Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I wrote a long article about using the OP-1 with the iPad

My original title was better, but you can’t have everything.

How to make music with an iPad and a ‘classic’ Swedish synth

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

You forgot to mention how ridiculously overpriced Op1 is, how cheaply it’s built and how non-existent Teenage Engineering support is ;)

That doesn’t have anything to do with the subject of my article.

Op-1 at £1200 is a terrible purchase in 2019. It was always overpriced but there’s sooo much else out there now...

>
    You might check in on the OP forums. Almost very single thread there ends up with people whining about the price/service. It makes it impossible for people to actually talk about using the gear.

• Ha! It’s a how-to post!

Maybe every how-to video on youtube should mention the working conditions of the people in the Chinese factories that make the gear?

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • responsible writing would have balanced that with mentioning the other side of the coin too.

This is the kind of thinking that gives flat-earthers, anti-vaxers and nazis airtime.

I wonder if you’d speak to somebody in person like this, or if it’s just reserved for internet forums?

• edited April 2019
  • @mistercharlie said:

Nice article!
    And another example for the beauty of MIDI Clock sync between hardware devices.
    There's nothing like the OP-1 on iOS yet but there are many other interesting options that offer similar features with similar ease of use, more and more to come.

• @mistercharlie
    I like your article! Your point is how well OP-1 and iPad can work together in different directions when you own both devices. There are some ideas in your how-to I need to try out, so your suggestions are welcome! 😊

I don’t understand why this article must be also a criticisms about Teenage Engineering, prices and so on as @EyeOhEss mentioned. This is a completely different topic. So if you are unhappy with TE and their products why you did not write a own long article about it @EyeOhEss ?

Btw... overpriced...

Many people argue that the Apple Pen is way overpriced and there are many cheaper alternatives on the market. That’s maybe true but honestly I would not exchange my 100.-€ Pen for an 1,50€ Matches(Pen)... 😎

Peace! 🙏

• I read the article. It's a basic how-to, not a critical review. He explains the very basics on how to connect the OP-1 to the iPad, what apps to use, and gives basic examples. He even pointed out that the OP-1 is best used as the MIDI Clock Master, and not as a Slave (it drifts).

And oh, I paid a little over $600 for a brand new OP-1 about 7 years ago, but that's not the point.

Good write-up, thanks for sharing.

• True, it's getting harder to tell what's a paid review and what's not. But his article was a how-to, and not a review, so room for ads and referral links to buy the stuff he mentioned. Hosting a site like Cult of Mac probably costs at least $100,000 per month, and that's not including any other expenses. A lot higher than YouTubers doing 'reviews'. I get what you're saying, but it was a bit rude to attack him like that, so he came back with his guns drawn.

• @ocelot said:
    True, it's getting harder to tell what's a paid review and what's not. But his article was a how-to, and not a review, so room for ads and referral links to buy the stuff he mentioned. Hosting a site like Cult of Mac probably costs at least $100,000 per month, and that's not including any other expenses. A lot higher than YouTubers doing 'reviews'. I get what you're saying, but it was a bit rude to attack him like that, so he came back with his guns drawn.

Yup.

• @mistercharlie Thanks for sharing man. I think for most of us here, it's maybe a bit basic? But I don't think we're the target audience. For someone who has no idea about any of this I can see how this would be super exciting, and I think that's where the value is. There's definitely a ton of people out there who have (maybe not a OP1 lol...) but an iPad and maybe would be interested in something like this. At worst, you already know all this, at best, it inspires someone to think about things in a way they haven't before

• Very nicely organized article. I have a nephew that loves the OP-1 and has recently taken
    on the Akai Force as his portable music controller. I think he still uses the OP-1 with the Akai
    for his shows. It may be delicate but it's powerful for live dance styles once you master it.

If there's anything that can do what the OP-1 can do in a similar price category or with
    justification for extra money please mention it.

