Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Synthjacker with Auria Pro or any SFZ capable DAW?

2»

Comments

• @coniferprod said:

@McD said:
    Thanks for the update. I've been cranking out quality AudioLayer instruments at a rapid rate from my AU Apps.

Nice! AudioLayer seems to be a little more accepting with file formats. Thanks for the review BTW, appreciated.

I think aiff-c is ok as aif (aif and wav are both formats that allow compressed or no compressed). Whatever format, just make sure the extension is correct (I.e. if a file is a .caf it needs that extension)

Maybe it should be suggested to the Analog Kit team for there to an option for wav and aif, too.

AudioLayer seems pretty forgiving and seems like (as long as samples are labeled correctly) it sometimes converts files into its preferred format on import.

• @coniferprod said:
    I've been looking at the SynthJacker output file formats, time permitting, and here's something interesting: it seems to be pretty difficult to get Apple's AVAssetExport APIs (which AudioKit also relies on) to produce uncompressed AIFF files. Actually SynthJacker has always produced AIFC files, and I tested importing to Lyra very early on, with no problems. I still have the original files from that session, and they're indeed AIFC. They were exported straight with Apple APIs, the file format was set to AIFF, and the output was 32-bit Linear PCM, but compressed (the afinfo utility on macOS shows them as AIFC).

For v0.4.0 I switched to using AudioKit for post-processing. That resulted in accidentally outputting CAF files instead of AIFF. Sorry about that, my bad! I think I have now found a way to produce real actual AIFF files using AudioKit, but they are still compressed (unless I find a way to force uncompression).

I suppose the problem with Lyra was just that the files were not really AIFF but accidentally CAF, and it should actually read AIFF and AIFC files just fine. According to afconvert -h it is OK to name AIFC files with the .aif or .aiff extension. Unless my reasoning is wrong, I will restore AIFF output in the next update.

Next stop, supporting WAVE files as the output format...

That’s really good news!
    Now it makes sense, AudioShare was right identifying the files as CAF, so although I renamed them as .aifc (which Lyra seems to support) it didn’t work.

• @Rodolfo said:

@coniferprod said:
    I've been looking at the SynthJacker output file formats, time permitting, and here's something interesting: it seems to be pretty difficult to get Apple's AVAssetExport APIs (which AudioKit also relies on) to produce uncompressed AIFF files. Actually SynthJacker has always produced AIFC files, and I tested importing to Lyra very early on, with no problems. I still have the original files from that session, and they're indeed AIFC. They were exported straight with Apple APIs, the file format was set to AIFF, and the output was 32-bit Linear PCM, but compressed (the afinfo utility on macOS shows them as AIFC).

For v0.4.0 I switched to using AudioKit for post-processing. That resulted in accidentally outputting CAF files instead of AIFF. Sorry about that, my bad! I think I have now found a way to produce real actual AIFF files using AudioKit, but they are still compressed (unless I find a way to force uncompression).

I suppose the problem with Lyra was just that the files were not really AIFF but accidentally CAF, and it should actually read AIFF and AIFC files just fine. According to afconvert -h it is OK to name AIFC files with the .aif or .aiff extension. Unless my reasoning is wrong, I will restore AIFF output in the next update.

That’s really good news!
    Now it makes sense, AudioShare was right identifying the files as CAF, so although I renamed them as .aifc (which Lyra seems to support) it didn’t work.

Rodolfo, I think you can use aif as extension even for aifc.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Maybe it should be suggested to the Analog Kit team for there to an option for wav and aif, too.

AudioKit does have WAVE, AIFF and CAF output. Some operations default to CAF, and it was my error since I did not properly enforce AIFF output.

• edited April 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Rodolfo said:

@coniferprod said:

That’s really good news!

Rodolfo, I think you can use aif as extension even for aifc.

That’s correct, the issue was that the files were actually caf so Lyra was not able to recognize them no matter I renamed them to aif or aifc.

