Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I've Got G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

No music in this one - just some thoughts and ruminations on the quest for that elusive piece of gear/app that will solve all our problems:

Comments

• Great video!!
    Thanks dave!

• Bro you look like Collin Farrel.

• edited April 2019

First world problems = First rate gear

LOL

I try and do gratitude lists in my life

I have a problem not giving thanks and appreciating things in my life that are good.

It is a personality defect of mine.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Bro you look like Collin Farrel.

That's awfully flattering. Keep talking like that, maybe buy me a nice bottle of wine and treat me right and you might get lucky!

:D

• @flo26 said:
    Great video!!
    Thanks dave!

Thanks, Flo - I'm never sure how well the "all talking" videos are going to be received. I don't want to come off as being too preachy but would rather be helpful!

• I see the point but I think ios apps are so modestly priced that we should just buy us some short term excitement and happiness 😅

• @fattigman said:
    I see the point but I think ios apps are so modestly priced that we should just buy us some short term excitement and happiness 😅

+1

• @fattigman said:
    I see the point but I think ios apps are so modestly priced that we should just buy us some short term excitement and happiness 😅

A fair point, but devil's advocate says multiple small purchases add up quickly. This is more of an issue for some than others!

• edited April 2019

@Daveypoo said:

@fattigman said:

A fair point, but devil's advocate says multiple small purchases add up quickly. This is more of an issue for some than others!

Even if the apps were all free, we’d still need to prioritize which ones we’d invest our time in as we wouldn’t be able to learn or use all of them. Are you using the gear or is the gear using you?

While some could argue it’s a relatively benign addiction, I still believe it would be better to identify and address the underlying issues driving the addiction rather than just deciding you need to buy another app so you can feel better.

• edited April 2019

@InfoCheck said:
    While some could argue it’s a relatively benign addiction, I still believe it would be better to identify and address the underlying issues driving the addiction rather than just deciding you need to buy another app so you can feel better.

I absolutely agree - this is not a binary issue, and no one statement, ideal or stance will work for everyone. While some may do better with multiple small purchases, others may not. In the same way that some of us can drink alcohol, others cannot - not a judgement on either camp or anyone in between but an affirmation of this classic number:

• @InfoCheck said:

@Daveypoo said:

@fattigman said:

Even if the apps were all free, we’d still need to prioritize which ones we’d invest our time in as we wouldn’t be able to learn or use all of them. Are you using the gear or is the gear using you?

Absolutely!
    Time is the most valuable asset I have.
    I've had to learn how to plan ahead wisely in order to keep the happiness in life.
    Not only what to do, but also what not to do and where to set the limit sometimes.

@Daveypoo Dunno if it's related at all but I think that another driver for the lust in purchase is the challenge to complete the incomplete.
    iOS and its music apps are about as flawed, or should I say limited, as the PC/Mac ecosystem was maybe 15 years ago. Still a little bit of excitement to solve something yet unsolved. Most of us are men, and men often like to prove their ego by achieving the goal to have something fixed, or at least enhanced :D

• I agree!

• Hi Dave, my Wi-Fi is cycling at 2:53 and it caught you puckering up for a kiss. Emblematic. Most of us want to be kissed a lot. Getting a gift (even if it is from yourself) is like getting a kiss. Somebody out there loves you (in this case yourself). No kiss lasts more than a few minutes (although I remember kissing a girl for thirty five minutes, timed professionally, at an early teen party). And then we want more. Why not? I don’t think one can surgically excise such a narrow slice of all the wanting we want. God bless the Buddhists, but nature designed us to want more. Otherwise there would be no gear to acquire! Unless this addiction prevents someone from putting food on the table for his family it is rather quaint to return to that state of looking for the nipple to soothe us in this difficult world.

That being said, looking at my limited gear (Kawai MP11se, Mackie monitors, Steinberg AI and Roland hps plus a couple of screenfuls of apps) always give me pleasure. And I am pretty sure that is the same for you.

• I’m less and less in this app thing.
    I have much more pleasure with my guitar(acoustic or electric) at this time.
    I’m getting tired of all this.No more ideas,not inspired anymore.
    It will surely come back...
    I really don’t know what to do with all those apps for now.
    Wait and see.i’m not in a worry,that’s life😉😉.

• @flo26 said:
    I’m less and less in this app thing.
    I have much more pleasure with my guitar(acoustic or electric) at this time.
    I’m getting tired of all this.No more ideas,not inspired anymore.
    It will surely come back...
    I really don’t know what to do with all those apps for now.
    Wait and see.i’m not in a worry,that’s life😉😉.

I wax and wane as well with my various interests and musical sides, and inevitably always end up coming back around at some point. But whatever mood I'm in, I've always got the little voice in the back of my head looking for "the next thing"

• I have lots of apps and I enjoy exploring them, but I’m happiest when I pick up my ukulele and play and sing with it. Why? Because I’ve invested lots of time playing, taking it everywhere I go. It’s like my second girlfriend 😅. As some of you mentioned time is an important factor. I think you can pick any musical instrument and spend a lot time with and you’ll get amazing results. I’m still waiting for amazing results, I’m not there but in time I will.