The tip about the Wi-Fi to USB hub was new to me. Has anyone here used it?
    That led me to a 500GB/1TB SSD option from Samsung that could be used as file storage.

On my Apple devices I'm always pushing storage limits.

• Excellent article @mistercharlie !

I've been shopping for a wireless file hub too. Some are the reasons mentioned in the article: recording time limit on OP-1 and only one song at a time in OP-1 Tape. although one can set up a loop region for a Track within Tape, and loop that region as long as one wants. Another reason is Apple has made it next to impossible to move hundreds of images out of the Photos library on iPhone, so it's probably easier to just get one of those wireless file hubs and use the app to move those files off.

When the Photos app on iPhone is synced with iCloud, I run into the iCloud storage limit, and I'd rather spend the money on apps/IAPs instead of more iCloud storage.

Anyway, the candidates I've come up with so far for wireless file hub:

RAVPower FileHub
    SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive
    Kingston Mobilite Wireless (needs SD card, sold separately)
    Western Digital My Passport

The Western Digital is the most expensive option, but WD has its share of rabidly loyal fans. ;) I've seen RAVPower and Kingston mentioned before on the OP-1 forums. SanDisk I've never seen mentioned there, but I could have overlooked a post or two, and that company is a long-time player in the storage game.

• Hmmmm where did I put my checkbook? And my credit cart? And that birthday money from Aunt Edna? Still, thanks?

• @EyeOhEss said:

@mistercharlie said:

You forgot to mention how ridiculously overpriced Op1 is, how cheaply it’s built and how non-existent Teenage Engineering support is ;)

Op-1 at £1200 is a terrible purchase in 2019. It was always overpriced but there’s sooo much else out there now...

You were right about TE being the Apple of music hardware in some ways though. But that’s not a good thing for customers...

Seems a bit of a pot and kettle situation really when pretty much the same charges could be levelled at Apple and iphones/iPads...

As others have said in similar discussions as well, most people don’t “get” the attraction of the OP-1 until they actually own or use one on the regular, it is a piece of equipment which is more than merely the sum of its parts.

• edited April 2019
  • @GovernorSilver said:
    Excellent article @mistercharlie !

Thanks!

RAVPower FileHub

The Western Digital is the most expensive option, but WD has its share of rabidly loyal fans. ;) I've seen RAVPower and Kingston mentioned before on the OP-1 forums. SanDisk I've never seen mentioned there, but I could have overlooked a post or two, and that company is a long-time player in the storage game.

I did some research into all of those, and went for the RAV. It’s small, it works with the Files app if you use a third-party app like Stratospherix’s FileBrowser, and it’s relatively cheap. It also lets you connect to the internet while using it.

Hopefully iOS 13 will let us plug straight in with USB. Having to boot an extra device, then manually connect to its Wi-Fi, is ridiculous.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    I was just saying that the ‘how to’ read like it was laced with marketing for teenage engineering or like it was a punt to get free stuff from them in future.

Perhaps he just likes it?

A lot of People that have them and post videos or talk about them online seem to be very enthusiastic about them.

I don’t get the constant comparison with Apple though. To me they are very different. Lots of companies have a strong design ethic, and there are many companies like TE; small almost boutique vendors that make ‘designery’ products in relatively small numbers.

Apple are unique in the consumer electronics world in that they have a strong design language and use boutique style materials and attention to detail but they make their products in incomprehensibly enormous numbers.

The OP-1 and pocket operators are unlike Apple products in almost every regard.

I have a pocket operator and it can be a lot of fun. But it’s also stupidly fragile and impractical and some of its features are infuriatingly obtuse.

But unlike the op-1 it’s quite inexpensive so you tend to forgive its quirks as they give it character. And at least in the case of the PO-32, it can make really cool noises.

I’ve seen quite a few of the more popular videos of the OP-1 and still don’t get it. To my eyes and ears there is a disconnect between what I’m seeing and hearing from the Op-1 and what the presenter is saying about it.

