Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cality by Abigail Macfarlane

12346»

Comments

• @CracklePot said:

@Svetlovska said:
    Hi all,
    Loving all three of the Pagefall apps at the mo. There is one thing that would make Cality and Autony really rock for me though, and even though I realise it was addressed by the dev earlier in this thread and rejected, I thought I’d give it a seconding anyway, just in case. I live in hope!

Firstly let me say the simplicity and tweakability of the Pagefall apps is what they are all about for me, so I totally get not overburdening them with complexity. (And I surely don’t have the technical chops to roll my own solution in Mosaic).

With that out of the way, these are the most musical generative tools I’ve found so far, except... if I automate the Chord knobs using something like a Rozeta LFO, I have no option but to sweep through all the chord shapes, when, mostly, I’d want something like 1,3,5. Would it be possible to assign a MIDI cc toggle to each shape individually? Or even add an on/off switch for each, so I could select which ones I want triggered? Happy to offload all sequencing/triggering duties to another app, just need a way to access each shape directly...

Try using something that outputs step locked CC, instead of an LFO.
    Using Perforator CC output, I can jump to and hold any chords, or no chord (off) in Cality.

But the longest phrase in Perforator is about 4 bars or so, so you may need to find a different app if you need longer phrases or pattern switching. Perforator may be able to switch presets like patterns in real-time, but I have never tried that.

Stepbud?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@Svetlovska said:
    Hi all,
    Loving all three of the Pagefall apps at the mo. There is one thing that would make Cality and Autony really rock for me though, and even though I realise it was addressed by the dev earlier in this thread and rejected, I thought I’d give it a seconding anyway, just in case. I live in hope!

Firstly let me say the simplicity and tweakability of the Pagefall apps is what they are all about for me, so I totally get not overburdening them with complexity. (And I surely don’t have the technical chops to roll my own solution in Mosaic).

With that out of the way, these are the most musical generative tools I’ve found so far, except... if I automate the Chord knobs using something like a Rozeta LFO, I have no option but to sweep through all the chord shapes, when, mostly, I’d want something like 1,3,5. Would it be possible to assign a MIDI cc toggle to each shape individually? Or even add an on/off switch for each, so I could select which ones I want triggered? Happy to offload all sequencing/triggering duties to another app, just need a way to access each shape directly...

Using Perforator CC output, I can jump to and hold any chords, or no chord (off) in Cality.

But the longest phrase in Perforator is about 4 bars or so, so you may need to find a different app if you need longer phrases or pattern switching. Perforator may be able to switch presets like patterns in real-time, but I have never tried that.

Stepbud?

Was thinking same. Midi generator modulating another midi generator. 🤔😏

• @auxmux said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@CracklePot said:

@Svetlovska said:
    Hi all,

Stepbud?

Was thinking same. Midi generator modulating another midi generator. 🤔😏

Yup. That’ll do.

If you do use one of these apps, just know that you have to play around with the 0-127 range to find the right values for the chords you want to use.

• Hi Cracklepot and Jocphone, and thanks both for your suggestions :) I have both apps (Perforator & Mosaic) already, and don’t mind admitting I am currently enjoying a non techies free lunch on all that new Mosaic goodness, so this is all looking very positive... Hadn’t realised Perforator could work that way either, btw. That’s why I love this forum. I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to try them out. Thanks again!

• Auxmux and sleepwalker - thanks for those thoughts too. I don’t have Stepbud, but I’ll take a look after I try the other two excellent suggestions.

• edited August 2019

If mosaic does the trick that's great - I still can't think a neat way of doing this UI wise (well not as an addition to the current app anyway)

I did originally have the idea of a little sequencer in one of these apps - bit like the Buchla easel - I suspect it's an idea that will show up in something one day

@auxmux said:
    Midi generator modulating another midi generator. 🤔😏

whistles innocently and quickly hides the code I'm working on

• you do know you can use midi notes on the chord midi channel (set on the midi page) to switch chords?

