Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom piano roll is here !

Comments

• @RajahP said:
    Hate to do this but.... when can we expect an update.. midi out/in, probability. Guess ATOM is iOS music essential now.. so I should not feel too bad inquiring...

Loving it.. o:)

Working on it! :smile:

Priority for now is MIDI channels support, automatable params (+ more params in general), and figuring out the "idle" crash. I expect those to be ready fairly soon, though the "idle" crash is giving me headaches and I'm still not getting any crash reports. There's was this thread as well, which seems to suggest there's more apps affected: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/639572

• @wim said:
    Some other differences (there are others):

• Atom records a fixed preset loop length, and loop records until you stop it. So, you need to see the length in advance, then stop it or the sending app to avoid overlap.

This is my major request about Atom....

It is on the roadmap @blueveek?

• @OnfraySin Definitely, I have this in my "make the workflow more Ableton-y" folder.

• @blueveek said:

I'm still not getting any crash reports. There's was this thread as well, which seems to suggest there's more apps affected: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/639572

Has anyone reported this idle crash in other hosts?
    Just wondering if it might be just AUM with the issue.

• @Carnbot said:

@blueveek said:

I'm still not getting any crash reports. There's was this thread as well, which seems to suggest there's more apps affected: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/639572

It could be an AUM issue (which I've not bumped into at all).
    apeMatrix feels quite solid in general but I'm still getting used to it's way of routing stuff.
    AB3 seems to have a quite solid midi-routing as well but it's still lacking in other areas.

It could also be an iOS thing where it does memory housekeeping and flushes out seemingly idle processes...
    (iOS12.4 should be out quite soonish and should be one of the last updates before iOS13 drops)

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

@blueveek said:

It could be an AUM issue (which I've not bumped into at all).
    apeMatrix feels quite solid in general but I'm still getting used to it's way of routing stuff.
    AB3 seems to have a quite solid midi-routing as well but it's still lacking in other areas.

It could also be an iOS thing where it does memory housekeeping and flushes out seemingly idle processes...
    (iOS12.4 should be out quite soonish and should be one of the last updates before iOS13 drops)

I've not updated to ios 12.3 yet, still on the previous version. Might do that to see it it helps.

• @blueveek said:
    @OnfraySin Definitely, I have this in my "make the workflow more Ableton-y" folder.

Uoh! Awesome!

• o:) > @blueveek said:

@RajahP said:
    Hate to do this but.... when can we expect an update.. midi out/in, probability. Guess ATOM is iOS music essential now.. so I should not feel too bad inquiring...

Loving it.. o:)

Working on it! :smile:

Priority for now is MIDI channels support, automatable params (+ more params in general), and figuring out the "idle" crash. I expect those to be ready fairly soon, though the "idle" crash is giving me headaches and I'm still not getting any crash reports. There's was this thread as well, which seems to suggest there's more apps affected: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/639572

Have not had any crashes on any of my iPhones/iPads...

• @wim said:

@HydraGen said:
    I'm using up to eight hardware synths per AUM project so I need to assign them to eight different midi channels and can't seem to find that setting...

I assume your hardware synths are sending on separate channels? If so, then open up the routing for each channel, and de-select the channels that you don’t want. Example below: filtering out all but channel 2.

I'm trying to control my Digitone with Atom in AUM. I have the DN set to channels 11-14 for receiving MIDI, but I can't figure out how to get Atom to SEND on channel 11. It seems your diagram sets up what Atom will receive as opposed to sending out. Any ideas on setting the output channel?

• @slicetwo said:

@wim said:

@HydraGen said:
    I'm using up to eight hardware synths per AUM project so I need to assign them to eight different midi channels and can't seem to find that setting...

I assume your hardware synths are sending on separate channels? If so, then open up the routing for each channel, and de-select the channels that you don’t want. Example below: filtering out all but channel 2.

I'm trying to control my Digitone with Atom in AUM. I have the DN set to channels 11-14 for receiving MIDI, but I can't figure out how to get Atom to SEND on channel 11. It seems your diagram sets up what Atom will receive as opposed to sending out. Any ideas on setting the output channel?

You can’t at this time. The only way to do it right now is to use something like mfxStrip to convert the midi to another channel. There are other apps that can do the channel conversion as well, that’s just one easy to use and inexpensive example.

I know it’s in the plans for Atom to support channels at some point.

