Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The ULTIMATE iOS music making accessory! Game Changing!Paradigm Shifting!Out of the box (literally)

So my titled claim is based on the following assumptions:

1. The primary, most significant advantage iOS has over other mobile electronic music making platforms is its portability. Maybe the Surface can compete, but not on a price point basis/utility
  2. The functionality of iOS-based music making increases by at least one order of magnitude when you add external controllers/input devices (keyboard, knobs, etc.)

The problem is that as soon as you start adding a little more shit to this magical mobile music platform, the amount of extra shit you need to plug in, carry around, get tangled in, scream about goes up as well... add a USB controller, oops, needs a powered hub, and three usb cables, and a power cable, and... fuck it... If I have to carry all that crap I'll just sit at my PC!

Maybe my frustration threshold is too low, but I HATE all the extra crap that gets in the way once you start adding controllers, etc.

Behooooooolllllddd!! My solution!

I call it, the MünkeyBox!

Yea... It's a poorly constructed wooden box with one end open.

REVOLUTIONARY!

The Next Tesla!!!

That's it.

But let me tell you, it has radically changed how i use my iPad "stuff" and how often I use it. Like nothing else.

I want to hook up my Wavedrum, or Nord Drum or something? Pick up the box, shove my audio interface, powersupply, cables, etc. into the box, pick it all up and play.

Want to use my Faderfox outside on the deck. Shove the USB interface into the box, shove in a USB power brick.. .Boom. Out the door.

No extension chords
No getting tangled in all the usb & power lines

Here's a few sample "configurations":

Comments

• You know what ? I like it !! What a simple yet effective idea :+1: :+1: :+1:

• @dendy said:
    You know what ? I like it !! What a simple yet effective idea :+1: :+1: :+1:

Next up, for my next AMAZING invention... The Wheel!!!

Maybe fire...?

Nah.. It will be THE WHEEL (TM)(R)!!!!

• Hardware store instabuy :D

1. Make it white or silver
    2. Round the corners
    3. Call it i"Something"

=> Profit

(charge a subscription fee and make it hard/impossible to repair)

;P

• @audiblevideo said:
    1. Make it white or silver
    2. Round the corners
    3. Call it i"Something"

=> Profit

(charge a subscription fee and make it hard/impossible to repair)

;P

I'll put a battery pack in it that can spontaneously explode and call it a Tesla. :)

• All kidding aside, this is pretty genius. I am a disabled quadriplegic musician who uses iOS devices as controllers exclusively, because of their touch surface capability.

I currently use a lap tray with iOS devices on the tray and on my lap. Would you be willing to share or sell the dimensions of this box? Or better yet. I would offer to pay you to build one for me.

Let’s discuss

• Neat, reminds me of the wooden frame my Dad made me for my ZX-81 to keep the RAM pack secured. An upgrade from Blu Tack, which wasn’t cutting it.

You’re right about all the stuff we accumulate, might as well have a laptop at some level (not giving up the apps though ...).

• Very nice 👍

• Maybe I'll start a Kickstarter or Indeigogo... Call it The MüsixBox

$10,000 one made of WeirWood and Dragon Horn

• T4HT4H
    edited April 2019

Maybe mod this, it has a memory foam underbelly and built in battery powered usb that drives the light but I’m sure it can be modded. Maybe also take out the pull out mouse pad drawer and store stuff in there. Only 30$ at Costco and comes in diff colors https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/kd/vgya41j93977.jpeg

Link

• Once upon a time, Focusrite had a similar idea and they invented this:

Can be "hacked" to fit an iPad Pro too.
    And makes an USB3 CCK almost obsolete.

• edited April 2019

Ya good simple design.

I designed mine to fit in a pedalboard case. My configuration is a bit more set.

Still pretty simple.

Oh i rounded the corners..... ;)

http://www.multicellularmusic.com/1/ipadalboard2.jpg

• @DWP510 said:
    All kidding aside, this is pretty genius. I am a disabled quadriplegic musician who uses iOS devices as controllers exclusively, because of their touch surface capability.

I currently use a lap tray with iOS devices on the tray and on my lap. Would you be willing to share or sell the dimensions of this box? Or better yet. I would offer to pay you to build one for me.

Let’s discuss

Respect!

• @T4H said:
    Maybe mod this, it has a memory foam underbelly and built in battery powered usb that drives the light but I’m sure it can be modded. Maybe also take out the pull out mouse pad drawer and store stuff in there. Only 30$ at Costco and comes in diff colors https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/kd/vgya41j93977.jpeg

Link

Thanks! I hadn’t seen one like this. I was looking on Amazon when I should’ve been looking on Cosco.

