Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepBud AUv3 MIDI Sequencer - Available

Comments

• Brilliant @cem_olcay can't wait to try it out

• Hi @cem_olcay , I found this bug in StepBud: using it in standalone mode, after opening the step edit window, the midi IN and OUT ports (in Settings) are all reset to disabled (off)! So each time after I close the step edit window (via Cancel or Done) I have to go to Settings and select/enable my midi OUT port(s) again. Also I can't use the Preview button in the step editor, because the momentary Midi output port is disabled... I hope you will look into this. Thank you.

• AUM + Moog + stepbud + bleass

• The new update v1.2 hit the store!!

• Step skipping
    • Probability
    • Swing
    • Even/Odd number step locking
    • Hiding/Showing skip and lock buttons
    • Root Note AU parameter
    • Root Note changing with MIDI input
    • Lot more fixes and improvements
  • @cem_olcay said:
    The new update v1.2 hit the store!!

• Step skipping
    • Probability
    • Swing
    • Even/Odd number step locking
    • Hiding/Showing skip and lock buttons
    • Root Note AU parameter
    • Root Note changing with MIDI input
    • Lot more fixes and improvements

Yes indeed, just landed here but 1am so not the best time for a road test.

Good work on this, great to see it evolve, I love these community/dev collaborations.

• New update is great, this app keeps getting better and better :)

• @cem_olcay There's still an insane amount of note offs when 'gate' is not 1.00...

• You are on fire! Look forward to all new features being added. Tons of fun are imminent.

• Thanks for a brilliant update @cem_olcay !

• This has become a wonderful generative midi processor app! Just two Stepbuds (as AUv3's in AUM, apeMatrix or AB), with one transposing (with probability settings on each step) the other, can create a very, very nice evolving midi stream of notes to whatever synth(s) you like. Apart from CC messages, et cetera... Thank you, @cem_olcay !

• edited April 2019

This plus Autony, ooooo the possibilities. I won't be able to play with until after werk.

• As everybody else says, sterling work fella.

It's wonderfully simple to work to get things up and running, but delve a little deeper and beautiful complexity is your reward. It's also capable of filthy funkiness ala Intellijel Metropolis. Looking forward to getting this hooked up to a BCR2000 as it's begging to be controlled by hardware.

• Great update!

@Samu said:
    @cem_olcay There's still an insane amount of note offs when 'gate' is not 1.00...

With a Midi monitor, it's easy to see that the shorter the gate time, and the slower the rate, StepBud sends more Note Offs than are required. In the photo below, StepBud doesn't stop sending Note Offs until the next Midi event. And that's with each Note On message. Plus the 127 Note Ons at Host Stop. These issues are causing synths to crash. Thanks.

• I just realized I hadn't bought this app at launch and that I was using the beta version still. Solved that immediately by sending a hard working dev a small pittance against what he's putting into it. Speaking of which, while I was in the app store, I noted only 2 ratings and 1 review. Surely we can do something about that?

• @ocelot said:
    Great update!

@Samu said:
    @cem_olcay There's still an insane amount of note offs when 'gate' is not 1.00...

With a Midi monitor, it's easy to see that the shorter the gate time, and the slower the rate, StepBud sends more Note Offs than are required. In the photo below, StepBud doesn't stop sending Note Offs until the next Midi event. And that's with each Note On message. Plus the 127 Note Ons at Host Stop. These issues are causing synths to crash. Thanks.

Glad that someone else bumped into this as well ;)

Let's just put it this way that it doesn't just make 'software synths' crash.
    I have to physically power-cycle both my UNOSynth and Volca Bass after the load of note-offs...

• @ocelot OK, I just figured out what's causing that problem. I'll submit another update quickly, don't worry 😅
    @lukesleepwalker yeah, ratings and reviews are much appreciated 🙏

• Ouch, I've broken plenty of passive Midi thru boxes that way. Would hate to see it happen to a synth.

@Samu said:
    Glad that someone else bumped into this as well ;)

Let's just put it this way that it doesn't just make 'software synths' crash.
    I have to physically power-cycle both my UNOSynth and Volca Bass after the load of note-offs...

