Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mazetools - cant event find the demo menu

This is such a frustrating app, on first launch it just says dive in, that’s it nothing else, it gives nomindicated how to dice in. And trying things at random I can’t get anything to do anything. Dive in my arse.
I can’t get any sound out of this, the help menu is not helpful if you have no idea where to even begin.
I looked at their first tutorial video on their website, the video starts showing a circle already displayed - one of the items on this circle is to select demos. BUT the video doesn’t show you how to launch this in the first place, i’ve tapped every single icon there is, I can’t find any demos anywhere. I can’t do anything with it by trying to guess, I can’t find any demos, the tutorial videos don’t show how to jus t simply get started.
Getting really frustrated and ****ed off.

Comments

• Might help:

• Oh, you said you have already checked the tutorials. Hang on, will load it up. Haven't used it much as it has no connectivity. @skiphunt is the resident head for this one I think.

• Thanks, yes this is my problem that I was talking about , this video starts showing a white circle with 6 menu items, one of which being the demos.
    My problem is I can't find out how to display this white menu circle in the very first place - I've tapped every icon, and every sub icon on the main desktop, and there are many of them, non of them are displaying this circle showing at the start of the video.

• Have you hit the reset button on the right to take it back to init?

• Also, the UI has changed a lot in this update so the video graphics don’t quite match.

• That's an older version, I think that menu is gone. Now if you tap sessions on the left, there's a selection called CoolStuff
    load that, then tap the icon just above the one currently lit green (the circle of 6 circles) then you can see the list of demo sets (press up and down arrows to see more of them. Select one and press load 2 times.

It's not very intuitive I know.

• @Carnbot said:
    That's an older version, I think that menu is gone. Now if you tap sessions on the left, there's a selection called CoolStuff
    load that, then tap the icon just above the one currently lit green (the circle of 6 circles) then you can see the list of demo sets (press up and down arrows to see more of them. Select one and press load 2 times.

It's not very intuitive I know.

Hi could you add a screenshot if possible. I tap on cool stuff, then it says switching to cool stuff session, but then I still can’t see any circle of 6 circles nor any green lit icon. There a tiny rotating circle in the middle, if I tap on that it expands but once expanded can’t see any demo or teen icon so I presume I should be looking for that elsewhere?

• @gusgranite said:
    Have you hit the reset button on the right to take it back to init?

If I hit that it flashes red but then nothing happens after that

• edited April 2019

That button with the circle of circles is the sets menu, press that (see below pic, the purple icon although it can change colour) and the current sets in the session appear to the right. (the right column of circles) select one of these and then a load option will appear. you have to press load twice for it to load.

• edited April 2019

This is actually one of those apps which I think works a lot better on desktop, everything is pretty small even on the ipad 12.9 and it's a bit fiddly to go through menus. Works much better on a big display.

• @mungbeans said:

@gusgranite said:
    Have you hit the reset button on the right to take it back to init?

If I hit that it flashes red but then nothing happens after that

Hit it again while it's red :smile:
    They're just doing one click to arm it so you don't hit it by accident i think.

• Last time I tried this app I managed to make the entire screen go white and I couldn’t see the icons. Needless to say, I couldn’t figure out what the hell I was doing

• It’s a very frustrating app because it’s so freakin close. Much of it is genius. But they can’t quite close the deal.

Some stuff is mind blowingly great, while basic interface stuff is a total fail.

I’m in for the long haul because it’s that good. But I definitely understand the frustration with this one.

• @mungbeans said:
    This is such a frustrating app, on first launch it just says dive in, that’s it nothing else, it gives nomindicated how to dice in. And trying things at random I can’t get anything to do anything. Dive in my arse.
    I can’t get any sound out of this, the help menu is not helpful if you have no idea where to even begin.
    I looked at their first tutorial video on their website, the video starts showing a circle already displayed - one of the items on this circle is to select demos. BUT the video doesn’t show you how to launch this in the first place, i’ve tapped every single icon there is, I can’t find any demos anywhere. I can’t do anything with it by trying to guess, I can’t find any demos, the tutorial videos don’t show how to jus t simply get started.
    Getting really frustrated and ****ed off.

