Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Figure updated

13»

Comments

• Yeah, got this email. I thought Figure and Allihoopa were already Propellerhead products! How To Rebrand/Divest/Acquire Your Customers Into A State Of Total Confusion In 3 Easy Steps. HashtagHuh?

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Yeah, got this email. I thought Figure and Allihoopa were already Propellerhead products! How To Rebrand/Divest/Acquire Your Customers Into A State Of Total Confusion In 3 Easy Steps. HashtagHuh?

Likewise :s

• “Figure/replicant2/dubstation2/Enso/etc= megadubness”

Actually this crashes Aum... not sure what is going wrong, just freezes and crashes...
    gonna have to try some more configs

• Just downloaded and tested quick, looks like it'll export a .m4a file which I can save to files, but not open in anything else really.... at least could pick things up (HAHAHA GET IT? PICK UP LIKE FROM ALLIHOOPA?!) from within something like AudioShare and etc.

• @JudgeDredd said:
    Just deleted. Like others, I don’t sign in, sign up, to use an app like Figure. Might as well have made it a subscription base.

Same for me. I would actually pay for the app (once), because I do like it, but then they should leave me alone. I just don't like any login or subscription stuff. I deleted Reason compact for the same reasons, even though it sounded really good.

Well, seems like I'm old.

• Hey kids...

So yea, Figure is still kind of a hot mess to actually get up and running in AUM, but I managed to knock something out last night:

It's a bit long, but I bookmarked a few nice spots in the description.

I REALLY like the direction it takes @12:00

And I just SHRED @ 18:00 :)

This setup is essentially:
    TR1:
    Figure in AUM

Send A
    Send B
    Master Send

Tr2:SendA
    FX chain 1

Send B
    Master send

Tr3:SendB
    FX chain 2

Send A
    Master send

(note, it's set up this way to allow feedback between send A & B as well as to just send full wet to feedback path and attenuate/cut master send for... Effects!)

The thing is, as a music instrument interface, Figure is fucking brilliant. The ability to pretty seamlessly morph notes/progressions/and rhythms is pretty amazing.

There's a few places in the above where you can hear me kind of chipping away trying to catch the next wave of ideas, but overall, if you listen to the whole thing, it ends up in a pretty different place from where it starts and travels through some pretty odd places as well.

Really, I don't know of another way/tool that would allow one person to start from absolute scratch and make a 100% original "song" that can basically wander anywhere the "artist" wants it to, seamlessly in real time.

One finger alters rhythm, another alters note range/octave, and another two-three pick notes in performance area, then switch over to voice performance tools to get timbre changes, flip to other voice, do same, modify drums a bit, etc. etc.

One thing that seems glaringly missing is the ability for a rhythmic loop to begin on an up-beat... So you can't have 8 divisions on a beat wheel, but have them start on the "and" or "ne" or anything... Needs the ability to "shift" the beat sheels in a way like how it does "ties."

A few projects I'm going to try with Figure:

• I'm thinking that i may actually work on building Figure into my live looping rig. It's so damn easy to get a cool loop going and EASILY make smooth transitions to stuff that's a bit different to wildly different all in the same loop with minimal messing around.

• I think a setup where Figure feeds into LoopyHD, then send those individual tracks to AUM for mixing/processing could be a pretty dope live DJ/performance setup.

If they actually manage to have each of the synth tracks actually be an instance of Reason... AND if they would allow individual track outputs via IAA... Holy poopballs, that could actually make Figure into just about the ultimate live performance tool.

I mean Reason is like one of the most innovative and fun audio production environments ever made, so it's not like they don't know what they are doing. I just BEG they throw some of their good people onto Figure/Reason Compact.

Or hire me to PM the thing! :)

• edited April 2019

@robosardine said:
    It’s not working in AUM for me either- hanging buzzes all the time- unworkable at the moment. This is with background audio on or off.

Same for me now. It was working OK until I activated Ableton Link in Figure and AUM 1.2.9 Beta. It worked fine with Ableton Link with AUM 1.2.8.

• @e121 said:

You know what would be a great addition for Figure? A simple song mode that strung phrases together, quantizing the transition from one phrase to another.

Edit: All they’d have to do is add quantization to the song browse playback that’s already there, and maybe a folder system to save different groups of phrases together (rather than one long list).

@Samu said:
    Files.app support would make the iTunes export usable...

HERE HERE to both suggestions!!!

• Man, that sucks about the buzzing.
    I am on an ancient Air2.
    Maybe they need to update something for newer model devices.
    What are you using?

6s Plus on the latest iOS. Not a big deal though, I'll probably just use the export.

Oh my days. The air 2 is now considered ANCIENT lol? What does that make my Air 1 then? I just upgraded to an iPhone 6S!!! I should have gone for the 6S PLUS yeh? Dang!!!

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Hey kids...

So yea, Figure is still kind of a hot mess to actually get up and running in AUM, but I managed to knock something out last night:

> So should I get AUM over Audiobus 3 then to do this sort of thing? Never really got anywhere with Audiobus 2??

The thing is, as a music instrument interface, Figure is fucking brilliant. The ability to pretty seamlessly morph notes/progressions/and rhythms is pretty amazing.

There's a few places in the above where you can hear me kind of chipping away trying to catch the next wave of ideas, but overall, if you listen to the whole thing, it ends up in a pretty different place from where it starts and travels through some pretty odd places as well.

