Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A question for Audiobus 3.4 beta testers

Hey guys!

I'm trying to solve one last issue with the 3.4 beta, and I've only heard one person able to reproduce it so far, so I'm looking for any others able to do so.

The issue is: Opening any preset that contains multiple outputs from the new Fugue Machine audio unit (i.e. one or more of the other 'playhead' MIDI outputs) results in an endless "Loading..." status for those secondary Fugue Machine outputs.

The issue doesn't arise when adding FM to a blank session - but if you save that session and then load it again, the issue will occur.

What's more, when the issue arises, it seems to affect other MIDI ports - this tester noticed that one of the Rozeta AUs was showing "Not Supported" in Audiobus afterwards.

The issue started in build 113 (which added preset merging), but I'm buggered if I can find it just by looking at the code! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated =)

Comments

• By the way: right now, to add those secondary MIDI outputs, you have to load up Fugue Machine first. Once it's loaded, you'll see the other ports in there. This will change in the next version, but it requires some jiggery-pokery on my server's end.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

I can try to reproduce, but am not sure how exactly...

2 or more FM instances as MIDI sender?
    Or different playheads of one instance?

And sending to what from Rozetta exactly?
    As MIDI Filter or as MIDI Reiver
    Anything else?

Any other forum member i would have asked to post the preset ;-)
    Saves much time for any person trying to reproduce...

• I just tried to reproduce but it's working ok for me so far.
    ipad pro 2017 12.9

• Audiobus preset 'Michael':

http://preset.audiob.us/rn7Uwf65IAnKG8z

This version was reloadable, but most probably not the right thing

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

I think, I simply don't understand "secondary outputs" :o
    Edit: The single playheads, I assume now

• edited April 2019

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's a preset like this that's causing trouble:

http://preset.audiob.us/lpNlOVN8pY6aFnu

• This one also could be reloaded:

Audiobus preset 'Michael 2':
    http://preset.audiob.us/IfCmzoWMJkxq34M

Having 2 "secondary" outputs.

I noticed, that I cannot select only one output for the first instances, it is all always "All outputs"

• Okay, yep, that would've produced the issue if it was gonna!

WTF is with Rolf's setup that causes this problem when mine can't! He has 3 different devices and they all do it.. very mysterious.

• Michael, what you uploaded only has Fugue Machine, no Rosetta, or?

At least at me it only loads FM on 5 lanes

• Yup, just FM alone is enough to reproduce the bug, in theory.

• I never loaded the FM AU... I cannot get it to play at all :o

• I think you gotta have AB's transport going, and also hit the different play buttons for each playhead.

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

@Michael said:
    Yup, just FM alone is enough to reproduce the bug, in theory.

It loads reproducable.

Latest AB beta on iPad Pro 9.7 with latest iOS 12.2

• Yep, here too, all seems to work just fine.

• Maybe some difference here?

Ask Rolf for screenshots

• @Michael said:
    Yup, just FM alone is enough to reproduce the bug, in theory.

I am not quite sure I understand. Is there an AB document that is known to cause the problem that I can load?

• Yeah, good idea @tja =)

@espiegel123 Yep, this one should do it - or, it does on Rolf's three devices, but none of mine:

• @Michael said:
    Yeah, good idea @tja =)

@espiegel123 Yep, this one should do it - or, it does on Rolf's three devices, but none of mine:

I seem to be able to reproduce it.

My steps:

• Download and launch the AB file
    • Assign an AU synth to each lane and assign synth presets to each lane
    • Play to make sure it all works.
    • Save the preset
    • Load a different AB3 preset (just KB-1 and Volt)
    • Reload the RCM-Fugue Machine preset
      —The main FM instance loads and all the AU synths but each of the individual FM out lanes is stuck “launching”. Here is a pic after five minutes of waiting:

Running on an iPad 6th Gen and iOS 12.2

• Michael,

I was able to successfully load the preset from your link multiple times successfully. Also after saving it, and loading the preset, it loads fine.

But, after force-closing AB, opening AB, and loading the saved preset, it always results in the endless loading for the secondary Fugue Machines.

But, while its still trying to load, if I load the preset again, usually it will load successfully.

Also, I checked all the Rozeta AUs, and none showed a 'Not Supported' error?

Latest AB3 beta, 2019 iPad Mini 5, iOS12.2.

• edited April 2019

Woo! 🎉🎉 Thanks, @espiegel123 & @ocelot, that's great news, you just became my new favourite people ;-)

Great reproduce steps there, but maddeningly, everything's still working just great for me 🙄

So, we've already nailed it down to a problem in build 113, so I'm wondering if I might impose upon one or both of you to try a couple intermediate builds, to see where exactly in the work between build 112 and 113 the problem arose?

I’ve made four builds that span those changes; they’re hosted on my own server, but they’ll install over the air just like in TestFlight (it should keep all the presets and such) by tapping on the links below.

If you’re up for it:

• first try 1: (hidden)
    • if 1 doesn’t work, try 2a: (hidden)
    • if 1 does work, try 2b: (hidden)
    • if 2b works, try 3a: (hidden)

What a headache, eh? =)

Thanks!!

• @Michael : I can load the Rozeta stuff fine...even in the AB document while the lanes are stuck launching

• Ah - looks like you gotta copy and paste those URLs into the location bar in Safari; they don't seem to turn into links on their own and making it an actual link ends up mangling the URL

• @Michael said:
    Ah - looks like you gotta copy and paste those URLs into the location bar in Safari; they don't seem to turn into links on their own and making it an actual link ends up mangling the URL

When I paste the URL, nothing happens that I can see. No obvious signs of any download activity

• edited April 2019

I'm able to dl and install the first one, but I cannot launch the app. The icon is dim/greyed out.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Michael said:
    Ah - looks like you gotta copy and paste those URLs into the location bar in Safari; they don't seem to turn into links on their own and making it an actual link ends up mangling the URL

When I paste the URL, nothing happens that I can see. No obvious signs of any download activity

Tried again, it says I need to delete the app then install...I have some concern that if I delete the app, I’ll lose my AB docs.

Thoughts?

• First Backup up your AB presets using iTunes File Sharing. Use iTunes, CopyTrans Apps, iMazing.

• @espiegel123 Hmm, so you paste, then hit enter? It should say "Open this page in "iTunes"", then say "staging.audiob.us would like to install "Audiobus 3"". Then if you hit install, it'll silently install the app in the background - you'll see it installing on the home screen. Hopefully!

@ocelot Damn. I wonder what's with that! I think maybe I'm just cursed today... did you see it actually install, with the radial progress indicator over the icon?

• Michael, I watch it being installed. Tried twice with the first link. Same greyed-out app icon both times; tapped the dim icon, nothing happens.

• Bugger. Just doing a bit of research to figure out why...

• Just wanted to mention again that "while the secondary Fugues are still trying to load, if I load the preset again, usually it will load successfully. And immediately."