Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(Edit) Is Auria the Closest Thing on iOS to Cool Edit/Adobe Audition?

Some of you might have seen me talk about doing radio production in Auria, but I’ve had a good amount of crashes with automation and it drives me nuts. With the NS2 sale I’m very tempted but I’m hoping y’all can give me a better idea.

Is NS2 free flowing like Auria? As in NS2 isn’t just for music production. I have BM3 but I would never think to use it for radio production like I do Auria. From what it seems Auria is best for what I do but I’m open to try another daw if it isn’t music based like BM3 and such.

Thanks for any input.

Edit:

Ok well I’m an idiot. Thought it had audio tracks. So basically Auria is the closest thing on iOS to Cool Edit/Adobe Audition. Yea? Anyone familiar with Adobe or Cool Edit?

Comments

• @nic_b_nice said:
    Some of you might have seen me talk about doing radio production in Auria, but I’ve had a good amount of crashes with automation and it drives me nuts. With the NS2 sale I’m very tempted but I’m hoping y’all can give me a better idea.

Is NS2 free flowing like Auria? As in NS2 isn’t just for music production. I have BM3 but I would never think to use it for radio production like I do Auria. From what it seems Auria is best for what I do but I’m open to try another daw if it isn’t music based like BM3 and such.

Thanks for any input.

NS2 doesn’t have Audio Tracks yet. Isn’t that kind of a deal breaker for radio production?

• Oh really? Well then I guess had it confused with Cubasis. I coulda swore I saw a video with audio tracks...ah just checked YouTube again. The video was about recording audio into the sampler.

Well that makes it simple. At this point I might try BM3.

That’s for the reply

• edited April 2019

@nic_b_nice said:
    Oh really? Well then I guess had it confused with Cubasis. I coulda swore I saw a video with audio tracks...ah just checked YouTube again. The video was about recording audio into the sampler.

That’s for the reply

I don't know what sort of radio production you're doing... but I would think that Auria Pro would be the best choice.

Or, have you looked into Ferrite? It's free for the basic features. It's ducking feature is excellent. And there's an IAP to add Pro features: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1018780185?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

• @nic_b_nice said:

Thanks for any input.

Edit:

Ok well I’m an idiot. Thought it had audio tracks. So basically Auria is the closest thing on iOS to Cool Edit/Adobe Audition. Yea? Anyone familiar with Adobe or Cool Edit?

Btw, if you are experiencing crashes with the latest Auria Pro, please report them to RIM (@wavemachinelabs here) on the Auria Pro forum. The dev is in active bug-killing mode.

• @skiphunt said:

@nic_b_nice said:
    Oh really? Well then I guess had it confused with Cubasis. I coulda swore I saw a video with audio tracks...ah just checked YouTube again. The video was about recording audio into the sampler.

That’s for the reply

I don't know what sort of radio production you're doing... but I would think that Auria Pro would be the best choice.

Or, have you looked into Ferrite? It's free for the basic features. It's ducking feature is excellent. And there's an IAP to add Pro features: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1018780185?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Typical stuff: show intros, sweepers, ID’s, commercials, etc

Thanks for your time and input.

• @espiegel123 said:

@nic_b_nice said:

Thanks for any input.

Edit:

Btw, if you are experiencing crashes with the latest Auria Pro, please report them to RIM (@wavemachinelabs here) on the Auria Pro forum. The dev is in active bug-killing mode.

Will do my best. Usually every time it crashes I reply to crash prompt. Thanks!

• @nic_b_nice said:

@espiegel123 said:

@nic_b_nice said:

Thanks for any input.

Edit:

Will do my best. Usually every time it crashes I reply to crash prompt. Thanks!

I think those reports may get lost in the shuffle. I think follow-ups reporting them on the Auria Pro forum are helpful.

• @nic_b_nice : if you do fine trimming of audio events, Auria Pro is superior to Cubasis (which has a hidden undefeatable grid that restricts audio edit points)

• @espiegel123 said:
    @nic_b_nice : if you do fine trimming of audio events, Auria Pro is superior to Cubasis (which has a hidden undefeatable grid that restricts audio edit points)

Not true. Just change the display from beats/bars to time to defeat the grid for audio editing

• @Rebus_Knebus said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @nic_b_nice : if you do fine trimming of audio events, Auria Pro is superior to Cubasis (which has a hidden undefeatable grid that restricts audio edit points)

Not true. Just change the display from beats/bars to time to defeat the grid for audio editing

I think they mean that at maximum zoom it is not fine enough for them.

