Audiobus: Your virtual music studio.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Unit for panning?

I’m looking for an audio unit effect that can do automated panning. If I want to auto-pan a track in GarageBand, I have to duplicate the track and do a volume automation to both, in opposite directions. It works, but it’s kinda nuts.

I want an AU that I can load into a GarageBand track effects slot, to let me pan the track. I sometimes like to make hi hats spin around the track, for example.

Any ideas?

Comments

  • Ivcs3 comes with a vca au fx module that can pan

  • Virtualroom?

  • Maybe this? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding you and barking up the wrong tree... Panning Delay AUv3 Plugin by 4Pockets.com

  • edited April 29

    Kosmonaut?
    Edit, VirtualRoom is great too...

  • In Garageband if you just want simple circular panning you can use the built in Tremelo effect.

  • I think Virtual Room Pro is what you’re looking for.

  • Thanks all! Those are some nice options.

    @ToMess said:
    Ivcs3 comes with a vca au fx module that can pan

    Good, but a bit too much for just adding a pan. Cool-looking app though!

    I already have Kosmonaut. I’ll start there.

  • Brilliant. Garageband’s built-in tremolo does the trick! Slow, 100% depth, and stereo phase set to max. Kosmonaut does the trick too. I bought it to use as a looper, and never dug in to the rest of it. I can see it becoming an essential tool.

  • edited April 30

    @mistercharlie said:
    Thanks all! Those are some nice options.

    @ToMess said:
    Ivcs3 comes with a vca au fx module that can pan

    Good, but a bit too much for just adding a pan. Cool-looking app though!

    I already have Kosmonaut. I’ll start there.

    Au modules are just parts of the synth. Vca is actually this simple

    That app is definitely worth buying imo, even just for the au modules alone. You also get for example a spring reverb, which is an impulse response of the real thing. Vca can also give nice coloring to the sound

  • @audio_DT said:
    Maybe this? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding you and barking up the wrong tree... Panning Delay AUv3 Plugin by 4Pockets.com

    Very nice

  • When I was young (382626829 years ago), that effect was simply called AutoPan. Not sure if Apple nailed it by calling it "Tremolo" 🤷‍♂️ (yes OK, a tremolo with adjustable stereo time offset... but that's a bit like selling a car under the title "USB power bank" because it has an USB charging outlet 😂)

  • Two other options that will do exactly what you want via their LFO feature is the Brambos Rozeta suite ($9.99), and apeMatrix, which costs a little more but is the ultimate multi-FX host ($11.99).

    Rozeta Suite has the advantage of being an AU. apeMatrix has the advantage of being an excellent sub-host for AU FX and instruments.

    They're both very lightweight in terms of their DSP overhead.

  • Isn’t Rozeta just for midi though?

  • Do GB's channel faders respond to midi? If so, then Rozeta's LFOs would do the job.

  • @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Do GB's channel faders respond to midi? If so, then Rozeta's LFOs would do the job.

    I shall check. Epic if true.

  • I use Kosmonaut for panning all the time.

  • edited April 30

    @mistercharlie said:
    Isn’t Rozeta just for midi though?

    Yes Rozeta or apeMatrix provide the LFO midi data to drive a Pan control on a mixer. The benefit of apeMatrix is that it includes a mixer of it's own so it's easy to hook up the LFO to drive the Pan control. With Rozeta, you'll use the LFO to drive the pan in AUM (assign a midi CC to AUM's pan and set the LFO in Rozeta to the same MIDI CC number).

    In both cases you can choose the LFO waveform to set up different panning behaviour. Rozeta has the further advantage that you can set two LFO's in series, and this creates a more complex behaviour than a simple triangle or sine wave alone. apeMatrix has the advantage of providing smoother panning behaviour as it's not limited to MIDI CC's 128 possible values (you get thousands of values for the pan position). In most cases this isn't noticeable, but if you set up a very slow pan you might be able to detect stepping with the MIDI CC methodology.

  • @jonmoore said:

    @mistercharlie said:
    Isn’t Rozeta just for midi though?

    Yes Rozeta or apeMatrix provide the LFO midi data to drive a Pan control on a mixer. The benefit of apeMatrix is that it includes a mixer of it's own so it's easy to hook up the LFO to drive the Pan control. With Rozeta, you'll use the LFO to drive the pan in AUM (assign a midi CC to AUM's pan and set the LFO in Rozeta to the same MIDI CC number).

