Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumJam "waiting to start" with Ableton Link

I'm having a really hard time getting DrumJam to start when I am using Link.

If I put DrumJam in an AUM session, if I start it first, I can get it going. But if I add it to an ongoing session, it remains stuck with a "waiting to start" message. I've tried all the sync/start settings.

I'm just confused. How do I fix this?

Comments

• @johnfromberkeley said:

If I put DrumJam in an AUM session, if I start it first, I can get it going. But if I add it to an ongoing session, it remains stuck with a "waiting to start" message. I've tried all the sync/start settings.

Turn off link in Drum Jam. You don’t need it. IAA Sync will take care of sync and start/stop if it’s loaded in AUM.

• @wim said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Turn off link in Drum Jam. You don’t need it. IAA Sync will take care of sync and start/stop if it’s loaded in AUM.

And a pending update of AUM (waiting with bait breath) will add Link Start/Stop too which I need for the LumBeats App Suite.

• @McD said:

@wim said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

And a pending update of AUM (waiting with bait breath) will add Link Start/Stop too which I need for the LumBeats App Suite.

If you have Audiobus 3. You can use its palette's start button to start AUM and the LUMbeat apps together.

• @espiegel123 said:

@McD said:

@wim said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

If you have Audiobus 3. You can use its palette's start button to start AUM and the LUMbeat apps together.

Excellent point. I've taken the time to set that up a few times but I'm still AUM centric and welcome this update for the new features that fit my top 5 workflow issues. I have long felt that I could focus time and energy into AB3 and be happy there by using Loopy HD to record. Maybe I'll declare AB3 Month and test that theory with all my sessions. I could make a similar statement with ApeMatrix and drill into AU Parameter automations to craft new Multi-FX environments.

How cool is it to have all these options? In the short term I have 2 collaborations queued up in Cubasis
    and the ball is in my court to return volley.

• @McD : if you save your AB3 configuration with AUM in it, it will launch and load AUM when you open it. You only need to set it up once.

• oh man I was hoping there was some info in here about the sample import feature that is on the way....

• @espiegel123 said:
    @McD : if you save your AB3 configuration with AUM in it, it will launch and load AUM when you open it. You only need to set it up once.

Good to know. Are there other tips for deciding where to place the Apps and MIDI FX. For example, a set up for the "iPad Band":

iBassist (IAA) (bassist and styles/songlist)
    Reggae Drummer (IAA) (drummer)
    Afro-Cuban Drummer (IAA) (percussionist)
    Galileo 2 (AU) (organist)
    iLectric for iPad (IAA) (Rhodes/Whirly/Clav)
    BeatHawk (AU) (Rhythm Guitar)
    AudioLayer (AU) (Sololist/Leads of various types)
    Atom Piano Roll (AU MIDI FX)
    Enso Looper (AU FX)

If any gotchas occur to anyone, slip us a clue.

I'll start by loading everything in AB3 with audio outputs routed into AUM and decide which I'd rather have
    handy in AUM because I like it's Mixer and busses to record and add FX (probably AL, Atom and Enso).

I'll save AUM and save AB3 and shut all down and re-load AB3 and see what isn't re-covered.

• Wow, everyone, once again AB forums are best on the web.

• I still can’t get this working. No matter what I do, I can’t get Drumjam started.

I still can’t get this working. No matter what I do, I can’t get Drumjam started.

Did you turn on Inter-app sync in DrumJam's options menu (in the settings panel)? Turn it on and you don't even need Ableton link. I just tested it with AUM and it works like a charm.

• @espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    I still can’t get this working. No matter what I do, I can’t get Drumjam started.

Did you turn on Inter-app sync in DrumJam's options menu (in the settings panel)? Turn it on and you don't even need Ableton link. I just tested it with AUM and it works like a charm.

Yep, and ableton link off. I’ve tried every permutation…can’t get it working.

@espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Yep, and ableton link off. I’ve tried every permutation…can’t get it working.

What OS?

• edited July 2021

@johnfromberkeley said:

I think that's normal behavior. Drumjam won't start until you stop and start AUM transport again.

For what you want (drop it into a running session), LINK can be the way to go if you disable IAA sync.

Maybe, I am misunderstanding what you want to happen.

If you create an AUM session with just DrumJam in it and you turn on Inter-App sync in DJ's settings, does Dj start playing when you start the AUM transport?

• @espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

Maybe, I am misunderstanding what you want to happen.

If you create an AUM session with just DrumJam in it and you turn on Inter-App sync in DJ's settings, does Dj start playing when you start the AUM transport?

I have a session already set up. I add drumjam, and there is no way to get it to play when I press the play button, it is always waiting.

I can get it to work when I start a new session and add drumjam first. But when I add to existing sessions, it never works..

• @rs2000 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

I think that's normal behavior. Drumjam won't start until you stop and start AUM transport again.

For what you want (drop it into a running session), LINK can be the way to go if you disable IAA sync.

When I drop it into an existing session, I can never get it to play, and any permutation, including starting and stopping transport.

@rs2000 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

When I drop it into an existing session, I can never get it to play, and any permutation, including starting and stopping transport.

When you say 'drop it into an existing session', do you mean add DrumJam to an AUM session while its transport is running?

Do you have a problem if you add DrumJam when the transport isn't running?

• @espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@rs2000 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

When you say 'drop it into an existing session', do you mean add DrumJam to an AUM session while its transport is running?

Do you have a problem if you add DrumJam when the transport isn't running?

I mean drop it in when the transport is ~not~ running.

• Perhaps this is OS related. But in case it's not. Let's start from basics and see where our results start to differ. Adding DrumJam to an existing session as long as the transport isnt running is working fine for me (iOS 13.6)

First, can you check to make sure you have the latest DJ version.

If you create a new session from scratch and add DrumJam, turn Ableton link off and Inter-App Sync on, does drumjam start playing when you start AUM's transport?