Switch between apps using MIDI controller

13

Comments

  • edited February 2017 Vote Up0

    @hellquist said:

    @Dubbylabby said:
    Midiflow?

    Well, with (the most awesome) MidiFlow you can indeed switch between apps as far as midi signals go, and if you've created your set-up cunningly that could dictate where the audio comes from too of course. However, I think he is asking for switching what app that is "in front" (visible, or in focus) of the actual iPad screen though.

    I'm not sure but could Midiflow make keystrokes from midi input like BMT?

    http://www.midiflow.com/documentation/#controller-remapping-individual

    http://www.midiflow.com/documentation/#controller-remapping-special-controllers-message

    Message could include "cmd" and "tab" messages?

    Edit: it seems not cappable so it should need a dedicated keystroke app (maybe touchOSC or Lemur could handle keys?) but about backgound and midiflow here is the answer:
    http://www.midiflow.com/documentation/#background-mode

    This?
    http://ipadloops.com/tag/omac-using-midi-to-switch-between-apps-remotely/

    Neither...
    http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/83/switch-apps-using-midi-controller

    An AudioBus remote isn't midi trigger input neither? It seemed trivial to me at first look but not really in the reality out of my mind f##k!

  • edited February 2017 Vote Up0

    Reading again the last page it seems a circular non solved problem from years...

    and even bomebox seems not a solution...

    https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

    From the faq:
    Which features of MIDI Translator Pro are available in the BomeBox?

    It supports all features not related to a desktop computer: MIDI in/out, unlimited MIDI ports, MIDI routes, MIDI aliases, Rules, timers, enable/disable presets. Not supported is e.g. keystroke input or emulation, AppleScript, mouse emulation.

    So... maybe just hack a wifi keyboard (or usb) to attach it to a pedal? Is there a similar functionality for gamepads? Maybe these will easy to embed inside a controller...

    Another possible workaround could be a midi2cmdtab pd patch made in vainilla and loaded into mobmuplat... Can handle libpd these kind of messages or neither?

  • The keyboard command for app switching is Command + Tab, then while holding down Command, Tab will cycle through open apps.

    I would say that would be a very tricky BTkeyboard/ foot pedal hack.

  • Geez I thought that is what Audiobus remote was for?

    I use 2 ios devices for music and 1 for AB remote at all times these days so switching apps isn't a big concern.

  • @rustik I already use 3 iPads in my set up, can't make another iosdevuce Just for switching apps!

  • I would love this app switching feature. I am also incorporating two iPads at the moment as a kind of fix. But my current setup is only Lemur on one iPad and Modstep on another iPad. I will probably use more apps in the future though so a faster way of switching between apps would me much appreciated :)

  • Fabien, developer from TBstiff app just told me:

    you already can do it with the application OSCulator (http://www.osculator.net). It is a free app which can trig keyboard shorcuts from incoming MIDI pr OSC message (they call it "Key Combo" in their documentation."

    Can anybody try this?

    Thanks!

  • @ecce_cello Unless I'm completely missing something, OSCulator is a Mac OSX app, only...?

  • There's TouchOSC ... It may also do the same?

  • edited February 2017 Vote Up0

    I pointed TouchOSC route before but I'm not sure if it could handle key commands...
    OSCulator is more like midiflow but for OSC devices on OSX.

    It could be possible but not sure about send or recieve and targets.
    http://hexler.net/gfx/_docs/touchosc-editor-controls-properties2.png

  • edited February 2017 Vote Up0

    Just recieved an updates' mail from bome which this:

    NAMM News
    At the NAMM Show in Anaheim, we’ve shown early versions of a couple of new features for MIDI Translator Pro:

    OSC actions: use OSC input and output actions in MT Pro projects for translating OSC to and from MIDI, or to mouse/keystrokes or even other OSC
    OSC Router: create flexible OSC routings for multiple OSC apps
    Improved MIDI Router: create routes from MIDI Output ports to another Output (duplicate MIDI output streams), from Input to Input (duplicate incoming MIDI data as if it comes from another port, too), or from Output to Input (feed it back to the router and the processing engine). This will facilitate many connection issues!
    Improved Serial Ports: your serial port settings are now stored in the project file, and the MIDI-over-serial feature has been greatly improved.
    The best thing is: all these new features will also come to the BomeBox with a firmware upgrade! At NAMM, we’ve shown a smartphone running TouchOSC directly connected to the BomeBox via its built-in WiFi, where we’ve been running an MT Pro project translating the OSC messages to MIDI, and playing a synthesizer connected via 5-pin DIN. No computer necessary for your performance!

    Also, we will post an interim update of MT Pro to fix a few compatibility issues with macOS “Sierra” 10.12.

    I made a few questions at their fb page so when they answer I will bring facts about if it's possible or not with bomebox ;)

  • Audiobus remote works fine for me

  • I can't afford another iosdevice on stage just to switch apps. Also I don't use Audiobus on stage (since my ucxFireface audio card supports hardware bus routing). Hopefully one day this will be possible!!

  • Second problem I can't comment on but Audiobus Remote does work great in slide over mode. I use it like that often. Do wish that I could get rid of the other triggers in slide over mode and just have nice big fast switching buttons instead though.

