Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reference track in daw while mixing/mastering?

2»

Comments

• School for faking it on the internet. :D

People mess up their hearing permanently with those things, it's simply not good advice and would get you fired from any reputable school.

Now you gotta try and ruin Ultramagnetic for me too...

• edited April 2019

@BroCoast you got issues

• edited July 2019

Anyone stumbling on this, I just realised by accident that you can load a track into AudioEffX. Stick it on the end of the master channel and there’s your reference track. This can see Apple Music too so happy days!

• @gregsmith said:
    Anyone stumbling on this, I just realised by accident that you can load a track into AudioEffX. Stick it on the end of the master channel and there’s your reference track. This can see Apple Music too so happy days!

Just got round to trying this properly and looks like you can only load a track in when using the app standalone, not when it’s loaded in an effects slot I don’t think 🤔

• @Rodolfo said:
    I use Auria Pro for mixing and mastering and always use reference tracks for both situations.
    In order to not affect the reference track I don’t load my mastering plugins in the Master Bus but in one of the eight available SUBs, leaving the Master empty. So I send my mix to the “mastering” SUB and the reference track to the “reference” SUB. This way I can solo each SUB to compare my mix with the reference.

Hope this helps,

I really like you method @Rodolfo. I am trying to recreate it. How do I send my other SUB to the mastering” SUB ?

This is my regular setup:

SUB1 Drums
    SUB2 Bass
    SUB3 Guitars
    SUB4 Hammond/synth
    SUB5 Main vocals
    SUB6 Backing vocal
    SUB7 Master
    SUB8 Référence

• Would this work?

Start with AUM

• Load your reference track into a channel via FILE PLAYER
    • Load additional instruments or controllers
    • Configure your controllers to record MIDI to something like PHOTON or ATOM
    • Hit PLAY or RECORD
    • Your reference track starts playing
    • Jam along with it

For smaller-scale approach, try AUDITOR?

• edited May 2020

@inakarmacoma said:
    Would this work?

Start with AUM

• Load your reference track into a channel via FILE PLAYER
    • Load additional instruments or controllers
    • Configure your controllers to record MIDI to something like PHOTON or ATOM
    • Hit PLAY or RECORD
    • Your reference track starts playing
    • Jam along with it

For smaller-scale approach, try AUDITOR?

We are talking about mixing and mastering.

I don’t own a AUM. I know shocking 😱😱🤫🤫

• I don’t own a AUM. I know shocking 😱😱🤫🤫

Ah, to be honest... I pick up my iPad and I open AUM. That's the first step. You really should get AUM and AudioShare.

It's pretty trivial to do in Cubasis but file management there is kind of a mess.

• @inakarmacoma said:

Ah, to be honest... I pick up my iPad and I open AUM. That's the first step. You really should get AUM and AudioShare.

It's pretty trivial to do in Cubasis but file management there is kind of a mess. If the videos looks crazy to you, and you'd like a quick tutorial, we could figure out a screenshare type solution. It's so easy, though. Wonderful app.

• @inakarmacoma said:

It's pretty trivial to do in Cubasis but file management there is kind of a mess.

I do have AudioShare and audiobus. I hardly ever use audiobus, just for some quick test.

I like the traditional way of working. Open a DAW and do your stuff.

Cubasis for sequencing

Auria for mixing mastering.

• edited May 2020

@ecou said:

@Rodolfo said:
    I use Auria Pro for mixing and mastering and always use reference tracks for both situations.
    In order to not affect the reference track I don’t load my mastering plugins in the Master Bus but in one of the eight available SUBs, leaving the Master empty. So I send my mix to the “mastering” SUB and the reference track to the “reference” SUB. This way I can solo each SUB to compare my mix with the reference.

Hope this helps,

I really like you method @Rodolfo. I am trying to recreate it. How do I send my other SUB to the mastering” SUB ?

SUB1 Drums
    SUB2 Bass
    SUB3 Guitars
    SUB4 Hammond/synth
    SUB5 Main vocals
    SUB6 Backing vocal
    SUB7 Master
    SUB8 Référence

In that case you can’t use the SUBs in Auria Pro, you’ll need to create custom “SUBs” with regular tracks.
    I quickly made an example setup to show you one possible workaround.
    -I created 3 custom “SUB” with Bus1, Bus2 and Bus3 as inputs. All custom “SUBs” have Bus8 as output.
    -I created a custom “SUB MST” for loading mastering plugins and set the input to Bus8, so all previous “SUBs” will go through this track.
    -I created a REF sub for loading the reference track.
    -I’m not showing all the regular tracks you normally have in your mix, I just created other 3 tracks, but those tracks must be set either to Bus1, 2 or 3 as outputs, in order to be sent to one of the possible “SUBs”

When comparing your mix with your reference track, just Mute the “SUB MST” and you’ll only hear the reference track.
    Now, Solo the “SUB MST” and this will automatically solo all previous SUBs and precedent tracks, so you’ll only hear your mix.
    This way, with just one tap (the Solo button on the “SUB MST” Track) you can compare your mix to the reference track.
    Hope this helps.

