Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• Yeah!

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Would love to see an AB/Atom video.

• Lil’ bug report...
    In Auria Pro the Octave Up/Down button doesn’t move properly with window resizing.

• I've been in the queue waiting for this app (like everyone else) for ages.

Was psyched when it dropped yesterday, bought it sight unseen. Fired it up for a hot second last night just to make sure it worked. It did.

Haven't touched it since - life has been kicking my butt this week. I can't wait to have the time to actually play with my new app!

• @BiancaNeve said:

@blueveek said:

@Samu said:
    Hmm, this might be a 'stupid' question but when in step-record mode is there anyway to advance the play-head without playing a note?

You can drag the playhead yourself and move it where you want to add notes.

Selecting and resizing/moving notes will also move the playhead automatically.

Another stupid step-record question.
    In AB3 if I put a keyboard au like AU keys or scalebud as my midi input and have atom in step record mode in either effect or output slot it records all the notes on the 1st beat of the 1st bar.... ie it Doesn’t STEP.
    Anyone else getting the same effect?

I couldn't figure this out either. Is the only way to get it to step record like an SH101 is to use Atom's internal keyboard?

• @Janosax said:
    @skiphunt Atom is very easy to use, like Gadget or Xequence sequencers. You can make simple things with it too.

Everybody mentions AUM as host, but it also works very well with Audiobus, here on 7 Plus, super easy to switch between instances:

@blueveek ok thanks for upcoming update with pitch bend and CC automation, I hope it will not be entirely a new AU/separate window? As it’s needed IMO to being able to edit CC automations with notes visualization.

Atom works well on 7 Plus in AUM and Audiobus. I have now to understand how works this clips button... don’t do anything here I’m surely missing something...

There are however some things missing on iPhone 7 Plus, from video I’ve seen: time signature, tempo multiplier, global beat, loop beat.

• Getting some interesting sounds from this. It would be good if we could copy and paste between tracks.

• Copy maybe into a temp buffer, so notes could be used in another instance. That would be great.

• @Metalman said:
    Copy maybe into a temp buffer, so notes could be used in another instance. That would be great.

Should be possible. Fugue machine does this...

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@Metalman said:
    Copy maybe into a temp buffer, so notes could be used in another instance. That would be great.

Yeh, that was something I wanted to ask for too. What I have done instead is save a preset then open the preset in the other instance, then delete the preset. Copy/Paste would be easier but I wonder if that’s even possible between separate instances.

• @wim said:

@Metalman said:

Yeh, that was something I wanted to ask for too. What I have done instead is save a preset then open the preset in the other instance, then delete the preset. Copy/Paste would be easier but I wonder if that’s even possible between separate instances.

Add me on as a pretty please.

• edited April 2019

Me too on copy paste between instances.

What I’d like to see really is live midi controls for AUM and Audiobus, it seems that it’s not possible yet to control Atom recording via midi.

Atom is already really nice and has huge potential. Gadget midi out was already cool, but Atom is much more lighter on cpu and as AUV3 allows for state saving. Add to this CC automation, extended midi control and a future Ableton like launcher Atom.... should be really awesome!!!

• @blueveek said:
    However, I do sometimes wonder about having a more exhaustive manual. But people never read those right? :)

Absolutely do read manuals. Cover to cover. Want to master my purchases and squeeze out all their creative potential!

• A quick, pre work, ten minutes with my iPad jam session, then shared the project to my iPhone. I love the start stop sync but would love it if when I pressed stop it played the sequence to the end of the bar then stopped... Please!

• edited April 2019

@reasOne said:
    A quick, pre work, ten minutes with my iPad jam session, then shared the project to my iPhone. I love the start stop sync but would love it if when I pressed stop it played the sequence to the end of the bar then stopped... Please!

Yes, ideally clip triggering would be fully customisable:

• Option for synced start or not,
    • Option for synced stop or not,
    • Option for specifying trigger quantum (not just fixed to loop length)
    • Option for decoupling AU transport from host transport

The current implementation is rudimentary. And it'll grow to support more features based on all this feedback :)

• @Janosax said:

@Metalman said:
    Getting some interesting sounds from this. It would be good if we could copy and paste between tracks.

This is technically feasible to implement. As @wim mentioned, a workaround for now is to save a preset and load it in another instance. It's not a very nice workflow though, and fully fledged cut/copy/paste is obviously needed.

• @ocelot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@blueveek said:

@Samu said:
    Hmm, this might be a 'stupid' question but when in step-record mode is there anyway to advance the play-head without playing a note?

In AB3 if I put a keyboard au like AU keys or scalebud as my midi input and have atom in step record mode in either effect or output slot it records all the notes on the 1st beat of the 1st bar.... ie it Doesn’t STEP.

I couldn't figure this out either. Is the only way to get it to step record like an SH101 is to use Atom's internal keyboard?

Step input should work with both Atom's internal keyboard, and the host's keyboard. At least in AUM, BM3, and a few others, it makes no difference, and the playhead auto-advances after stepping in a note to allow for adding the next one at the proper location (as you'd expect).

Thanks for the report, I'll investigate the issue with AB3 and custom keyboards.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Recording in Atom doesn’t seem to start on the 1st beat from Autony

Make sure record auto-quantize is off, by setting "SNAP" to off in the top toolbar. I suspect the notes arrive slightly late, which causes them to snap to a later beat.