C->B (white notes) represent chords I->VII

• @pagefall said:
    If mosaic does the trick that's great - I still can't think a neat way of doing this UI wise (well not as an addition to the current app anyway)

I did originally have the idea of a little sequencer in one of these apps - bit like the Buchla easel - I suspect it's an idea that will show up in something one day

@auxmux said:
    Midi generator modulating another midi generator. 🤔😏

whistles innocently and quickly hides the code I'm working on

Ohhhhhh. Definitely want!

• @pagefall said:
    you do know you can use midi notes on the chord midi channel (set on the midi page) to switch chords?

How would a person know such a thing? Is there a manual I am missing?

• @Jocphone said:

@pagefall said:
    you do know you can use midi notes on the chord midi channel (set on the midi page) to switch chords?

hmm yes - agreed. still haven't written that yet. it is on my todo list :-(

• @pagefall said:

@Jocphone said:

@pagefall said:

hmm yes - agreed. still haven't written that yet. it is on my todo list :-(

That would be brilliant. I'm using Cality a lot lately and getting some great results but I can't help feeling that I might be happier knowing what some of the knobs are supposed to do.

Then again, it is a bit of a big mystery machine..

• @Jocphone said:

That would be brilliant. I'm using Cality a lot lately and getting some great results but I can't help feeling that I might be happier knowing what some of the knobs are supposed to do.

at the moment my work life is complex - there is a potentially very good thing that might happen which will free me up to work almost exclusively on music stuff for a while and there is the wolf at the door (or less prosaically rent & bills that need paying) meantime which is meaning working on other peoples stuff.... so not making any promises but hopefully will get to it sooner rather than later

• @pagefall said:

@Jocphone said:

at the moment my work life is complex - there is a potentially very good thing that might happen which will free me up to work almost exclusively on music stuff for a while and there is the wolf at the door (or less prosaically rent & bills that need paying) meantime which is meaning working on other peoples stuff.... so not making any promises but hopefully will get to it sooner rather than later

I fully understand, having worked freelance for a couple of decades. The manual can wait. I'm having a ball playing with it as is.

And when you do get to it. A line or two for each knob would be plenty. It doesn't need to be War and Peas. :dizzy:

• @pagefall said:

Actually, no, I did not know that :) But now that I do, I think I have the most direct way to address the issue. Thanks! What I have found useful in understanding how the knobs work, which I’d recommend to anyone, is load up a simple one note sequence - I use a solid 16 beats of ‘bass drum’ in Rozeta XOX - set that going and use that as the source into Cality, Autony or Ioniarics, or chained variations thereof, then out to a clean poly app sound, like a KQ Dixie piano to hear the result as I tweak a knob at a time. I do the same thing getting my head round some of the weird and wonderful Mosaic scripts too.

• @pagefall Currently I can't get Cality to work in Audiobus. I've tried removing and reinstalling it. Also tried reinstalling audiobus. Nothing works.

I'm on an Air 2, IOS13. Anyone else seen this?

• edited October 2019

Might be better to send the developer an email @cian

• @pagefall
    Hi,

None of the text is visible on iOS 13 when dark mode is enabled for both Cality and Autony.

• Last update broke up an app
    Plz fix

• _ki_ki
    edited April 2020

@pagefall

The ‚missing texts bug’ for Caility and Autony AU happens with IOS 13.2.3 for AUM, Cubasis, AuriaPro and BeatMaker 3 - but not for apeMatrix.

The ‚not updated‘ Ionarics still shows its texts

• Let’s not forget this GEM... whilst we await ATOM 2..

Just beautiful... Cality.. Thank You..

• @_ki said:
    @pagefall

The ‚missing texts bug’ for Caility and Autony AU happens with IOS 13.2.3 for AUM, Cubasis, AuriaPro and BeatMaker 3 - but not for apeMatrix.

The ‚not updated‘ Ionarics still shows its texts

Sorry for digging out that granny...
    Did this ever got addressed?

• @MrBlaschke Cality AU and Autony AU both show their texts, they both had been updated in April and Mai.

• @_ki said:
    @MrBlaschke Cality AU and Autony AU both show their texts, they both had been updated in April and Mai.

Thank you @_ki

• I can’t find the Minor Pentatonic scale in here. Am I blind?

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I can’t find the Minor Pentatonic scale in here. Am I blind?

It's not there - it isn't in Autony either.