But this kind of makes it more intriguing. I really don’t know if I’m missing something or whether I expect a lot more from it than those that gush about it.

But To me the OP-1 seems to sound just like it looks.

Which would be fine if it was as cheap as it looks ;-)

But I’m happy to accept that I am in fact missing something. And It seems to make people happy. I see no reason to pour cold water on that.

• edited April 2019
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@CRAKROX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@mistercharlie said:

You were right about TE being the Apple of music hardware in some ways though. But that’s not a good thing for customers...

Seems a bit of a pot and kettle situation really when pretty much the same charges could be levelled at Apple and iphones/iPads...

As others have said in similar discussions as well, most people don’t “get” the attraction of the OP-1 until they actually own or use one on the regular, it is a piece of equipment which is more than merely the sum of its parts.

I wasn’t saying Apple didn’t suck too ;) I was just saying that the ‘how to’ read like it was laced with marketing for teenage engineering or like it was a punt to get free stuff from them in future.

Yeah Op1 is more than sum of its parts and a unique tool. I used to say those things when defending it. It was a cool approx £700 instrument. But it’s not a cool £1200 instrument in 2019...At that price it’s just a dated spec and poorly built rip off. There are many, many, many instruments and apps that are unique and ‘more than the sum of their parts’. That doesn’t make them 40% more valuable overnight ;) Especially in a landscape where everywhere else there’s new stuff appearing with unique features of their own, current spec, better build quality and better customer support.

I don’t understand why the price bothers you so much ? Unless someone had saved £X to buy one then saw the price bump it really has no effect on anyone. At the end of the day the market will dictate if It can support the new price point.

Also I don’t understand how your view of

“It was a cool approx £700 instrument. But it’s not a cool £1200 instrument”

The price hasn’t altered the machine itself, simply your feelings have changed, it comes over as sour grapes.

The OP-1 like it or not has gained its own special reputation deserved or not which in turn has increased the desire in certain people to own one, it’s similar to the SP1200, I bought one for £600 a few years ago and the same machine now would be £3-4000. This is a drum machine/sampler with only 10 seconds on sampling time and a limited sequencer, however like the OP-1 it now has its own mythology which drives the market and the price.

• @CRAKROX said:
    it now has its own mythology which drives the market and the price.

Perception carries an immeasurable amount of weight. It's why word of mouth is so powerful. It's an innate, human nature thing. When you meet someone for the first time, you immediately draw a conclusion, positive or negative. And you could be way off base. But it doesn't change the fact that it's just part of how we act inherently, and "value" of tangible goods is no different..

• Great article @mistercharlie !

@mistercharlie said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Excellent article @mistercharlie !

Thanks!

RAVPower FileHub

I did some research into all of those, and went for the RAV. It’s small, it works with the Files app if you use a third-party app like Stratospherix’s FileBrowser, and it’s relatively cheap. It also lets you connect to the internet while using it.

Hopefully iOS 13 will let us plug straight in with USB. Having to boot an extra device, then manually connect to its Wi-Fi, is ridiculous.

Ah, good points about the size, and working with the Files app.

BTW, I got more of an informational, how-to kind of vibe than a marketing one from your article. The folks on the iPad Musician forum seem to appreciate it a lot.

• edited April 2019

@GovernorSilver said:

BTW, I got more of an informational, how-to kind of vibe than a marketing one from your article. The folks on the iPad Musician forum seem to appreciate it a lot.

Thanks!

Edit: what’s the iPad Musician forum?

• @mistercharlie said:

@GovernorSilver said:

Thanks!

Edit: what’s the iPad Musician forum?

Sorry I meant Facebook group, not forum. I don't participate on it much, because there's more stuff appearing in my feed there than I can address.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ipadmusician/

• @CRAKROX said:

damn you have a point there!

• edited April 2019