Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sequencing with Modstep, how to add/sync audio tracks

I‘m a musician for well over twenty years (bass and guitar mainly) but only recently entered the joys of synthesizer sequencing. I started off with Korg Volcas but soon realized that their 16-step-sequencer is not enough for my growing musical needs.
After some research I decided to go the iPad-path (computer-DAWs are no option) and ended up with Modstep. Despite its rather steep learning curve I'm quite happy with it so far. It sequences my Volca Beats, Bass and FM nicely, I like the way it handles tracks and scenes and the easy way to chain everything together.

Now as a bass and guitar player I would like to add some audio tracks and that's where I can't figure out how. What would I need to do that?
I'm quite new to audiobus, IAA and AUv3. Some time ago I played around with Loopy, I don't like the donut-GUI very much but would that be an option? How would I sync Modstep and Loopy together?

My gear:

• Volca Beats
  • Volca Bass
  • Volca FM
  • Arturia Keystep
  • Zoom U-24
  • Miditech MidiThru/Filter
  • iPad

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• edited April 2019

Modstep and Loopy both support MIDI Clock Sync in both directions so this would be my first choice.
    If possible, let Loopy be the clock master (to avoid time stretching audio when BPM changes)

If Cubasis MIDI Clock output would finally be fixed (What's the status @LFS?) it would be an option too but as it is now it will drift apart at each loop cycle with any other app, so unfortunately I can't recommend syncing it with Modstep.

Auria might be better in this regard, but I haven't tried.

• As I said before - I'm new to this. In order to get to work Loopy with Modstep I would have to use Audiobus to chain them together or is there another way? Modstep supports AU-instruments, so wouldn't a looper like Enso Looper be the easier choice? I'm kind of lost here ...

• Getting Audio Damage Enso is the route I'd recommend. Enso is far more like a traditional tape looper and that means it can be set up so that the signal slowly degrades over time. Unfortunately, Enso doesn't show up directly in ModStep so you'll need to use AUM or apeMatrix to host Enso within ModStep.

There's a major benefit of using AUM or apeMatrix to host Enso and that's that they both feature Ableton Link which is by far the best method for rock-solid syncing to other apps and external hardware. Not sure if you already have this free Korg utility but if not you should install Korg SyncKontrol as this enables your Volca hardware to sync via Ableton Link too. BTW Ableton Link as a standalone standard, you don't have to be running Ableton Live on the desktop to make use of it.

AUM is the more expensive of the two utilities and far more intuitive to use but apeMatrix offers far more creative routing options and is significantly cheaper. The downside of apeMatrix is that the learning curve is steeper (however there are plenty of YT videos available to help you with the learning curve). In the long run, it's advisable to own AudioBus, apeMatrix and AUM, as they each have specific strengths but in the short run pick one and learn it's capabilities well. It's worth the effort.

Looking at your specific setup I think you made the right decision to go with ModStep as your hub. It's in development stasis at the moment whilst we wait for ModStep 2 but it's great at what it does.

Here's a great in-depth video on Enso.

• @jonmoore said:
    Getting Audio Damage Enso is the route I'd recommend. Enso is far more like a traditional tape looper and that means it can be set up so that the signal slowly degrades over time. Unfortunately, Enso doesn't show up directly in ModStep so you'll need to use AUM or apeMatrix to host Enso within ModStep.

There's a major benefit of using AUM or apeMatrix to host Enso and that's that they both feature Ableton Link which is by far the best method for rock-solid syncing to other apps and external hardware. Not sure if you already have this free Korg utility but if not you should install Korg SyncKontrol as this enables your Volca hardware to sync via Ableton Link too. BTW Ableton Link as a standalone standard, you don't have to be running Ableton Live on the desktop to make use of it.

AUM is the more expensive of the two utilities and far more intuitive to use but apeMatrix offers far more creative routing options and is significantly cheaper. The downside of apeMatrix is that the learning curve is steeper (however there are plenty of YT videos available to help you with the learning curve). In the long run, it's advisable to own AudioBus, apeMatrix and AUM, as they each have specific strengths but in the short run pick one and learn it's capabilities well. It's worth the effort.

Looking at your specific setup I think you made the right decision to go with ModStep as your hub. It's in development stasis at the moment whilst we wait for ModStep 2 but it's great at what it does.

Here's a great in-depth video on Enso.

There are currently downsides to Enso which is a great plug:

• if you want to seamlessly go from recording one track to the next, Loopy is far easier to use . One instance puts 8+ tracks at your disposal set up to auto advance from slot to slot as you record. You can change the loop multiple for each recording from AB's floating palette. The workflow is very smooth
    • Enso is a bit unstable for many when there are more than two or three instances
    • Loopy can time stretch the loops if you change tempo. Enso only does tape-style time/pitch alteration.
    • Loopy's time and sync is rock solid. (Btw, while Ableton link is very solid , if is not correct that it is necessarily the tightest of all sync methods. But AB3 has link. So it can be used if that is the pref)
    • Enso can be a little prone to clicks at loop points.

