Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iOS sequencer: cykle - beta testers wanted

cp3cp3
edited April 2019 in General App Discussion

hello everyone, i hope this doesn’t come off as spam - if so, please feel free to remove this post.

i’m looking for beta testers for a new iOS music app I’m developing, called cykle. a video demo can be seen here:

the public Testflight link is here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/EAyichGs .

cykle is a generative step sequencer app for iOS. it’s based around the idea of sequencing various musical parameters independently (e.g., pitch, velocity, duration, step length). thus, cykle allows complex musical phrases to emerge from simple constituents. it was originally conceived as a sequencer to drive other sound generating apps and devices, but it also has an internal synth.

bug- and crashreports, feature requests and general feedback are welcome.

in terms of features, the following is already on the roadmap:

1.0 release:

• help/tutorial section
  • saving and loading patterns
  • configure internal synth (e.g, waveform) per channel
  • configure MIDI (channel, cc number) per channel
  • additional sequence types (e.g., transpose, chance)
  • ability add and remove sequences on a channel
  • prettier app icon

1.1 upgrade:

• AUv3
  • Audiobus and IAA support
  • sequence pitches with MIDI note input

later on:

• receive MIDI clock
  • universal (i.e., iPad) version version

Comments

• Ah, finally a simple AU step sequencer with de-coupled sequencer lanes.
    Looks interesting. And intuitive.

• edited April 2019

Boarding now... thanks mate

After first opening I had no internal synth sounds. I switched it off and on again and there it goes... maybe a heisenbug, ever since I got sound.

• @david_2017 said:
    After first opening I had no internal synth sounds. I switched it off and on again and there it goes... maybe a heisenbug, ever since I got sound.

fix coming up, thanks!

• this is genius

• Definitely interested when it's got an ipad version + AUv3. I would have thought pushing ipad up the list of importance might generate more sales initially as most of us are ipad based I think. :)

• Nice. Not sure I'll get it until it implements AU3 and iPad, but will watch with interest.

For standalone you're going to want to implement Ableton Link, as a lot of your potential users will want that (obviously a workaround is to use it as an au3 AUM/Audiobus, which is how I will use it).

And at some point you might want to think about adding scenes.

• @Carnbot said:
    Definitely interested when it's got an ipad version + AUv3. I would have thought pushing ipad up the list of importance might generate more sales initially as most of us are ipad based I think. :)

alright, i'll consider prioritizing iPad, but I think it might be more work as I want to do something that makes sense on the iPad form factor (rather than a scaled up iPhone version)

@cian said:
    Nice. Not sure I'll get it until it implements AU3 and iPad, but will watch with interest.

For standalone you're going to want to implement Ableton Link, as a lot of your potential users will want that (obviously a workaround is to use it as an au3 AUM/Audiobus, which is how I will use it).

And at some point you might want to think about adding scenes.

Ableton Link is already implemented! you can activate via in the settings screen (the gear icon on the top right).

• @cp3 said:

@Carnbot said:
    Definitely interested when it's got an ipad version + AUv3. I would have thought pushing ipad up the list of importance might generate more sales initially as most of us are ipad based I think. :)

alright, i'll consider prioritizing iPad, but I think it might be more work as I want to do something that makes sense on the iPad form factor (rather than a scaled up iPhone version)

Understandable. :)

If you prioritized AUv3 that would mean you wouldn't need to release a specific scaled up ipad version as AUs work in smaller scale, just in landscape. Could just make it AUv3 only for ipad.

• Rad I'll deff test this.

• will test :D

• This has lots of fun inside. I'll wait for AUv3 support to purchase but it'll be an immediate and anticipated purchase when the AUv3 version arrives. Well conceived!

• Nice sequencer!!

I think Auv3 suport must be one the first goals in your roadmap...

• Wonderful, though at first I struggled to understand it. Can it send any of the lanes to different channels?
    Also it only seems to work when on its on page, audio turns off when I view a synth that I have designated.

• @cp3 Great signed up on the TestFlight. Obviously designed for iPhone hope you can make it landscape at some point as nothing worse on a iPad seeing the app in portrait saw it was planned in your notes so cool.

• @cp3 does it has Background mode ? Shows up as midi client in AB3.

• Had a quick play this morning.

Got the no sound on first play but it was fine once I restarted the app.

Kinda reminds me of a more playful version of Cycling 74's M sequencer. Like it on iPhone, really suits the form factor.

Would initially like to see more scales and maybe per-lane scales. Otherwise good fun.

• Any file/state save options on the horizon?

• iPad screen?

• iPad or not, please let it rotate properly - the basic requirement for any mobile App :) :) :)

• I also had no sound on first launch.
    I went into the options and toggled the synth on/off and it fixed it.

• Holy crap!
    This thing is freakin’ cool!

• cp3cp3
    edited April 2019

thanks so much everyone! pushed a new beta build (0.5.1) with a fix for the app launching with sound turned off.

@Jumpercollins said:
    @cp3 does it has Background mode ? Shows up as midi client in AB3.

background mode isn't working properly yet, but will be fixed before release.

