Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• @blueveek said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    @blueveek Can this loop midi like the sequencers found in Organelle patches?

Ie. Arm it. Then play note to automatically start recording, hit stop and the passage instantly loops. Without note quantisation and without snapping to next bar for loop end point. Organic, like how many audio loopers work.

If so, amazing, instabuy! Been looking for this in iOS forever...

If not, it’d be great if that mode option could maybe be considered for future :)

Congrats on the app release!

Thanks! This isn't in v1 yet, but has been discussed extensively in this thread and is planned: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31373/audioveek-piano-roll-midi-sequencer-au

Please consider this feature to behave like Enso when it comes to how to pass through data (midi in this case), i.e. the "Rec & Stop" option in Enso Input Monitoring.

I see modulations are part of a future update. From another thread, would the following be in scope with that update?

Do we know if this app can record and send out the y-axis modulations on moog keyboards for animoog, M15 and Model D?

• @bleep said:

@blueveek said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    @blueveek Can this loop midi like the sequencers found in Organelle patches?

Ie. Arm it. Then play note to automatically start recording, hit stop and the passage instantly loops. Without note quantisation and without snapping to next bar for loop end point. Organic, like how many audio loopers work.

If so, amazing, instabuy! Been looking for this in iOS forever...

If not, it’d be great if that mode option could maybe be considered for future :)

Congrats on the app release!

Thanks! This isn't in v1 yet, but has been discussed extensively in this thread and is planned: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31373/audioveek-piano-roll-midi-sequencer-au

Please consider this feature to behave like Enso when it comes to how to pass through data (midi in this case), i.e. the "Rec & Stop" option in Enso Input Monitoring.

I see modulations are part of a future update. From another thread, would the following be in scope with that update?

Do we know if this app can record and send out the y-axis modulations on moog keyboards for animoog, M15 and Model D?

I think this is all Aftertouch as far as I can tell. This is standard MIDI, which is in the scope of automation (CC, aftertouch etc).

• I think full MPE support can present some challenges especially when starting to move notes that have motion attached to them...

• @Samu said:
    I think full MPE support can present some challenges especially when starting to move notes that have motion attached to them...

MPE is different to Aftertouch. From what I've learned, MPE is a hack (albeit a clever one), essentially sending midi for a single instrument over multiple channels, to bring in more data. It's very tricky to support (heck, not even Ableton desktop supports it if I remember correctly).

However, aftertouch is a well known MIDI standard, and easier to support.

• @blueveek said:

@Samu said:
    I think full MPE support can present some challenges especially when starting to move notes that have motion attached to them...

MPE is different to Aftertouch. From what I've learned, MPE is a hack (albeit a clever one), essentially sending midi for a single instrument over multiple channels, to bring in more data. It's very tricky to support (heck, not even Ableton desktop supports it if I remember correctly).

The mentioned Moog Apps (Model D and Model 15) both do MPE.
    Cubasis records MPE but there is no good way to edit the recorded data...

For now I'm 'struggling' with ATOM on my iPhone 8
    I would be happy if there was a way to 'pan/scroll' the UI to access the stuff that is 'off screen'.
    On the Air 2 it's a smooth sail though...

• @Samu said:

@blueveek said:

@Samu said:

That's good to know, thanks for the details.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    My measure of an app is how long it takes me to create something unique or unexpected--or make a common task faster/easier. After an hour using this app in my AB3 setup I can report that this lovely creation does both. And the thoughtful design delights on top of utility and inspiration. I'll post a video of the results later when I'm back in WiFi range. But congrats, @blueveek for nailing this one.

Really looking forward to seeing your workings. I am pretty sure I do NOT make as much of AB3 as I should/could so welcome the chance to peek over your shoulder....

• edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@Carnbot said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I think you might be on iOS 11. something?
    There's an issue there being debugged I think.

Ah, yeah. I’m on 11.4.1

I checked app description but no iOS limit was stated.

Fingers crossed it’s fixable. :) Cheers.

This pesky thing :)

After looking into this, and thanks to the reports so far, it does look like this is strictly an iOS 11.4.1 bug. Upgrading iOS to a more up to date version fixes the issue.

EDIT: For the more interested of you, this is due to some "unorthodox" performance optimisations to make sure Atom consumes the least amount of resources. This comes at a cost to compatibility, and issues such as this one arise.

I'll try to see if there's any ways of addressing the problem on 11.4.1 without performance penalties.

EDIT: Rendering issue on iOS now fixed in Beta. Cool!

• Does this have the ability to have clips saved and recalled like Rozeta cells?

• edited April 2019

@blueveek

Happy to betatest if you move ahead with a fix for 11.4.1

UPDATE: I did, and @blueveek fixed it like a superstar!

• @waynerowand said:
    Does this have the ability to have clips saved and recalled like Rozeta cells?