The pull out drawer would give me the extra real estate that my current lap tray is missing, which is what I find so attractive about the “MunkeyBox” design. When performing live, I have an iPad and an iPhone plus, both of which are plugged into powered USB camera connecting kits going in to a Novation audiohub. I bring A little TV tray for the interface to sit on, keeping me tethered to the table.

• @Multicellular said:
    Ya good simple design.

I designed mine to fit in a pedalboard case. My configuration is a bit more set.

Still pretty simple.

This is also a good idea. I will look into lightweight pedalboards

• I approve - simple, effective, clean and cost effective. What's to argue with?

• @T4H said:

Link

What a horrible design!!! There's no sharp edges and the opportunity to get a sliver appears to be non-existent!

• @Multicellular said:
    Ya good simple design.

Still pretty simple.

Your lap must be HUUUGEEEE!!!

• edited April 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@Multicellular said:
    Ya good simple design.

Still pretty simple.

Your lap must be HUUUGEEEE!!!

haha. My wife calls my laptop the 'Lapstop' saying it covers 1.5 laps. Hey she is a small woman though lol. But no it is kinda huge.

but, this design is for the band. I don't sit when I play typically, especially I guess, I don't like to sit when I sing. Still meets the spec of being portable. I mean, my guitar and amp are much bigger than this. And think about what it does...midi pattern/song sequencer, synths of all types, drum machines, lots of knobs and keyboard for playing and control.

• Nah.. It will be THE WHEEL (TM)(R)!!!!

yeah but what colour will it be ;-)

Seriously - this is a nice idea. like it....

• I love simplistic, but highly effective products. it does exactly what it is designed to do. what are the dimensions. I gotta make one of these.
    also, what is that ipad stand you have clamped on there? that’s really nice

• Great. My very first box looked like that. Had to make it deeper when I started using Akai EIE and there went the portability but I'm going to make one soon for Zoom u24.

Thanks for sharing.

• here is an idea for gen 2. add a few more pieces of wood between the top and bottom to create resonant chambers of different sizes. there for you could tap on the top of the box and get different pitch’s to be picked up by the microphone and trigger impaktor or use with this Aum triggering discussed in another thread.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32380/drumming-with-fac-envolver-as-midi-trigger-no-scripting-for-rc275-geoshred-sunrizer#latest

• No Link, not AUv3 .. sorry not interested.
    :D

• edited April 2019

@rs2000 said:
    Once upon a time, Focusrite had a similar idea and they invented this:

Can be "hacked" to fit an iPad Pro too.
    And makes an USB3 CCK almost obsolete.

It’s the way opposite... no hub compatibility, no midi din, some extra incompatibilities (includding its own launchcontrol which works weird without hub in between) makes the cck more useful and desirable. I have both and I’m going to sell this alongside my mini4...

It’s elegant but far from perfect...

About the post idea maybe you can upgrade this old 30pins concept into something more modern...

https://makezine.com/projects/make-31/ipad-music-desk-2/

• @eross said:
    here is an idea for gen 2. add a few more pieces of wood between the top and bottom to create resonant chambers of different sizes. there for you could tap on the top of the box and get different pitch’s to be picked up by the microphone and trigger impaktor or use with this Aum triggering discussed in another thread.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32380/drumming-with-fac-envolver-as-midi-trigger-no-scripting-for-rc275-geoshred-sunrizer#latest

I saw the first post in this thread and thats exactly what I thought it would be. I was a little disappointed to realize its just a box. For your iThings. Oh well. :wink:

• @Hmtx said:

@eross said:
    here is an idea for gen 2. add a few more pieces of wood between the top and bottom to create resonant chambers of different sizes. there for you could tap on the top of the box and get different pitch’s to be picked up by the microphone and trigger impaktor or use with this Aum triggering discussed in another thread.

I saw the first post in this thread and thats exactly what I thought it would be. I was a little disappointed to realize its just a box. For your iThings. Oh well. :wink:

JUST a box?!!! JUST a box!!!!

• @eross said:

I have a Korg Wavedrum. It's a bajillion times better than a contact mic & some apps.

• I have bamboo wood floors but you sure have clean carpets.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I have bamboo wood floors but you sure have clean carpets.

I also have a wife and she likes to vacuum.