Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• Well had a little jam session this evening with Atom, fugue machine and some of my favorite pieces of kit...and well...this little tool is going to open things up for me that’s all i can say. Great work on this 1.0 release sir 🙏🏼💕👊🏼™️

• edited April 2019

@echoopera said:
    Well had a little jam session this evening with Atom, fugue machine and some of my favorite pieces of kit...and well...this little tool is going to open things up for me that’s all i can say. Great work on this 1.0 release sir 🙏🏼💕👊🏼™️

Great Stuff @echoopera any chance you can share the AUM template for that one. Would love to pick the bones out of it to see how it was made sounds fab.

• edited April 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@echoopera said:
    Well had a little jam session this evening with Atom, fugue machine and some of my favorite pieces of kit...and well...this little tool is going to open things up for me that’s all i can say. Great work on this 1.0 release sir 🙏🏼💕👊🏼™️

Great Stuff @echoopera any chance you can share the AUM template for that one. Would love to pick the bones out of it to see how it was made sounds fab.

Sure thing. Haven’t done this before, but let’s see if the file opens correctly 🤪

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wkjc9xjpovnuxp/continuity.zip?dl=0

I tried saving it in Audiobus, but the AUM session wouldn’t save, because it said that AUM Timed Out.

• edited April 2019

@echoopera said:

That sounds beautiful. This is my favourite bit now, seeing what people can come up with.

I'm happy and humbled that Atom is giving everyone new ideas and inspiration. Thank you!

• McDMcD
    edited April 2019

This is going to be fun! I gave it a Test Drive in AUM.

Made (4) Atom Loops to control 4 Apps:
    Poison-101 for Bass
    An AudioLayer Piano
    iSymphonic "Pizzicato Strings"
    AudioLayer "Dyno Keys"

It's very frictionless style of building up a project and then just routed the tracks to Mix Bus A and enabled a Mix Bus A track for recording. Stopped the Transport and hit AUM Record.

Mixed in the fade and uploaded the "File Player" file.

• edited April 2019

@blueveek said:

@echoopera said:

That sounds beautiful. This is my favourite bit now, seeing what people can come up with.

I'm happy and humbled that Atom is giving everyone new ideas and inspiration. Thank you!

Fantastic instrument, thanks a lot for this. It opens so many possibilities!!

One thing I have seen. When assigning a note to trigger on/off with a keyboard it works well to deactivate (off) but then no possibly to activate again (on). And when replacing the keyboard with an instance of Atom (one instance to control all the others), then it doesn’t work at all. Can you please tell me what should be done there?

• edited April 2019

@cuscolima said:

@blueveek said:

@echoopera said:

One thing I have seen. When assigning a note to trigger on/off with a keyboard it works well to deactivate (off) but then no possibly to activate again (on). And when replacing the keyboard with an instance of Atom (one instance to control all the others), then it doesn’t work at all. Can you please tell me what should be done there?

The Start / Stop parameter (corresponding to the Play / Stop button in Atom's UI, or the round toggle in AUM's UI for example) works like this:

• immediate stop
    • synced start after loop ends

This helps with clip launching, so you can schedule a bunch of clips to start at the same time.

More controls are definitely needed, and these will be part of my future modular solution for clip launching, already in the works for a while now :)

• Great stuff @blueveek what a fab app.

This brings a great feature to AUM.

As a side note I had 2 crashes this morning using loop record, first time with iSymphonic that may be due to the time that app takes to load patches. I had other apps running at the time.

The second time AUM froze up when trying to record a 4th instance of Atom into Noise inputting chords from KB-1 into that Atom instance.

I had 3 loops already recorded in with Atom using other AU instruments. I have screenshot the frozen page image. Notice the staggered lines round Noise.

I release this all may be due to the other apps and not Atom not sure.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Great stuff @blueveek what a fab app.

The staggered lines round Noise suggest a MIDI feedback loop in your routing. Perhaps that's source of the issue?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    The overlay thing is particularly inspired.

Agree. Just might take me awhile to get my head around making the most of it...

So much easier than opening the other instances up, it really is a good feature. Something unique amongst AUs I think.

Would be nice if the other layers could be toggled in and out of the pattern, i.e. actually play the notes rather than just visualise. And have this automatable.

And ... yeh, feature creep ... it’s a fine addition as it is. Looking forward to future developments (automatable stuff, etc).

• @blueveek said:

@Jumpercollins said:

The staggered lines round Noise suggest a MIDI feedback loop in your routing. Perhaps that's source of the issue?

Ok many thanks little steps first with this I think.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@blueveek said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Ok many thanks little steps first with this I think.

One of the strong advantages of being modular is supporting almost every scenario you can come up with.
    One of the strong disadvantages of being modular is that things can get complex, fast. Baby steps first!

I think we can err on the side of being powerful, which is why I'm fully committed to the modular approach.

• @echoopera said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@echoopera said:

Sure thing. Haven’t done this before, but let’s see if the file opens correctly 🤪

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wkjc9xjpovnuxp/continuity.zip?dl=0

I tried saving it in Audiobus, but the AUM session wouldn’t save, because it said that AUM Timed Out.

@echoopera Great that worked, I took a few attempts as AUM wasn’t showing initially then I discovered the file had been zipped. I opened in AudioShare unzipped and opened in from there. Sounds fabulous many thanks again.

