Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Guitar updated with AU Hosting

Just seen this pop up as an IAP, haven’t tried it yet.

MIDI Guitar by Jam Origin

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-guitar/id523095780?mt=8

Comments

• IAP £9.99 to do it !

• I know it’s a bit steep considering I already got the other IAPs, I think I’ll stick to hosting in AUM.

• On a completely different note I heard Bias FX by Positive Grid is doing a limited 48 hour free trial version.

https://www.gearnews.com/free-48h-trial-version-of-bias-fx-mobile-ios-app-for-iphone-and-ipad/

• Yeah I'm not paying that lol. This app already got $80 from me and I never use it.

• This is a curious move. Why would I invest in a specific new AU host system (with all of its limitations and possible bugs) if I already have the most stable, evolutive and clever solution (AUM) for this...They should better transform MIDI guitar into an AU midi app and maybe make a new sellable version to make it profitable.

• Yeah I agree with you guys. @cuscolima yes I would definitely be purchasing if it was transformed into an AUv3 that I could host wherever (usually AUM at the moment)

I’ve had a quick try out of it - you can insert AUv3s as instruments and fx without purchasing the IAP... you just get a time out message and interruption every now and then. It’s good that you can fully test it out before dropping cash on it.

It looks to me like it’s not showing all my AUs. Not sure why. It seems to show different lists in the instrument, FX and plug in drop downs.

• edited April 2019

Now crashes every time for me scanning for plug ins (latest iOS 1st Gen Pro), unusable.

I’m buggered if I’m deleting them one by one to try to diagnose which one is the culprit, assuming it’s the AU’s fault.

Reminds me of desktop VST Hell back in the day.

So, a feature has been added that nobody wanted and it’s bricked the app for me.

Shame, I was in the habit of talking this up as the best Audio to MIDI on iOS.

Proceed with caution people.

UPDATE -

Seems to need multiple attempts to finally load the plug in list and once loaded seems OK although I can’t test with a guitar right now. I’m guessing it’s baulking at some and crashing.

The main plug in list is incomplete, seems to end at around 50 plugins (wow, didn’t realise I had so many ...).

• Unfortunately it still requires to buy the useless (for me) fx IAP for buying the midi output I need . And still no AB or IAA....

• so if we buy the $9.99 AU hosting can we avoid the $30 MIDI out purchases and just host and control an AU inside MIDI Guitar? That might be worth it to me...

• Yeah I am confused as I have been waiting to upgrade to get the almighty MIDI OUT, but now I see this which was 10 bucks cheaper and the only downside is no outboard synths. I could be wrong and I also wanted to know the latency facts with the different methods. I would think direct to outboard synths would be fastest as a guess but maybe the auv3 inside the app is faster? I found this app to be amazing all shmiggles aside and learning curve its great but cpu heavy and so I was even guessing the semi weak (but tweak able I just noted) internal synth is fastest and it would be good to know. I felt the poly mode with internal sounds was good for poly but external synths overpowered the cpu for me. Cheers and glad this is still rocking app.

• Eh, seems a misstep in understanding AU functionality. Big pass on this IAP, rather my synth and effects chain hosted by the thing I'm recording in. Maybe someone will find it useful for some reason.

• @Hmtx said:
    so if we buy the $9.99 AU hosting can we avoid the $30 MIDI out purchases and just host and control an AU inside MIDI Guitar? That might be worth it to me...

I don’t think so, unless there is a glitch

• edited April 2019

Maybe an impact on latency? I don’t know....

• I suspect that the AU hosting feature is for those people that are using the app + iDevice for live use as if it were a standalone guitar synth.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I suspect that the AU hosting feature is for those people that are using the app + iDevice for live use as if it were a standalone guitar synth.

Probably so... I mean, what else would it be?

I’m just curious if the app hosts AUv3 synths, then maybe I can avoid the MIDI out purchases. And maybe even record the MIDI inside the app with Atom or Photon?