• @cem_olcay the changing MIDI root isn't exactly what I was expecting. Not saying it isn't cool, because it is unexpected and creates interesting patterns as a result. But I was thinking that you could lock the root note and key and that the incoming notes would transpose the receiving pattern within the locked key. What you have going now is interesting because the key is constantly shifting but it leaves behind the possibility of creating a more linear set of sequences in a given key. Make sense?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @cem_olcay the changing MIDI root isn't exactly what I was expecting. Not saying it isn't cool, because it is unexpected and creates interesting patterns as a result. But I was thinking that you could lock the root note and key and that the incoming notes would transpose the receiving pattern within the locked key. What you have going now is interesting because the key is constantly shifting but it leaves behind the possibility of creating a more linear set of sequences in a given key. Make sense?

Playback Transpose is a better solution and avoids 'screwing up' the original sequence...

• @cem_olcay I really like the idea of @reasOne to add a start/stop button.

And thanks for the fantastic support!

• @Samu said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @cem_olcay the changing MIDI root isn't exactly what I was expecting. Not saying it isn't cool, because it is unexpected and creates interesting patterns as a result. But I was thinking that you could lock the root note and key and that the incoming notes would transpose the receiving pattern within the locked key. What you have going now is interesting because the key is constantly shifting but it leaves behind the possibility of creating a more linear set of sequences in a given key. Make sense?

Playback Transpose is a better solution and avoids 'screwing up' the original sequence...

I haven't played with the existing transpose to work out what I think, but my early impressions are that if it's at all possible to have a simple Playback Transpose and the existing solution, both approaches have their advantages.

However, if I had to pick one it would be a simple Playback Transpose as that's such a key universal workflow for a step sequencer of this nature.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I just realized I hadn't bought this app at launch and that I was using the beta version still. Solved that immediately by sending a hard working dev a small pittance against what he's putting into it. Speaking of which, while I was in the app store, I noted only 2 ratings and 1 review. Surely we can do something about that?

Done.

@cem_olcay kicking ass and taking names.

• You can get some really natural sounding swing by applying the master fader to get it approximately right and then tweak individual steps so they vary slightly. Very niiiiiiiice.

• @jonmoore said:
    As well as the general article on swing in Attack magazine, there's a separate interview with Roger Linn that's a really useful read. It dispels many of the myths that circulate around the music tech community and provides extra detail as to why his approach to swing works so well.

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/interview/roger-linn-swing-groove-magic-mpc-timing/

@jonmoore That is the BEST info I've ever come across regarding swing, groove + MPC timing. A history lesson that all beatmakers should be aware of. Thank you for the link.

• I am running into a weird situation with the new version. At some point, when adding steps, the vertical scaling changes. See the screenshot and pay attention to the note names. This is chromatic up and down, but you’ll notice that the vertical step positions are very different for descending steps. This seemed to happen for the first note I added after B3.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    You can get some really natural sounding swing by applying the master fader to get it approximately right and then tweak individual steps so they vary slightly. Very niiiiiiiice.

How the hexk does one accomplish this? Sounds fun

• edited May 2019

@reasOne said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    You can get some really natural sounding swing by applying the master fader to get it approximately right and then tweak individual steps so they vary slightly. Very niiiiiiiice.

I think you just lock the even steps then use the master fader control ( in Copy mode) to apply swing (the same amount to all the odd steps) and then adjust each odd step one by one so they are slightly different. You could then use the master fader control (in Shift mode) to adjust more or less swing (for the odd steps), keeping your individual adjustments intact (relatively). Sorry for the confusing description.

• @royor said:

@reasOne said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I think you just lock the even steps then use the master fader control ( in Copy mode) to apply swing (the same amount to all the odd steps) and then adjust each odd step one by one so they are slightly different. You could then use the master fader control (in Shift mode) to adjust more or less swing (for the odd steps), keeping your individual adjustments intact (relatively). Sorry for the confusing description.

Never thought of that... Good idea

• Getting a load of stuck notes with KqDixie and StepBud, is that something this update will fix? :)

@cem_olcay said:
    @ocelot OK, I just figured out what's causing that problem. I'll submit another update quickly, don't worry 😅

• @Carnbot said:
    Getting a load of stuck notes with KqDixie and StepBud, is that something this update will fix? :)

@cem_olcay said:
    @ocelot OK, I just figured out what's causing that problem. I'll submit another update quickly, don't worry 😅

My guess is that the stuck notes are caused by the gate being set at 1.00 which effectively ties it to the next step which is a handy feature for some use-cases...
    If the gate is not set to 1.00 we get loads of note-off messages splattered all over the place :)

I do hope the next update will fix this.