridge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midibridge/id449160859?mt=8... This isn't the only cool thing you can do with it. The dev is extremely responsive on the Audeonic forum and will help you figure out if something is possible and how to map it.

2) Open the Stream Byter inside Midibridge. You will have to understand that all messages will be entered in Hex instead of Decimal. For example Stop is Midi CC 16 (decimal) = Hex 10, Play is Midi CC 17 (decimal) = Hex 11, etc.

3) Map the transport functions to send clock signals. Midi Start is FA and Midi Stop is FC. In the code used by Stream Byter it would look like this:

B0 10 = FC
    B0 11 = FA
    ^ B0 is denoting Midi channel 1

Its not something that is super easy to set up, but its learnable. Every controller will have a slightly different set up to make this work. I've also used Midibridge to setup keyboard splits to control different apps as well as block note off messages to enable continuos looping (this controller only works as momentary).

Wow, thank you for this thorough and elaborate looking work around! It's a shame no one ran with it on this thread after some time has past.

With the latest Cubasis on 1.9.5, are there any more solutions to this syncing nightmare??

• Might as well update this even though it's old since Cubasis 3 is out now and can send midi clock and use ableton link.