Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ApeMatrix routing, will it phase?

So I've had apeMatrix for a while but just now trying to dig into it. I like that I can load up one instance of an effect, make it 100% wet then decide per instrument channel how much feeds into it, seems real nice when you want multi effects..
My question, based on this routing below.... I have sunrizer going to delay, reverb and tape effect as well as having a bit of dry signal up...
Is this the best way to route all this or will it create phasing?
I cant really tell as right now I'm relying on iPad speakers I'm away from my studio monitors..

Comments

• edited April 2019

Believe me, you'll hear phasing effects even on the little iPad speakers, no need for studio monitors :D
    The "right way" to do it would be so adjust each effect's MIX value to effect-only, to avoid phasing except when using a phaser ;)

• @rs2000 said:
    Believe me, you'll hear phasing effects even on the little iPad speakers, no need for studio monitors :D
    The "right way" to do it would be so adjust each effect's MIX value to effect-only, to avoid phasing except when using a phaser ;)

Haha normally I can tell but I'm not in a quite place at all 🤣
    Ok so 100% wet on the effects..
    Then just adjust the level of each one... Seems right!

• I don’t think you would get variable phasing (like a phase effect), unless it comes from the mix of the dry and tape effected signal, and the tape effect has wow/flutter happening.

If you do get phase shifting, it would probably be a constant phase offset, resulting in a static, comb-filtered result. It would sound more like an EQ or filter got applied, more than a phaser.

• Cool! I just wasn't sure if there was a better way to route stuff here.... I'm just starting to dig into the matrix!

• The matrix below is hopefully a good way to describe a typical setup as it's a mix of different apeMatrix approaches.

• Mersenne is going straight to the output as a dry signal.
    • The signal from Mersenne is being fed to a reverb and delay, both of which are set up as send effects (they're 100% wet effect mix, no dry signal).
    • The reverb and delay are being sent to Bus A.
    • Buss A is being sent to a limiter.
    • The limiter feeds it's signal to a visual analyser.
    • The visual analyser is sending the audio from the limiter to the audio out to be mixed with the dry Mersenne signal.
    • Mersenne is being driven by Fugue Machine

The reason you'll get no phase cancellation with this setup is that Mersenne is being affected in parallel, the result is being limited before it's combined wet effect is sent to the audio out via the visualiser. This mimics a typical send/return setup in a DAW but with the added benefit that the combined effect return is being limited before being sent on to the output.

The balance of the effect returns is controlled by the volume that is sent to Bus A (you may have noticed, the red circles act as volume controls too)

I'm not attempting to show a sophisticated setup, just one that mimics a typical DAW setup but via a matrix, but hopefully, you can see the flexibility on offer.

Let me know if anything needs further explanation (but bear in mind that I'm in the UK so it may have to wait till tomorrow).

• BTW it's worth adding that you can simply connect everything in serial (no need to use the busses) and this is very useful for those iOS FX that don't offer a Dry/Wet mix. I'll often use a mix of both sent/return parallel FX and serial (insert) fx routings in the same setup. You can get really creative.

Plus don't forget that apeMatrix comes with an AU Oscilloscope, VU Meters and a sent/return AU, which is brilliant for using all three Matrices at the same time (this gets around the limited number of built-in busses). I applaud Alessandro for that last design strategy. Adding any more than two busses per matrix might have increased the visual complexity a little too much.

• Great stuff @jonmoore ! This was really helpful while I dug in today to the ape!
    Used the busses, never really thought about it before..
    Now I wanna run everything from apeMatrix into AUM for more fun