• @Hmtx said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I suspect that the AU hosting feature is for those people that are using the app + iDevice for live use as if it were a standalone guitar synth.

I’m just curious if the app hosts AUv3 synths, then maybe I can avoid the MIDI out purchases. And maybe even record the MIDI inside the app with Atom or Photon?

Possibly. Jam Origin seems to write back when emailed inquiries like that.

To be honest, MIDI Guitar is such a good solution and so much less expensive than any equivalently good alternate solution (i.e. something like the Fishman TriplePlay) that I regret all the time that I spent on-the-fence before I purchased the other IAPs.

• @Hmtx said:

@espiegel123 said:

I tried it for you. It seems to be a no-go.

I tried recording with Photon, but it didn’t receive any midi.
    I tried to output midi with QuantiChord, but AUM didn’t see it as an available midi source.
    Atom doesn’t show up as a choice in the list.

I believe it is only affecting the audio being generated by the app. When I put AU audio FX in, they affect the TestPiano sound. I don’t think Midi AU is supported, at least not without buying the midi output IAP. Maybe then you could use AU midi, but that defeats the purpose of your plan.

I haven’t tried outputting Midi from the app into a AU Midi hosted in the app, so I don’t know if that actually would work. I doubt I would ever do that anyway.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Now crashes every time for me scanning for plug ins (latest iOS 1st Gen Pro), unusable.

I’m buggered if I’m deleting them one by one to try to diagnose which one is the culprit, assuming it’s the AU’s fault.

So, a feature has been added that nobody wanted and it’s bricked the app for me.

UPDATE -

Seems to need multiple attempts to finally load the plug in list and once loaded seems OK although I can’t test with a guitar right now. I’m guessing it’s baulking at some and crashing.

The main plug in list is incomplete, seems to end at around 50 plugins (wow, didn’t realise I had so many ...).

After updating, I had a long wait and multiple crashes while it scanned my plugins, too.

I was trying to relaunch the app using the App icon in the taskbar, but it kept crashing.
    Then I pulled it up from the background instead, and it finished scanning in about 3-4 seconds and is working now. Maybe a coincidence? I don’t know.

When I look at the list under the plugins button, my list ends in the ‘H’ section. But when I hit a plugin slot to load one up, the list has stuff A - Z, so I assume that is all the plugins I have installed and available.

• @CracklePot said:

@TheVimFuego said:

UPDATE -

After updating, I had a long wait and multiple crashes while it scanned my plugins, too.

I was trying to relaunch the app using the App icon in the taskbar, but it kept crashing.
    Then I pulled it up from the background instead, and it finished scanning in about 3-4 seconds and is working now. Maybe a coincidence? I don’t know.

When I look at the list under the plugins button, my list ends in the ‘H’ section. But when I hit a plugin slot to load one up, the list has stuff A - Z, so I assume that is all the plugins I have installed and available.

Yes, my main list ends at ‘I’ but all seem to be available in the slots.

Why the lengthily scan is mandatory even if you don’t want to use AUs is beyond me.

It’s still the best Audio to MIDI on iOS but this update is puzzling.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@CracklePot said:

@TheVimFuego said:

UPDATE -

Why the lengthily scan is mandatory even if you don’t want to use AUs is beyond me.

We should all send them an email reporting the scanning issue.

• @espiegel123 said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@CracklePot said:

@TheVimFuego said:

UPDATE -

We should all send them an email reporting the scanning issue.

Indeed, will do, complex thing to test what with all the variations of AUs out there, they can’t all be compliant with whatever vague standard Apple has come up with.

An option to not scan or flag an issue and skip would be appreciated.

• I am alway afraid to update apps like this. How are people finding this update (other than the AU scanning annoyance).

• There’s some discussion about the technical barriers the developers encountered on their forum. It seems a strange choice to add this particular AUv3 hosting functionality but could be useful in the instance where the app is used standalone as you can make presets (mentioned earlier in the thread).

