Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

1 last time: POWERED USB HUB

Comments

• @Multicellular

As it turns out, I have a very similar USB hub laying around. It didn’t dawn on me that it would work and actually I can’t get it to work. How do you set yours up? Here is a link…

https://www.hootoo.com/hootoor-ht-uh010-7-port-usb-3-0-hub-with-2-smart-charging-port.html

• @Multicellular Scratch that! So glad this works… I just needed to manually plug the USB hub in and out etc.

• @jonmoore said:
    It was me that made that last recommendation and the hub was by Apanage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FVT8PS6/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_EQGWCbPC14APG

That's the UK store and the white model (but it's available from any Apple store and in multiple colours) but it's been faultless for me.

I have a more powerful ANKER hub which performs worse as it doesn't trickle charge and provide data connectivity at the same time.

I have 4/5 iOS devices permanently hooked up to Ableton via Studiomux and I use the fast charge sockets on a regular basis too but tend only to do that with low power devices like my gen 1 pencil or my Wacom tablet.

There is no info on that Amazon page if it is STT or MTT, anybody buying STT for audio usage is going to be in a game of hit and hope.

• @Turntablist said:

@jonmoore said:

That's the UK store and the white model (but it's available from any Apple store and in multiple colours) but it's been faultless for me.

I have a more powerful ANKER hub which performs worse as it doesn't trickle charge and provide data connectivity at the same time.

I have 4/5 iOS devices permanently hooked up to Ableton via Studiomux and I use the fast charge sockets on a regular basis too but tend only to do that with low power devices like my gen 1 pencil or my Wacom tablet.

There is no info on that Amazon page if it is STT or MTT, anybody buying STT for audio usage is going to be in a game of hit and hope.

I don't know ref STT or MTT. All I can say is that I use it to hook up to 5 iOS devices at once, streaming realtime audio into my desktop DAW via Studiomux server and things are glitch free. The other benefit is that the hub trickle charges the iOS devices at the same time so I don't have to worry about devices running out of juice midway through a session. I'm not the only member of this forum using this particular hub in this way either.

• edited April 2019

Single translator or Multi translator.
    Single Translator changes the hub speed to the lowest connected device.
    Multi Translator sets each port at the speed of the device its connected to.

So for example, connect a USB 1 device to an STT hub and the whole hub is USB 1, connect a USB 1 to an MTT and only that port is USB 1.

Most MIDI controllers are USB 1 for example ;)
    STT hubs should be avoided.

• @Turntablist I didn't say the I didn't understand the difference between STT and MTT. Just that I didn't check the specifics with regard to this hub. It was recommended by somebody who knows there onions on such stuff ( @Aud_iOS ) and that was enough for me.

• OK, but it is a bad recommendation if it is STT, that was my point, you don't care, but others may, so it was worth typing that information, sorry if it bothered you ;)

• I thought it was interesting and useful, thanks

• @Turntablist said:
    OK, but it is a bad recommendation if it is STT, that was my point, you don't care, but others may, so it was worth typing that information, sorry if it bothered you ;)

Yet again I didn't say that I didn't care, I was simply stating that I trusted the recommendation as @Aud_iOS has proved himself to be very knowledgeable on such matters via the articles he posts on his blog.

Much as APANAGE doesn't list whether the hub is STT or MTT it does allow for a mix of USB protocols without throttling to the lowest, so I believe it to be MTT. I have a couple of higher powered ANKER hubs and the APANAGE functions better when adding multiple iOS devices at once. The ANKER's will transmit data but they don't trickly charge at the same time.

You're getting a lot for your money with the APANAGE but much like with Chi-Fi audio equipment, you're taking a risk as it's part of the current wave of Chinese electronics on the market that're undercutting more traditional suppliers. @Aud_iOS took the initial risk when he tested the APANAGE and I've found his recommendation to be bang on the money.

• @Multicellular said:
    Don't know re Studiomux
    but I had searched here and elsewhere about hubs before and I got a couple of the Vantec ones.