• @Rodolfo said:
    That’s correct, the issue was that the files were actually caf so Lyra was not able to recognize them no matter I renamed them to aif or aifc.

Do you have any thoughts when the 32-bit Compressed CAF format would be beneficial versus 24-bit AIF Compressed? (If I have the choices wrong slip me a clue about the distinctions here).

It would be interesting to know which Apps support the most formats. Wave has the benefit of being used
    extensively in the Windows Desktop and VST world for data portability. Apple never fails to define valid but platform limiting solutions.

Do many Desktop DAW's that run on Windows or Android just deal with it and accept AIF, CAF and other Apple driven formats? I exported a wonderful Apple MainStage instrument in EXS format and found the file we're label with a .caf extension and would not load in AudioLayer. It's possible I could change the extensions on the samples and get AudioLayer to load them if I can change the file naming in the EXS metadata file. That might be worth the effort after I run out of AU's to clone. So, this is a "happy accident"
    for me.

• @McD said:

@Rodolfo said:

Do you have any thoughts when the 32-bit Compressed CAF format would be beneficial versus 24-bit AIF Compressed? (If I have the choices wrong slip me a clue about the distinctions here).

It would be interesting to know which Apps support the most formats. Wave has the benefit of being used
    extensively in the Windows Desktop and VST world for data portability. Apple never fails to define valid but platform limiting solutions.

Do many Desktop DAW's that run on Windows or Android just deal with it and accept AIF, CAF and other Apple driven formats? I exported a wonderful Apple MainStage instrument in EXS format and found the file we're label with a .caf extension and would not load in AudioLayer. It's possible I could change the extensions on the samples and get AudioLayer to load them if I can change the file naming in the EXS metadata file. That might be worth the effort after I run out of AU's to clone. So, this is a "happy accident"
    for me.

The CAF format is much more versatile than most other formats, but it’s Apple propietary and as far as I know it hasn’t been widely used yet, just for Logic and maybe some other DAW in OS X. The main advantage of CAF files is that they can be any size, not limited to 4GB as older formats, but i don’t think it would make any difference for a sampler instrument since you would never need such a big sample file for any instrument I can imagine.
    On the other hand, wav and aif files are pretty standard and compatible with probably any sampler out there.
    I don’t think you can transform a CAF file into an AIF file just by changing its extension, it’s a different container and it can hold almost any audio format in comparison with an AIF file, so at least for now, I think you should better avoid CAF files so you can use your samples in AudioLayer, Lyra or any other sampler in IOS.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

@Rodolfo said:

@McD said:

@Rodolfo said:

for me.

The CAF format is much more versatile than most other formats, but it’s Apple propietary and as far as I know it hasn’t been widely used yet, just for Logic and maybe some other DAW in OS X. The main advantage of CAF files is that they can be any size, not limited to 4GB as older formats, but i don’t think it would make any difference for a sampler instrument since you would never need such a big sample file for any instrument I can imagine.
    On the other hand, wav and aif files are pretty standard and compatible with probably any sampler out there.
    I don’t think you can transform a CAF file into an AIF file just by changing its extension, it’s a different container and it can hold almost any audio format in comparison with an AIF file, so at least for now, I think you should better avoid CAF files so you can use your samples in AudioLayer, Lyra or any other sampler in IOS.

Thanks for the detailed response. AudioLayer is importing the files the SynthJacker is currently producing and you suggested the developer use the *.caf extension. So, I might test the EXS instruments
    MainStage makes that have *.caf files and see if they import with *.aif name changes. AudioLayer
    can import files based on Naming Conventions or by looking for the Root note in the audio so testing
    might not require modifying the *.exs at all. I'll Just try to open a *.caf sample or 2 with the name changed.

EDIT: I can't find an instrument in MainStage or Logic that outputs EXS using *.caf files. I must have be confused with some Apple Loops or something. Arg.

