Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Long Slow Fades between elements - AUM?

So here’s what I’m trying to achieve. I want to set several different audio elements running and then auto fade between them over long periods of time - to use as abstract incidental sound.

I’ve been able to make very pleasing elements in AUM using generators and fx.

If set these up as channels in AUM I can obviously fade between them manually but I wondered if there was a way either in AUM (using Rozeta, which seems to have the right control ingredients?) or from another IOS app to set a MIDI sequence with randomisation to do those volume fades?

If I’m barking up the wrong tree with AUM is there a better host to do this in?

Comments

• I'd personally be thinking about midiLFOs

• rcfrcf
    edited April 2019

I've used the app SonicLogic to do something similar. It allows you to build custom controller layouts; the controller buttons allow for timed transitions of up to 60 seconds for midi CC messages. It also allows for different timed fades for the On and Off values. It still works for me, though yesterday, when I tried it for the first time in ages, I wasn't able to map the full range of AUM's channel faders. That hasn't happened before so maybe it's just me forgetting how to use it properly...

Obviously the fades are still triggered manually but they are at least automated, and smoother than manual fades.

• @OscarSouth said:
    I'd personally be thinking about midiLFOs

Could you expand on that? That was the functionality in Rozeta that I was looking at.

• Use the Rozeta LFOs to control the AUM channel faders. I've done this many times; works great.

• @Kelmanbob said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I'd personally be thinking about midiLFOs

Could you expand on that? That was the functionality in Rozeta that I was looking at.

I've not used that app in a while but I believe it has a good MIDI input implementation and can be triggered by incoming MIDI as well as cross-modulating itself between the different LFOs.

• edited April 2019

KRFT has nice CC automation options...

In this case it is sending cc via a triangle wave and when I turned it off it transitions to a default value. There are a lot of options for this sort of thing. But maybe Apematrix is possibly your ride as it could do it all in one? Not sure as I don’t use it yet.

• @AudioGus said:

In this case it is sending cc via a triangle wave and when I turned it off it transitions to a default value. There are a lot of options for this sort of thing. But maybe Apematrix is possibly your ride as it could do it all in one? Not sure as I don’t use it yet.

I see that it’s doing it, but could you walk through how you set it up please? :) I just tried and couldn’t get it to work.

• edited April 2019

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

I see that it’s doing it, but could you walk through how you set it up please? :) I just tried and couldn’t get it to work.

Sure thing, here is the setup.

PS. ‘Little KRFT modulator guy’ refers to a ‘morph’ in KRFT ;)

• edited April 2019

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

Ahhh! I was almost there. My trigger was popping right up the volume instead of gradually. I was missed the timing part. Thanks! :)

• Point the first set of sounds at an AUM bus channel
    • Point the second set of sounds at a different AUM bus channel
    • Add a Rozeta LFO
    • Create the LFO shape/speed you want and remember the CC
    • In the AUM MIDI Matrix, point the Rozeta LFO at "MIDI Control"
    • In AUM -> Menu -> MIDI CTRL, map/learn the LFO's CC to the volume control of the both AUM busses
    • For the second bus, on the same screen where you assign the CC to control the volume, tap the Range button. Change the range from "0% -> 100%" (the default) to "100% -> 0%".
    • Now the same LFO will work to control both volume controls but one will be controlled 'backwards' so as one rises, the other will fall.
  • ^The problem with using Rozeta LFO is that it doesn't allow for long, slow transitions. This has been discussed here before, sadly @brambos does not think enough users are interested in very slow lfo rates :(

• @bleep said:
    ^The problem with using Rozeta LFO is that it doesn't allow for long, slow transitions. This has been discussed here before, sadly @brambos does not think enough users are interested in very slow lfo rates :(

People were requesting 2-hour LFO periods. Yes, I think that's outside the range of a general purpose LFO tool.
    However with Mozaic you will be able to create 24-hour LFOs if you want.

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

This is also a cool option because as I recall, you can set up several buttons that do different things, like the opposite of your first fade button. Stack them all on top of each other, and then tap once to trigger several cc operations.

Pity neither support split screen though.

• @brambos said:

@bleep said:
    ^The problem with using Rozeta LFO is that it doesn't allow for long, slow transitions. This has been discussed here before, sadly @brambos does not think enough users are interested in very slow lfo rates :(

People were requesting 2-hour LFO periods. Yes, I think that's outside the range of a general purpose LFO tool.

What kind of learning curve are we lookin at for Mosaic? Is this in beta yet?

