Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cover of It's a heartache

edited January 2014 in Creations

Recorded this in GB, with some post processing in Cubasis. Still have a lot to learn, but I'm really enjoying this :-)

Comments

• Nice job! I like your version more than the original.

Which instruments were "real" versus GB virtual?

• edited January 2014

[Sorry double post]

• Thanks a lot!
    Real instruments are guitars (accoustics mic'ed, electric through GB ampsims) and bass (also GB ampsim). Piano is iGrand and organ is Galileo, so I guess those are half real :-). Drums are GB.
    Vocals are real ;-)

• Nice! Really good production and performance! Great job.

• edited March 2014

• Nice work on this!

• Thanks for the kind words.

• Great production, good voice too!

• edited March 2014

• Nope. I just recorded in my "music room", appr 4x4 meters, with one wall covered with accoustc and electric guitars, a bass, a mandolin, and a balalaika :-). I use a Samson C05 condensator mic into a Behringer iStudio. I guess that by pure luck I ended up with a good room? I'm really clueless when it comes to tech stuff, like room accoustics, preamps a.s.o. I just "play by ear".

Again, thanks for the positive comments.

• Just curious - between us girls...can we post covers on soundcloud? Granted this is a good remake and worthy, but just don't want anyone here to get into trouble....

• Great job! Sounds professional. Overall production, voice, guitars, other instruments, its all very well done!!

• Oops. Again, thanks for all the kind comments. I guess if I get a formal complaint from the copyright owners I'll have to remove it. I honestly thought you were allowed to post covers as long as you don't make money from it.

• It's funny, this copyright infringement business. When I was producing 'Stone Trek' I always had in the back of my mind that someone was going to fire a warning shot across my bow for all the flagrant cross-pollination I was engaging in. But the only incident I ever experienced was CafePress.com removing all of the items I sold in my Stone Trek store (save one) that had MY artwork on it. I certainly was borrowed heavily from Hanna-Barbera & Whomever-Controlled-TV-Trek-At-The-Time franchises, so I don't blame CafePress for making a call & booting me out to CTA. It's the internet - if someone was looking for 'infractors' I would not have been hard to find.

• I held back on commenting on this thread before because I was kinda gagging to say 'but isn't this illegal?' But I already know the answer - it very much is. There are loads of cases detailed out there on the net of the kinds of trouble you can get into for infringing copyright, which is exactly what you've done.

Although in practice very few 'covers' end up landing their performers in legal hot water, the fact is some do get noticed. Imagine if your cover was discovered by the rights owner in some way and they happened to be in a bad mood. Yes, it could start and end with an order to remove it, but it could also end in a massive fine. In the eyes of the law, it's theft. And it's up to whoever owns those rights whether or not you'll get away with it. The implication of personal gain doesn't come into it.

Nintendo famously scans YouTube and orders removal of videos it considers to be intellectual property. Loads of other firms take similar action. So no matter how good your cover is, musically and technically, you're clearly able to write your own songs and you're better off doing that because covers are (generally) illegal without permission.

Quite aside from this, I don't understand why people do covers anyway. Why play a song someone's already done? Music offers infinite possiblities and avenues of expression...

• edited March 2014

• edited March 2014

• Covers can be done for a number of reasons. SRV was obviously doing Woodo Chile as a tribute to Jimi. Bruce Springsteen plays "Twist and shout" at lots of concerts, because it's a good song and people like it (I guess?). Old Robert Johnson tunes have been covered by a ton of musicians, as have songs by Bob Dylan, CCR, Stones etc etc.

Personally, I do write my own music, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing covers as well. Legal aspects aside...

• Indeed, but those people who do those covers have permission, and if they don't, they're in the deep poopoo. There's no law against playing it in private, on your own, but any performance to other people, publicly or privately, for gain or not, is illegal. I reckon this will change in time simply because it will be too hard to track. Maybe it is already. Similarly, the law dictates that businesses where any customers are likely to enter the premises must have a licence to have the radio on. In the UK at least. Quite bonkers, that one.

So it's not that I agree with those laws, just I am surprised how little people know about them. By which I don't mean little people. Obviously.

I've been covering my own tunes recently - updating them in different styles. Fun.

• Little misunderstanding here... I didn't mean that I can do whatever I want just because Bruce Springsteen does it... It was rather a reply to the question about why people play covers in the first place.

I don't know how it works internationally, but here we have an organization that collects licence fees from establishments that play music publicly (bars, car dealers, hair dressers etc), and from broadcasters. When a cover band plays at a venue, they are supposed to submit a setlist to this organization, who then pays the copyright owners accordingly.

I always thought this was enough. If I perform a cover, the copyright owner gets paid, and if I record on and sell records the copyright owners get paid. I wasn't aware of licencing. Guess you're never too old to learn.

• I like covers because the music did something for me in the first place. To add, if vocalist might be appreciated more performing a song an audience might recognize. I've created MIDI files of number of tunes & performed (a little) with them as backing... the files have been available on my old website for years and I have never heard the first thing from anybody about their existence. It's fickle.

• Covers are flatout fun! It helps develop your chops, ear, and you learn quite a bit in the process.

Noodling around with limelight that was in the link that Ganthofer provided, you can get streaming permission with 500 "units" of streaming (what ever that is) for about $20 US.

https://songclearance.com/

Maybe an alternative would be making it a parody! Let's see, what rhymes with heartache...

Thick Steak?
    Big Snake?
    Chocolate Cake?

I wonder what all these youtubers that make covers do?

• ...so Karaoke is stealing?

• Once you get into the legality of it all (as the laws are today) it just gets messy! Most people are probably breaking the letter of the laws everyday. It is up to the owner of the property (lyrics, music, recordings, etc..) to take action against any violators. As with many things that are illegal, what nobody see's/hears is still illegal but you only have perhaps guilt as the consequence and not fines or incarceration. I often wondered how Libraries handle the loaning of Records/CDs/DVDs. I'll have to ask the next time I there. We won't talk about what the people who borrow them do with them ;-)

• edited March 2014

• Covers are great for practicing. And like Simon said; Not everybody is a songwriter.
    But making money with it is a entirely different story. There is no problem with doing covers for fun or singing Karaoke. But covering a song commercially is definitely illegal if the rights are not cleared.
    For example; Back in 2002 Junkie XL was asked to remix Elvis Presley’s 1968 single “A Little Less Conversation” for a 2002 Nike World Cup commercial. They got permission from Presley's family, and the guy who wrote the song for Elvis. This guy, still alive (in his seventies) got a cut from the remix (royalties) and ended up receiving a couple of millions for doing nothing! Oh and the family got money too (not even being musicians). That's how this industry works!

@Carlsson; if you have this song on soundcloud and don't make any money with it, you got nothing to fear.
    BTW it's not my kinda music, but it is very well performed and mixed, you got a great voice too!

• Intriguing conversation for sure. I think @Carlsson was just interpreting the song as he heard it. No monetary gain, just for fun. He chose to share it and I thank him for it.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with Davie Bowie's Pinups. Tom Waits covered a song from West Side Story. In my opinion, considerably better than the original. How many of us have covered others' songs publicly (hundreds of times?) and never paid a penny to the song writer?