Atom is sample accurately synced to the host. However, AUv3 in general is a a disaster when it comes to MIDI timing, and it seems like everyone does things a little differently. The "correct" thing to do is to use sample-accurate absolute timing, as @brambos confirmed with Apple a while back, but many AUs (and hosts) don't respect that.

You can test this with "SNAP OFF" and other MIDI generators (like Rozeta Bassline), to verify that the notes are recorded accurately at the correct sample time.

I'll investigate this further though to verify what's going on with Autony.

• @blueveek said:

@Janosax said:

@Metalman said:
    Getting some interesting sounds from this. It would be good if we could copy and paste between tracks.

This is technically feasible to implement. As @wim mentioned, a workaround for now is to save a preset and load it in another instance. It's not a very nice workflow though, and fully fledged cut/copy/paste is obviously needed.

I've bumped against this in every session so far. I record a little thing and then want to copy it to a new instance so I can record and mess with a new thing. The iterative process appreciates easy copy and paste.

• @wim said:
    I really love it in AudioBus! It’s so much easier to flip between instances, IMO. The only thing missing is the ON/OFF switches in the AB toolbar, and the Bypass buttons in the mixer aren’t working. So, the start/stop side automation in AUM is a lot more handy over there.

I hope the AB on/off/bypass thing gets sorted between @blueveek and @Michael ‘cause this is like the ultimate IOS workflow for me for quick composition.

Thanks! I'm working this out with @Michael as we speak :)

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

@ocelot said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@blueveek said:

@Samu said:

Step input should work with both Atom's internal keyboard, and the host's keyboard. At least in AUM, BM3, and a few others, it makes no difference, and the playhead auto-advances after stepping in a note to allow for adding the next one at the proper location (as you'd expect).

Thanks for the report, I'll investigate the issue with AB3 and custom keyboards.

It’s working fine here with my NanoKEY Studio in AB3.
    [edit] oh. Misread the post. Confirmed with Xequence Keys and KB-1.

• edited April 2019

Found one super minor thing - in the AppStore it says under point 10 sate instead of state saving :)

Anyways, thank you for making it and congrats for the release! Last year at this time I wished someone would make such a plugin and now today I could just simply get it with a tenner. Awesome

One thing I would wish and love if you could consider it @blueveek

When I compose or as I saw @echoopera piece I was wondering for some sort of saving and management of loops and compositions. Maybe these layers and different clips could be somehow saved into one (project) file that will easily allow me to have clips for pads, for leads, for piano, for bass very easy. That would be most amazing.

And one other user wished for it already, consider this as a +1.... folders in the preset folder.
    I just downloaded it and tried it for some seconds. Love it already!!!

• @blueveek said:

@wim said:
    I really love it in AudioBus! It’s so much easier to flip between instances, IMO. The only thing missing is the ON/OFF switches in the AB toolbar, and the Bypass buttons in the mixer aren’t working. So, the start/stop side automation in AUM is a lot more handy over there.

I hope the AB on/off/bypass thing gets sorted between @blueveek and @Michael ‘cause this is like the ultimate IOS workflow for me for quick composition.

Thanks! I'm working this out with @Michael as we speak :)

Okay, I've sorted it out in the imminent AB 3.4 update. Stand by.

• @blueveek

I just noticed that the piano roll has a limit of 41 bars, why that number ?

I had hoped to be able to create full songs in it, but with 41 bars that may not be possible.

• @White said:
    @blueveek

I had hoped to be able to create full songs in it, but with 41 bars that may not be possible.

Limit is fairly arbitrary (I figured most songs are at most 40 bars in length).

I can extend this easily if needed.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@cyberheater said:
    Is there a song mode?

Good question.

@blueveek said:

@Janosax said:

@Metalman said:

Another +1 from me for this please :)

• @blueveek said:

@White said:
    @blueveek

Yes please extend it, if it’s easily done 😊👍

• @White said:

@blueveek said:

@White said:
    @blueveek

Yes please extend it, if it’s easily done 😊👍

I also vote for an extension please. Upto 128 if possible. That along with copy paste will let me do some really long interesting experiments in AUM....

• @Janosax said:

There are however some things missing on iPhone 7 Plus, from video I’ve seen: time signature, tempo multiplier, global beat, loop beat.

It's even a bit worse in the iPhone 8 as many tools are 'hiding'...

@blueveek Don't know maybe a 'tools pop-up' for both tempo and edit tools could be used to fix this on 'smaller size' devices?

Ie. long-tap on 'edit tool' and select which edit tool to use. Long tap on 'tempo' to choose which tempo / time-signature value to change?

btw. Still have some problems selecting & adding notes close to the ruler without the playhead 'taking tap priority' but sooner or later I'll find a work around, ie. just scroll down the grid a bit before adding notes or something?!

It would also be neat to be able to select which 'clip/instance' to edit without 'swapping windows'.
    This could be done by...

A) Tap on the Clip ID (Top Left) to select which active clip to edit.
    B) In the overlay menu select 'bring to front'

On the iPad ATOM works well though...

• Cool working with this so far. Thoughts:

1/ I also thought the choice of controls for selecting a scale odd, dropdown menu seems much more natural.

2/ Would like a draw mode similar to how Gadget lets you draw in notes. Love to be able to tap around quickly on the piano roll for semi random note placement.

3/ How about a non-destructive shuffle option on the wrench/spanner menu @blueveek ? Existing notes but in a different order.

4/ As well as loop mode, also ping pong, forwards then backwards?