Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it worth getting both Cubase & Auria Pro?

13»

Comments

• Many thanks, @wim
    I did so, and I can record in Loopy - but will probably have Loopy set up wrong to route the Audio to Auria.
    Going to search a Loopy document / manual :)

• @tja said:
    Many thanks, @wim
    I did so, and I can record in Loopy - but will probably have Loopy set up wrong to route the Audio to Auria.

In Audiobus, you can route the Loopy outputs into Auria. It isn't a Loopy configuration thing.

• Coke vs Pepsi, Ford vs Chevy.
    Use what you like. Like what you use.

• I believe there's an imminent update to AudioBus that will provide improved MIDI sync functionality so that AudioBus can act as a conduit between Ableton Link enabled apps and those that only allow for MIDI sync. Auria is one of those apps that held out on Ableton Link so this should help when syncing between Auria and an Ableton Link enabled app.

Someone on the AudioBus beta should be able to clarify (and maybe correct) this info.

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:
    Many thanks, @wim

In Audiobus, you can route the Loopy outputs into Auria. It isn't a Loopy configuration thing.

I did so, as shown in the screenshot above - but something is missing

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:
    Many thanks, @wim

It sounds as though you may not have read my post carefully. When adding Loopy into the input slot in the pipeline, don’t just add Loopy. Click the > arrow next to the name, then you will be given a list of available outputs from Loopy.

[edit] Ahh ... wait. Only loops that have something in them will be available to select, but you can indeed select each one. Maybe that’s what tripped you up.

• @jonmoore said:
    I believe there's an imminent update to AudioBus that will provide improved MIDI sync functionality so that AudioBus can act as a conduit between Ableton Link enabled apps and those that only allow for MIDI sync. Auria is one of those apps that held out on Ableton Link so this should help when syncing between Auria and an Ableton Link enabled app.

Someone on the AudioBus beta should be able to clarify (and maybe correct) this info.

This is most definitely true, Audiobus will soon serve as a way to sync up pretty much any group of apps as long as they have at least one of the three link options (ableton, midi clock or inter-app).

• @Thardus said:

@jonmoore said:
    I believe there's an imminent update to AudioBus that will provide improved MIDI sync functionality so that AudioBus can act as a conduit between Ableton Link enabled apps and those that only allow for MIDI sync. Auria is one of those apps that held out on Ableton Link so this should help when syncing between Auria and an Ableton Link enabled app.

This is most definitely true, Audiobus will soon serve as a way to sync up pretty much any group of apps as long as they have at least one of the three link options (ableton, midi clock or inter-app).

Yep! And it works great. In testing, I set up a crazy complicated tempo track in Auria Pro, with sudden dramatic tempo changes, ramped tempo changes, etc. and it tracked beautifully, sending link out to AUM and midi clock out to other apps and hardware no problem.

Auria doesn’t respond to midi clock or link, so it has to be the master, but other apps not limited in this way slave as well as their respective implementations allow. From what I can see Audiobus has not been at fault when there have been any sync issues.

• @wim said:

@Thardus said:

@jonmoore said:

Yep! And it works great. In testing, I set up a crazy complicated tempo track in Auria Pro, with sudden dramatic tempo changes, ramped tempo changes, etc. and it tracked beautifully, sending link out to AUM and midi clock out to other apps and hardware no problem.

Auria doesn’t respond to midi clock or link, so it has to be the master, but other apps not limited in this way slave as well as their respective implementations allow. From what I can see Audiobus has not been at fault when there have been any sync issues.

Good to hear, haven't tried any tempo changes myself. Happen to have any insight regarding the best way to get Patterning (1 or 2) to sync up with a session? Seems like there's always something that doesn't respond to AB3 the first time i.e. Patterning starts, but nothing else does, than Xequence starts and Patterning stops, etc. I know this was addressed in another thread but I haven't been able to find it again.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:
    Many thanks, @wim

It sounds as though you may not have read my post carefully. When adding Loopy into the input slot in the pipeline, don’t just add Loopy. Click the > arrow next to the name, then you will be given a list of available outputs from Loopy.

[edit] Ahh ... wait. Only loops that have something in them will be available to select, but you can indeed select each one. Maybe that’s what tripped you up.