Yes, you can use the host's preset management to save presets. Or, if you don't, the state is automatically saved alongside your entire project, and reloaded when you open the project later. Additionally, currently AUv3 doesn't allow you to share presets saved in one host with another host, however, I'll work around this in a future update with an inbuilt preset manager.

• @MrBlaschke said:

@blueveek said:
    However, I do sometimes wonder about having a more exhaustive manual. But people never read those right? :)

Wrong :smile:
    Most of them are sadly written in poor detail and, well, are just crap.

A manual would be much appreciated !

• If you haven't seen them yet, I've now finished uploading the final in a first set of short video tutorials. They're as succinct as possible, so I encourage you to check them out when you get a chance:

http://audioveek.com/atom-piano-roll-overview/

http://audioveek.com/atom-piano-roll-edit-tools/

http://audioveek.com/atom-piano-roll-recording-and-step-input/

http://audioveek.com/atom-piano-roll-time-tempo-sync/

http://audioveek.com/atom-piano-roll-quantize-stretch/

• @espiegel123 said:

A manual would be much appreciated !

I second that!

• This is great! Can you save clips and then change them on the fly?

• so do I…

• @blueveek said:

@Samu said:

@blueveek said:

@Samu said:

That's good to know, thanks for the details.

Cheers. FYI, even if there is no way to edit or visualize this data, I'd be happy to have Atom record and playback such MPE modulations from moog keyboards (they're so good!).

• edited April 2019

Some great stuff in this thread! And awesome to hear people's creations!
    This app is so great rn and it's exciting to see that this will continue to be developed and also become a modular set of tools!
    For the 9$ price tag I have zero complaints or issue with it right now as is... Very excited to work this into my process and hear others doing so as well...
    As far as app complaints that it isn't doing this, or showing that....i have none, I'm going to trust @blueveek to create the app he wanted to create and happily put it to use...a stellar job and it'll only get better..

• @Samu said:
    @blueveek I may be a bit OCD but I miss having access to the editing tools when using ATOM in landscape mode on my iPhone 8. (ATOM Window maximised in AUM).

I can rotate my iPhone to and get access to them...

Exactly the same issue over here. I can get the icons to sometimes display in Landscape by resizing the window, but that is very hit/miss and of course shouldn’t be necessary.

Now, off to award five stars. Man, this thing is amazing.

• Great app!!!!

I’ve got an issue with pitch bend recording, using iFretless bass (non MPE mode). Does Atom record pitch bend?

• I better change these pants...

• @blueveek : From what I remember, at least Animoog doesn't send MPE, but polyphonic aftertouch (also called polypressure). Your "hack" comment about MPE is interesting. I would even go as far as saying that the whole thing isn't really needed. IIRC it only provides two CCs per note. "Regular" MIDI already provided one, so IMHO it would have been far better to just add another PolyPressure message instead of hacking together a completely new thing that breaks the channels concept and is incompatible with everything and needlessly complicated, just to have that MPE "buzzword" so manufacturers can sell new hardware ;)

• @Janosax said:
    Great app!!!!

I’ve got an issue with pitch bend recording, using iFretless bass (non MPE mode). Does Atom record pitch bend?

This is part of the almighty automation editing feature that was switched off for this release. Recording pitch bend without being able to edit it would've been confusing, so naturally it was disabled. The overwhelming feeling on this forum was that it'd be good to get it out now, and iterate later :)

Rest assured that this is coming in a free update.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    I better change these pants...

Tell me this is your app store review. PLEASE.

• @blueveek good effort on the videos Mister.

• @echoopera said:
    Well had a little jam session this evening with Atom, fugue machine and some of my favorite pieces of kit...and well...this little tool is going to open things up for me that’s all i can say. Great work on this 1.0 release sir 🙏🏼💕👊🏼™️

Great!

• Probably already been mentioned, but start/stop would be nice to have the option to start again on next host measure. currently if you have a long sequence it waits until the end which isn't always desirable :)

• edited April 2019

@blueveek this app is really an excellent addition to iOS music.

My earlier post on this thread mentioned a missing feature that probably would have kept me from buying (for now). That might still be true, but I had some time to tinker with it and I’m really glad I bought it. It is obvious that so much work went in to making it great.

I had a good hour to test it out and ...wow. This is both fun and very useful, and the truth is it exactly fits my kind of workflow. As someone who has never really been able to wrap my brain around the usual DAW workflow, it is exactly what I need for AUM and playing around with live compositions.

👍🏼👍🏼

• edited April 2019

Hmm, this might be a 'stupid' question but when in step-record mode is there anyway to advance the play-head without playing a note?

In the UI it could be handy to have a button(ie. tie/rest) for this as it could then be mapped to CC64(sustain pedal).

I will try with an external controller later using the 'sustain pedal' which is de-facto standard to advance the play head or or to tie the held notes to the next step.

• This is excellent, really nice to use. I love the way you can easily activate/deactivate clips, and with AUM use more than one clip per instrument. You can build up a really good, tuneful jam with this feller.

Created a couple of interesting things straight away.