Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

my small mobile rig :)

long time reader and fan: 1st of all thanks for all the help i was able to find in here over the years ! The mood in this forum is lovely.

even if nobody cares :) here's my mobile rig. As i'm moving from my city-apartment to a house in the countryside, i was looking for an additional mobile setup for some live jams in open nature.
it's completely battery powered.
I've found this interface called Studio 4 from Midiplus, a chinese vendor and i gave it a try ( even if i was sceptical ) as there are not many small 4in/4out interfaces which can be powered by the ipad outthere. Great quality and low latency ! I'm very happy with it.

  • I'm routing audio from and to the digitakt for sampling/effects/compressor.
  • i use AUM (and sometimes auidobus) for everything.

  • midi from Digitakt (which is the main sequencer brain) is wireless, because i didn't want to use a usb hub and didn't want more than one cable connected to the ipad.

  • i hate cables, so i'm always trying to find cables in the right lenght. Especially with mobile rigs that's way less hassle and gives more portability.

  • i'm controlling everything with the roli lightpad and i route the midi back to the ipad, so i can play the Digitakt's sample tracks and, more important, i can play the ipad (mpe) synths by choosing the corresponding midi track (and channel) on the ipad. Digitakt's 8 knobs for each chan are controlling the iOs synt's paramters.

  • on the right side i have a contact mic (and a standard mic) which i use for live percussive looping in audio damage's great ENSO

  • Enso is controlled by the roli block loop

  • the powerbank is on the left side where the roli lightpad is sitting on, and provides over 6 (!) hours of power ! i made a split cable which could power additional hardware (you never know ;) ) and a usb-power port is free as well.




«1

Comments

  • Very nice!

  • Cool. Thanks fir sharing.

  • Very nice and cohesive setup. Would love to hear your music.

  • That's an intriguing set up. I wonder: would it work with a Pepsi Can or something a little stronger? I wish Impaktor was an AU App or even an IAA App.

  • edited April 14

    @McD said:
    That's an intriguing set up. I wonder: would it work with a Pepsi Can or something a little stronger? I wish Impaktor was an AU App or even an IAA App.

    Yep, it's a bummer that Impaktor's IAA implementation is broken.
    Only zMors Modular and Audulus for now.
    AAS Objeq is probably the only somewhat similar (but limited) AUv3 option now.

  • Sweet man!

  • Very nice setup @AlaErt ! 👍
    Would you please explain how you setup the ROLI Loop Block to control ENSO?
    A screenshot with the settings would be very helpful! 😊 🙏
    Thanks a lot!

  • edited April 14

    @chandroji said:
    Very nice setup @AlaErt ! 👍
    Would you please explain how you setup the ROLI Loop Block to control ENSO?
    A screenshot with the settings would be very helpful! 😊 🙏
    Thanks a lot!

    hi, nothing too fancy: the Loop Block sends standard midi cc values. So just open ENSO, enlarge the plugin window and find the midi settings. Then just tap on "midi cc" , on the block press the button which you want to assign a function to and choose the function from the drop down menu. i assigned "trigger" to the record button, so each time i press it, it records/plays/overdubs. If you need more help let me know.

  • Admittedly I came in here thinking this is gonna be a boring ass post with unnecessarily complex-wired-starship-enterprise, look-at-me-with-all-my-gazillion-apps type post with poor illustratory images.
    But I was hella wrong.
    @AlaErt , do you have an ig with performance vids? This setup is the shit I love to see.

  • @ph8aerror said:
    Admittedly I came in here thinking this is gonna be a boring ass post with unnecessarily complex-wired-starship-enterprise, look-at-me-with-all-my-gazillion-apps type post with poor illustratory images.
    But I was hella wrong.
    @AlaErt , do you have an ig with performance vids? This setup is the shit I love to see.

    thanks mate. That's exactly my point. I got tons of gears and apps as well, but i love isolating single devices by building small cohesive rigs and curing the esthetics (somehow inspiring for my workflow), without 1000 cables, full fledged Daws and 100000 possibilities - to the point that i ended up using some equipment ONLY WHEN i limit myself that way. Limitation is everything - that's one of the reasons i PREFER iOs over a macbook with Ableton. IG: not right now, but maybe soon.

  • edited April 15

    @AlaErt
    Thanks a lot for your screenshot!
    Before I posted my question I was trying to connect the Loop Block exactly as you showed in the screenshot. Enso was always „waiting“ and didn’t recognize the buttons I’ve pressed. So I thought there must be trick to connect the device to Enso.

    Now I realized that my loop block can not connect to Enso (but it’s shown up and connected with AUM and it’s marked as a input device for Enso), I don’t know why it’s not working . When I do the same thing with the ROLI Touch or Live Block everything works as expected... 😎

    Now I need to find out what is wrong with the Loop Block...