• I love iOS, but I would probably use ableton for this task just cuz it would be so simple and quick if you know what you wanna do..
    Editing audio in Ableton is the best there is imo...
    Creating music and jamming,... IOS

• @Rebus_Knebus said:

@espiegel123 said:

That is not what I am finding. Are you able to trim and move audio (or midi for that matter) by truly arbitrarily small amounts? I am not able to do so.

With quantize off, I find no difference in behavior for audio edits whether timeline units are seconds or beats. Grid seems to be 1/128th note(?). That is a small enough increment for many tasks but for people that need to make some kinds of fine edits that really isn't fine enough.

Granted, most people don't need to make such edits but some do.

• @espiegel123 said:

I think those reports may get lost in the shuffle. I think follow-ups reporting them on the Auria Pro forum are helpful.

Ok. I’m bad because I should have been writing all my problems with Auria in my notes app or actual written form. I’ve relied on the prompt.

And yes at times I need to zoom in/fine trim and move audio a millisecond or whatever the proper term.

I downloaded Ferrite @skiphunt , have you used the noise reduction? Has anyone used it? That is one feature Auria is missing. Unless I’ve missed it..doh!

Ferrite looks to be competition or a great compliment to Auria! Thanks for any info on Ferrite.

• @espiegel123 said:
    >

Granted, most people don't need to make such edits but some do.

Yes we do!

• @nic_b_nice said:

@espiegel123 said:

Ok. I’m bad because I should have been writing all my problems with Auria in my notes app or actual written form. I’ve relied on the prompt.

And yes at times I need to zoom in/fine trim and move audio a millisecond or whatever the proper term.

I downloaded Ferrite @skiphunt , have you used the noise reduction? Has anyone used it? That is one feature Auria is missing. Unless I’ve missed it..doh!

Ferrite looks to be competition or a great compliment to Auria! Thanks for any info on Ferrite.

For hiss/noise removal, the Brussfri AUv3 works quite well as long as you have a noise sample.

• @Rebus_Knebus @espiegel123

Cubasis sequencer precision is 48 PPQN. It means 1 beat is divided to 48 segments - that's smallest offset you can move event on timeline.

@nic_b_nice

For crash report is best to send crash log to developer (or upload it somewhere and put link into forum post). Crash logs are located in iOs settings:

Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data

Locate there file name witch contains applicstion name and datetime of crash - when you open that dile, in top right corner is "share" icon which you can use for sending file to e-mail or share to dropbbox for example (if you have dropbox app installed)

• @nic_b_nice said:

@espiegel123 said:

I only used it in its early development. It’s a good developer who also created excellent apps like Mitosynth, etc. He updates the app regularly and maintains it. It looks like his target user is the professional podcast/journalist/radio market. It looks like most of the features are there in the free version. His implementation of the ducking feature is very good, so I’m guessing the built in noise reduction is likely equally well done.

With regard to Auria Pro crashing... I haven’t had any problems with it. I did about a year or so ago and ended up deleting and completely reinstalling. I know that’s a huge pain, but my crashing went away after that.

Also, I have a rhythm sequencer AU app that’s in beta. It will completely crash Auria for some reason, while it works fine in all other hosts. Granted, it’s still a beta... but you might investigate if it’s one of your other apps that’s crashing Auria instead of a bug in Auria itself.

• edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:

Switch the ruler to 'time mode'(instead of bars and beats') and that snap-grid is 'history' when you double-tap on the audio-event to do the edits...

I know it's an insane work-around but it works...
    Snap on the 'time-line' even when it's 'off' is there because of Cubasis's low PPQN.

• @skiphunt said:

@nic_b_nice said:

@espiegel123 said:

I only used it in its early development. It’s a good developer who also created excellent apps like Mitosynth, etc. He updates the app regularly and maintains it. It looks like his target user is the professional podcast/journalist/radio market. It looks like most of the features are there in the free version. His implementation of the ducking feature is very good, so I’m guessing the built in noise reduction is likely equally well done.

With regard to Auria Pro crashing... I haven’t had any problems with it. I did about a year or so ago and ended up deleting and completely reinstalling. I know that’s a huge pain, but my crashing went away after that.

