Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moog Matriarch

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Wait – am I watching the same video? That was pretty benign. It was a nice warm vibe and the music was mostly good.

I liked that pseudo-documentary-ish style too.

This was the older style of promo vid - middle aged white dude in black t-shirt, black background - not quite as inviting, but seems to be the type older synth dudes like.

• moog make lovely sounding boring synths and apps.
    obviously this doesn't include animoog :)

• edited April 2019

@reasOne said:

@oat_phipps said:
    I'll wait for the Apewoman having just got a Grandmother.

And I agree with Moog and their lame targeted demographic for their promos. It's beyond boring. I wanna see an old classic like Manual Gottsching use it, or someone modern carrying on the spirit of those pioneers. That vid was supposed to be filmed in each artist's home; why did it feel like they all lived in the same house, with a shared master record collection and huge amount of kitschy trinkets and 'cool' books?

Was so hipster 😂
    books they have neverread
    Records they have never listened to
    Trinkets they " found at the thrift store"
    No thanks

Sounds alot like my house. hehe

I like the sound of it but I reeaalllly dig the spring reverb in the Grandmother. Still want that.

• @kinkujin said:

@reasOne said:

@oat_phipps said:

And I agree with Moog and their lame targeted demographic for their promos. It's beyond boring. I wanna see an old classic like Manual Gottsching use it, or someone modern carrying on the spirit of those pioneers. That vid was supposed to be filmed in each artist's home; why did it feel like they all lived in the same house, with a shared master record collection and huge amount of kitschy trinkets and 'cool' books?

Was so hipster 😂
    books they have neverread
    Records they have never listened to
    Trinkets they " found at the thrift store"
    No thanks

Sounds alot like my house. hehe

I like the sound of it but I reeaalllly dig the spring reverb in the Grandmother. Still want that.

Eh the spring is ok and I use it more than I thought I would, but I'd take the delay any day. Onboard delay makes much more sense, especially for a mono synth.

• edited April 2019

If the quality of the delay is in the neighborhood of the MF-104 series pedals, yeah I'll take that over spring reverb too.

• edited April 2019

Moog hardware is awesome, provided I can buy it used and then sell it a year later for the same price.

• I would like to have one.

• @BroCoast said:

@u0421793 said:
    What on earth is the matter with those stupid brain dead fuckers? Another useless synth with a jack labelled “S&H” but absolutely no fucking way to send a signal in to the S&H to actually be sampled and then held until the next clock. What are we supposed to do, drill our own fucking hole ourselves? Useless bastards.

They've been calling random "S&H" on synths for a long time. Take a look at your SH-09...

Send me your 2600 so I can fix it. <3

The SH-09? True, but that’s not festooned with jack sockets, so I don’t object, that’s the way the S&H is internally patched – direct to the noise, and clocked by the LFO. If however you’re going to present a synth covered in jacks I want some say in the matter. It’s not as if I don’t know jack.

• edited April 2019

I don't understand the point being made here that Moog isn't correctly advertising the legacy of their synths, and that this ad for the Matriarch is "trying too hard to be cool". The Moog One, which released not even a year ago, had a marketing campaign entirely based around the legacy of Moog as a company. They brought in famous old composers and sound engineers from the 70's and had them talk about how the Moog One is the very essence of what the company used to be, but in a more modern context with more flexibility and options.

Just because the Matriarch doesn't have the same marketing doesn't mean that Moog as a company is "trying too hard to be cool", or that "the modern Moog company has completely lost its way since the 70's". If anything, the Matriarch is creating more quality diversity in their catalog, and thus it's being marketed as something new and separate from traditional legacy Moogs. The bright, pastel color palette on the synth itself, and the advert video featuring many female musitions and cinematography of mother nature. The whole woman theme doesn't really add anything special to the functionality of the synth itself, but it makes it stand apart as the first Moog of its kind, and the pinnacle of the Mother/grandmother/matriarch trio. It's the second ever poly or paraphonic Moog, and besides that, Moog has never manufactured a semi-modular synth with a keybed before (except for the grandmother, of course).

The point stands, this is a unique Moog of its kind, and thus the company is finding a new, colorful, and interesting way to market it. You can't live in legacy of he past forever. At some point the new generations do come in, and they aren't as sold on legacy advertising as the rest of us are. I admire the company for maintaining the legacy of their past in the adverts of some synths they release, but also finding new, innovative synths to market in new ways. It's refreshing.