    Thanks again for your feedback @AlaErt ! 🙏

  • @chandroji said:
    @AlaErt
    Thanks a lot for your screenshot!
    Before I posted my question I was trying to connect the Loop Block exactly as you showed in the screenshot. Enso was always „waiting“ and didn’t recognize the buttons I’ve pressed. So I thought there must be trick to connect the device to Enso.

    Now I realized that my loop block can not connect to Enso (but it’s shown up and connected with AUM and it’s marked as a input device for Enso), I don’t know why it’s not working . When I do the same thing with the ROLI Touch or Live Block everything works as expected... 😎

    Now I need to find out what is wrong with the Loop Block...

    Thanks again for your feedback @AlaErt ! 🙏

    no problem ! :)
    That’s strange ! i had the inverse problem. The presses on the lightblock were not recognised by enso, but the loop block worked right away. try if AUM can map the loop block to enso - AUM is capable to do so as well, besides enso’s internal midi mapping. You find it in the settings. So at least you can understand better what exactly is not not working.
    and apologize my crappy english ...

  • and then... after searching all day long, you find the perfect gigbag 💙

  • edited April 15

    Awesome setup! I'm drooling here! :lol: :open_mouth:

  • Yeah, wow. This is my sort of thread; I love your emphasis on simplicity and keeping everything streamlined (including cables). Inspiring!

  • as there is some space left on top of the interface, i consider adding a last piece of gear: a moog minitaur for some real analog flavour. The base of the Minitaur is the same size as the surface of the interface so i think that would be perfect ;)

  • @AlaErt said:
    as there is some space left on top of the interface, i consider adding a last piece of gear: a moog minitaur for some real analog flavour. The base of the Minitaur is the same size as the surface of the interface so i think that would be perfect ;)

    The Minitaur is essential in my portable rig.

    Use 5 pin midi instead of USB if possible. USB = tons of stuck notes and issues.

    No neat permanent setup for me, I just throw stuff in a backpack and pad it out with clothes.

  • Small update :) I’ve added the moog Minitaur for some analog bass love. Now the jam-in-the-woods-rig is complete. :)
    My powebank is powering the digitakt AND the minitaur with no issues at all. I made new a split-cable for battery power supply because i found some brand new plugs with screws - which is great ‘cos i suck at soldering. (the green plugs in the pictures)
    Under the battery now there is a usb hub for all the midi connections and i made an hole on the backside of the box, so
    i can plug and unplug the cable that connects to the ipad, so that still i have just ONE usb cable :)

    i’ve realized that i’m using the rig on battery power even when i’m at home, because it’s so damn cool sitting on the couch with absolutely zero power cables, instead of THREE bulky power supply units. which that rig normally would need to have.



  • Very nice.

  • Love it! What an awesome streamlined setup. Nicely done, sir.

  • rebuilt everything from scratch... made a whole new box by myself with some fresh and more sturdy wood, torx screws, bigger and nicer cable holes and oil finish :)
    Still completely battery powered, now with the option to power it via wall outlet with just one cable.








  • @AlaErt said:
    rebuilt everything from scratch... made a whole new box by myself with some fresh and more sturdy wood, torx screws, bigger and nicer cable holes and oil finish :)
    Still completely battery powered, now with the option to power it via wall outlet with just one cable.

    This looks quite comfortable! 😊
    👍

  • Ahhhh.. Another WoodBox aficionado I see!

  • @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Ahhhh.. Another WoodBox aficionado I see!

    woodbox for ever ! :smiley:

  • @AlaErt said:
    rebuilt everything from scratch... made a whole new box by myself with some fresh and more sturdy wood, torx screws, bigger and nicer cable holes and oil finish :)
    Still completely battery powered, now with the option to power it via wall outlet with just one cable.








    No lid?

  • Nice Couch Rig!

  • @supadom said:

    @AlaErt said:
    rebuilt everything from scratch... made a whole new box by myself with some fresh and more sturdy wood, torx screws, bigger and nicer cable holes and oil finish :)
    Still completely battery powered, now with the option to power it via wall outlet with just one cable.








    No lid ?

    maybe in the next version :)

  • latest and final version of
    the battery powered mobile rig. After this one, i’m not going to bother you anymore :)

  • Sweet setup! I need at least 49 keys but I prefer 61

  • @ralis said:
    Sweet setup! I need at least 49 keys but I prefer 61

    yeah... in fact me too sometimes. But exactly THIS is the reason for this kind of setups: IF i decide to bring a 49keys controller i still have the feeling to bring just 2 pieces of gear: the box in the pic and the keyboard. when i arrive, i have just two bags and all i need is the connection to the PA and 1 cable to the keyboard.

Sign In or Register to comment.