Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom Piano Roll updated with support for iOS 11, better layout on iPhone

Comments

• @cian said:
    @BiancaNeve said:

Sorry I thought this was the Audiobus forum - not the AUM forum.

Audiobus doesn't support AU3 Midi plugins though, does it?

Yes Audiobus supports AUv3 midi :)

I don't see the problem though, AUM is an Audiobus friendly app.

• Sure, but if you host things in Audiobus then you can quickly switch to them. I've found the workflow:

• Sequencer in Audiobus (xequence/Modstep), with midi channels routed to audiobus MIDI
    • Apps hosted in AudioBus (midi routed in Audiobus)
    • Audio routed into AUM (full mixing/sends/auxs capability, plus recording, sound file play back, plus effects that I don't fiddle with much)

Is really fluid and nice. I can even use AudioBus remote on my phone to switch instruments. I love AUM, but switching devices is not particularly great.

But looking in Audiobus MIDI tab I don't see any of my AU Midi plugins.

• Oh and state saving. State saving in AudioBus is great. I set up common workflows as a template - then I just fire up the template that I want and get going really quickly. Love it.

• edited April 2019

@cian said:
    Sure, but if you host things in Audiobus then you can quickly switch to them. I've found the workflow:

• Sequencer in Audiobus (xequence/Modstep), with midi channels routed to audiobus MIDI
    • Apps hosted in AudioBus (midi routed in Audiobus)
    • Audio routed into AUM (full mixing/sends/auxs capability, plus recording, sound file play back, plus effects that I don't fiddle with much)

Is really fluid and nice. I can even use AudioBus remote on my phone to switch instruments. I love AUM, but switching devices is not particularly great.

That’s weird really you don’t see your midi AU:

I really like Audiobus too, my main wish is it gets audio busses and audio recording. Its app switching works really well on iPhone, as midi learn, state saving and presets midi switching.

• @tja said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    This update doesn’t seem to fix the issue of step recording AU keyboards not stepping

I use ATOM step-recording in AUM without any problems have you chosen any 'input' for Atom?
    (I've fed it with external 'keyboard apps' as well as hardware controllers).

It doesn’t work with AUv3 midi keyboard apps. All the notes stack on the first beat. Maybe you were using an IAA / Standalone version?

[edit] oops. Only doesn’t work in AudioBus. It’s OK in AUM.

I see no problems with step recording in AudioBus.
    It draws the note and continues to the next part of the grid.

It’s only a problem with step recording and only if using AUv3 midi keyboard apps to play. Are you saying that step recording works with Xequence Keys and/or KB-1 in AU mode? If so then maybe it’s isolated to beta versions of AudioBus.

• @cian said:

You have to click on audio units to see them

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    This update doesn’t seem to fix the issue of step recording AU keyboards not stepping

I use ATOM step-recording in AUM without any problems have you chosen any 'input' for Atom?

It doesn’t work with AUv3 midi keyboard apps. All the notes stack on the first beat. Maybe you were using an IAA / Standalone version?

It’s only a problem with step recording and only if using AUv3 midi keyboard apps to play. Are you saying that step recording works with Xequence Keys and/or KB-1 in AU mode? If so then maybe it’s isolated to beta versions of AudioBus.

Ah, I understand.

But how do you connect the output of KB-1 to Atom within AudioBus?
    Atom cannot be loaded as MIDI receiver and when I load it as MIDI FX, KB-1 cannot send to it.

Dare to post your AudioBus preset?

• @tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Ah, I understand.

Atom cannot be loaded as MIDI receiver and when I load it as MIDI FX, KB-1 cannot send to it.

Ive has no issues sending with KB-1 in the midi sender slot, Atom in the midi FX slot, and anything I like in the output. I’ve been using the beta lately though. I don’t think the production version is any different, but will need to check in a few hours.

• Came to think of it...

Atom already has 'scissors' to cut notes to grid divisions so what about adding a 'glue' tool to glue events?

When it comes to the UI the scissors could toggle between scissors and glue depending on mode.

The scissors / glue could also work on a selection (ie. if there is a 1 bar note selected tapping on scissors would create 16 16th notes if the grid is set to 16th's).