    In both cases you can choose the LFO waveform to set up different panning behaviour. Rozeta has the further advantage that you can set two LFO's in series, and this creates a more complex behaviour than a simple triangle or sine wave alone. apeMatrix has the advantage of providing smoother panning behaviour as it's not limited to MIDI CC's 128 possible values (you get thousands of values for the pan position). In most cases this isn't noticeable, but if you set up a very slow pan you might be able to detect stepping with the MIDI CC methodology.

    Any ideas how to hook up these LFOs to GarageBand?
    I have not a clue.

  • Sorry, I haven't been near GarageBand in years. But the methodology will be similar if GB allows for MIDI control of the mixer. Assign a MIDI CC value to the mixers Pan control and use that same value in Rozeta.

    However, it may be a little 'awkward', like it is AudioBus. In AB you have to go into MIDI listen mode and have the LFO running for the Pan to be assigned the CC value. You just need to be sure that whilst you're in MIDI listen mode, the only outgoing MIDi CC value is the one that you want to assign to the Pan control.

  • edited April 30

    Why not just use AD Filterstation2 with these settings?

    (choose LFO shape and sync mode to your liking)

  • @rs2000 said:
    Why not just use AD Filterstation2 with these settings?

    (choose LFO shape and sync mode to your liking)

    Brilliant. Yet another app I already have!

  • @mistercharlie said:

    @rs2000 said:
    Why not just use AD Filterstation2 with these settings?

    (choose LFO shape and sync mode to your liking)

    Brilliant. Yet another app I already have!

    :smiley:

  • I know panning is a potentially toxic topic but...

    A 'per note panning' is something I'm really missing in many synths and apps.
    Most offer 'panning of the instrument' or 'track panning' but 'per note panning' is something that is missing...

    Think of this as 'shooting notes into a stereo field with individual pan positions without affecting the already triggered notes'.

  • edited June 12

    Discchord reported yesterday @Blue_Mangoo are releasing a
    binaural panner.

  • @Jumpercollins said:
    Discchord reported yesterday @bluemangoo are releasing a
    binaural panner.

    Hehe, More competition for the VirtualRoom & VirtualRoom Pro AUv3's :)

  • apeMatrix has a gain/pan Audio unit which you can use in any AU effect host :)

    I've not had time to check it out though, but might be what you're after.

  • I'm starting to get like mildly annoyed regarding panning using Midi CC10 as it also affects already playing notes.

    Lets take the scenario when one triggers a note with longer release time first on the left side (CC#10 0) and then on the right side (CC#10 127) only to realise that the first note looses it's place in the stereo field and gets panned to the right...

    This is natural and part of the Midi Spec where CC#10 should also affect already playing notes...

    In practice it's almost impossible to 'shoot' long sustaining notes into a stereo field unless using multiple midi-channels each with their own pan value.

    This is super easy to do with trackers where 'per note panning' is easy to do while midi seems to make it a total nightmare...

    Sure MPE might 'cure' the situation later on the future but over all midi seems to be too dated for advanced per note control.

    The more I think about it, it feels like 'screw midi, I'm going back to trackers!' :)

  • edited June 12

    @Samu: funny... so MPE has killed the MIDI channel (only one synth per cable / virtual connection), but you STILL can't pan per note? 😂

    Isn't MPE like artificially limited to a few CCs? (74, Pitch Bend, ...)

    On the other hand, now that we have to deal with this MPE mess, synth makers could simply use CCs not defined by that "standard", like, as you said, react to Pan (CC 10) per note. Nothing that would stop them technically.

  • @SevenSystems said:
    @Samu: funny... so MPE has killed the MIDI channel (only one synth per cable / virtual connection), but you STILL can't pan per note? 😂

    Ironic isn't it?

    Isn't MPE like artificially limited to a few CCs? (74, Pitch Bend, ...)

    MPE to me smells 'stringwankerenvy' big time but that's another discussion...

    Theoretically it should be possible re-map the incoming controllers but most sound engines are hard coded to pan all playing notes so it wouldn't help...

    Some synths offer midi note->pan when programming sounds but that's mostly used to fake a wider stereo image.

    On the other hand, now that we have to deal with this MPE mess, synth makers could simply use CCs not defined by that "standard", like, as you said, react to Pan (CC 10) per note. Nothing that would stop them technically.

    No use, I'm back to trackers when precision control is needed...

    Some day we might get more 'note on' parameters in addition to velocity but since polyphonic aftertouch is already being 'replaced' with MPE it doesn't look too bright...

Sign In or Register to comment.