@mungbeans Well it seems to live up to its name MAZE tools

• edited April 2019

Yeah, it's capable of some really interesting sounds but can be frustrating, I've had some productive sessions and then other times I've come away feeling like I'm battling the interface. Hope they get Link working soon as that'll really make a difference.

The worst thing for me is you can't name sets yet so you get a long list of similarly looking circle icons which isn't that helpful.

• @Carnbot said:
    Yeah, it's capable of some really interesting sounds but can be frustrating, I've had some productive sessions and then other times I've come away feeling like I'm battling the interface. Hope they get Link working soon as that'll really make a difference.

The worst thing for me is you can't name sets yet so you get a long list of similarly looking circle icons which isn't that helpful.

Can't you now name your sets with the latest version using that left side icon that looks like a cube and says "Cool Stuff"?

My frustrations are mostly with the desktop OSX version. I really love playing with the iOS version, but I'm disappointed you still have to use iTunes file sharing for sample management. Bluetooth headphones/speaker used to work, now it doesn't. And the lack of a demo video or manual showing how the cooler new features work. You have to basically figure it out on your own.

I'm glad I have it, but I've put the desktop OSX version on the backburner until the next update.

I'm glad I have it and thoroughly enjoy experimenting with it every time I've played with it. Sometimes I get horrible sounds and compositions, but other times everything luckily falls into place.

I'd buy the iOS version again knowing what I know now. I'd likely hold off a bit on the OSX version, but it's getting pretty close.

Haven't played with the free lite version, but I bet there's plenty enough there to see if it's something you could make use of. Or, get over the initially cryptic interface. It's not as complicated as it looks, but it's not a walk in the park either.

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Can't you now name your sets with the latest version using that left side icon that looks like a cube and says "Cool Stuff"?

My frustrations are mostly with the desktop OSX version. I really love playing with the iOS version, but I'm disappointed you still have to use iTunes file sharing for sample management. Bluetooth headphones/speaker used to work, now it doesn't. And the lack of a demo video or manual showing how the cooler new features work. You have to basically figure it out on your own.

I'm glad I have it, but I've put the desktop OSX version on the backburner until the next update.

I'm glad I have it and thoroughly enjoy experimenting with it every time I've played with it. Sometimes I get horrible sounds and compositions, but other times everything luckily falls into place.

I'd buy the iOS version again knowing what I know now. I'd likely hold off a bit on the OSX version, but it's getting pretty close.

Haven't played with the free lite version, but I bet there's plenty enough there to see if it's something you could make use of. Or, get over the initially cryptic interface. It's not as complicated as it looks, but it's not a walk in the park either.

You can name sessions, but not the sets (the individual parts of a session) These can get numerous and if you're trying to compose with the different parts and go back to it, it's a difficult workflow with just lots of similar icons. But yeah I'm just waiting for Link to work and I'm fairly happy with the workflow. One great new feature is the ability to record loops of movement (like gestrument pro). Which is on the bottom tab menu. Bit annoying that the icon doesn't light up when it's recording though so it looks like it's not working :)

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

You can name sessions, but not the sets (the individual parts of a session) These can get numerous and if you're trying to compose with the different parts and go back to it, it's a difficult workflow with just lots of similar icons. But yeah I'm just waiting for Link to work and I'm fairly happy with the workflow. One great new feature is the ability to record loops of movement (like gestrument pro). Which is on the bottom tab menu. Bit annoying that the icon doesn't light up when it's recording though so it looks like it's not working :)

Ah! That's what that's for! Was banging my head trying to figure that one out. thx!

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Also, what's the difference in Rec Move and Rec Free?

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Not really sure yet, maybe free lets you record as long as the buffer allows and move is a defined time? could be wrong though! But that seemed like that was what was happening.
    But this is lots of fun with that recorder.

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Not really sure yet, maybe free lets you record as long as the buffer allows and move is a defined time? could be wrong though! But that seemed like that was what was happening.

Yeah, that's what I thought... but I can't get consistent results. I'm not positive, but it seems like after I record a motion with Rec Move, I can then ADD to the initial motion using Rec Free. If I just use Rec Free, I can't add to the motion, it just records a new motion. I'm not absolutely sure of this though.