The 'glue' could also work on a selection making it possible to 'eliminate' overlapping notes which can for now only be detected by ear. The overlapping notes can become a bit tricky to remove when overdubbing new notes.

To save space the pen and paint tools could behave in the same manner(ie. toggle mode pen/paint).

The selection tool could also be improved with an option to 'add/remove' notes to/from the selection making it possible to use the lasso to add/remove notes.

Also I wish there was an option to have multiple tracks per instance (ie. one for each midi-channel) and use the 'layer' thing to keep an eye on the tracks on the instance :)

This is just me brain-storming so if it makes sense feel free to comment...

• @blueveek When I want to quickly enter notes via the screen, I currently employ a two finger tapping method- one tap with the right finger to make a note, then a quick tap with the left to clear the selection. Can you set things so that I can keep one finger down and stationary in an empty area, then tap with the other to make notes? Or would this cause too many issues with pan and zoom gestures? Getting tired of the tippity tap.

• @aaronpc said:
    @blueveek When I want to quickly enter notes via the screen, I currently employ a two finger tapping method- one tap with the right finger to make a note, then a quick tap with the left to clear the selection. Can you set things so that I can keep one finger down and stationary in an empty area, then tap with the other to make notes? Or would this cause too many issues with pan and zoom gestures? Getting tired of the tippity tap.

One option here would be to make the draw mode 'stick', ie. as long as it is enabled every tap creates a new note and 'scrolling/panning' would be disabled. (to enable sticky draw mode one could double-tap on the pen/paint tools?).

This would be similar to GarageBand where one has to enable 'draw mode' in order to add notes, when draw mode is not enabled the selection tool is active and tapping on a selection brings up the tools on what can be done with the selection.

Most of the time I use the step-recorder to add notes using the onscreen keyboard in AUM or an external controller.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

@Samu said:

@BiancaNeve said:

Ah, I understand.

Ive has no issues sending with KB-1 in the midi sender slot, Atom in the midi FX slot, and anything I like in the output. I’ve been using the beta lately though. I don’t think the production version is any different, but will need to check in a few hours.

Confirmed.
    The steps do not advance and everything records in the first part of the grid.
    This was with the regular AudioBus, not the beta.

I had problems earlier, as KB-1 was set to MPE, which did not register in Atom.

• @Samu said:

@aaronpc said:
    @blueveek When I want to quickly enter notes via the screen, I currently employ a two finger tapping method- one tap with the right finger to make a note, then a quick tap with the left to clear the selection. Can you set things so that I can keep one finger down and stationary in an empty area, then tap with the other to make notes? Or would this cause too many issues with pan and zoom gestures? Getting tired of the tippity tap.

One option here would be to make the draw mode 'stick', ie. as long as it is enabled every tap creates a new note and 'scrolling/panning' would be disabled. (to enable sticky draw mode one could double-tap on the pen/paint tools?).

This would be similar to GarageBand where one has to enable 'draw mode' in order to add notes, when draw mode is not enabled the selection tool is active and tapping on a selection brings up the tools on what can be done with the selection.

Most of the time I use the step-recorder to add notes using the onscreen keyboard in AUM or an external controller.

I tend to prefer hidden but harmless power-user gestures to implementations that might confuse (such as disabling pan and scroll). Plus, I would want to quickly scroll around as I worked without toggling a mode on and off. I'm sure both approaches have pitfalls of some sort or another, so we'll see how things pan out.

• @blueveek

A couple of feature requests in case you think these might be possible :)

mute notes. eg make a selection press mute notes and they go transparent, sometimes useful for auditioning removing notes in the sequence. But not wanting to delete them.

I think it also could be great to see a nudge left right + up down control for the active grid. Moving by touch is good but sometimes a bit fiddly. Even better if then you could also have this as an AU parameter too. So could then also use a controller. :)

• @Carnbot said:
    @blueveek

mute notes. eg make a selection press mute notes and they go transparent, sometimes useful for auditioning removing notes in the sequence. But not wanting to delete them.

Would this be equivalent to setting the velocity to 0 in the velocity editor? Or perhaps this would work like a non-destructive velocity edit?

