Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ATOM Piano Roll Step Input Quick tip

My absolute favorite feature of the new ATOM | Piano Roll. The Step Input. Simply Amazing. @blueveek Great job on the app.

Comments

• Can’t wait to find time for the video. I wonder myself all the time who uses stepinput :)
    Ready to learn 💪🏼

• @gmslayton excellent concise video and also the tipping-point for me getting Atom. Viva step input!

• @david_2017 the step input is awesome for a lot of things. Plus you can do some tricky stuff with the quantize options. Video coming soon.

@Proppa thanks. As soon as I saw Step Input I hit the buy button. This app checks almost all my blocks for a midi piano roll.

• I use step-input in Logic Pro X all the time since I suck at playing live...

In Logic Pro X I also use the sustain-pedal(CC64) to add rests or tie the notes to the next step which is a 'feature' I'd love to see in Atom.

Rozeta Cells has a rest/tie button and Photon can advance one step with the arrows so I have no doubts Atom will get this feature at some point :)

• Watched the video. The chord step recording is brilliant! 👍🏼 thanks for sharing mate!!!

• @Samu I was not aware of the rest function in Logic, that is pretty brilliant.

@blueveek how hard would it be to allow rests to be added via the sustain pedal? or a midi learn CC?

• GM... you should switch your handle to match your YouTube for improved branding. I switched and I pretend not to know that jerk.

• edited April 2019

@gmslayton said:
    @Samu I was not aware of the rest function in Logic, that is pretty brilliant.

@blueveek how hard would it be to allow rests to be added via the sustain pedal? or a midi learn CC?

First I think we need a 'rest/tie' button in the Atom UI which could then be mapped to a CC...

Both my current 'in-use' controllers (Korg nanoKEY Studio Akai LPK Mini) have a sustain button present and being able to tap that to rest / tie notes in Atom would be awesome :)

• I just learned it support triplets and 8ths against each other. I have to try that out. I usually just play and use the grid to fix bad notes but i’d Like to make some polyrhythmic patterns/loops to confuse my brain.

So this training is timely for me.

• edited April 2019

Here’s my suggested workaround for adding rest notes (that is, until Blueveek adds it in a future update)...

Tip - use the lowest or highest note on your midi keyboard as a ‘rest marker’ in step input mode

If you’re bummed that the awesome Step Input mode doesn’t allow rest notes (at least, not yet) then I suggest you use a note at the extreme end of your midi keyboard for this purpose, such as C-0 or C-6 (ie any key that won’t be appearing in your actual sequence).
    Use this key as your rest markers, and then manually delete these notes after entering your sequence.

Extra tip - you can select all these ‘fake rest notes’ by holding the corresponding on-screen piano key to select the entire row, then press delete.

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

Excellent tip. I’d add a StreamByter script after Atom to drop those notes on the outbound stream and pass on the extra editing forever.

And maybe a script before to map sustain events to the secret note for @samu sanity.

• Thanks for the 'work around' for 'rests' now one how about one for 'tie' that doesn't require too much manual work ;)
    Puns aside, I really like Atom for what it already offers and additional features are considered bonuses hehe...

Aton is the on of the few piano-rolls/step-sequencers I truly enjoy using on my iPad!
    (I really wish it was possible to 'replace' the native Cubasis, Gadget & BM3 Piano-roll editors with Atom!).

• edited April 2019

@Samu unfortunately I don't have any good workarounds for adding ties by step.

If it were me, I would enter the pattern without ties, then switch Snap off (top-right corner) and manually extend the desired tied notes by a fraction with the select tool.

• @Samu said:
    Aton is the on of the few piano-rolls/step-sequencers I truly enjoy using on my iPad!

Product Reviews:

"Atom is one of the few piano rolls/Step-sequencers I truly enjoy using on my iPad!"

• Samu (Computer Music Pioneering App Tester)

@Samu says: I never said that. I said.

"Aton is the on of the few piano-rolls/step-sequencers I truly enjoy using on my iPad!"

B)

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@Samu said:
    Thanks for the 'work around' for 'rests' now one how about one for 'tie' that doesn't require too much manual work ;)
    Puns aside, I really like Atom for what it already offers and additional features are considered bonuses hehe...

(I really wish it was possible to 'replace' the native Cubasis, Gadget & BM3 Piano-roll editors with Atom!).

You can in Cubasis and BM3. Just load in a midi FX slot and use it instead. In Cubasis you can record the midi to Cubasis when done if you like. In BM3 you may be able to do it with AudioVeek’s midi route plugin. I’m too lazy to try.

Sequencing from outside Gadget is relatively easy with AudioBus and AUM. It’s particularly easy to record Atom output to Gadget when ready if you use Audiobus.

• @McD said:

@Samu said:

Product Reviews:

"Atom is one of the few piano rolls/Step-sequencers I truly enjoy using on my iPad!"

