Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

my small mobile rig :)

2»

Comments

• @AlaErt LOL
    You're hilarious.
    You started Ikea... I left the forum for two minutes... you're now veering into RadioShack territory.

• @ph8aerror said:
    @AlaErt LOL
    You're hilarious.
    You started Ikea... I left the forum for two minutes... you're now veering into RadioShack 🤣

• That looks cool. I need to build something like this with my Volcas and Circuit, but every time I start thinking about it or putting it together it gets bigger and then I’m like of course I need 49+ keys, effects, and the next thing I know it’s out of control.

• @AlaErt said:
    long time reader and fan: 1st of all thanks for all the help i was able to find in here over the years ! The mood in this forum is lovely.

even if nobody cares :) here's my mobile rig. As i'm moving from my city-apartment to a house in the countryside, i was looking for an additional mobile setup for some live jams in open nature.
    it's completely battery powered.
    I've found this interface called Studio 4 from Midiplus, a chinese vendor and i gave it a try ( even if i was sceptical ) as there are not many small 4in/4out interfaces which can be powered by the ipad outthere. Great quality and low latency ! I'm very happy with it.

• I'm routing audio from and to the digitakt for sampling/effects/compressor.
    • i use AUM (and sometimes auidobus) for everything.

• midi from Digitakt (which is the main sequencer brain) is wireless, because i didn't want to use a usb hub and didn't want more than one cable connected to the ipad.

• i hate cables, so i'm always trying to find cables in the right lenght. Especially with mobile rigs that's way less hassle and gives more portability.

• i'm controlling everything with the roli lightpad and i route the midi back to the ipad, so i can play the Digitakt's sample tracks and, more important, i can play the ipad (mpe) synths by choosing the corresponding midi track (and channel) on the ipad. Digitakt's 8 knobs for each chan are controlling the iOs synt's paramters.

• on the right side i have a contact mic (and a standard mic) which i use for live percussive looping in audio damage's great ENSO

• Enso is controlled by the roli block loop

• the powerbank is on the left side where the roli lightpad is sitting on, and provides over 6 (!) hours of power ! i made a split cable which could power additional hardware (you never know ;) ) and a usb-power port is free as well.

Really neat!

If it does what you want then size means nothing.

Thats what she said.

• Last update of the life „surfboard“ rig :) Still completely battery powered, and everything is mounted on to the wooden board.

I got the squid, which is dedicated to the iPad. Quite a powerful sequencer and the range of great synths released for iOs represents endless possibilities: 16 tracks for all kinds of synthesis.

the rytm is the analog beast counterpart to all the digital madness.

Then the Iconnectaudio4 came into the game: the routing possibilities and the usb midi host port are priceless.
    On the backside of the board there is a free usb port, where a controller of choice can be connected.

• What's the DC to USB converter you're using with your power bank with Rytm? @AlaErt

My RipCord 12v isn't powerful to run that or my Analog Four.

• @nondes said:
    What's the DC to USB converter you're using with your power bank with Rytm? @AlaErt

My RipCord 12v isn't powerful to run that or my Analog Four.

From what I can see is that he uses a 12V powerbank. So no USB converter

• right !

• I was curious about which cable you're using out of the DC powered devices?

• @nondes said:
    I was curious about which cable you're using out of the DC powered devices?

i made the cables by myself. quite easy, as i was able to find plugs which don't even need soldering - they have screws.

• @AlaErt said:

@nondes said:
    I was curious about which cable you're using out of the DC powered devices?

i made the cables by myself. quite easy, as i was able to find plugs which don't even need soldering - they have screws.

Link?

• @supadom Check out RipCord if you don't want to go the DIY route.

Thanks @AlaErt What's the model of the power bank?

• @nondes said:
    @supadom Check out RipCord if you don't want to go the DIY route.

@nondes said:

@nondes said:

i got it from a local store (austria) Even they don‘t sell it anymore. It was not a „well known“ brand. Any powerbank with 12v output will do. As soon i‘m at home i can check the brand again.

• @AlaErt said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Ahhhh.. Another WoodBox aficionado I see!

woodbox for ever ! :smiley:

torx screws forever!

the battery powered mobile rig. After this one, i’m not going to bother you anymore

No! I mean, for your sake, I hope you get some music made but I think most of us love this stuff. :)

• Looks neat! So, you just sequence the drums from the electron and then sequence the rest from the Squid and the iPad is mostly as a sound module and mixer? Or is it set up otherwise?

How is the iPad mounted? Just two pieces of wood to slip it in? And it’s stable that way?

Post some short clips of what your doing with it if you have the time!

• edited July 2019

@DMan said:
    Looks neat! So, you just sequence the drums from the electron and then sequence the rest from the Squid and the iPad is mostly as a sound module and mixer? Or is it set up otherwise?

How is the iPad mounted? Just two pieces of wood to slip it in? And it’s stable that way?