• Man - if only I was as good on every instrument as the guys playing in my head....

• I always tell people when I buy something that it will solve all my problems, except for the ones that it itself creates or otherwise brings to light.

• @DMan said:
    I always tell people when I buy something that it will solve all my problems, except for the ones that it itself creates or otherwise brings to light.

That's an even better summary than my lengthy video!

• edited April 2019

Thanks a lot for your video and this thread @Daveypoo !
    Exactly on the day your video popped up here I was ready to buy a Moog Mother 32.
    I saw some inspiring videos and I was thinking the M32 would be a nice addition for my setup. Now I’m thinking it was just G.A.S. 😎 and I realized this would just the beginning to buy more modular stuff (an expensive thing) and will be there ever a happy end?

I’m happy you saved me for the next few days... 😎 😊👍

G.A.S. Is a strange thing!

• I'm envious that you can afford to be in the market for a Mother 32 - them things ain't cheap!

The purchase isn't a bad thing - just go into it with eyes open!

• I'm recovering from A.A.S the app version of G.A.S and need to keep track on my spendings.

Sure, It would be neat to have a Mother 32, Digitakt and a few other 'goodies' but...

• Yup - I've got a trip coming up that I need to pay for. Prioritizing is always the challenge,especially when "well, it's ONLY $10."

8 apps later, however...

• edited April 2019

@Daveypoo said:
    Yup - I've got a trip coming up that I need to pay for. Prioritizing is always the challenge,especially when "well, it's ONLY $10."

8 apps later, however...

Well, I fell down the rabbit hole today, iPulsaret, 4Pockets thing with Chaneleon, Shimmer and Atomiser, and Bandit coming tomorrow... before that StepBud, Bleass Reverh, 4pockets harmonic Exiter, Atom, Stark.

Still have $60 in Store Credits waiting for the remaining Gadgets but I guess there are other stuff coming before it drops...

But over all I'm not over $200 this year yet... and it's almost 4 months, compare that to ~$150 per month last year :D

• And that's exactly it - it REALLY adds up. It's like anything else: one app is no big deal but once you pick up this, then that $2 one, then the $12 one hit REALLY wanted drops, etc.

• @Daveypoo said:
    And that's exactly it - it REALLY adds up. It's like anything else: one app is no big deal but once you pick up this, then that $2 one, then the $12 one hit REALLY wanted drops, etc.

But as you pointed out in the video it's the anticipation of a new app that is part of the fun. Sure I've bumped into a few 'lemons' that I hardly ever use more than once but hey, it's better than buying substances that can damage once health.

And the irony here is that once I start to really dig into the apps I already have I ask myself the question 'why did I get the other app when I already had one that did that?'.

GarageBand is starting to grow on me again. I was looking for an AUv3 that was somewhat similar to the Boss VT-1 (vocal transformer) and there it was, a plug-in built-in into GarageBand that does this bit NO AUv3 to be found anywhere that does the same thing...

But hey, that's life in the iOS world, and yes I will get the new Gadgets when they drop :)
    And I really need to go on the 'app cleaning spree' and delete the apps & effects I don't use...
    ...but it's really hard with the 'it's good to have it just in case...'

I've bought some hardware during the years too and one of the few I really 'bond' with is the Volca Bass, I can't get enough of it especially combined with some nice effects on the iPad. It's perfect 'sampler fodder'.

I'm afraid to touch the Roland SH-01a with the 25 key keyboard as I could most likely not resist getting it, same with the Arturia MicroBrute and the new Volca Drum thing. But do I really need them or is it the 'thought' of owning them that is playing tricks on my mind?(I can already create similar sounding sounds with the apps I have).

Same with the 'lust' of the Digitakt, at the core it's nothing more than an 'Advanced Tracker' with knobs and what can be done with the Digitakt can be done with SunVox but it takes a bit more work.

Oh well, there's more problems in the world around us than G.A.S. or A.A.S...

• @Daveypoo

It’s all about talking yourself out of it...outsmarting yourself by heading your thoughts off at the pass and gazumping your new purchase....I avoided buying a Moog Dfam by mapping Ruismaker Nior to my Novation Launch Control....via Aum...I got a great feeling from that...a win win...!

That said I am still in rehab😂

• I think doing a Bass Gear Video followed by a GAS Control Video is
    Maso Sadochism (M and S). Better than doing the reverse, I guess.

(Untie me. Sales are happening.)

• @McD said:
    I think doing a Bass Gear Video followed by a GAS Control Video is
    Maso Sadochism (M and S).

Probably - didn't really think of it as a gear video in that I was showing off a lot of stuff, more showing how to get the most out of what you've got.

Heh - all the more reason to watch these out of sequence, I suppose 😁

• @Daveypoo said:
    Probably - didn't really think of it as a gear video in that I was showing off a lot of stuff, more showing how to get the most out of what you've got.

@Lady_App_titude and I were coveting some of your gear:
    the E-to-C string pitch dropper, the Bass foam mute, the Humbucker pickup, the extra pickup and extra switching and both Fender Basses in general.

My $200 Cort Bass could use some hacking. But I'll just move on with my App experiments.