• edited April 2019

@bc_a said:
    I don't understand the point being made here that Moog isn't correctly advertising the legacy of their synths, and that this ad for the Matriarch is "trying too hard to be cool". The Moog One, which released not even a year ago, had a marketing campaign entirely based around the legacy of Moog as a company. They brought in famous old composers and sound engineers from the 70's and had them talk about how the Moog One is the very essence of what the company used to be, but in a more modern context with more flexibility and options.

Just because the Matriarch doesn't have the same marketing doesn't mean that Moog as a company is "trying too hard to be cool", or that "the modern Moog company has completely lost its way since the 70's". If anything, the Matriarch is creating more quality diversity in their catalog, and thus it's being marketed as something new and separate from traditional legacy Moogs. The bright, pastel color palette on the synth itself, and the advert video featuring many female musitions and cinematography of mother nature. The whole woman theme doesn't really add anything special to the functionality of the synth itself, but it makes it stand apart as the first Moog of its kind, and the pinnacle of the Mother/grandmother/matriarch trio. It's the second ever poly or paraphonic Moog, and besides that, Moog has never manufactured a semi-modular synth with a keybed before (except for the grandmother, of course).

The point stands, this is a unique Moog of its kind, and thus the company is finding a new, colorful, and interesting way to market it. You can't live in legacy of he past forever. At some point the new generations do come in, and they aren't as sold on legacy advertising as the rest of us are. I admire the company for maintaining the legacy of their past in the adverts of some synths they release, but also finding new, innovative synths to market in new ways. It's refreshing.

It's not all that, or a matter of being stuck in the past. It's just a matter of the tone of the film, the direction and editing of the video. I can still be a gigantic Moog fan for their products while also thinking that their video marketing has gotten a little heavy-handed and stale. Nobody has even implied that Moog has lost their way since the 70s.

• @oat_phipps said:
    It's not all that, or a matter of being stuck in the past. It's just a matter of the tone of the film, the direction and editing of the video. I can still be a gigantic Moog fan for their products while also thinking that their video marketing has gotten a little heavy-handed and stale. Nobody has even implied that Moog has lost their way since the 70s.

Perhaps nobody here outright said that Moog has lost its way, but i've been on quite a few forums regarding the Matriarch and have seen some comments like that. It's just odd to me that people see change in advertising and all the sudden that means quality is dropping off. Even in this thread, small complaints about the hardware and insulting the company for not manufacturing things correctly like they don't know what they're doing. It get it's hyperbole, but it's still there.

I don't see the editing being particularly bad in the video, and even if it subjectively is, it's still accomplishing the point of the beauty-influenced marketing plan. It's not like it was incompetent film making or advertising.

• @bc_a said:

@oat_phipps said:

Perhaps nobody here outright said that Moog has lost its way, but i've been on quite a few forums regarding the Matriarch and have seen some comments like that. It's just odd to me that people see change in advertising and all the sudden that means quality is dropping off. Even in this thread, small complaints about the hardware and insulting the company for not manufacturing things correctly like they don't know what they're doing. It get it's hyperbole, but it's still there.

I don't see the editing being particularly bad in the video, and even if it subjectively is, it's still accomplishing the point of the beauty-influenced marketing plan. It's not like it was incompetent film making or advertising.

This started back when the Mother 32 was released. They had begun a new "lifestyle video" approach for their products and it was kind of cringe.

It got a little worse with DFAM and discwoman, that triggered all kinds of shit from old men who can't relate to people under 30.

I'm a fan of the brand but their marketing both in media and text makes me laugh. I can only justify owning a Minitaur that cost $300, the rest of the new stuff I've owned by Moog hasn't been worth the coins to me.

• edited April 2019

I always cringe when the demonstrator in a hands-on synth video insists on playing tacky 'jazzy' lift-muzak stuff that makes the 'pro' synth sound like a cheesy home organ. They should just get back to scaring off customers in their sad little wine bars and leave the Moogs to 'proper' synth pros that can't actually play but have the decency to plug it into a sequencer or play it with one finger as they're supposed to be played... They don't even have proper synth-wizard hair.

A Moog is not a Rhodes. I know well enough to avoid listening to anybody play a Rhodes (shudders!) so don't want to hear 'Rhodesy' 'jazz-for-people-that-don't-like-jazz' type licks in a synth video thank you very much.