• edited May 2020

@Rodolfo said:

@ecou said:

@Rodolfo said:

Hope this helps,

SUB1 Drums
    SUB2 Bass
    SUB3 Guitars
    SUB4 Hammond/synth
    SUB5 Main vocals
    SUB6 Backing vocal
    SUB7 Master
    SUB8 Référence

In that case you can’t use the SUBs in Auria Pro, you’ll need to create custom “SUBs” with regular tracks.
    I quickly made an example setup to show you one possible workaround.
    -I created 3 custom “SUB” with Bus1, Bus2 and Bus3 as inputs. All custom “SUBs” have Bus8 as output.
    -I created a custom “SUB MST” for loading mastering plugins and set the input to Bus8, so all previous “SUBs” will go through this track.
    -I created a REF sub for loading the reference track.
    -I’m not showing all the regular tracks you normally have in your mix, I just created other 3 tracks, but those tracks must be set either to Bus1, 2 or 3 as outputs, in order to be sent to one of the possible “SUBs”

When comparing your mix with your reference track, just Mute the “SUB MST” and you’ll only hear the reference track.
    Now, Solo the “SUB MST” and this will automatically solo all previous SUBs and precedent tracks, so you’ll only hear your mix.
    This way, with just one tap (the Solo button on the “SUB MST” Track) you can compare your mix to the reference track.
    Hope this helps.

My final suggestion would be that you don’t mix and master in the same session, these are two different tasks that requiere a very different mindset and you need all your DAW resources available for each task.
    In your case, you just need to mute REF Sub to listen to your mix only (all other Subs). When you Solo the REF (with Mute already engaged) you’ll only hear the reference track.
    Once you finish your mix, do a mixdown and in a new session import your mix in one track, a reference track in other track and now you have all the resources available in Auria Pro for your mastering session.

• @Rodolfo Thank you very much. This is super helpful.

I use Grand Finale for the Mastering . For my skill level it does way better than I could.

I bought The step by step mixing book and I am trying to improve.

• edited May 2020

Anyway to remove the SUB I am not using?

If my track are panned do I need my new track « sub » to be stereo?

• edited May 2020

@ecou said:

Unfortunately not, the 8 SUBs are fixed and the dev has said he’s not planning to remove them in the short term as they are coded in the base design.

It doesn’t matter, as you are not using audio clips on it (it’s just an auxiliary track ) Auria Pro will use a stereo audio track anyway.

• @Rodolfo said:

@ecou said:

Unfortunately not, the 8 SUBs are fixed and the dev has said he’s not planning to remove them in the short term as they are coded in the base design.

It doesn’t matter, as you are not using audio clips on it (it’s just an auxiliary track ) Auria Pro will use a stereo audio track anyway.

I found that it does matter for 2 reasons. (Or maybe I’m doing it wrong)

1 - With a mono sub track any panned track send to it would not sound panned.

2 - The Aux would not send any sound to the Auv3.

• I master in Beatmaker 3 but this will work for any iOS DAW with a sampler, 3rd party or stock.. I take my reference song, load it into a pad, then i drop the gain/ normalize it to -6 db... then i chop the reference into sections, intro, verse, hook/chorus, etc. and place those sections on different pads in loop mode, synced with my track so i can use them like locators to jump to any section...I then mute group those pads and route their output to an aux bus, with my track running stereo to another aux bus with processing...i then add all my metering to the master track (or create a master aux track and route both the reference and track to be mastered aux outputs to it, then route it to the master) so when i press a reference section pad it jumps directly to that looped section and i can jump right back to my track the same way because the pads are in mute groups, allowing me to check my master against the reference with a better, faster workflow than on a PC (Slate in Nanostudio, MiniSampler in Cubasis, Lyra in Aria Pro, SampleLayer/Chameleon/Any Sampler in AUM and AudioBus, and of course BeatMaker 3 standalone or inside either of the afore mentioned apps. Cheers!

• @BandzTFM said:
    I master in Beatmaker 3 but this will work for any iOS DAW with a sampler, 3rd party or stock.. I take my reference song, load it into a pad, then i drop the gain/ normalize it to -6 db... then i chop the reference into sections, intro, verse, hook/chorus, etc. and place those sections on different pads in loop mode, synced with my track so i can use them like locators to jump to any section...I then mute group those pads and route their output to an aux bus, with my track running stereo to another aux bus with processing...i then add all my metering to the master track (or create a master aux track and route both the reference and track to be mastered aux outputs to it, then route it to the master) so when i press a reference section pad it jumps directly to that looped section and i can jump right back to my track the same way because the pads are in mute groups, allowing me to check my master against the reference with a better, faster workflow than on a PC (Slate in Nanostudio, MiniSampler in Cubasis, Lyra in Aria Pro, SampleLayer/Chameleon/Any Sampler in AUM and AudioBus, and of course BeatMaker 3 standalone or inside either of the afore mentioned apps. Cheers!

You sound like a good BM3 teacher. Thanks!