• @blueveek said:

@cuscolima said:

@blueveek said:

@echoopera said:

The Start / Stop parameter (corresponding to the Play / Stop button in Atom's UI, or the round toggle in AUM's UI for example) works like this:

• immediate stop
    • synced start after loop ends

This helps with clip launching, so you can schedule a bunch of clips to start at the same time.

More controls are definitely needed, and these will be part of my future modular solution for clip launching, already in the works for a while

I’m finding the same thing, I can map the start stop parameter to AUMs keyboard but it only responds to stop, I need to start playback again from either the AUM UI button control or from within the plugin window.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

I’m probably going to be crucified for saying this, but Atom just doesn’t sound Pro to me at all. I hear harsh aliasing in the upper mid side bands of the FFT curve. And worse still, there is clearly inter linear modulation bleeding into the phase conversions, especially around the sixes and sevens.

I’m disappointed. I was really hoping this would be a suitable replacement for my hardware piano roll.

• edited April 2019

@GrimLucky Aha, thanks for this! I'll investigate!

• @wim said:
    I’m probably going to be crucified for saying this, but Atom just doesn’t sound Pro to me at all. I hear harsh aliasing in the upper mid side bands of the FFT curve. And worse still, there is clearly inter linear modulation bleeding into the phase conversions in and around the sixes and sevens.

I’m disappointed. I was really hoping this would be a suitable replacement for my hardware piano roll.

If you were trying to make my head explode, mission accomplished! :D

I have never heard of a sequencer sounding bad, except for timing issues.

• @CracklePot said:

@wim said:
    I’m probably going to be crucified for saying this, but Atom just doesn’t sound Pro to me at all. I hear harsh aliasing in the upper mid side bands of the FFT curve. And worse still, there is clearly inter linear modulation bleeding into the phase conversions in and around the sixes and sevens.

If you were trying to make my head explode, mission accomplished! :D

I think that was a joke and he was being cheeky :)

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

@CracklePot said:

I get the impression there aren’t a lot of experienced piano rollers around this forum. Anyone who has played professionally should be able to detect the degradation of the transients from poorly coded smoothing curves.

Try running it through a midi side band flux analyzer. You’ll clearly see it in the slight greenish morphing around the PPQN jitter point stabilizer.

• edited April 2019

@wim is trying to make a joke.

He needs the practice :D

• edited April 2019

Perhaps you should have called the app ‘Entropy’

I have a feeling this thread will follow a similar path :p

• Thanks @blueveek all working great otherwise, would love to have multiple clips in the same instance and be able to switch between them on the fly.

• @GrimLucky said:
    Thanks @blueveek all working great otherwise, would love to have multiple clips in the same instance and be able to switch between them on the fly.

Thanks! Planned. I’ll spin off a thread in a couple of weeks to get some feedback on what’s next.

• edited April 2019

Looks like someone managed to find a way of turning Atom into a hacky CC editor, using the built-in layers to sync automation with patterns. Here’s a video (see the video description for more info):

This won’t put a dent in my plans to support proper CC automation in a future update, but thought it was interesting enough to share, and maybe this hack fills some workflow gaps in the meantime.

• Well hooked my NanoKey studio up to AUM via BLUETOOTH into Atom works a treat no noticeable latency or missed notes.

Atom actually turns AUM into a mega PianoRoll Sequencer, with AUM midi routing and this the sky’s the limit. I’m thinking multiple outs to Gadget now!

• Fantastic work @blueveek ! Congrats on getting this out.

• Joking aside ... fantastic app! Thanks for this!

The one thing I hope more than anything you’ll consider @blueveek is preset saving independent of host. I can’t tell you how many times I get something going in one host, and then think another would be more appropriate to get the job done. I would love to be able to save that preset and simply open up in another host.

...and swing. 😎

• Great work @blueveek :smile: This is making modular workflow much deeper.

One of the reasons why modular AU environment is so right for iOS is because it’s all about teamwork. Multiple developers working on different pieces of the engine. And this is an important piece.

Yeah looking forward to the automation and painting on velocity curves etc. 👍

• @blueveek said:

Agreed, this is absolutely needed. Planned for an update.

Goodie!

The ‘threshold’ near the time ruler is quite sensitive in setting playhead position making it harder to select single notes without using the lasso tool.

Yeah, the area near the time ruler heavily biases towards time ruler related gestures. Any suggestions?

I'll get back when I've played a bit more with it...
    What I shared was my initial reaction.

Tip: you can also select notes in “pen” or “brush” mode, which defaults to single selection. Does this work for you?

Will do some more digging...

...I'm so used to 'Gadget' where the draw tool automatically either adds or deletes a note so I never even thought about using it to select single notes...

There’s also long press gestures for all tools including selection. I’ll leave that up to you to discover :)

Will dig deeper, that's for sure!

Hope to see a 'multiple clips' per instance feature...
    Even before I tested it the first time I tapped on the 'clip number'(top left) to see if there was a 'new/select a clip' menu.

Since I've not dug that deep enough yet, maybe there's even a way to toggle for the 'octave' to 'semi' when moving the selection up & down?

I feel I'll be spending quite some time with ATOM and will try to collate what I bump into :)