Also, I have a rhythm sequencer AU app that’s in beta. It will completely crash Auria for some reason, while it works fine in all other hosts. Granted, it’s still a beta... but you might investigate if it’s one of your other apps that’s crashing Auria instead of a bug in Auria itself.

@skiphunt , please report this to the Auria dev, he is working hard at squashing bugs and bringing AU Midi up to par --doing a great job and the more data he has about what to look at the better.

• @espiegel123 said:

@skiphunt said:

@nic_b_nice said:

@espiegel123 said:

@skiphunt , please report this to the Auria dev, he is working hard at squashing bugs and bringing AU Midi up to par --doing a great job and the more data he has about what to look at the better.

If you read my post... it’s a beta app that crashes Auria. Not one that’s actually been released yet. I doubt the Auria developer wants the headache of troubleshooting potential bugs in OTHER developer’s apps. ;)

Once the beta is publicly released, if it still crashes Auria, I’ll certainly pass it on to the dev.

• @skiphunt : if it isn't crashing other apps, dev will be interested even if the other app is beta. IMO, when a dev is actively fixing bugs is a great time to report things to get them fixed as that is when they are actively engaged. (Speaking as a retired dev :) )

• @espiegel123 said:
    @skiphunt : if it isn't crashing other apps, dev will be interested even if the other app is beta. IMO, when a dev is actively fixing bugs is a great time to report things to get them fixed as that is when they are actively engaged. (Speaking as a retired dev :) )

Both devs have now been notified :)

• @nic_b_nice said:

Thanks for any input.

Edit:

Audition v1.5 is still my main audio editor on Win, Ocenaudio on Mac.
    Nothing comes close on iOS.
    Depending on what you need (fine cut/copy/paste, fades and x-fades, automation, processing, mixdown...?)
    I'd probably try Audio Evolution first. Takes some time getting used to but it does its job when editing multiple audio tracks is what you want. Auria is another option.

• @Samu said:

@espiegel123 said:

Switch the ruler to 'time mode'(instead of bars and beats') and that snap-grid is 'history' when you double-tap on the audio-event to do the edits...

I know it's an insane work-around but it works...
    Snap on the 'time-line' even when it's 'off' is there because of Cubasis's low PPQN.

Even with that workaround it doesn't seem possible to perform sample-accurate editing in Cubasis, there's still a mysterious grid that prevents you from getting really fine audio resolution. Trimming the exact start of a transient is not possible in my testing.

• @skiphunt said:

@nic_b_nice said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks y’all for your time and input I reall do appreciate it.

• @richardyot said:

Even with that workaround it doesn't seem possible to perform sample-accurate editing in Cubasis, there's still a mysterious grid that prevents you from getting really fine audio resolution. Trimming the exact start of a transient is not possible in my testing.

I've not had any issues with accurate editing audio in the 'audio editor' when ruler is set to time...

• @richardyot But there's way too many other WTF's with the Cubasis Audio Editor that are driving me nuts...

For example if you define a region on the time line and do some 'pre-trimming' those changes are NOT reflected anywhere when going to the audio editor, it's like WOOOT? (Conclusion, the developers don't even use their own software enough to bump into simple issues like this).

• @Samu said:

@richardyot said:

I've not had any issues with accurate editing audio in the 'audio editor' when ruler is set to time...

OK, thanks - all I know is that when I last tried doing this about 3 months ago it didn't seem possible, even with the grid set to off and the ruler set to time. In fact I'm sure we talked about it at the time.

• @richardyot said:

@Samu said:

@richardyot said:

OK, thanks - all I know is that when I last tried doing this about 3 months ago it didn't seem possible, even with the grid set to off and the ruler set to time. In fact I'm sure we talked about it at the time.

Thanks for the tip @Samu. As far as I can tell, it only works in that audio editor that appears below the timeline and only allows edits inside an event. It seems like you can't split events down there. And can't nudge them. If you trim in that window it changes were the sound occurs in time.

Is there a way to at least make a selection down there and silence it?

Unless I am missing something, it still wouldn't work for most of the fine edits I do...but maybe I am overlooking something.

• +1 for Ferrite. I use it to edit podcasts, and I love it. If you have an Apple pencil, try that too. Ferrite is amazing with the Pencil.