It's also cool now that I've given up waiting for AudioShare or Files sample management, and just loaded it up with a bunch of my own samples via iTunes file sharing. ;)

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah, that's what I thought... but I can't get consistent results. I'm not positive, but it seems like after I record a motion with Rec Move, I can then ADD to the initial motion using Rec Free. If I just use Rec Free, I can't add to the motion, it just records a new motion. I'm not absolutely sure of this though.

It's also cool now that I've given up waiting for AudioShare or Files sample management, and just loaded it up with a bunch of my own samples via iTunes file sharing. ;)

Yeah, will eventually make sense hopefully....
    That's what I did too, just loaded it up with various things. But my current technique is to send files over wifi from my computer using ifunbox so it's not too bad. Will be even better when it gets Files access though. :)

I've just discovered it now has pads too for finger drumming, pretty sure that's new anyway.

• You can scale the interface a bit now too which helps for me to get a hold on touching things (in setup/zoom)

• @Carnbot said:
    You can scale the interface a bit now too which helps for me to get a hold on touching things (in setup/zoom)

Oh nice! Wasn’t sure what that was for either. I saw the new drum pads too. What else notable and new have you discovered? :)

• edited April 2019

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:
    You can scale the interface a bit now too which helps for me to get a hold on touching things (in setup/zoom)

Oh nice! Wasn’t sure what that was for either. I saw the new drum pads too. What else notable and new have you discovered? :)

I totally recommend going into the grid menu and turning on dots and flying notes :) This really reveals much more clearly what’s going on, which is confusing at first. Also you can see what’s happening in the 3D grids more clearly.

Other things I’ve found on the desktop only are more visual modes and it has Kinect support but haven’t tried that.

In fact, for a more minimal experience I recommend grid off and dots/notes on :)

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

I totally recommend going into the grid menu and turning on dots and flying notes :) This really reveals much more clearly what’s going on, which is confusing at first. Also you can see what’s happening in the 3D grids more clearly.

Other things I’ve found on the desktop only are more visual modes and it has Kinect support but haven’t tried that.

In fact, for a more minimal experience I recommend grid off and dots/notes on :)

Definitely on dots & flying notes. Hadn’t tried dots only. That is helpful.

Unfortunately, the OSX desktop is pretty much a mess at the moment. It was ok before, but I’m going to forget it until the next update. I even tried the Steam version and it was crashing when I tried to record.

iOS seems very solid though.

Do you know how the “paste position” and “paste to seq” works?

• @skiphunt said:

Haven't used that yet so not 100% sure :)

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

Unfortunately, the OSX desktop is pretty much a mess at the moment. It was ok before, but I’m going to forget it until the next update. I even tried the Steam version and it was crashing when I tried to record.

So basically, you just select some notes in the screen you are showing. On the right edge of that circle, you have 2 buttons, Color and Sequencer. The Sequencer screen shows a bunch of concentric, colored circles. Each color is a note, and the sequencer does one cycle per measure around the circle.

So you select notes (or a single note, or notes of a chord) on the Color screen. You move the Paste Position slider to correspond to where in the time cycle you want the notes to play. Then you press Paste to put the selected notes into the Sequncer page at the selected Paste Position.

You repeat the process to paste different notes at different points in time in the time cycle. You can also drag the pasted notes around by hand on the Sequencer page.

• edited April 2019

@CracklePot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

So basically, you just select some notes in the screen you are showing. On the right edge of that circle, you have 2 buttons, Color and Sequencer. The Sequencer screen shows a bunch of concentric, colored circles. Each color is a note, and the sequencer does one cycle per measure around the circle.

So you select notes (or a single note, or notes of a chord) on the Color screen. You move the Paste Position slider to correspond to where in the time cycle you want the notes to play. Then you press Paste to put the selected notes into the Sequncer page at the selected Paste Position.

You repeat the process to paste different notes at different points in time in the time cycle. You can also drag the pasted notes around by hand on the Sequencer page.

Thanks!

So, are the notes you select in the first multipoint (grid?) area different than the sequence of color "notes" that you set up in the circular color ring page?

I think I get it now... but not 100% clear.