I'd rather hear 'stairway' in a guitar shop. (I'd also prefer to be mauled by a tiger, but that would be too musical).

Just for that* I'm not buying the Moog Mother-in-law in case it makes me sound like Kenny G.

;-)

• example (there are many more but one is already too many!) : -- around the 2:00 mark if you have the stomach for it! ;-)
  • @klownshed said:
    I always cringe when the demonstrator in a hands-on synth video insists on playing tacky 'jazzy' lift-muzak stuff that makes the 'pro' synth sound like a cheesy home organ. They should just get back to scaring off customers in their sad little wine bars and leave the Moogs to 'proper' synth pros that can't actually play but have the decency to plug it into a sequencer or play it with one finger as they're supposed to be played... They don't even have proper synth-wizard hair.

A Moog is not a Rhodes. I know well enough to avoid listening to anybody play a Rhodes (shudders!) so don't want to hear 'Rhodesy' 'jazz-for-people-that-don't-like-jazz' type licks in a synth video thank you very much.

I'd rather hear 'stairway' in a guitar shop. (I'd also prefer to be mauled by a tiger, but that would be too musical).

Just for that* I'm not buying the Moog Mother-in-law in case it makes me sound like Kenny G.

;-)

• example (there are many more but one is already too many!) : -- around the 2:00 mark if you have the stomach for it! ;-)

Not your fault (unless you made it; in which case, stop reading!), But this video is an awful 'review'. It's a shame they even got lent one or given one to work with.

• @BroCoast said:

@bc_a said:

@oat_phipps said:

This started back when the Mother 32 was released. They had begun a new "lifestyle video" approach for their products and it was kind of cringe.

It got a little worse with DFAM and discwoman, that triggered all kinds of shit from old men who can't relate to people under 30.

I'm a fan of the brand but their marketing both in media and text makes me laugh. I can only justify owning a Minitaur that cost $300, the rest of the new stuff I've owned by Moog hasn't been worth the coins to me.

I hesitated for a good while but eventually caved to the Grandmother. It seemed a fitting evolution to my dying Moog Rogue. And I absolutely love it and think it's worth every penny. Now, the only two modern synths I've bought are the Minilogue and GM, but the difference in price in this case is more than matched in quality by the GM...not just the build, but that it sounds like a fucking real synth and not a fun toy. I haven't explored the other modern options available to say for sure that there aren't better deals out there (there probably are), but the brand is 100% trustworthy in my book.

• When watching a marketing video you hate, it is worth considering the possibility that one isn't the target audience for the video and that the intended audience might feel very differently. And maybe the intended audience thinks the video that I would most like is lame.

And it says nothing good or bad about either audience that they have different reactions.

Creating demos that appeal to everyone is a lot harder than you might imagine.

• @espiegel123 said:
    When watching a marketing video you hate, it is worth considering the possibility that one isn't the target audience for the video and that the intended audience might feel very differently. And maybe the intended audience thinks the video that I would most like is lame.

And it says nothing good or bad about either audience that they have different reactions.

This. Thank you. Can we get back to the synth now?

• @espiegel123 said:
    When watching a marketing video you hate, it is worth considering the possibility that one isn't the target audience for the video and that the intended audience might feel very differently. And maybe the intended audience thinks the video that I would most like is lame.

A person can be critical while being open-minded. Being open-minded does not require you to think that everything's cool all the time and stay silent just because someone else might appreciate it or just because the work is hard.

• @syrupcore said:

@espiegel123 said:

Sure, what would you like to talk about? Its features are pretty clear, and it looks to be a great expansion to the GM with the more sensible stereo delay replacing the reverb as the cherry on top. Naturally, it also comes with a much heftier price tag that puts it out of my range considering I juuust got a GM. I'm sure most who spring for it will be happy with it.

• @oat_phipps said:

The problem when marketing agency's get hold of these things, is they make everything about selling a 'lifestyle'. Whether it's a car, a nice chair, or a synth. Same old video stories featuring hipsters, sitting in their 10 million pound loft apartments, surrounded by another million quid's worth of kit. And pot plants.

Love to see Mr Ashra in anything, any of the people that really know their stuff and have a history to back it up.

I know a few old synth pioneers though, and they tend to live in smelly old cottages surrounded by empty cans of cider, and feral cats. Probably not what the PR suits are looking for, but I'd watch it.

• edited May 2019

What I like about Moog's vid is that it's featuring artists using the Matriarch as they would actually use it.