• Samu (Computer Music Pioneering App Tester)

@Samu says: I never said that. I said.

"Aton is the on of the few piano-rolls/step-sequencers I truly enjoy using on my iPad!"

B)

It’s getting late, my eyes are blurry and the brain is about to take a nap :D

• @wim said:

@Samu said:
    Thanks for the 'work around' for 'rests' now one how about one for 'tie' that doesn't require too much manual work ;)

You can in Cubasis and BM3. Just load in a midi FX slot and use it instead. In Cubasis you can record the midi to Cubasis when done if you like. In BM3 you may be able to do it with AudioVeek’s midi route plugin. I’m too lazy to try.

Sequencing from outside Gadget is relatively easy with AudioBus and AUM. It’s particularly easy to record Atom output to Gadget when ready if you use Audiobus.

True but it’s too much hassle ;)

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@Samu said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

True but it’s too much hassle ;)

Really?? I find it extremely easy in Cubasis. Gadget not so much, but I’m used to bypassing sequencing in Gadget already. BM3 definitely too much hassle for my taste.

• @gmslayton said:

I’m learning something new on this forum everyday it seems. I’m far from a power user when it comes to music production, and had no idea about this functionality in Logic.

Sounds like a pretty cool feature indeed. And there’s a few ways to one-up it i think: How about making even more input controls in Atom controllable via MIDI? E.g: extend note length of an already inputted note via mod wheel. Change selection to next or previous notes using CC messages. Alter velocity with a fader. etc. Lots of things to experiment with here.

• edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

@gmslayton said:

I’m learning something new on this forum everyday it seems. I’m far from a power user when it comes to music production, and had no idea about this functionality in Logic.

Sounds like a pretty cool feature indeed. And there’s a few ways to one-up it i think: How about making even more input controls in Atom controllable via MIDI? E.g: extend note length of an already inputted note via mod wheel. Change selection to next or previous notes using CC messages. Alter velocity with a fader. etc. Lots of things to experiment with here.

I look forward to more midi mappable stuff :D but could we please get advance step/step back buttons on the interface itself ? Would make it easy for the few of us that use a keyboard only when we travel with no extra knobs or buttons.

• edited April 2019

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@blueveek said:

@gmslayton said:

I look forward to more midi mappable stuff :D but could we please get advance step/step back buttons on the interface itself ? Would make it easy for the few of us that use a keyboard only when we travel with no extra knobs or buttons.

You mean as opposed to moving the playhead itself? (because notes are entered at the playhead, which is already movable: just tap or drag).

• When I was doing beta on the now 'vaporware' PlayerPro for the Mac we added an option to detach the playhead from the input position.(In short it was a 'cursor follows playback position on/off' switch).

The practical usage of this was the possibility to use the keyboard to add notes to any position in the pattern while it was playing. In Atom it's possible to add notes by tapping anywhere while a pattern plays but not by using a midi-keyboard...

I can work around this as I'm pretty comfortable with drawing notes by hand.

• Cool video man , I was curious how to use this as I've had little time to really work in my studio recently and been all iPhone...
    Also digging your apeMatrix videos ! Keep em coming

• Thank you Mitch as per usual always very informative. Any way you can enter rests?

• @blueveek if we could move the playhead via midi either by steps back and forth with a button or even with a knob based on the grid, that would be awesome. it is sort of like short cuts on a computer, the less I have to reach over and move the mouse, or in this case, touch the screen, the more productive I can be.

Also, could you make the quantize percentages go backwards? with 0 still being original but being able to move notes in a negative percentage could offer some more variety.

• @gmslayton said:
    @blueveek if we could move the playhead via midi either by steps back and forth with a button or even with a knob based on the grid, that would be awesome. it is sort of like short cuts on a computer, the less I have to reach over and move the mouse, or in this case, touch the screen, the more productive I can be.

Also, could you make the quantize percentages go backwards? with 0 still being original but being able to move notes in a negative percentage could offer some more variety.

+1

• Wow... knob? Top!!! Great idea bro 💪🏼

• I think being able to configure:

MIDI Note to generate a "rest" with current time value = [INSERT MIDI NUMBER HERE 1-127]

Then any keyboard could be used and there are many options to trigger that note
    with Sustain and Bluetooth Pedals.

• @tja said:

@gmslayton said:
    @blueveek if we could move the playhead via midi either by steps back and forth with a button or even with a knob based on the grid, that would be awesome. it is sort of like short cuts on a computer, the less I have to reach over and move the mouse, or in this case, touch the screen, the more productive I can be.

+1

+1

• @Metalman Not at the moment. Although you could choose a note like C-6 or something that will not be used, add it in the places you want to add a rest and then just delete all of those notes. Not ideal but it would work. I think the developer will be adding that ability though.