Don't get me wrong. As a tape looper, ENDO is a great plug. For co-ordinated tracks -- a mini MultiTrack-- Loopy+AB3 is,in my opinion, a better tool.

• @espiegel123 said:

Don't get me wrong. As a tape looper, ENDO is a great plug. For co-ordinated tracks -- a mini MultiTrack-- Loopy+AB3 is,in my opinion, a better tool.

I agree as a co-ordinated tape loop Loopy is great and rock solid. Enso is a true tape style looper which means it stays true to the way tape works (no time stretching). For a recent remix, I had 4 instances of Enso running in apeMatrix with various routing fx shenanigans it didn't skip a heartbeat. That was using a second gen iPad pro and the loops were no more than 4 bars.

It's horses for courses. Loopy HD has been around forever and all its kinks have been smoothed by @Michael 's careful attention. And I believe that Michael recommends Ableton Link too (no matter, it's always worked best for me). Enso, on the other hand is the new kid on the block with a few kinks in the works, but it is unique in it's approach to looping in that it's a very Eno/Fripp type tool. I'm also certain that AD will issue a few updates in the coming months to smooth the kinks out.

Personally, I use Loopy HD and Enso in tandem as they each have their own strengths and weakness but luckily they compliment each other nicely. To get the most from them in a setup mixing hardware with apps, get busy with the MIDI hardware assignments they're both great from this perspective.

• @jonmoore: as I said. I love Enso. I use it a lot (frippertonics like stuff). But if I were using something as companion for adding audio clips, I'd find Loopy more convenient.

• Thank you for your replies.
    I’m still confused: with Enso Looper, even though it’s a AU-plugin, I still need a hosting app like apeMatrix or AUM (why is that?).
    For Loopy I would need Audiobus and no hosting app (why?) or am I mistaken? Or could I use Audiobus for Enso, too?

Thank you for the tip with Ableton Link, I just managed to link Modstep and Loopy with it, worked out of the box. I’ll do some testing and get back to you.

The idea of being able to use a looper within Modstep without having to switch apps back and forth during the performance is quite appealing to me, as I understand that’s only possible with AU-plugins. Or am I wrong?

As you can see I still don’t understand the concept of IAA very well, let alone audio routing and whatnot. After all I’m a musician not a technician, any tips where I can find good tutorials would be highly appreciated!

• Enso is a music effect AU which has midi input, unfortunately Modstep doesn't support these yet and hasn't been updated for quite a while. Hopefully Modstep 2 will come out this year which will address this. For me, Modstep works best as a midi sequencer as the other hosts such as AUM/apeMatrix and Audiobus 3 are more capable as Audio/midi routing hosts.

• Generally think the above solutions are probably more elegant, but when I was new to iPad and using Modstep I just used the internal sampler for the audio tracks we needed to add. The big downsides to that of course are it isn't something you can use on the fly and there is not timestretching in Modstep now. But we were mostly looking for a midi sequencer and just realized there were a couple longer audio samples we needed to incorporate.

• @CoogLFish
    I recommend you read this relatively new article by Francis Preve, published last October in Electronic Musician, as it provides a decent overview of all the different protocols and standards you're likely to encounter as a musician using an iPad as part of your musical output.

It's relatively in-depth but written with a clear communication style. I have a feeling it should answer many of your questions.

https://www.emusician.com/how-to/how-to-integrate-ios-devices-into-your-studio-setup

• @CoogLFish, your wish to stay inside Modstep without switching apps is sound, but in practice it can be problematic with Modstep. As you’ve already read, certain things aren’t currently supported (i.e. Enso). Many, myself included, have had stability issues when Modstep is hosting apps. These have been so bad for me in the past that I gave up hosting apps in Modstep at all. Lastly, maybe not importantly for you, but Modstep doesn’t have some basic things, such as mixer sends and panning.

So one answer is to consider Modstep for what it’s especially good at, midi sequencing, and leave the hosting to other apps. Many people prefer AUM for this. I prefer AudioBus. Modstep loads easily into AudioBus, and gives you the fantastic AudioBus toolbar for super easy control and switching between apps. It’s not nearly as painful as it sounds switching from app to app with that toolbar. And, you have transport control over most apps from that toolbar, and a global “start” button.

As for looping audio ... Enso is good as long as you don’t need time stretch and as long as you can work within its memory constraints. You don’t get a lot of time or number of loops within those contstraints. Loopy does time stretch, doesn’t have those memory limitations, and has great integration with AudioBus.