I tried to think of older style promo vids for synths that old guys would like but I'm kinda stumped - they all have something silly about them, lol

• @oat_phipps said:

@BroCoast said:

@bc_a said:

@oat_phipps said:

I hesitated for a good while but eventually caved to the Grandmother. It seemed a fitting evolution to my dying Moog Rogue. And I absolutely love it and think it's worth every penny. Now, the only two modern synths I've bought are the Minilogue and GM, but the difference in price in this case is more than matched in quality by the GM...not just the build, but that it sounds like a fucking real synth and not a fun toy. I haven't explored the other modern options available to say for sure that there aren't better deals out there (there probably are), but the brand is 100% trustworthy in my book.

Yeah the Grandmother is probably the best deal for a new mono synth. Good keys, solid and great sound. I only say not worth the coins to me about Moog stuff because everything I own now cost around $300 each. Mostly vintage that I restored :)

• edited May 2019

@bc_a said:

@oat_phipps said:

I'm with you on this. I think it's a change from the norm. Most people don't like change. We want black synths, with this group of people playing them (mostly older, white male performers) and we don't like this ad campaign giving the place atmosphere!!

I know I know, this is all soy-boy talk but geez people. I, for one, am glad to have Moog in the world. I'm also glad that they are moving ahead in fresh ways. Trying new things and pushing not only the product, but squarely placing themselves in this place in time.

• @BroCoast said:

@oat_phipps said:

@BroCoast said:

@bc_a said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah the Grandmother is probably the best deal for a new mono synth. Good keys, solid and great sound. I only say not worth the coins to me about Moog stuff because everything I own now cost around $300 each. Mostly vintage that I restored :)

Not so sure about that. Lots of people do like the cheap Bass Station II a lot. The new Minologue XD also sounds excellent. As does the Minibrute 2(S). If money is no problem then one should not overlook the Dominion I nor the DSI Pro 2 to name just two more.

• edited May 2019

@bert said:

Not so sure about that. Lots of people do like the cheap Bass Station II a lot. The new Minologue XD also sounds excellent.

Perhaps you mean the Monologue, as the Minilogue XD is not a monosynth, and he's talking about monosynths

• @oat_phipps said:

@syrupcore said:

@espiegel123 said:

Sure, what would you like to talk about? Its features are pretty clear, and it looks to be a great expansion to the GM with the more sensible stereo delay replacing the reverb as the cherry on top. Naturally, it also comes with a much heftier price tag that puts it out of my range considering I juuust got a GM. I'm sure most who spring for it will be happy with it.

I appreciate you. :+1: I think it sounds pretty amazing. Already dreaming of I-wish-it-had-x-features like an asshole. At first I was like 'meh, more paraphony' but then I realized that with full control over each OSC (plus all the patching options) it's basically the "MOOG Mono/Poly". Now the GAS is building.

So many lovely bits beyond the basic 4osc moog magic stuff though — separate delay outputs? Ratchets? stereo spread on the filters? 3 attenuverters with cv control? CV control over the two delay times? Envelopes with both start and end trigger outputs (hello, extra LFOs)? Clock division and seq reset via cv? OK!

Nice, basic feature overview from Sweetwater.

Nice sound explorations from Perfect Circle.

More sounds:

Cuckoo gets weird with it:

Not the most interesting sounds but a few great "oh, right" bits on using the sequencer for actually playing the keyboard:

• @u0421793 said:

@BroCoast said:

@u0421793 said:
    What on earth is the matter with those stupid brain dead fuckers? Another useless synth with a jack labelled “S&H” but absolutely no fucking way to send a signal in to the S&H to actually be sampled and then held until the next clock. What are we supposed to do, drill our own fucking hole ourselves? Useless bastards.

They've been calling random "S&H" on synths for a long time. Take a look at your SH-09...

Send me your 2600 so I can fix it. <3

The SH-09? True, but that’s not festooned with jack sockets, so I don’t object, that’s the way the S&H is internally patched – direct to the noise, and clocked by the LFO. If however you’re going to present a synth covered in jacks I want some say in the matter. It’s not as if I don’t know jack.

Talking of the 2600 everyone, there’s this on Muff Wiggler, which I’m finding quite interesting and is causing me to visit MW more than the customary once every 18 months I usually do:
    https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3074368#3074368

• What's next, mother superior?

• @supadom said:
    What's next, mother superior?

Baby Mama SE