Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• @Samu said:
    Hmm, this might be a 'stupid' question but when in step-record mode is there anyway to advance the play-head without playing a note?

You can drag the playhead yourself and move it where you want to add notes.

Selecting and resizing/moving notes will also move the playhead automatically.

• Anyone else using AB3 and having issues with bypass in mixer? I can chain Atoms together in a lane and get great variations on themes by recording one into the next and then flip, stretch, etc. But I can't isolate the individual Atoms in the mixer. Anyone else?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Anyone else using AB3 and having issues with bypass in mixer? I can chain Atoms together in a lane and get great variations on themes by recording one into the next and then flip, stretch, etc. But I can't isolate the individual Atoms in the mixer. Anyone else?

Are these Atoms (I like this nomenclature btw, heh) at the bank level or the pad level? Is it one per pad, or multiple per pad?

• @blueveek said:

@Samu said:
    Hmm, this might be a 'stupid' question but when in step-record mode is there anyway to advance the play-head without playing a note?

Ok, Guess I have to 're-learn' my motor-skills a bit then ;)

I'm so used to trackers where arrow down is like 'rest/advance' and also the 'sustain pedal' in LPX which is used add rests and tie notes. Makes it easier to 'keep the groove' when doing step-entry LOL.

• Is there anything the midi recording app Photon AU does that ATOM does not do?

• @Samu said:

@blueveek said:

@Samu said:

Ok, Guess I have to 're-learn' my motor-skills a bit then ;)

I'm so used to trackers where arrow down is like 'rest/advance' and also the 'sustain pedal' in LPX which is used add rests and tie notes. Makes it easier to 'keep the groove' when doing step-entry LOL.

...at least for now.

Keyboard shortcuts and remote control via MIDI are something one of my core testers has told me about, and I've got to admit it's fascinating. He's not on the forum, but there's a lot of ideas to play with in this domain for power users.

• @blueveek said:

@Samu said:

Another stupid step-record question.
    In AB3 if I put a keyboard au like AU keys or scalebud as my midi input and have atom in step record mode in either effect or output slot it records all the notes on the 1st beat of the 1st bar.... ie it Doesn’t STEP.
    Anyone else getting the same effect?

• @skiphunt said:
    Is there anything the midi recording app Photon AU does that ATOM does not do?

As far as I can see you can’t export midi from Atom but you can from Photon

Photon has a Groove facility that Atom doesn’t

Photon lets you start your loop in different places.

• You can also chain 6 loops in Photon or play them simultaneously and the automation is in place although haven't tried that much so far.

@skiphunt

• Recording in Atom doesn’t seem to start on the 1st beat from Autony

• edited April 2019

@BiancaNeve said:

@skiphunt said:

@BiancaNeve & @Carnbot I sure like the looks of the ATOM interface, but it may be more than I actually need, considering all the sequencing tools I already have. AU would be sweet of course, but thinking I’ll mull around the sidelines awhile longer.

Thanks for the info!

• edited April 2019

@Samu said:
    I'm so used to trackers

I've just seen an AUv3 tracker is coming too :)

https://www.facebook.com/vividsynths/

• I have added a Knowledge Base thread for ATOM. Please share your discoveries tips and tricks (and video links) with us here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32203/atom-piano-roll/p1?new=1

For those that don't know, AB Forum is going to have a wiki. The knowledge base topic is for collecting information that will migrate to the wiki. Please use it just for documenting the app rather than opinion sharing and general discussion.

• Congrats @blueveek on an amazing 1.0 release. Everything for subsequent updates has already been noted by others: note fold, auto-looping, and multi-channel support. And automation recording.

• @blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Anyone else using AB3 and having issues with bypass in mixer? I can chain Atoms together in a lane and get great variations on themes by recording one into the next and then flip, stretch, etc. But I can't isolate the individual Atoms in the mixer. Anyone else?

Are these Atoms (I like this nomenclature btw, heh) at the bank level or the pad level? Is it one per pad, or multiple per pad?

Hmmmm, not sure how you are using bank and pad. In AB3 I call them "lanes" and I'm referring to multiple Atoms per lane. These show as separate AUs in the mixer, each with a bypass button that should mute the MIDI. But it doesn't work as expected. The fader does work in some cases but not in others. Kinda odd.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@skiphunt said:

Think of Photon as more of a session recorder (mpe & all non-system midi messages), so sits well as a passthrough device capturing your midi & sharing it. I think it will complement ATOM well when ATOM gets midi import/export/share.

• Is there a song mode?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Hmmmm, not sure how you are using bank and pad. In AB3 I call them "lanes" and I'm referring to multiple Atoms per lane. These show as separate AUs in the mixer, each with a bypass button that should mute the MIDI. But it doesn't work as expected. The fader does work in some cases but not in others. Kinda odd.

I think Blueveek mistakenly thought you were talking about BeatMaker3 (BM3) instead of AB3 — hence the mention of banks and pads.

