Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Switch between apps using MIDI controller

124»

Comments

• Switching apps with midi, would be a key feature to streamline using the ipad as a keyboard, with a midi controller. Having a bunch of synths loaded up in audiobus, each on their own midi channel, and just switch channels on the keyboard to change your sound. The app switching with midi would mean you'd be able to hit a button on the keyboard, and be able to edit your synth sound on the ipad.

Some midi keyboards have the ability to fire a midi program change message, at the same time that you switch presets on the keyboard, so you could set it up to switch midi channel to a different synth on the ipad, and switch the app on the ipad screen at the same time. Slick!

• AUM + Midiflow until Mainstage come to iOS...

• I use the akai mpk249. You can program any button to send keyboard commands such as command + tab. It’s very useful for switching between apps or going to the launcher page.

• @ion677 said:
    I use the akai mpk249. You can program any button to send keyboard commands such as command + tab. It’s very useful for switching between apps or going to the launcher page.

Fast forward to 2020.

Is there a way to convert midi to keyboard commands on the iPad (e.g., CC to trigger command+tab) ? Or is there a way to have a midi message trigger a specific app to the foreground?

This would be great for example if you normally have an app like Dream Foot in the foreground that is used to trigger chords via foot switch, but maybe at times you want to switch to something like OnSong if you forgot the chords for the song, then be able to switch back to Dream Foot by sending the same command again.

• @kevin627 said:

@ion677 said:
    I use the akai mpk249. You can program any button to send keyboard commands such as command + tab. It’s very useful for switching between apps or going to the launcher page.

Fast forward to 2020.

Is there a way to convert midi to keyboard commands on the iPad (e.g., CC to trigger command+tab) ? Or is there a way to have a midi message trigger a specific app to the foreground?

This would be great for example if you normally have an app like Dream Foot in the foreground that is used to trigger chords via foot switch, but maybe at times you want to switch to something like OnSong if you forgot the chords for the song, then be able to switch back to Dream Foot by sending the same command again.

AUM in its midi controls has an option for TOGGLE
    I’m sure other scripting (Mozaic, midifire, streambyter) environments and daws might have similar.

• @audiblevideo said:

@kevin627 said:

@ion677 said:

Fast forward to 2020.

I’m sure other scripting (Mozaic, midifire, streambyter) environments and daws might have similar.

Thanks. I have AUM but don't use it for live performance. I wonder if there is any other way. I remember there was something in iOS that allows MIDI messages to trigger a series of actions in Accessibility. Maybe something to try.

• @kevin627 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@kevin627 said:

@ion677 said:

Fast forward to 2020.

Thanks. I have AUM but don't use it for live performance. I wonder if there is any other way. I remember there was something in iOS that allows MIDI messages to trigger a series of actions in Accessibility. Maybe something to try.

Audiobus also lets you change apps via MIDI Trigger

• @kevin627 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@kevin627 said:

@ion677 said:

Fast forward to 2020.

Indeed, I've done that a few times but you're limited to controlling finger gestures.
    Whatever can be controlled with your finger(s) can also be triggered by MIDI notes.Switching between 2 apps is no problem - Switching to a specific app only if the order of launched apps remains the same (4-finger swipe left or right).

• @rs2000 said:

@kevin627 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@kevin627 said:

@ion677 said:

Fast forward to 2020.

Indeed, I've done that a few times but you're limited to controlling finger gestures.
    Whatever can be controlled with your finger(s) can also be triggered by MIDI notes.Switching between 2 apps is no problem - Switching to a specific app only if the order of launched apps remains the same (4-finger swipe left or right).

You could also try Audiobus Remote