Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Decent cheap iOS-compatible MIDI controllers?

I'm looking at spending $100-200 USD (new) on a decent travel- or small-sized controller to use with my iPad. I can do either bluetooth or USB, and I'm looking for at least 18 key, 4+ knobs, and something that is nicely compatible with iOS synths and DAWs. Having pads, more knobs, modulation wheel, etc., would all be plusses. Any suggestions you can offer would be fantastic.

Comments

• KMI K-Board if you don't mind some non-standard controls.

• @Tarekith said:
    KMI K-Board if you don't mind some non-standard controls.

For travel, I’d have to agree. No knobs, though. You could try a Nanokey Pro, or a Novation Launchkey mini. I have all three. Many people love Nanokey pro, it feels a little plastic-y to me, but I bring it specifically for the knobs. The keys feel like ascii keyboard keys. The Launchkey has the most traditional feel and knobs, but is a little big in a hard case. It still fits in a backpack, though.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    The [Novation] Launchkey has the most traditional feel and knobs, but is a little big in a hard case. It still fits in a backpack, though.

Looking at that, it looks like exactly what I was hoping would exist. Now just to convince my better half to let me get it :smile:

• edited April 2019

Arturia minilab – small, good software bundle, knobs, pads, modstrip, $99

• M> @audiblevideo said:

16 knops and you can change midi channels directly on the fly. Very useful! 👍

• edited April 2019

Because the Arturia MiniLab is quite heavy for mobile use I prefer the KORG MicroKey Studio.
    It’s one of my Best Buy’s I ever did. I highly recommend this lite weight and very useful midi controller, 😊👍

• For the budget conscious!

• @chandroji said:
    M> @audiblevideo said:

16 knops and you can change midi channels directly on the fly. Very useful! 👍

Being able to change midi channel on the device can be a HUGE benefit and one that should not be overlooked....many of the smaller controllers require connection to a desktop to change MIDI channels.

• I can only recommend MiniLab Mk2. I use it with my Mac and iPad and it works amazing! Plus, you get some nice additional software (for Mac) with it for free!

• another idea would be to invest in a Sensel Morph. It's more expensive, but with the different layouts - and possibly self-created layouts - you get many controllers in one device. And it has Bluetooth too. When I get mine I can say more about it, but I'm quite sure it is a great controller for iOS musicians.

• I have the Minilab Mk2, Nanokey Studio and MicroKey Air. They are all great controllers. Depending on travel needs, I will pick one or 2 of them.

• @Phil999 said:
    another idea would be to invest in a Sensel Morph. It's more expensive, but with the different layouts - and possibly self-created layouts - you get many controllers in one device. And it has Bluetooth too. When I get mine I can say more about it, but I'm quite sure it is a great controller for iOS musicians.

I was about to make this suggestion, the Sensel Morph is a great device! The musician bundle is under $300 and gives you pads, knobs, ribbons, keys, drums you can play with sticks, and MPE capability like the Roli devices.
    The software also allows you do a lot more with it too...it’s essentially a giant pressure-sensitive customizable track pad.

The Korg NanoKey Studio is also a pretty handy controller that travels well. It has velocity sensitivity, keys, pads, knobs, XY pad, runs for hours of heavy use on 2 AAA batteries and it works great with Gadget and most DAW and synth apps.
    It’s a good value for $125 or less.

• @medgno said:
    I'm looking at spending $100-200 USD (new) on a decent travel- or small-sized controller to use with my iPad. I can do either bluetooth or USB, and I'm looking for at least 18 key, 4+ knobs, and something that is nicely compatible with iOS synths and DAWs. Having pads, more knobs, modulation wheel, etc., would all be plusses. Any suggestions you can offer would be fantastic.

If you are in Florida let me know we can talk!

Akai wireless is a good one.
    Livid minim is another I have.
    Launchkey mini

• Bumping this topic, with the minilab mk2 you only need the cck usb3 kit? Or is a powered usb hub necessary to power the controller?

• @Elvisthenrodent said:
    Bumping this topic, with the minilab mk2 you only need the cck usb3 kit? Or is a powered usb hub necessary to power the controller?

Either the older or the newer CCK on its own works fine with the Minilab 2, no need for hub or power.

• Great thanks.