  • @OscarSouth said:
    Second problem I can't comment on but Audiobus Remote does work great in slide over mode. I use it like that often. Do wish that I could get rid of the other triggers in slide over mode and just have nice big fast switching buttons instead though.

    Yes, Sebastian this is a good idea actually.

    Can we edit which controls we want visible in AB remote?

    I often have a mess of shit and buttons I never use on some apps wasting space.

  • edited February 2017 Vote Up0

    @RustiK said:

    @OscarSouth said:
    Second problem I can't comment on but Audiobus Remote does work great in slide over mode. I use it like that often. Do wish that I could get rid of the other triggers in slide over mode and just have nice big fast switching buttons instead though.

    Yes, Sebastian this is a good idea actually.

    Can we edit which controls we want visible in AB remote?

    I often have a mess of shit and buttons I never use on some apps wasting space.

    I'd seriously love an 'app switching only in slide over mode' setting. I previously discussed it here (briefly) with @Sebastian. Maybe when Audiobus Remote gets a bit more attention in the future something like that could happen but I don't know and certainly wouldn't expect soon.

    It's still very convenient to access it in slide over mode, but the app switching icons and triggers are just too small and close together to be safely usable live in a situation where your attention is divided between different screens/controllers/instruments.

    My other comment on Audiobus Remote is that when you go back to full screen mode, if you've been using it in slide over then it takes a few seconds to 're-orient' itself. Maybe it's necessary due to OS restrictions or whatnot but it'd be better if it didn't do that ;)

  • @OscarSouth said:
    I'd seriously love an 'app switching only in slide over mode' setting.

    Build it yourself in MIDI Designer. The latest version has slide-over. And you can create buttons/pads that trigger an app switching URL!

  • edited February 2017 Vote Up0

    @Hmtx said:

    @OscarSouth said:
    I'd seriously love an 'app switching only in slide over mode' setting.

    Build it yourself in MIDI Designer. The latest version has slide-over. And you can create buttons/pads that trigger an app switching URL!

    App switching on same device only though, I'd assume?

  • And with MIDI designer in foreground. You could not switch between Loopy and BM2 or whatever. But only recall a given app from MIDI designer. Right?

  • That's right, you could use MIDI Designer on the same device with the slide-over function. I just tested this. I can be playing Animoog, then slide over midi designer and open Loopy HD. It works well.

    Does anybody remember what the URL line is for opening another app? Some of the "open app" commands inside midi designer are not working properly.

  • @Santosgera said:

    http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/20/ipad-keyboard-shortcuts-cheat-sheet/

    With the arrival of IOS 9 it is now possible to switch between the applications through a bluetooth keyboard: ( command+tab ).

    wow, I didn't know about that. Thanks.

  • @Hmtx said:
    That's right, you could use MIDI Designer on the same device with the slide-over function. I just tested this. I can be playing Animoog, then slide over midi designer and open Loopy HD. It works well.

    Does anybody remember what the URL line is for opening another app? Some of the "open app" commands inside midi designer are not working properly.

    That's definitely cool but not as useful as Audiobus Remote style switching from a different device (for myself anyway)

  • Gotcha, I thought you were asking about using slide-over on the same device.

  • Did someone ever proposed midi learn functionnality into Audiobus Remote bringing "go to app x" from a physical external midi button!

  • @Philippe said:
    Did someone ever proposed midi learn functionnality into Audiobus Remote bringing "go to app x" from a physical external midi button!

    Some did , but waiting for AB3 first. As soon AB remote gets midi ,I'll buy it

  • I'm having deja moo I think. Seem to remember this discussion back in 2013 when AB first came out.

  • @OscarSouth said:

    @Hmtx said:
    That's right, you could use MIDI Designer on the same device with the slide-over function. I just tested this. I can be playing Animoog, then slide over midi designer and open Loopy HD. It works well.

    Does anybody remember what the URL line is for opening another app? Some of the "open app" commands inside midi designer are not working properly.

    That's definitely cool but not as useful as Audiobus Remote style switching from a different device (for myself anyway)

    My idea on that score has always been to build a master controller in something like TB Midi Stuff or Lemur, that has all the controls I expect to use (and only those) for each app, then not to switch to the apps themselves, but control them from the master controller only. It always falls apart over not having bi-directional MIDI feedback from most apps.

    Nice how I took the time to post a solution that doesn't work eh? ;)

  • AB team has rejected any and all requests for letting MIDI anywhere near their code, so far, beyond v3 teasing. However any App built with Audeonics' MidiBus library has this capability. MidiBridge App has settings to associate MIDI messages with App switching in its App Selector Port dialog. You can see if ones you are interested in have this by running the littlemidi sequencer and looking at its list in the Fastswitch tab. Unfortunately the list is short, shorter than the Apps using the library, probably because because its an additional and simple couple of calls to set up hooks to implement it. Why that has been ignored I have no idea.

  • I don't suppose this function was added with Audiobus 3?

  • @BryanRTyler said:
    I don't suppose this function was added with Audiobus 3?

    Not yet, but there's some hope it might come in 3.1.

Sign In or Register to comment.