Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Decent cheap iOS-compatible MIDI controllers?

I'm looking at spending $100-200 USD (new) on a decent travel- or small-sized controller to use with my iPad. I can do either bluetooth or USB, and I'm looking for at least 18 key, 4+ knobs, and something that is nicely compatible with iOS synths and DAWs. Having pads, more knobs, modulation wheel, etc., would all be plusses. Any suggestions you can offer would be fantastic.

Comments

  • KMI K-Board if you don't mind some non-standard controls.

  • @Tarekith said:
    KMI K-Board if you don't mind some non-standard controls.

    For travel, I’d have to agree. No knobs, though. You could try a Nanokey Pro, or a Novation Launchkey mini. I have all three. Many people love Nanokey pro, it feels a little plastic-y to me, but I bring it specifically for the knobs. The keys feel like ascii keyboard keys. The Launchkey has the most traditional feel and knobs, but is a little big in a hard case. It still fits in a backpack, though.

  • @johnfromberkeley said:
    The [Novation] Launchkey has the most traditional feel and knobs, but is a little big in a hard case. It still fits in a backpack, though.

    Looking at that, it looks like exactly what I was hoping would exist. Now just to convince my better half to let me get it :smile:

  • edited April 9

    Arturia minilab – small, good software bundle, knobs, pads, modstrip, $99

  • M> @audiblevideo said:

    Arturia minilab – small, good software bundle, knobs, pads, modstrip, $99

    16 knops and you can change midi channels directly on the fly. Very useful! 👍

  • edited April 9

    Because the Arturia MiniLab is quite heavy for mobile use I prefer the KORG MicroKey Studio.
    It’s one of my Best Buy’s I ever did. I highly recommend this lite weight and very useful midi controller, 😊👍

  • For the budget conscious!

  • @chandroji said:
    M> @audiblevideo said:

    Arturia minilab – small, good software bundle, knobs, pads, modstrip, $99

    16 knops and you can change midi channels directly on the fly. Very useful! 👍

    Being able to change midi channel on the device can be a HUGE benefit and one that should not be overlooked....many of the smaller controllers require connection to a desktop to change MIDI channels.

  • I can only recommend MiniLab Mk2. I use it with my Mac and iPad and it works amazing! Plus, you get some nice additional software (for Mac) with it for free!

  • another idea would be to invest in a Sensel Morph. It's more expensive, but with the different layouts - and possibly self-created layouts - you get many controllers in one device. And it has Bluetooth too. When I get mine I can say more about it, but I'm quite sure it is a great controller for iOS musicians.

  • I have the Minilab Mk2, Nanokey Studio and MicroKey Air. They are all great controllers. Depending on travel needs, I will pick one or 2 of them.

  • @Phil999 said:
    another idea would be to invest in a Sensel Morph. It's more expensive, but with the different layouts - and possibly self-created layouts - you get many controllers in one device. And it has Bluetooth too. When I get mine I can say more about it, but I'm quite sure it is a great controller for iOS musicians.

    I was about to make this suggestion, the Sensel Morph is a great device! The musician bundle is under $300 and gives you pads, knobs, ribbons, keys, drums you can play with sticks, and MPE capability like the Roli devices.
    The software also allows you do a lot more with it too...it’s essentially a giant pressure-sensitive customizable track pad.

    The Korg NanoKey Studio is also a pretty handy controller that travels well. It has velocity sensitivity, keys, pads, knobs, XY pad, runs for hours of heavy use on 2 AAA batteries and it works great with Gadget and most DAW and synth apps.
    It’s a good value for $125 or less.

  • @medgno said:
    I'm looking at spending $100-200 USD (new) on a decent travel- or small-sized controller to use with my iPad. I can do either bluetooth or USB, and I'm looking for at least 18 key, 4+ knobs, and something that is nicely compatible with iOS synths and DAWs. Having pads, more knobs, modulation wheel, etc., would all be plusses. Any suggestions you can offer would be fantastic.

    If you are in Florida let me know we can talk!

    Akai wireless is a good one.
    Livid minim is another I have.
    Launchkey mini

Sign In or Register to comment.