@richardyot said:

@Elvisthenrodent said:
    Bumping this topic, with the minilab mk2 you only need the cck usb3 kit? Or is a powered usb hub necessary to power the controller?

Either the older or the newer CCK on its own works fine with the Minilab 2, no need for hub or power.

• Another Minilab 2 user here, great value controller, doesn’t have aftertouch though which is my only gripe, does the Korg one above have it?

• Irig keys 2.... I was not a fan of their earlier model, but this has been great

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeys2/?pkey=irig-keys-2

• @Jonah66 said:
    Another Minilab 2 user here, great value controller, doesn’t have aftertouch though which is my only gripe, does the Korg one above have it?

Velocity yes, aftertouch no. It must also be noted that the Bluetooth functionality is currently kaputt under iOS 13. Same goes for the equally versatile NanoKontrol Studio. USC with CCK works fine on both.

Korg is supposedly working on a fix, Fingers crossed.

• @hibjshop said:
    Irig keys 2.... I was not a fan of their earlier model, but this has been great

@hibjshop
    Is this device easy to use with non ik multimedia apps? I am full of doubt wich midi controller to order. You assign the knobs easily too knobs in synth apps?

• @Elvisthenrodent said:

@hibjshop said:

@hibjshop
    Is this device easy to use with non ik multimedia apps? I am full of doubt wich midi controller to order. You assign the knobs easily too knobs in synth apps?

Yes and yes. If your new to midi contollers you dont have to worry, you will probably go through quite a few just like the rest of us 😁

• That thought already came to mind i'm afraid. Just now i kicked off from guitars.

For a beginner, you advise fullsize keys?

@hibjshop said:

@Elvisthenrodent said:

@hibjshop said:

@hibjshop

Yes and yes. If your new to midi contollers you dont have to worry, you will probably go through quite a few just like the rest of us 😁

• Your going to get different advice from different people. You have to ask yourself what your needs are and how your going to use it.
    For example If your not a piano player, full size keys, aftertouch, etc will probably not matter to you.
    The good thing about midi controllers, most are inexpensive, so don’t be afraid to spend.

Check out the following companies: Novation, Korg, Akai, IKmultimedia, Nektar, Maudio.

• Just ordered the pro version, thanks for your replies.

@hibjshop said:
    Your going to get different advice from different people. You have to ask yourself what your needs are and how your going to use it.
    For example If your not a piano player, full size keys, aftertouch, etc will probably not matter to you.
    The good thing about midi controllers, most are inexpensive, so don’t be afraid to spend.

Check out the following companies: Novation, Korg, Akai, IKmultimedia, Nektar, Maudio.

• edited October 2019

Just received the keyboard, first thing i notice is that the keys are not aligned.

Is this normal?

And for the moment i can't seem to get sound without speakers attached.

• COSIGN TF OUTTA THIS.
    I think only people that have this already understand how powerful this is with the ability to edit each and every pad and rotary to it's separate midi channel and separate behaviour on either of 6 user customisable presets. And as @audiblevideo said, change keyboard midi channels on the fly. Perfect for controlling different apps at the same time.

@audiblevideo said:

• @Elvisthenrodent said:
    Just received the keyboard, first thing i notice is that the keys are not aligned.

Is this normal?

And for the moment i can't seem to get sound without speakers attached.

Re: the sound output.

Please tell us what all is connected to your iPad and the order it was connected.

• @Elvisthenrodent : does the headphone output on the unit work?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Elvisthenrodent : does the headphone output on the unit work?

Yes headphone out works fine, i was under the impression that when no headphones or speaker was connected the sound would come out of the iPad speakers.
    Is it normal to have a difference in height for some keys?

• @Elvisthenrodent said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Elvisthenrodent : does the headphone output on the unit work?

Yes headphone out works fine, i was under the impression that when no headphones or speaker was connected the sound would come out of the iPad speakers.
    Is it normal to have a difference in height for some keys?

Since, it is an audio interface as well as MIDI interface, I think that once it is plugged in, it is expected that the internal speaker output won't work on iOS since iOS uses the most recently started audio driver for output. You can contact their support. I have found them to be pretty responsive to support requests.

As for the keys, I don't know what sort of variance is usual. I have a different keyboard which has some minor variations -- but it spends a lot of time in a backpack. So, I don't know if it has always been like it is now. But it also has never bothered me.