• @blueveek said:

@CracklePot said:

@wim said:
    I’m probably going to be crucified for saying this, but Atom just doesn’t sound Pro to me at all. I hear harsh aliasing in the upper mid side bands of the FFT curve. And worse still, there is clearly inter linear modulation bleeding into the phase conversions in and around the sixes and sevens.

I’m disappointed. I was really hoping this would be a suitable replacement for my hardware piano roll.

If you were trying to make my head explode, mission accomplished! :D

I have never heard of a sequencer sounding bad, except for timing issues.

I think that was a joke and he was being cheeky :)

I wasn’t sure if he was joking or drunk when he wrote it, but I was definitely stoned when I read it. ;)

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@midiSequencer said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@skiphunt said:

Think of Photon as more of a session recorder (mpe & all non-system midi messages), so sits well as a passthrough device capturing your midi & sharing it. I think it will complement ATOM well when ATOM gets midi import/export/share.

Well said. I see the two as complimenting each other nicely. I think Photon can be especially useful for just noodling around. Rather than setting up six Atom instances, deciding on the loop lengths in advance, then flipping around between them to start and stop, you have six slots to work with all in one place. Set up properly, you can use Photon to transparently suck up all the midi from a live jam, and play it back when you’re done. Kind of like AUM’s audio recording capability, but for midi.

Photon has only the most basic editing capability. That’s where Atom especially shines IMO.

• @midiSequencer said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@skiphunt said:

+1

• I’d really love to see both in action. Just got this app and I’m really enjoying it and was exactly wondering the same thing as to how I can integrate Photon and Atom together.

Thanks for such amazing app!

@wim said:

@midiSequencer said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@skiphunt said:

Well said. I see the two as complimenting each other nicely. I think Photon can be especially useful for just noodling around. Rather than setting up six Atom instances, deciding on the loop lengths in advance, then flipping around between them to start and stop, you have six slots to work with all in one place. Set up properly, you can use Photon to transparently suck up all the midi from a live jam, and play it back when you’re done. Kind of like AUM’s audio recording capability, but for midi.

Photon has only the most basic editing capability. That’s where Atom especially shines IMO.

• @tk32 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

I think Blueveek mistakenly thought you were talking about BeatMaker3 (BM3) instead of AB3 — hence the mention of banks and pads.

That's correct, I misread that as BM3 instead of AB3. Long day :)

• edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

@White said:
    @blueveek

Congrats, fantastic release :)

Are midi import/export on the roadmap ?

Definitely. This and more extensive IO support in general is needed.
    @midiSequencer said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@skiphunt said:

Yes, it compliments ATOM well.. Hopefully we will get state saving soon.. Much thanks for Photon..

• @cyberheater said:
    Is there a song mode?

Good question.

• edited April 2019

@midiSequencer said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@skiphunt said:

I'm tempted to grab ATOM as well, but I just had a play with all the other sequencers and editors I have. I love that I can easily record midi with Photon AU. Not crazy about the interface, but it works and does pretty much all I need it to at this point. I didn't know that you could link the pads. I thought that button was for Ableton link. lol. Now that I can link the pads it's more useful.

I can't decide if I'm tempted to ATOM because of all the board excitement only... or, if I'd actually use it. While playing with Photon, Fugue Machine, and a new one that's about to be launched over Easter ;) that's more geared toward rhythm.... I think I'm covered for now.

I'm also a bit intimidated by all of the videos already, and all the different possibilities of settings, as well as all of the requests for even more settings.

My compositional skills aren't really all that complicated, so I'm starting to think ATOM may be more for a musician who wants absolute fine control over the editing with a lot of different options.

Ok, I'm going back to the curb to watch the parade and maybe dip my toes in at a later date. Thanks for the clarifications.

• Cool app but Im getting a lot of crashes ..Ipad 6 2018 and ios 12.1.4
    eg Aum
    Atom 1 to Sunriser zero reverb zero chorus
    Atom 2 to iSem and Kosmonaut
    Elastic drums
    ok so far. 59% cpu in Aum
    Atom 3 to iSem crash. lost all work in all crashed Atoms..
    No warning or cpu spikes

• edited April 2019

@skiphunt Atom is very easy to use, like Gadget or Xequence sequencers. You can make simple things with it too.

Everybody mentions AUM as host, but it also works very well with Audiobus, here on 7 Plus, super easy to switch between instances:

@blueveek ok thanks for upcoming update with pitch bend and CC automation, I hope it will not be entirely a new AU/separate window? As it’s needed IMO to being able to edit CC automations with notes visualization.

Atom works well on 7 Plus in AUM and Audiobus. I have now to understand how works this clips button... don’t do anything here I’m surely missing something...

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

I really love it in AudioBus! It’s so much easier to flip between instances, IMO. The only thing missing is the ON/OFF switches in the AB toolbar, and the Bypass buttons in the mixer aren’t working. So, the start/stop side automation in AUM is a lot more handy over there.

I hope the AB on/off/bypass thing gets sorted between @blueveek and @Michael ‘cause this is like the ultimate IOS workflow for me for quick composition.

• Would love to see an AB/Atom video.