Really, I don't know of another way/tool that would allow one person to start from absolute scratch and make a 100% original "song" that can basically wander anywhere the "artist" wants it to, seamlessly in real time.

>what you just described above = my iPad music making dream 😍

If they actually manage to have each of the synth tracks actually be an instance of Reason... AND if they would allow individual track outputs via IAA... Holy poopballs, that could actually make Figure into just about the ultimate live performance tool.

HOLY POOPBALLS!!!! Love this!

I mean Reason is like one of the most innovative and fun audio production environments ever made, so it's not like they don't know what they are doing. I just BEG they throw some of their good people onto Figure/Reason Compact.

Too dang reet!!!

Or hire me to PM the thing! :)

I think they should.....

Lovin your track and visuals...fantastic!!!! Been wanting to hear this for literally years!! Something that morphs and changes and not the same old boring, endless stuff over and over 😍

• Has anyone else lost all their FIGURE tracks since they updated?

• @Tronlady said:
    Has anyone else lost all their FIGURE tracks since they updated?

You're on fire today! :lol:
    Good to see you around interested in the figure workflows :wink:

I lost mine because I didn't login in my first attempt. Or something like that. I know I messed up, just not sure how.

• @Tronlady said:
    Has anyone else lost all their FIGURE tracks since they updated?

I never save anything but the audio output. I basically treat everything like modular or lego. Build it, play it, move on...

Like dust in the wind...

• @Tronlady said:

Man, that sucks about the buzzing.
    I am on an ancient Air2.
    Maybe they need to update something for newer model devices.
    What are you using?

6s Plus on the latest iOS. Not a big deal though, I'll probably just use the export.

Oh my days. The air 2 is now considered ANCIENT lol? What does that make my Air 1 then? I just upgraded to an iPhone 6S!!! I should have gone for the 6S PLUS yeh? Dang!!!

Ancienter, of course. ;)

I was just being sarcastic about my Air2. I actually love it, and I pretty much never have problems.

My iPad 2 on the other hand....

is starting to feel like a turd.

• @robosardine said:
    It’s not working in AUM for me either- hanging buzzes all the time- unworkable at the moment. This is with background audio on or off.

im getting buzzing too... anyone else?

• Figure was just updated. Claims to fix the audio bug.

Does the new version require an account still?

• Installed.
    Started.
    Saw login requirement.
    Deleted.

Such a nonsense.

• @tja said:
    Installed.
    Started.
    Saw login requirement.
    Deleted.

Such a nonsense.

+1

• Figure to AudioShare now? Yee haw!!!

• @tja said:
    Installed.
    Started.
    Saw login requirement.
    Deleted.

Such a nonsense.

I don't see any problem with that. Many apps which require that will just take any email address. Either think about any kind of random Gmail address or create a temporary one.

Temporary mail addresses are the way to go anyways if you don't have a paid email provide which offers aliases. Honestly, that's the way to go nowadays because pretty much any other free service provider will just make money of the information it will get from your emails etc.

Hopefully Apple can bring that concept to the mass market with their upcoming "sign in with Apple" procedure.

• The addition of ‘Share Sheet’ for export made mere-install Figure on my iPhone :)

• @Zaubrer said:

@tja said:
    Installed.
    Started.
    Saw login requirement.
    Deleted.

Such a nonsense.

I don't see any problem with that. Many apps which require that will just take any email address. Either think about any kind of random Gmail address or create a temporary one.

Temporary mail addresses are the way to go anyways if you don't have a paid email provide which offers aliases. Honestly, that's the way to go nowadays because pretty much any other free service provider will just make money of the information it will get from your emails etc.

Hopefully Apple can bring that concept to the mass market with their upcoming "sign in with Apple" procedure.

I dont want Apps that require any registration or login, as long as they don't offer something that essentially requires this, like online cloud storage.

And even if an App offers something like this, it should be restricted to that given feature and not completely disabling the App otherwise.

In this sense, Figure does it totally wrong.

• Great app, but what a crashy dysfunctional mess it is. Have some self-respect, whoever owns this now. Why do you even have something that doesn’t work on the App Store? It could be great if you just got it functional.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Great app, but what a crashy dysfunctional mess it is. Have some self-respect, whoever owns this now. Why do you even have something that doesn’t work on the App Store? It could be great if you just got it functional.

I mean, I can’t even get Reason Compact open since a recent iOS update. Presented with login screen, put in my Reason account creds, blank screen.... so not holding breath for Figure lol..

@Hanna any help here? Hoping this is the right Hanna lol..

• I don't think Reason takes the iOS platform seriously. I think it was simply a cashgrab.

• Not sure about Reason but you can bypass the Figure login requirements by switching to airplane mode.
    It was a cash grab - Vindication for the haters. Laughable really.

• Yeah - it just started magically working this morning, I didn't do anything. I know it wasn't a device reboot or anything since I had already tried that. It's unfortunate, cause it would be a really nice (or could be) a really nice sketchpad with stuff like pattern chaining (song mode?) - the ability to even add just one more Europa. The songs come over to Reason so nicely. But yeah... IAPs too much, and no updates in 10 months? And no word of what's up?

Thanks @robosardine will keep the airplane mode thing in mind if it happens again