As it seems, any loop can be selected in AudioBus, even those without content.

Trying to understand what may be wrong, I filled all 12 loops, added all of them to AudioBus and then chained Auria Pro to each of the 12 lanes.

But most strange things happened, more than 12 tracks where in Auria Pro, but less than 12 played.
    I then created a new project in Auria Pro, which opened automatically 12 new tracks.
    But I could not hear nothing anymore.

I the checked the Input Matrix and found 12 AudioBus lines, but only 16 from 24 inputs were active.
    Also, I could only activate 10 of the 12 lines:

Anyway, I think I can build on that - I have few experience in Auria Pro and zero experience in Loop :smile:

Many thanks, @wim

• I think, routing Audio - optionally - directly into Auria Pro will be fantastic!
    I need to think about what exactly I would like to route in such a way.
    Using Loopy after AUM could use Loopy as some staging area, which sound like a good idea.

Such workflows would be a valuable addition to the tips and tricks category.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

Auria Pro seems to add more than one input for each Audiobus output. I think it’s a bug, and I think I remember reading about it long ago, but apparently it was never fixed.

Personally I don’t think I’d make use of Loopy > Auria. I’d just export the audio files from Loopy and dump them into Auria. But it’s always good to know one’s options.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

@wim said:
    Auria Pro seems to add more than one input for each Audiobus output. I think it’s a bug, and I think I remember reading about it long ago, but apparently it was never fixed.

Personally I don’t think I’d make use of Loopy > Auria. I’d just export the audio files from Loopy and dump them into Auria. But it’s always good to know one’s options.

Yes, I think that AP is limited to 10 AB tracks, but still adds more empty tracks, that then exist but do not get any Audio.

Also, even after reducing Loopy to 9 Loops, Auria could not make use of the 9th tracks - it did show up as active in AB but not in AP. This could not be changed in the Input Matrix, I could only duplicate an input to get the 9th tracks playing.
    There also was a problem with the last added track.
    Something is definitely buggy there!

Edit: It is 8 tracks max, with 16 lanes of audio, 2 for each audio track.

Using AB, AUM and Loopy together to be able to direct audio into AP would allow to produce and select patterns and tracks that could then be directly be handled by the Fabfilters.
    That seemed like a good idea.

But then, maybe try the same with BeatMaker 3, as this would allow to arrange patterns.
    Going to try this and only export finished tracks to AP.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

BeatMaker 3 does not seem to automatically create audio tracks for the AB inputs, which is already a sad thing.

Edit: As usual with anything I try with BM3, i cannot find a way to configure this, or it just cannot do what I try to do.
    Anyway, I am not able to somehow record the AB output from Loopy in any BM3 track.
    Either im doing wrong again, or this is simply not possible at all: I can select AudioBus as input for single pads, but not for a whole track. This would record the Loopy output only pads. But maybe I just misunderstand. Going to try more.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

As BM3 was again not understandable for me, I dropped it for Cubasis.
    And while Cubasis again automatically created tracks for the AB audio lanes, it did so in a strange way:

Only 4 tracks for the 9 lanes:

All those DAWs seem to be unusable.
    AUM works like a charm, for course.
    Going to check if nanostudio 2 can handle this, when AB support and audio track are added.
    Otherwise, it seems to be better to stay at AB and AUM.

• Now I understand nothing anymore.
    AUM also only added 8 of the 9 tracks.
    And half of them had problems:

Maybe I should hard-reboot and try everything again.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

Latest update:

AUM works.
    Cubasis works.
    Auria Pro works with up to 8 stereo tracks, but was a bit crashy. I can see 24 tracks in the Input Matrix, which should suffice for 12 tracks, not only 8.

BeatMaker 3 does not seem to work.

But in between I got crashes from Auria Pro, AudioBus and Loopy HD.

• Audio Evolution Mobile just kept crashing... even though it looked promising first:

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

MultiTrack DAW works like a charm, good enough that I finally bought the IAP for 24 tracks.

Edit: But somehow, I cannot a way to export all tracks at once, which makes the whole multi tracking recording nearly useless. Is there a way to export all tracks?

• I have AB3/Loopy/AP set up and working right now with 5 tracks. And sending the AP Subgroup1 to Loopy as its input.

