Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nika by Ruben Zilibowitz

edited April 2019 in General App Discussion

Looks a lot like Melodyne (UI) 😊

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1441294568?

Comments

• Video demo from when it was in development:

• This is turning into a hell of a month. I don't know if this can be of as high a quality as what I use on the desktop to clean up my vocals, but it sure could be useful in a number of other ways. For $4, I might just have to take the plunge and report back.

• On Facebook the developer says it’s 50% off for limited time.

• Release demo:

• @aaronpc said:
    This is turning into a hell of a month. I don't know if this can be of as high a quality as what I use on the desktop to clean up my vocals, but it sure could be useful in a number of other ways. For $4, I might just have to take the plunge and report back.

I'm curious to hear from anyone that takes the plunge.

• Had a go, and my experience matches up pretty well with the video.

It does a mostly good job of rendering notes, and what notes it gets wrong is easily correctable thanks to the display. Even worked reasonably well when singing words rather than hum hums.

The autotune works, but the sound quality is poor— it gets a reverby quality, probably due to excessive dithering, and is pretty useless for lead vocals, I'd say. Probably asking too much on iOS. Maybe if you had pristine recordings, but there is no audio import. You could move the notes up and down all over and maybe get some sample fodder.

The Harmony and Arrange commands are as advertised. Simple but useful. Could use more control over inversions there, but it's fine.

The Chord feature, where you can gather notes to make a chord, is a cool idea, and the Suggester ratings list is a nice bonus.

The UI is a bit cludgy, especially on my iPhoneX where the scrolling toolbar is constantly fighting the app switcher thingie. but it's fine on the iPad and I quickly got used to where things were. There's a lot of sliding and clicking, though.

The lack of AB doesn't bother me. This is a computationally heavy and thus slow enterprise, and this type of discovery happens at the beginning of writing a song, so I don't mind doing it standalone. The files app integration works fine, as I can send the midi out to AudioShare in a snap. All I need now is for Atom to have midi import, then I can use its stretch feature to knock these unquantized notes into shape.

There are some oddities— the audio export includes the terrible piano sounds, so you have to delete all the note data first, but it has an undo, so whatever.

Overall, I give it the thumbs up for $4, but your mileage may definitely vary. Double the price and I would put it on a wish list and wait for a sale.

Damn. I'll do just about anything to avoid working on these taxes.

• I’d love to see what this app evolves into within say, two to five years .

• Judging by that video the intended use is as a chord progression generator for vocal melodies. Since you can't import audio it's never going to fly as a Melodyne type of app, it's literally just a songwriter tool - it's actually quite useful in that guise, but I wouldn't recommend buying it to fix vocals with.

• According to the app description it actually can import audio (maybe paste or 'send to...' by another app)
    Imho it's intended as a Melodyne copy, a rather shameless one considering the GUI copy.
    But Celemony has decades of algorithmic developement behind their Melodyne products.

• the main difference is : Melodyne treat polyphonic audio sources

• another big difference is the price!

• It's a doodad that costs 4 quid.

It doesn't compete with Melodyne despite the visuals.

But it is kinda fun for playing around and you can send audio to it from the Files app.

• @Telefunky said:
    According to the app description it actually can import audio (maybe paste or 'send to...' by another app)
    Imho it's intended as a Melodyne copy, a rather shameless one considering the GUI copy.
    But Celemony has decades of algorithmic developement behind their Melodyne products.

I just tried to import an audio file from AudioShare using “Open in" and it works, but the app is a little sensitive with the length of the notes. If they are too short, they are not displayed, but it works fine with longer notes.

• @aaronpc said:
    Had a go, and my experience matches up pretty well with the video.

It does a mostly good job of rendering notes, and what notes it gets wrong is easily correctable thanks to the display. Even worked reasonably well when singing words rather than hum hums.

The autotune works, but the sound quality is poor— it gets a reverby quality, probably due to excessive dithering, and is pretty useless for lead vocals, I'd say. Probably asking too much on iOS. Maybe if you had pristine recordings, but there is no audio import. You could move the notes up and down all over and maybe get some sample fodder.

The Harmony and Arrange commands are as advertised. Simple but useful. Could use more control over inversions there, but it's fine.

The Chord feature, where you can gather notes to make a chord, is a cool idea, and the Suggester ratings list is a nice bonus.

The UI is a bit cludgy, especially on my iPhoneX where the scrolling toolbar is constantly fighting the app switcher thingie. but it's fine on the iPad and I quickly got used to where things were. There's a lot of sliding and clicking, though.

The lack of AB doesn't bother me. This is a computationally heavy and thus slow enterprise, and this type of discovery happens at the beginning of writing a song, so I don't mind doing it standalone. The files app integration works fine, as I can send the midi out to AudioShare in a snap. All I need now is for Atom to have midi import, then I can use its stretch feature to knock these unquantized notes into shape.

There are some oddities— the audio export includes the terrible piano sounds, so you have to delete all the note data first, but it has an undo, so whatever.

Overall, I give it the thumbs up for $4, but your mileage may definitely vary. Double the price and I would put it on a wish list and wait for a sale.

Damn. I'll do just about anything to avoid working on these taxes.

Good review. Thanks. Good luck with the paperwork....

• edited May 2019

Great app, I like it.
    It has potential.