@Metalman said:
    Wonderful, though at first I struggled to understand it. Can it send any of the lanes to different channels?
    Also it only seems to work when on its on page, audio turns off when I view a synth that I have designated.

each lane modulates is the sequence in some way. currently every channel (selectable on the bottom: 1, 2, 3...) is hardcoded to its corresponding midi channel. this will be configurable.

@Metalman said:
    Any file/state save options on the horizon?

definitely, one of the first things on my list.

• edited April 2019

(not signing up for the beta because overcommitted already and won't be able to give anything useful)

This looks really interesting - reminds me a little of some of the ideas behind Kria from monome . One thing I'd definitely be tempted to borrow from that (if you haven't implemented it already) is that each separate sequence/track has its own clock divider.

Unsolicited advice: As one developer to another I'd be super tempted to implement this as an AUv3 rather than standalone - it will save you so much heavy lifting and support. There is always someone doing something you've not imagined "when I'm using my iPhone 5 in the bath tunnelling midi over morse code....." :-) - the AUv3 hosts have done all the hard work (& field the support) to let you focus on your apps functionality. Anyway just my $0.02

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this though

• @pagefall said:
    Unsolicited advice: As one developer to another I'd be super tempted to implement this as an AUv3 rather than standalone - it will save you so much heavy lifting and support.

Interesting :wink:

BTW, just so other people knows, I sent a feedback to @cp3 regarding lower BPM support and ability to resync/reset the track pulse (if they drift by user accident :lol: )

• @pagefall said:
    (not signing up for the beta because overcommitted already and won't be able to give anything useful)

This looks really interesting - reminds me a little of some of the ideas behind Kria from monome . One thing I'd definitely be tempted to borrow from that (if you haven't implemented it already) is that each separate sequence/track has its own clock divider.

yeah, good one! thanks

Unsolicited advice: As one developer to another I'd be super tempted to implement this as an AUv3 rather than standalone - it will save you so much heavy lifting and support. There is always someone doing something you've not imagined "when I'm using my iPhone 5 in the bath tunnelling midi over morse code....." :-) - the AUv3 hosts have done all the hard work (& field the support) to let you focus on your apps functionality. Anyway just my $0.02

I see your point about AUv3 but I personally really appreciate the self-contained nature of standalone apps. the original incentive for creating cykle was that i wanted a quick and easy sequencer to drive external gear. having to load up AUM and a bunch of plugins defaults the purpose in terms of immediacy/simplicity, though I see the merits of the plugin format too.

• I was gonna send the feedback via email only, but since you mentioned this...

@cp3 said:
    I personally really appreciate the self-contained nature of standalone apps. the original incentive for creating cykle was that i wanted a quick and easy sequencer to drive external gear

Yesterday I was playing it driving my Yamaha QY70. Wow... awesome. Amazing dynamic. Today i'm gonna make cykle play with my EMX, SP-404, ST-224, MC-303 and PMA-5. My Yamaha FB-01 gotta wait for the weekend :wink:

• Man, this looks awesome! It's like an actually usable version of Thesys. However, and I get you said you want it standalone, etc. etc., Not being AU, thus not being able to have more than one instance is a kinda big deal.

We can get close to this thing using multiple AU midi apps, utilities, etc. or Thesys.

So if you haven't picked up on the fact that you'll sell more if it's AU, or you don't mind selling less, then sure, leave it as a stand-alone. But even if you get reviews, press etc. they will ALL say, "it's not AU."

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

So if you haven't picked up on the fact that you'll sell more if it's AU, or you don't mind selling less, then sure, leave it as a stand-alone. But even if you get reviews, press etc. they will ALL say, "it's not AU."

Exactly this. But the beauty of being an independent dev is that you get to make the call. If you prefer standalone and don't care what customers think, you can just follow your own path.

• Looks like great fun. And super handsome to boot.

sequence pitches with MIDI note input

This would be fun for sure. As would the ability to transpose the note sequences by MIDI note (or another internal sequencer track?) for 'Berlin School' type stuff.

+1 on the clock dividing request.

I'm a fan of stand alone as well but for sure, we're absolutely in the minority around here.

• cp3cp3
    edited April 2019

@senhorlampada
    Yesterday I was playing it driving my Yamaha QY70. Wow... awesome. Amazing dynamic. Today i'm gonna make cykle play with my EMX, SP-404, ST-224, MC-303 and PMA-5. My Yamaha FB-01 gotta wait for the weekend :wink:

wooah! B) could you post an audio or video recording of any of this? i've given it a spin with my Elektron Digitone the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_33b1Wf2Y.

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Man, this looks awesome! It's like an actually usable version of Thesys. However, and I get you said you want it standalone, etc. etc., Not being AU, thus not being able to have more than one instance is a kinda big deal.

i meant to explain why i want cykle to also be a standalone app, in response to pagefall, even if it means doing a lot of the 'heavy lifting' in terms of functionality and support myself. AUv3 version is definitely coming though, in fact I'm already working on it :)