• Has anyone succeeded to MIDI learn the start/stop AU parameter (of Atom) in AUM? Tried both with CC and note, but can’t get anything to work, i.e being able to trigger Atom to play from external controller.

• @NoonienS said:
    Has anyone succeeded to MIDI learn the start/stop AU parameter (of Atom) in AUM? Tried both with CC and note, but can’t get anything to work, i.e being able to trigger Atom to play from external controller.

It doesn’t work at this time. If I remember correctly, @blueveek is working on it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hello I noticed a bug, if the note on the grid is touching the left side it does not play the right note; if you put the note a bit on the right it does play the good note.

• @Manou said:
    Hello I noticed a bug, if the note on the grid is touching the left side it does not play the right note; if you put the note a bit on the right it does play the good note.

Please DM a session project and I'll look into it!

• edited May 2019

Hi
    I have 4 requests , I have read the previous requests and I want to add these requests .

1. Request for loop record with replacement mode .at the moment atom has loop recording with overdubs mode .

2. Request detection tool, for when we have lots of notes and need to detect all notes with specific position range : ( for example detect all notes that are in 1/8 bars ) . or detect all notes with specific velocity range or detect all notes with specific length range , and select them automatically, for adjusting them ( quantize , velocity , position,... ) . And having one invert selection tool can be very useful for this options .

3. Request for random and swing quantize. Random quantize with value or strength option is very useful for when we have quantized notes but then we decide to make them irregular/non quantize ( humanizing ) . Very thanks if add these options.

4. Request for more transparent grid lines ( bar grid and smaller than bar ) and vertically notes lines . I can not see any line .They are very hard to see .
      Why the background color is dark ? The background color in cubasis pianoroll is very nice and working with it is very comfortable. Please solve this problem.

Can these requests be in future updates?

• @pejman said:
    Hi
    I have 4 requests , I have read the previous requests and I want to add these requests .

1. Request for more transparent grid lines ( bar grid and smaller than bar ) and vertically notes lines . I can not see any line .They are very hard to see .
      Why the background color is dark ? The background color in cubasis pianoroll is very nice and working with it is very comfortable. Please solve this problem.

I pondering on whether to allow configuring the vertical divisions opacity, or simply creating a white theme. Not sure which is better, I'm leaning slightly towards just implementing a white theme.

Anyone else have any preference here?

1. Request for random and swing quantize. Random quantize with value or strength option is very useful for when we have quantized notes but then we decide to make them irregular/non quantize ( humanizing ) . Very thanks if add these options.

Yeah, swing is an absolute must for any sequencer. On the radar, along with micro-shuffle/jiggle.

1. Request detection tool, for when we have lots of notes and need to detect all notes with specific position range : ( for example detect all notes that are in 1/8 bars ) . or detect all notes with specific velocity range or detect all notes with specific length range , and select them automatically, for adjusting them ( quantize , velocity , position,... ) . And having one invert selection tool can be very useful for this options .

This is a really cool idea, like a "smart auto-select" kind of tool. What I'm worried about is the sheer amount of possible things to select for (velocity, duration, pitch, overlap, in-key/out-of key, and all of those in between ranges or not etc.).

1. Request for loop record with replacement mode .at the moment atom has loop recording with overdubs mode .

How do you see this "replacement" or overwrite mode work? Would existing notes be removed when new ones are added and they overlap? Would whole bars be deleted when the playhead loops back? There's many ways this could work I think.

• @blueveek said:

@pejman said:
    Hi

1. Request for more transparent grid lines ( bar grid and smaller than bar ) and vertically notes lines . I can not see any line .They are very hard to see .

I pondering on whether to allow configuring the vertical divisions opacity, or simply creating a white theme. Not sure which is better, I'm leaning slightly towards just implementing a white theme.

I like something like the colors in ModStep's piano roll:

• edited May 2019

@blueveek said:

Excuse me, I am correcting my spelling mistake ( vertically note lines ) to ( horizontally note lines.)

Vertically grid lines can be whiter and horizontally note lines (keyboard white keys ) can be more creamy with same dark background.

• I the colors, dark or light don’t matter to me, but the contrast is simply too low for the grid lines and for the numbers on the timeline for me. I have to get very close to the screen to be able to see them.

• edited May 2019

@blueveek said:

This is a really cool idea, like a "smart auto-select" kind of tool. What I'm worried about is the sheer amount of possible things to select for (velocity, duration, pitch, overlap, in-key/out-of key, and all of those in between ranges or not etc.).