Another option you may want to look at is Stagelight. Stagelight has both midi and audio looping in one Modstep like interface. It hosts AU plugins (but not IAA). And it adds a timeline for when you want to turn a set of loops into a structured song. It’s not as feature rich midi-wise as Modstep, but it’s a really streamlined alternative.

Lastly, GarageBand. If you haven’t checked out the Live Loops feature, you owe it to yourself to do so. Its ability to launch midi and audio clips is outstanding. And, it’s free.

• @jonmoore, thank you for the article. It‘s an interesting read but focuses on integrating the iPad into a computer-DAW-environment, something I don’t and won’t do. I’m still looking for a beginner guide for audio routing, IAA and such.
    @wim, thanks for the GarageBand-tip. I used GarageBand from its first version on the Mac and also the iOS-versions from the beginning. I like the ease-of-use, but what it seriously lacks is MIDI out, so using it for my hardware-gear is not possible. I tried RouteMIDI, it works alright with my Volca Bass and FM, but for my Beats it’s a PITA ... Or am I doing it all wrong?

I will try Stagelight, maybe this is what I was looking for.

Another option I was considering is to get a looper pedal with MIDI and avoid all these Audiobus/IAA/AU complications. I own a Boss RC-300, and while I like it a lot for guitar/bass/voice looping it doesn’t sync very well with my other gear as it only works as MIDI master. I was looking into the tc electronic ditto x4, which works as a slave and could be the solution to my specific issues.

• @CoogLFish said:
    @wim, thanks for the GarageBand-tip. I used GarageBand from its first version on the Mac and also the iOS-versions from the beginning. I like the ease-of-use, but what it seriously lacks is MIDI out, so using it for my hardware-gear is not possible. I tried RouteMIDI, it works alright with my Volca Bass and FM, but for my Beats it’s a PITA ... Or am I doing it all wrong?

I will try Stagelight, maybe this is what I was looking for.

Another option I was considering is to get a looper pedal with MIDI and avoid all these Audiobus/IAA/AU complications. I own a Boss RC-300, and while I like it a lot for guitar/bass/voice looping it doesn’t sync very well with my other gear as it only works as MIDI master. I was looking into the tc electronic ditto x4, which works as a slave and could be the solution to my specific issues.

Eh. I forgot about GarageBand not having midi out. Sorry on that one.

Stagelight may or may not work for midi out on iOS at this time. I can’t say specifically, but I seem to remember having read that. Sorry, but I don’t have a way to test.

I didn’t mention another favorite option of mine - Xequence, because it’s not really a looper based interface, but a linear sequencer. However, there are actually some nice loop capabilities in that you can set up patterns to loop indefinitely. I don’t think it’s exactly what you’re looking for, but IMO it’s the best overall midi sequencer on iOS. It’s outstanding as a midi clock master. It does follow midi clock well, but pauses a few beats during tempo changes, if that’s an issue.

Good luck!

• @CoogLFish I linked to that specific article as it gave a nice overview of the protocols and standards on iOS, not the fact that it was written from the perspective of desktop integration. You'll find it hard to find an up to date guide that only covers your specific goals.

If there's one metaphor that describes iOS audio, it's that it's very much a case of constantly shifting sands. I wouldn't describe this as a problem, it's just the nature of its nascent technologies. I think those of us that have been following it closely since it's earliest days sometimes take this for granted and forget that it can appear a bit of a minefield for those new to the platform.

Midi clock has bane the bane of computer musicians life for as long as I remember. Even in all hardware setups things would drift and skip without explanation. And iOS is only just finding its feet with regards to sync technologies. This is part of the reason that you'll get 'x' different answers to questions related to sync.

Having reflected on the things you've said in various posts and with ease of use in mind, I think @rs2000's original recommendation of Loopy HD and AudioBus (with ModStep) would seem the best fit. The AudioBus documentation is fantastic and this will help you find your feet with the different integration technologies iOS offers. And although Loopy's interface may look simplistic it's very powerful. It just happens that @Michael, Loopy's developer (who's also responsible for AudioBus) has a great knack for reigning in complexity, in a manner that doesn't sacrifice utility or power. I forgot that Loopy HD added Ableton Link in a recent-ish update too so that will keep things locked in step with your Volca's.

I think this recommendation will offer the best value too. The thing that you'll need to experiment with is whether you make ModStep the base hub or AudioBus (it can be set up either way), and this is something that will be very dependent on your personal workflow and preferences.

In the meantime, here's a link to the AudioBus 3 documentation.

https://audiob.us/help

• Thanks @jonmoore!

Speaking of MIDI clock, AB 3.4 currently in late beta has MIDI clock support; I'm aiming for a best-in-class implementation, so it should be pretty good at both ends, and it brings Link and IAA sync along with it so you can map from one to the other.