For the ipad i’ve used a small ikea tablet stand, shortened it and screwed it onto the wood. It’s quite stable, but maybe i get a second one.
    Yes, the ipad is mostly a sound module and a effect rig and i use Enso for some live percussion looping (from a mic connected to 4. analog input on the iconnectaudio) and i use some granular synths.
    Squid sequences the ios synths (the scale mode is great and the random sequences and running directions even more) and sometimes the bassline of the rytm. (thanks to te iconnectaudio4 everything is talking to everything via usb-midi)
    The rytm is for drums and analog bass, AND i use one track (which i mute/turn off on the rytm) to midi-control the parameters of all the ios synths, as i’ve found out that the 8 knobs not only send CC values (which was obvious) but if you press the parameter buttons below the knobs, their CC # change so i got virtually 48 knobs to control the soft synths!
    Sorry for my crappy english.

• @AlaErt said:

@DMan said:
    Looks neat! So, you just sequence the drums from the electron and then sequence the rest from the Squid and the iPad is mostly as a sound module and mixer? Or is it set up otherwise?

For the ipad i’ve used a small ikea tablet stand, shortened it and screwed it onto the wood. It’s quite stable, but maybe i get a second one.
    Yes, the ipad is mostly a sound module and a effect rig and i use Enso for some live percussion looping (from a mic connected to 4. analog input on the iconnectaudio) and i use some granular synths.
    Squid sequences the ios synths (the scale mode is great and the random sequences and running directions even more) and sometimes the bassline of the rytm. (thanks to te iconnectaudio4 everything is talking to everything via usb-midi)
    The rytm is for drums and analog bass, AND i use one track (which i mute/turn off on the rytm) to midi-control the parameters of all the ios synths, as i’ve found out that the 8 knobs not only send CC values (which was obvious) but if you press the parameter buttons below the knobs, their CC # change so i got virtually 48 knobs to control the soft synths!

Neat setup. Just add a keyboard if you need it or have the space. Do you have a link to the IKEA stand you used? It’s hard to see in the pic. Yeah, that works out that it doubles as CC on your other track on the electron. Kein Problem! Ich kann verstehen Sie ganz richtig. Blesser als vielen Menschen, das English ersten Sprechen Koennen. I saw you were buying in Austria, so there is my crappy German. I’m trying to remember back a few years and didn’t look anything up.

• Now, let's see this small mobile rig in action!

• @DMan said:

@AlaErt said:

@DMan said:

Neat setup. Just add a keyboard if you need it or have the space. Do you have a link to the IKEA stand you used? It’s hard to see in the pic. Yeah, that works out that it doubles as CC on your other track on the electron. Kein Problem! Ich kann verstehen Sie ganz richtig. Blesser als vielen Menschen, das English ersten Sprechen Koennen. I saw you were buying in Austria, so there is my crappy German. I’m trying to remember back a few years and didn’t look anything up.

great german ! :-))
    the stand is just this stupid one here: https://www.ikea.com/at/de/p/bergenes-halter-fuer-mobiltelefon-tablet-bambus-30358875/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpPHoBRC3ARIsALfx-_Ji5lvg_55Iv4Q7NYFMo48hxef1qpSW7b6W-We97eYpRWt4Yv2FO8caAoe1EALw_wcB

I cut it in half and screw it on the board:

• @AlaErt said:
    I cut it in half and screw it on the board:

So now you've got one left for a second iDevice? :p

• It seems we can’t get that at IKEA in the United States here. Unless I go to Ebay. It looks like a good solution to keep it compact though.

• send me your adress via PM. I got some spare stands. I‘ll send you over one - gotta go to the post office anyway to send a lot of stuff.

• Great rig, thanks for sharing. Good inspiration to see such a neat job done. Would love to hear some of your jams

• @AlaErt said:
    long time reader and fan: 1st of all thanks for all the help i was able to find in here over the years ! The mood in this forum is lovely.

even if nobody cares :) here's my mobile rig. As i'm moving from my city-apartment to a house in the countryside, i was looking for an additional mobile setup for some live jams in open nature.
    it's completely battery powered.
    I've found this interface called Studio 4 from Midiplus, a chinese vendor and i gave it a try ( even if i was sceptical ) as there are not many small 4in/4out interfaces which can be powered by the ipad outthere. Great quality and low latency ! I'm very happy with it.

• I'm routing audio from and to the digitakt for sampling/effects/compressor.
    • i use AUM (and sometimes auidobus) for everything.

• midi from Digitakt (which is the main sequencer brain) is wireless, because i didn't want to use a usb hub and didn't want more than one cable connected to the ipad.

• i hate cables, so i'm always trying to find cables in the right lenght. Especially with mobile rigs that's way less hassle and gives more portability.

• i'm controlling everything with the roli lightpad and i route the midi back to the ipad, so i can play the Digitakt's sample tracks and, more important, i can play the ipad (mpe) synths by choosing the corresponding midi track (and channel) on the ipad. Digitakt's 8 knobs for each chan are controlling the iOs synt's paramters.

• on the right side i have a contact mic (and a standard mic) which i use for live percussive looping in audio damage's great ENSO

• Enso is controlled by the roli block loop

• the powerbank is on the left side where the roli lightpad is sitting on, and provides over 6 (!) hours of power ! i made a split cable which could power additional hardware (you never know ;) ) and a usb-power port is free as well.

Have you made that wooden box yourself? And I'm also interested in that tin can, is it the most important part of the rig? :D