Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Massive AUM update 1.3.0 dropped

Now, it's not such fresh anymore, but still I felt the need for a topic to celebrate this and base new posting on this update:

AUM - Audio Mixer by Kymatica AB

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aum-audio-mixer/id1055636344?l=en&mt=8

MAJOR NEW FEATURES

• Finally, updated to Ableton Link 3 with start/stop support!
• Add new "MIDI strip" channel type to hold MIDI-only AU plugins.
• Allow importing channels from another session. (Tap IMPORT add-button, or long-press a session file and choose 'Import channels')
• Allow easy duplication of channel strip.
• Allow loading sessions via MIDI actions. Its configuration is saved globally instead of in the session.
• Add MIDI program change as recognized MIDI control messages.
• Add MIDI ctrl for tap tempo.
• Add MIDI action 'Show Plugin' for AUv3 nodes.
• Add MIDI actions for AUv3 preset-loading.
• Avoid stuck notes when bypassing/disconnecting MIDI sources or changing MIDI destination filter/transpose
• Show AU contextName (if set) in plugin title and as node icon subtitle, long-press AU plugin title bar to edit.

IMPROVEMENTS

• Re-apply preferred samplerate on audio interface route change.
• Remember preferred sample rate on app launch.
• Save preferred instead of current sample rate in session.
• Bring keyboard to front if currently behind the plugin window when tapping plugin window keyboard button.
• Send error string to Audiobus if preset load failed.
• MIDI matrix: highlight source and dest on touch-down.
• Support upside-down portrait on iPhone.
• Improve display of long names in MIDI control table.
• MIDI learn consistency: always ignore the message that triggered the learn.
• Tweak node param-knob and menu button layout for consistency.
• Only update latency compensation on node-bypass if the node has latency.
• Save project: save when tapping Return on keyboard.
• Various minor UI and layout tweaks.
• Keep connections to MIDI Control from permanent MIDI sources on load/new session.
• Minor optimizations for MIDI Control.

BUGFIXES

• AUv3 Transpose: ignore extra bytes in note messages (hello Thesys).
• Clear MIDI matrix when loading session so it isn't keeping connections from previous session.
• Don't crash when trying to MIDI-control parameters of a crashed AU plugin.
• NodePicker: avoid keyboard on iPhone.
• NodePicker: fix memory leak if dismissed while in search mode.
• NodePicker: hide 'remove slot' button while searching.
• NodePicker: hide search if collection empty.
• Make sure we don't free MIDI sources/destinations too early. Hopefully avoids rare crash...
• Improve MIDI safety when AU plugin was invalidated (crashed).
• Update MIDI matrix correctly if visible while loading session.

Comments

• Or is it 2.0? 👊🏼😎

@j_liljedahl what an incredible update! You are on fire and so is your AUM!!!!

• This really opens up AUM a lot for quicker workflows. I'm excited to play around with this.

• I'm a bit confused about one thing and would like to see another thing changed

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

1) Using the Plus sign shows some options for a short time and than vanishes

This is way too dynamic for me, as I tend to steer onto the three options and try to decide what I want to add next - and bammm, the options are already vanished again!

Please don't let them vanish automatically anymore, @j_liljedahl

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

2) I see "Audio Unit Extensions" in both the MIDI and Audio options.

Below both, I only see "instruments" while I seem to remember that there also where "generators" earlier.

What's the difference between adding an AU to the MIDI option compared to the Audio option?

And what happened to the generators?

Given that IAA Apps are not visible at all below the MIDI option, the new layout indeed confuses me!

I never had this effect on earlier versions.

It got more cryptic and could possibly benefit from some changes in the descriptions.

• Missed Easter by 2 days - the resurrection.

How much is this going to cost me? I need more Foot Controls for sure.
    How many BlueBoards work in parallel? Behringer keeps calling to me for those
    expression pedals too. Who has the most MIDI-mapped buttons? 4 with 2 expressions
    will not be enough now.

• @tja

I think generators always referred to IAA.

The difference is as audio, it receives midi and creates audio. As midi, it generates midi or transforms incoming midi and outputs midi.

The new midi option is only for AU midi apps. These run in the host, while IAA midi apps run outside the host, but connect to the host through IAA, or have to be manually connected through Virtual midi.
    I believe that is why you have to leave the host to use the IAA apps, by app switching, while AU apps have their own window inside the host and don’t require app switching.

• Many thanks, @CracklePot
    That cleared some stuff for me :)

• @tja said:
    Many thanks, @CracklePot
    That cleared some stuff for me :)

You’re welcome. :)

• Duplicating Channels!
    Stacking midi au's!
    Loading channels from other sessions!
    Ya, this is awesome

• @j_liljedahl you are a champion! 🏆

• @j_liljedahl oops, crashes in IOS 9.3.2 :'(

• @tja said:
    2) I see "Audio Unit Extensions" in both the MIDI and Audio options.

Below both, I only see "instruments" while I seem to remember that there also where "generators" earlier.

What's the difference between adding an AU to the MIDI option compared to the Audio option?

Add it to a MIDI strip if you're only interested in using its MIDI output and don't want to waste a whole audio channel strip for it.

And what happened to the generators?

Nothing happened to the generators. Both AU plugins and IAA apps can be Instruments (takes MIDI input) or Generators (does not take MIDI input). You probably don't have any AU Generators installed, they're quite uncommon.

• edited April 2019

@Telefunky said:
    @j_liljedahl oops, crashes in IOS 9.3.2 :'(

Yeah, sorry about that! Will look into this ASAP. And I'll remember to set minimum iOS 10 for the next update, because as you just noticed it's hard to keep compatibility so many iOS versions back. :(

• @j_liljedahl

Are there any CPU implications/improvements with the new version? I noticed a slight hit after the last update.

• I'll remember to set minimum iOS 10 for the next update

That sucks!

• @Moppsy said:

I'll remember to set minimum iOS 10 for the next update

That sucks!

So does maintaining a complicated codebase for the benefits of the Luddites out there ;)

• So does maintaining a complicated codebase for the benefits of the Luddites out there ;)

Be that as it may. It still sucks!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:

@Moppsy said:

So does maintaining a complicated codebase for the benefits of the Luddites out there ;)

Be that as it may. It still sucks!

No midi AU must also suck.

:'(

it does.