• What's next? A 'switch' in AUM from BPM to SPB or MPB?

• 24 hours might be ridiculous. But I would like 4-8 bars or so.

@brambos said:

@bleep said:

@brambos said:

@bleep said:

• edited April 2019

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

This is also a cool option because as I recall, you can set up several buttons that do different things, like the opposite of your first fade button. Stack them all on top of each other, and then tap once to trigger several cc operations.

Yah, I do love KRFT. It works awesome with NS2 given the lovely macro setup NS2 has.

Pity neither support split screen though.

Yah that is a shame.

• @Antkn33 said:
    24 hours might be ridiculous. But I would like 4-8 bars or so.

I'm pretty sure you can get that from Rozeta LFO as it is.

• edited April 2019

@brambos said:

@Antkn33 said:

I'm pretty sure you can get that from Rozeta LFO as it is.

Yup. I totally get the 80% argument now. Some of these requests are a bit...absurd.

• FYI
    Ribn has looong, user drawn LFOs
    8 of them
    Not AU, so up to 8 as long a fade as you want LFOs is what you’ve got.

• @Antkn33 said:

@brambos said:

@bleep said:

@brambos said:

@bleep said:

I think you can get those rates already?

I don’t get the request for longer LFO periods for Rozeta. If I turn off Tempo Sync and set the rate to minimum, it is imperceptibly slow to me. I set up a Saw Down at the minimum rate with Tempo Sync off and AUM set to 120 BPM. The cycle lasted over 5 minutes and more than 150 measures. I can’t even hear it changing moment to moment, I just notice the change after a while.

• Just tried the Roseta LFO method too. That's pretty slow... slower than the slowest KRFT speed.

• Ah, tempo sync off, of course. Somehow I never used that in Rozeta LFO ... I agree that the numbers you have found there, @CracklePot, are plenty enough.

• @bleep said:
    Ah, tempo sync off, of course. Somehow I never used that in Rozeta LFO ... I agree that the numbers you have found there, @CracklePot, are plenty enough.

I’m still going to make that uber-slow LFO preset for Mozaic B)

• @brambos said:

@bleep said:
    Ah, tempo sync off, of course. Somehow I never used that in Rozeta LFO ... I agree that the numbers you have found there, @CracklePot, are plenty enough.

Will be good for art installations and such B)

• @bleep said:

@brambos said:

@bleep said:

Will be good for art installations and such B)

I can definitely see that. In the past I've played with extremely long image morphs into other images, and motion stuff. That's old hat now, but being able to have an extremely long automated crossfade would be handy in that scenario.

• edited April 2019

@skiphunt said:
    Just tried the Roseta LFO method too. That's pretty slow... slower than the slowest KRFT speed.

You can turn link off and turn the KRFT tempo way down to make it slower.

• @brambos said:

@bleep said:

Would you be able to just make a fade go up, rather than follow an LfO?

Also could a script be triggered for a one shot operation?

For example, if I wanted to trigger a fade with a note value, could I just initiate a loop from 0-90 which just stopped when it got to 90 unless retriggered? Another script could go the other way with a different trigger.

Your overall arrangement could then be a bunch of triggers firing off other sequences and scripts at will.

I hope il not misunderstanding how this sort of this should work.

I have other things in mind for this kind of thing.

I almost wish I’d not dipped my toe in this ‘modular’ thing, its starting to become consuming and my brain will always try to give it some linear order eventually.

Basically I like the idea of free form jamming in an app such as AUM but eventually I want to be able to program the entire thing so that it can be played by hitting one button. Just like every tune I’ve ever made in the last 30 years.

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:
    Just tried the Roseta LFO method too. That's pretty slow... slower than the slowest KRFT speed.

You can turn link off and turn the KRFT tempo way down to make it slower.

Good to know. Thanks for the info! I need to start getting back into KRFT more... I'd almost forgotten how great it actually is.

• @klownshed said:

@brambos said:

@bleep said:

Would you be able to just make a fade go up, rather than follow an LfO?

Also could a script be triggered for a one shot operation?

For example, if I wanted to trigger a fade with a note value, could I just initiate a loop from 0-90 which just stopped when it got to 90 unless retriggered? Another script could go the other way with a different trigger.

Your overall arrangement could then be a bunch of triggers firing off other sequences and scripts at will.

Sure, all that should be fairly trivial. You could use a note input for triggering such fades, or a button on the screen. And the durations could be scripted/hardcoded, or controlled via knobs.