Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A hat tip to ImageLine / FruityLoops / FL Studio

I am a long term FL Studio user (dating back to when it was Fruity Loops) appreciating the free lifetime updates and wanted to say that their customer service is outstanding.

I have twice requested some assistance years apart after losing my registration details (having moved devices, continents, etc) and they have sorted me out within a day.

They won’t let me thank them directly (it unnecessarily opens support tickets that they then need to close) so I’m going to do it here.

FL sometimes gets some stick for not being “pro” (whatever that is) but I like it and credit where it’s due.

Now back to playing with my spangly new laptop and giving VCV Rack a proper rattle ...

Comments

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

Yep. Love FL Studio!
    FLSM ... not so much. But that’s OK. Love ‘em anyway!

• Give me Edison and everything will be copacetic man...

• @kobamoto said:
    Give me Edison and everything will be copacetic man...

Amen bro!
    And Slicex ftw.

• Yep, hooked up my Maschine Jam to FL and it seems to work great in Performance Mode. Just hope the put a little more effort in further developing PM.

Love Fl Studio

• @RajahP said:
    Yep, hooked up my Maschine Jam to FL and it seems to work great in Performance Mode. Just hope the put a little more effort in further developing PM.

Love Fl Studio

IL Remote is totally overlooked by most people. It’s a great controller for FL Studio over the air from iOS. It works great with performance mode.

ILRemote by Image Line Software https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ilremote/id777925272?mt=8

• This probably why I’ll never quit desktop. I love both of these.

• Sytrus and Harmor are two of the best synths available for any platform, software or hardware. And the modulation options in FL Studio would be welcome in any of the other desktop DAWs (as would the piano roll), yet the music-tech snobs still keep on hating.

Their loss, I suppose. :)

I'm an Ableton man, but that doesn't stop me from admiring FL Studio's strengths.

• I know it's an unfashionable view, but I do think the mobile version is pretty capable, too.

• only use it with samples, since version 2.... they need to get Edison in there stat, and if not there's gonna be a problem.... a real fashionable problem!

• FL studio has been the only DAW I've used for years, it's the bee's knees. Fully featured and certainly capable for 'serious' work.

As for FLSM, whilst it too is feature laden and it gets a lot of updates / improvements (for me) things such as still not having a time elapsed indicator in the play list area is a mysterious omission. This is a basic thing and it's still not implemented - are we supposed to guess how long a track might be ?
    I feel it will get there eventually, but it's taking quite a while.

• FLSM irritates me for still having things missing from Version 2 such as

Midi out
    Archive project to zip (including all custom instruments)
    Create custom instruments and drum kits by simply importing a zip file (would work well with SynthJacker)
    Audiobus transport controls etc.

• me thinks it's by design, have said it before if anybody knows better it's imageline

• @kobamoto said:
    me thinks it's by design, have said it before if anybody knows better it's imageline

Curious as to what in particular you are referring to regarding their 'design' ?

Yes, they certainly know what they are doing, but they seem to listen to users too (when they make constructive / useful suggestions) and they have changed things as a result of user feedback, when they have made decisions that haven't proven to be 'the best'.

• damn fruity loops has always been a none musicians DAW I hate it terrible workflow and its ugly to look at I cant see why people like it but glad someone can use that

• I've used FL Studio since version 3. As @jonmoore said, Sytrus and Harmor are two of the best synths on any platform. NewTone is one of the best pitch adjustment tools I've worked with. You couldn't ask for a better audio editor than Edison. Maximus is one of the most insane dynamics tools I've used.

The workflow is quirky but easy enough to grasp. Sure, FL's GUI isn't as slick as other DAWs' GUIs, but the "prettiness" of a GUI doesn't matter at all so long as I can clearly see what I'm doing. I am glad they eliminated the lego blocks though. That was a major eyesore. :lol:

FLSM 3 is extremely capable of massive tracks, but it's a pain to use. It currently lacks any decent file management (i.e. Files app support), and when I try to build a track in it, it eventually starts to spitter and sputter (i.e. too many buffer underruns). I am using an iPad Pro 11", and maybe the sample rate is what's causing my issues? Or maybe it's the app itself (as this wouldn't be the first time I've had this issue in FLSM 3). Can't really tell. I also tend to avoid apps that don't use real sidechain compression. (I use it to subtly duck background instruments to a vocal so as to make space for said vocal.)

• edited April 2019

@wim said:

@RajahP said:
    Yep, hooked up my Maschine Jam to FL and it seems to work great in Performance Mode. Just hope the put a little more effort in further developing PM.

Love Fl Studio

IL Remote is totally overlooked by most people. It’s a great controller for FL Studio over the air from iOS. It works great with performance mode.

ILRemote by Image Line Software https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ilremote/id777925272?mt=8

Yep, I was just using it a few days ago.. did a template that extended the PM page to about 12 scenes instead of 8.. Lots of potential, you can even get the name of clips on the iPad.. All I am missing to make FL PM perfect is ‘snap-shots’..

Edit.. Ableton Link would be great..

• @RajahP said:
    Edit.. Ableton Link would be great..

Yeh, it sure would be. But I wouldn’t hold my breath. That would require being able to slave to external sync - something they’ve always been reluctant to do.

• edited April 2019

@wim said:

@kobamoto said:
    Give me Edison and everything will be copacetic man...

Amen bro!
    And Slicex ftw.

Edison and Slicex. Yesssss!!
    And, not to forget, Harmor AUv3 ;)

• Support as in "they ban people from their forum when reporting bugs and design flaws"? That's not support in my books ...

• @Igneous1 said:

@kobamoto said:
    me thinks it's by design, have said it before if anybody knows better it's imageline

Curious as to what in particular you are referring to regarding their 'design' ?

Yes, they certainly know what they are doing, but they seem to listen to users too (when they make constructive / useful suggestions) and they have changed things as a result of user feedback, when they have made decisions that haven't proven to be 'the best'.

by design I mean imho they intended to omit certain 'very useful and constructive' features from the app. Features that have been proven very constructive and useful already in fl studio

• FL Studio is my 2nd favorite DAW after Reason. FLSM is the worst app I've paid for (ie not free) out of 30 or so.

• edited April 2019

FLSM is my favorite DAW on iOS hands down

• Apple’s App Store search clearly sucks but when you do a search for ‘FLSM’ i got two hits. one app at £900 ‘so that you don’t buy it’ and the other some cat clinic thing

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/flsm/id432850144?mt=8

I bought the cat clinic app and can’t work out how to make any kind of loop with it; fruity or otherwise.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

The actual name of the app is FL Studio Mobile B)

• What I want to know is how the £900 FLSM is ranked at 190 in music.

Image line’s policy of making the price ‘crazy’ so you don’t buy their app is crazy.

• FLSM is the app which originally was the iphone only version, it’s still in the store so people who had that are still getting updates. They want to consolidate their sales on the other app to improve their chart position.