It took me a little while to figure out a few quirks:

• in AB I needed to assign AP as an audio input in order to also assign subgroup 1 to another lane.

• as someone else noted, AP created more tracks than needed and the track order was not in the same order as the inputs. Once I straightened out the assignments, all was good.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    I have AB3/Loopy/AP set up and working right now with 5 tracks. And sending the AP Subgroup1 to Loopy as its input.

• in AB I needed to assign AP as an audio input in order to also assign subgroup 1 to another lane.

• as someone else noted, AP created more tracks than needed and the track order was not in the same order as the inputs. Once I straightened out the assignments, all was good.

I started my tests with 12 Loopy tracks, which was core of the problem, as AP only allows 8 stereo tracks.
    And yes, I also noticed the broken order of tracks (on the Input Matrix, which seems to be relevant).
    Many thanks!

• My ipad can’t show the full config on one screen. here is what the AB setup looks like split in two screen caps.

• @tja said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I have AB3/Loopy/AP set up and working right now with 5 tracks. And sending the AP Subgroup1 to Loopy as its input.

I started my tests with 12 Loopy tracks, which was core of the problem, as AP only allows 8 stereo tracks.
    And yes, I also noticed the broken order of tracks (on the Input Matrix, which seems to be relevant).
    Many thanks!

Is AP only allowing 8 stereo tracks in this context for you or always?

I just went up to 9 tracks without issue.

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

Many thanks!

Is AP only allowing 8 stereo tracks in this context for you or always?

I just went up to 9 tracks without issue.

Did you check the Input Matrix?
    After sorting things out, only 8 tracks realy worked for me.

Anyway, it's 3 o'clock in the night for me, need to finish for now.
    Many thanks

• One question still remains:

I was just testing with Loopy.

But normally, I would have KB-1 as MIDI sender, and even without Xequence, there need to be a Synth as a MIDI receiver.

This would then also show this Synth as Audio Sender - at exactly the place where Loopy needs to be, if we want to send to Auria Pro!

If we instead load Loopy as Audio Receiver, how then get the Audio into Auria Pro?
    I am missing something, or the whole setup just cannot work (for me).

:o

• @tja said:
    One question still remains:

I was just testing with Loopy.

But normally, I would have KB-1 as MIDI sender, and even without Xequence, there need to be a Synth as a MIDI receiver.

This would then also show this Synth as Audio Sender - at exactly the place where Loopy needs to be, if we want to send to Auria Pro!

If we instead load Loopy as Audio Receiver, how then get the Audio into Auria Pro?
    I am missing something, or the whole setup just cannot work (for me).

:o

I am not sure I understand your quandary.

I didn’t use the input matrix, but I confirmed that all 9 Loopy channels were playing through their correct faders in AP.

Btw, unless I needed those loops wired into AP, I wouldn’t set them up this way. I’d just load them up in AB3 or AUM and run it synced to AP. Because to monitor the AB inputs in AP, the tracks need to be record enabled which results in lots of unnecessary audio being recorded into AP.

• Short reply.

I figure it out: I can add Loopy as audio target and then again als audio sender, like done with Xequence for MIDI.
    Going to reply tomorrow.

• @wim @tja @espiegel123
    Wow, you boys went on a mighty long journey their ref Loopy/AudioBus/AUM/Auria. Once you've come to some solid conclusions, that content should live in the Wiki. It would be a real pity if it were lost in this thread.

Nice work!

• @jonmoore said:
    @wim @tja @espiegel123
    Wow, you boys went on a mighty long journey their ref Loopy/AudioBus/AUM/Auria. Once you've come to some solid conclusions, that content should live in the Wiki. It would be a real pity if it were lost in this thread.

Nice work!

There is an existing knowledge base article pointing to a Loopy/AB3/AUM setup discussion that covers this. So, it'll get wiki-ized

• I think I have something that I like:

Audiobus preset 'KB1XeqAUMLoopyAuriaPro':
    http://preset.audiob.us/8rDL7kDRx9ugGf6

It can be used for any sequencer or instrument, records MIDI in Xequence, send the MIDI to AUM, where it triggers any hosted Synth, sent the resulting audio to Loopy where you can collect and sort up to 12 loops and if you are happy, route this to Auria Pro where you can continue as you like.