• @blueveek said:

@Carnbot said:
    @blueveek

Would this be equivalent to setting the velocity to 0 in the velocity editor? Or perhaps this would work like a non-destructive velocity edit?

My interpretation when a note is 'muted' is more like 'ignore event' since triggering a note with velocity 0 could cause unwanted note-cuts when using mono voices.

• Midi channels please!

Honor which channel is coming in to Atom and send it out on that channel AND be able to pick midi out channels for each Roll like in AUM so you could send the same Roll to multiple synths on different channels etc.
    As it is now everything is sent out on channel 1. I have used your Clone and Filter AU to change channels but that requires more setup.

Looking forward to seeing where Atom goes!!

• I want multiple midi-channels per instance with 'overlay' to avoid jumping around between windows and instances...

• @Samu said:

@blueveek said:

@Carnbot said:
    @blueveek

My interpretation when a note is 'muted' is more like 'ignore event' since triggering a note with velocity 0 could cause unwanted note-cuts when using mono voices.

Yeah I would see this as an "ignore", just hidden from the sequence, a bit like the overlay mode from the other AUs they can be seen but don't emit from the instance.

• edited April 2019

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@blueveek said:

@Carnbot said:
    @blueveek

Yeah I would see this as an "ignore", just hidden from the sequence, a bit like the overlay mode from the other AUs they can be seen but don't emit from the instance.

Another idea: "probability 0%"

But yeah, even if separate, doesn't seem too difficult technically. It's just a matter of prioritisation. However, it does fit into the general philosophy of non-destructive editing that I'm trying to promote with Atom.

• @blueveek said:
    @Carnbot said:

@Samu said:

@blueveek said:

@Carnbot said:
    @blueveek

Another idea: "probability 0%"

But yeah, even if separate, doesn't seem too difficult technically. It's just a matter of prioritisation. However, it does fit into the general philosophy of non-destructive editing that I'm trying to promote with Atom.

Yes, probability is even better. :)
    Like StepPoly arp has for each note.

Because performance of Atom is really good, non destructive editing is ideal for performance/experimental type of play, which fits with the modular aspect. It's why I really like Thesys and SPA/Fugue machine too. You're able to play and perform the sequences in real time. It's not just about the editing etc.

• Might have missed this, but copy and paste would be super helpful when editing sequences.

• @Carnbot said:

@blueveek said:

Because performance of Atom is really good, non destructive editing is ideal for performance/experimental type of play, which fits with the modular aspect. It's why I really like Thesys and SPA/Fugue machine too. You're able to play and perform the sequences in real time. It's not just about the editing etc.

And while we're on step-related actions such as Probability a conditional Ratchet/Re-Trigger could be neat as well ;)

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

@blueveek said:

I think probability might be best applied as a page on the automation editor, I don't use it much in Steppoly arp because there's no way to do it like that in it's own editor, you have to touch each note which is useful but not possible to make group edits etc :)

• I feel crazy. Just got atom. Is there a way to loop only a small section of the piano roll for editing? I can move the end point, but not the start position.

• @slicetwo said:
    I feel crazy. Just got atom. Is there a way to loop only a small section of the piano roll for editing? I can move the end point, but not the start position.

You can’t move the start position at this time.

• @wim said:

@slicetwo said:
    I feel crazy. Just got atom. Is there a way to loop only a small section of the piano roll for editing? I can move the end point, but not the start position.

You can’t move the start position at this time.

I know it's been well-mentioned etc already, but this would be a very lovely plus point.

• edited April 2019

@slicetwo said:

You're not alone. Quite a few of us want this quite a bit. Hopefully @blueveek will add this in soon :)

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@slicetwo said:

You're not alone. Quite a few of us want this quite a bit. Hopefully @blueveek will add this in soon :)

:wink:

Currently taking some time off to avoid getting too burnt out. Looks like the 1.0.1 release is quite stable so far.

• @blueveek said:
    Currently taking some time off to avoid getting too burnt out. Looks like the 1.0.1 release is quite stable so far.

Thank you for making a really useful tool. Enjoy this break.