• Wave is coming to SynthJacker. Great for making audio files from AU's.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

I received a request to share my settings and process to make AudioLayer instruments with SynthJacker.

SETTINGS:
    MIDI Note 60 is C4
    Sample Name Format: Patch-Velocity-Note
    Separator: Dash
    Three-digit velocity: Check
    Three-digit note : Check
    Folder Structure: Flat (this can be changed to By Velocity if you want to import by Layers or By Note if you want to use Zones, I think). I like Flat to get a complete map "football" field of the samples as imported into AudioLayer.
    Trim Silence: Both
    Noise Floor: -54.0 dB
    Normalize Samples: ON
    Normalization Level: -1.0 dB

App UI:
    Audio Unit (I use external using Loopback cables with a Presonus AudioBus for IAA Apps)
    Instrument: Mostly the Sample-based Apps like BS-16i, Colossus, RC 275, BeatHawk) but Synths too if they make sense for a 5 second snapshot.
    Name: Pick a Name that will help ID the instrument later.
    From Note: A0 (21) (if I want the full keyboard but C2 for Synths)
    To Note: C7 (96) (C6 (84) it the process fails or I don't want fidelity to the 88th key).
    ** That's still only 76 keys but that top octave never records better than using the C7 to cover the whole octave.
    Semitones: 3 (1 for drums with much smaller NOTE range)
    Velocity Layers: 20,40,60,80,100
    Note Length: 5.0 seconds
    Note Decay: 1.0 seconds
    Gap Between: 0.5 seconds

This makes a useful import files set 90% of the time. When there's a problem, I reduce the Velocity Layers first to 30,50,100 for example.

Start the "SynthJack" Process... and listen for a few seconds to insure its working. Some synths don't respond to NOTE 21 and it's good to stop and raise the Start Note.

After the import I use the Files App and go to:
    On My iPad/SynthJacker and check for the Folder with the "Name". Multiple runs use a name over and over and the Folder has a serial code appended so find the biggest inter code.

How many files are in that folder... should be somewhere around 100+.

Open AudioLayer and choose the Instrument Selector and the "+ Instrument" in the lower
    left of the pop-up menu. Name this New Instrument and use the Name you input in SynthJacker if you want to indicate the connection and mirror the soon to be imported Sample files.

Next, tap on the Football field.
    Select Import sample
    Navigate to On my iPad/Synthjacker/{Name_of_Instrument Folder}
    Choose Select
    Choose Select All
    (Unselect the SFZ file... probably doesn't matter really).
    Choose Open
    Choose "Auto Map [File Name]"

The samples will be imported to cover the Football Field. If area is not covered touch an adjacent sample and pull it to cover the open "black" area.

Choose the DISK ICON next to the Instrument's Name and Select Save. The instrument is not save and any crash while testing it out could loose the work to this point.

From start to end the whole process takes about 10 minutes for a 100-200 sample instrument
    with 5 second samples.

NOTE: The samples generated may not be 5 seconds long after trimming. But they will be as long as you can get. Some will end up being 2-3 seconds.

If there are any errors here let me know while I can edit them in the text.

• I'd like to have a similar process documented for:

Auria Pro's Lyra currently a file format prevents successfully imports using SJ Version 0.4.0
    NS 2 (3 layers Max)
    StageLight
    AEMS (does it support SFZ?)
    BM3?
    Cubasis?
    Chameleon?
    ???

• At the end, does Lyra import synthjacker samples? What is the right format?

• @ecstaticax said:
    At the end, does Lyra import synthjacker samples? What is the right format?

Follow these steps:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/747659/#Comment_747659

• @richardyot said:

@ecstaticax said:
    At the end, does Lyra import synthjacker samples? What is the right format?

Follow these steps:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/747659/#Comment_747659

Thanks a lot

• @McD

Lyra only accepts sfz, sf2 and exs24 formats.

We cannot create sample banks from within it.