4-Port Hub + 3 Smart Charging Port
    https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Aluminum-10-Port-Adapter-UGT-AH100U3/dp/B00J8LW04Q?th=1

They have some other sizes, but make sure it is a 2.0A one if you want to charge an iPad.

Others have here recommended Anker but I simply saw them in person and preferred the aluminum Vantec over the plastic Anker.

Is this powered or USB powered?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Multicellular said:
    Don't know re Studiomux
    but I had searched here and elsewhere about hubs before and I got a couple of the Vantec ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Aluminum-10-Port-Adapter-UGT-AH100U3/dp/B00J8LW04Q?th=1

They have some other sizes, but make sure it is a 2.0A one if you want to charge an iPad.

Others have here recommended Anker but I simply saw them in person and preferred the aluminum Vantec over the plastic Anker.

The Vantec yes requires a power source. It has a rather large adapter too. Small laptop style.

• @jonmoore @Turntablist I went as far down the rabbit hole as I could to figure out if this is an MTT or STT hub. Here's a screen grab of both its USB-IF Product ID's & Vendor ID's. I plugged those into the USB-IF's Product ID search tool - unfortunately I wasn't able to locate the Hub at the Renesas website - I searched a good bit on their site but couldn't determine which (if any) of their listed hubs would correlate to this one - I couldn't find anything close. Apanage doesn't appear to have a website - my guess is they are a subsidiary - maybe someone else will be able to find the documentation.

• @jonmoore said:

@Turntablist said:
    OK, but it is a bad recommendation if it is STT, that was my point, you don't care, but others may, so it was worth typing that information, sorry if it bothered you ;)

Yet again I didn't say that I didn't care, I was simply stating that I trusted the recommendation as @Aud_iOS has proved himself to be very knowledgeable on such matters via the articles he posts on his blog.

Much as APANAGE doesn't list whether the hub is STT or MTT it does allow for a mix of USB protocols without throttling to the lowest, so I believe it to be MTT. I have a couple of higher powered ANKER hubs and the APANAGE functions better when adding multiple iOS devices at once. The ANKER's will transmit data but they don't trickly charge at the same time.

You're getting a lot for your money with the APANAGE but much like with Chi-Fi audio equipment, you're taking a risk as it's part of the current wave of Chinese electronics on the market that're undercutting more traditional suppliers. @Aud_iOS took the initial risk when he tested the APANAGE and I've found his recommendation to be bang on the money.

What USB hub do you use?

Powered or not?

• @Multicellular said:
    Pretty cool I think, this is all run off two plugs. The usb hub powers the
    iPad
    Akai
    Focusrite 2i2
    And the Nemesis Delay (via BirdCord)

The Sirin needs its own plug.

I have the little usb extension that you see sticking out to connect other things that are not part of the portable rig, midi sequence them via the iAd of course.

Thank you very much for your post, I use a similar setup, but haven’t taken it as far, impressive audio chain you have goin’ on!

• @Multicellular said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Multicellular said:
    Don't know re Studiomux

The Vantec yes requires a power source. It has a rather large adapter too. Small laptop style.

Amazon Prime time to order

• @RUST( i )K said:

@jonmoore said:

@Turntablist said:

What USB hub do you use?

Powered or not?