Do you know logical option in pianoroll in cubase desktop version? Of course, this cubase logical editor is a very professional and complex option, that I do not expect from you .But it can be helped .
    It has minimum and maximum range option for velocity or any options, for example it detects notes with velocity between 10 and 15 range, or detects all notes with less than 1/16 length . or more than 1/8 length, or between 1/16 and 1/8 length. Or detects all notes that are in specific position ,I'll show it in the image below . Or detects all F# notes and etc.

How do you see this "replacement" or overwrite mode work? Would existing notes be removed when new ones are added and they overlap? Would whole bars be deleted when the playhead loops back? There's many ways this could work I think.

Your right, both are very usefull . But I mean more , whole bars be deleted when the playhead loops back . For when we playback other tracks in loop mode and hear them sound and want to record, phrases notes or chords, improvising , and select latest recording that is best.

• Hey @blueveek. I sent you a support message on your website yesterday about notes getting cut off while recording. Attached a video. Is it better to contact you here?

• edited June 2019

@blueveek said

Hello there @blueveek the white theme would be perfect.
    And aslo if possible, could you make some to zoom in and out like the way Cubasis piano roll works?
    The current way you have is that the whole piano roll becomes small or big .
    Would be nice to be able to zoom in sections.

• @DCJ said:
    Hey @blueveek. I sent you a support message on your website yesterday about notes getting cut off while recording. Attached a video. Is it better to contact you here?

A bit behind on emails, gonna check it there! Thanks for the video!

• @Paa89 said:

@blueveek said

And aslo if possible, could you make some to zoom in and out like the way Cubasis piano roll works?

Agreed, this is one of those features where some people love it, some people prefer it the "old" way.

Decoupling vertical/horizontal zooming is something that I've received requests for, but I'm seriously disliking the way pinch gestures currently work with other piano rolls on iOS. I think that having a single gesture for simultaneous independent horizontal and vertical zooming is fundamentally bad UX with touch screens, so I'm exploring different ways of accommodating zooming with a different UX. Though I'm not sure what the best approach is.

• @blueveek said:

@Paa89 said:

@blueveek said

Agreed, this is one of those features where some people love it, some people prefer it the "old" way.

Decoupling vertical/horizontal zooming is something that I've received requests for, but I'm seriously disliking the way pinch gestures currently work with other piano rolls on iOS. I think that having a single gesture for simultaneous independent horizontal and vertical zooming is fundamentally bad UX with touch screens, so I'm exploring different ways of accommodating zooming with a different UX. Though I'm not sure what the best approach is.

Why not just use vertical pinching for vertical scaling, and horizontal pinching for horizontal scaling? They don’t even have to be simultaneous...

• @Shabudua said:

@blueveek said:

@Paa89 said:

@blueveek said

Why not just use vertical pinching for vertical scaling, and horizontal pinching for horizontal scaling? They don’t even have to be simultaneous...

+++1

Also: pinch is good...leveraging what people already will know increases the likelihood that they will figure out how to use it.

• I'm not sure why limiting zooming to "one axis at a time depending on movement angle" would be an advantage? It's artificially limiting... if you only want to zoom horizontally, you simply move your fingers only horizontally... if there's a slight vertical component too, then that can't be a problem because all that happens is that vertical zoom changes slightly? (and vice versa). But maybe I'm missing something...

• edited June 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    I'm not sure why limiting zooming to "one axis at a time depending on movement angle" would be an advantage? It's artificially limiting... if you only want to zoom horizontally, you simply move your fingers only horizontally... if there's a slight vertical component too, then that can't be a problem because all that happens is that vertical zoom changes slightly? (and vice versa). But maybe I'm missing something...

The slightly added vertical/horizontal movement can get super annoying, let me explain...

Presume that you've carefully set the vertical zoom to cover say 24 'rows'(ie. 2 octaves) and use all of them. Now if you 'zoom' and there is some vertical movement during zoom some of those rows might go 'off screen'.

The alternate would also be true but in the horizontal orientation.
    Ie. you carefully set the 'width' of the screen to cover 1 bar at 16th steps but need to do vertical zoom to reach all the keys.

For touch-screens to avoid un-intentional panning/scrolling a 'X/Y Lock' is a good idea complemented with a 'page up/down/left/right' to preserve the zoom ratio.

But then again, that's just me...