The app itself doesn’t afford any real added benefit beyond that — other than the UI improvements. There’s no option to turn Background Audio on/off now too. The app actually can be used as an IAA device in AUM but you can’t mute it!!! And there seems to be a doubled signal in that particular use case.

I played with (tried too break!!!) the TestFlight versions for this release and use MG2 a lot on both macOS and iOS. Frankly, I’m a little disappointed right now but believe in this product/developer in general. For now, I’ll be sticking to Virtual MIDI and hosting synths in AUM/Audiobus.

The macOS version is really great and I wonder what they’ll do with it next.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I am alway afraid to update apps like this. How are people finding this update (other than the AU scanning annoyance).

I think it needs to successfully scan one time. It did crash several times but once it made it that's done with.

It's a universal App by the way.

I ended up uplocking everything. It's a great App for guitar and I always coveted the
    Roland Guitar Synth's so for $40 I got a lot more than that aging piece of gear.

The tracking is good. The bends work well.

My AU's show up in the list of Instruments (it has a nice set already). I own another 50.
    And my 90 FX AU's show up in the list of FX.

The internal FX are the usual lot and sound quality seem top notch but having the
    game of AU Multi-FX will be over the top for $40 (of course I sunk a lot of money into this
    library of tools over time).

3 FX Slots and a Cabinet with 6 choices.

Seems to track acceptably well on my iPhone. Bends best with MPE synths.
    Pianos and iSymphonic strings really throw you and the chords are so intone
    which is not guaranteed on a guitar. Only in stretches betokening tunings.

I have an iPhone 5S around here I should load up and Velco to my Tele, plug in some
    headphones and play outside. I ran iReal Pro and tonight and played some Blues keyboards
    which blows my mind. All the Roland sounds are built to the App too.

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    The app actually can be used as an IAA device in AUM.

Is this true? It not in any list of Apps in AUM for me or do you mean AUM can accept the MIDI it generates. Is there a trick to record it's audio output? It looks like I'll have to use
    the Audio Interface "Cabled Audio Loopback" technique unless I'm missing an option.

• Sorry, I didn't explain very well before.
    Yes, it's true.
    Yes, you can record audio output in AUM - I just tried it and it works.
    You can actually mute the channel by swiping the audio input source left in AUM.
    I don't know what the "Cabled Audio Loopback" technique is but I imagine you won't need it.
    I guess you can record MIDI too if you send Virtual MIDI to a MIDI recording app.

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    Yes, it's true.
    Yes, you can record audio output in AUM - I just tried it and it works.
    You can actually mute the channel by swiping the audio input source left in AUM.

Thanks! Now why wasn't it obvious the MIDI Guitar belongs in an FX slot. I get these little clues that I'm loosing mental capacity which is exactly why I need to keep adding new
    skills to build more pathways.

I don't know what the "Cabled Audio Loopback" technique is but I imagine you won't need it.

It's literally taking the line outs of my Audio Interface after the D-to-A process and cabling it to the Audio Interface's R+L channels for A-to-D processing so it can be treated as a new Audio source in AUM. The loss of quality probably depends upon the specs of the Audio Interface and getting the right gain structure (getting the knobs right).

I use it to Auto-Sample IAA's with SynthJacker. To do that I also cable MIDI OUT to MIDI IN and treat the IAA App as an "external hardware device" in SynthJacker.

I guess you can record MIDI too if you send Virtual MIDI to a MIDI recording app.

I'll want to do that with Atom FX instances so I'll check for that.

• How stable is the new update? Is it working OK?

I updated on my iPhone just to have a quick look and see what the changes are but have not had a chance to test it out yet - I'll wait a bit to update my iPad till I know its a solid build.

• Curious thing here: I can load MIDI Guitar in the effects slot of AUM and it works great. BUT the app is not at all available in Audiobus... can anyone else confirm?

• @Hmtx said:
    Curious thing here: I can load MIDI Guitar in the effects slot of AUM and it works great. BUT the app is not at all available in Audiobus... can anyone else confirm?

yes. same