I'm using the Apanage Hub mentioned above, well 2 of them. My monitors also have a built-in 4 port 3.0 Hub. For me - the convo isn't necessarily that MTT is inherently better than STT - I haven't quite figured out how 3.0-3.2 Hubs can utilize MTT - given that all 3.0 and up Hubs have a built-in 2.0 Hub - haven't been able to locate any docs on how this would work - I'm almost certain that 3.0 Hubs don't even enumerate the flags a transaction translator needs to shape traffic. Ch. 11 of the USB standard covers the TT functionality in detail. So far, my incomplete conclusion is that your USB traffic shaping is likely more important than STT/MTT. So - what mix of devices to you have plugged in - in what order - and how much/what kind of traffic will those devices be sending. Isochronous audio can always reserve up to 90% of total bandwidth on 3.0, or 80% on 2.0 - by example. Clock data is different, or your various syncing, HID, Mass Storage devices and all other types of potential interrupts. The Host Controller is also a factor - Intel's XHCI gets updates, and is a good read - and the O/S's handling of traffic. I'd imagine an optimal scenario for needing MTT would be on a 2.0 Hub, where you've got enough 2.0 traffic load, that, when coupled with some traffic mix of Low and Full speed devices, would pull the bandwidth down sufficiently to bottleneck the 2.0 traffic. Another way to look at it - there is a tiny amount of latency that Transaction Translators need to deal with processing that data - like several usec - it's inconsequential, but still a cost - unless you're sure the benefit for your setup.

• I said I trusted @Aud_iOS's recommendations, now you know why! :)

• @jonmoore said:

If your desktop machine is Windows you need to ensure that your properly optimised as little things can catch you out like auto power down of USB devices.

This old Focusrite guide covers all the important stuff.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

Got one someone recommended with aluminum case, nice but didn't read the break down of ports as I just forwarded email to person who does ordering for me.

SO, got one but with one 4 USBc and 3 charging.....well ....I have a need for like 10 or so ports.

So going to order your recommendation.

Which of the 2 you listed would you go with ?

I wouldn't mind saving money if possible at this point. Going to keep the first one for a supporting iPad and use of other gear.

Thanks man!

• @RUST( i )K said:

I wouldn't mind saving money if possible at this point. Going to keep the first one for a supporting iPad and use of other gear.

There was only one recommendation, the Amazon link. The Focusrite link is an excellent guide to for optimising your workstation to ensure background activity isn't having any unwanted side effects ref USB related audio performance. Mac's are easier to deal with, but Windows isn't so bad when you know what to look for.

• @jonmoore said:

@RUST( i )K said:

There was only one recommendation, the Amazon link. The Focusrite link is an excellent guide to for optimising your workstation to ensure background activity isn't having any unwanted side effects ref USB related audio performance. Mac's are easier to deal with, but Windows isn't so bad when you know what to look for.

Wow, too early in the am when I read it....

Ok

Amazon link is only one!

I am on a MAC

thanks man

• I use this generic hub. It gets powered by a wall wart or my Anker battery pack.

• @BroCoast said:

I use this generic hub. It gets powered by a wall wart or my Anker battery pack.

What kind of a cable do you use to connect your battery pack to this hub? A male to male USB?

• @BroCoast said:

I use this generic hub. It gets powered by a wall wart or my Anker battery pack.

Nice

• @audiobussy said:

@BroCoast said:

@BroCoast
    What kind of a cable do you use to connect your battery pack to this hub? A male to male USB?

• @audiobussy said:

@audiobussy said:

@BroCoast said:

@BroCoast

My battery pack does DC output to power the USB hub.

• cough... wiki... cough

• @Multicellular said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    How is that little Moog Tuaurus re do?
    Thanks by the way

The Sirin and Minitaur, as far as I can tell, just have different paint jobs and oscs.
    Imho, sweet little mono synths if you love that classic subtractive sound. There are a number of important under the hood features, like it does have digital preset management and other things you can access via the glide button which acts as a shift or thru midi ccs. Alt functions I use a lot, other lfo types, velocity, fine tune, change decay release modes.

They added a full-range oscillator too, no? The Minitaur dies around C5.

• @syrupcore said:
    cough... wiki... cough

And yet I looked and searched and found nothing… I will look into USB hubs with DC output, thanks @BroCoast

• I looked again at that one at Amazon and noticed it is indeed different than mine. Does yours work portably, @Multicellular? And if so what kind of cable do you use? I think a male to male USB cable would work since only charging is necessary

• @syrupcore said:
    cough... wiki... cough

Great idea ... cough