Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Strange Akai mpk225 issue

Having a strange issue when my Akai mpk225 is hooked up to the iPad. It stops many apps from opening the keyboard to type. Unplugged it and they work again right away. Like it is reading it as a text keyboard.

Any ideas?

Makes renaming songs, presets impossible while jamming of course.

Comments

• edited April 2019

Reading the manual can help sometimes ;)

About HID
    The HID (Human Interface Device) protocol lets devices send typical computer keyboard keystrokes. USB game controllers are an example of this, acting as an alternative to your computer's keyboard. MPK225 can also use the HID protocol, letting you configure certain buttons to send your most-often used keystrokes to your software, so you no longer need to switch focus constantly between the computer's keyboard and your MPK225.

To configure a control to use the HID protocol:
    1. Press Edit to enter Edit Mode.
    2. Select one of the Assignable Switches by pressing it. The selected button and its editable parameters will appear in the display.
    3. Turn the Value Dial to change the Type field to HID.
    4. Use the Up Cursor and Down Cursor buttons to select the Key#1 field, and turn the
    Value Dial to change it to the desired keystroke.
    5. If your desired keystroke requires one or more modifier keys (e.g., Shift, Command, etc.), repeat Step 4 for Key#2, which lets you select different combinations of 1-3 modifier keys.

Edit: I guess you'll have to use the MIDI ports then :'(
    ... or type a limited character set using the MPK buttons :D

• edited April 2019

@rs2000 said:
    Reading the manual can help sometimes ;)

About HID
    The HID (Human Interface Device) protocol lets devices send typical computer keyboard keystrokes. USB game controllers are an example of this, acting as an alternative to your computer's keyboard. MPK225 can also use the HID protocol, letting you configure certain buttons to send your most-often used keystrokes to your software, so you no longer need to switch focus constantly between the computer's keyboard and your MPK225.

To configure a control to use the HID protocol:
    1. Press Edit to enter Edit Mode.
    2. Select one of the Assignable Switches by pressing it. The selected button and its editable parameters will appear in the display.
    3. Turn the Value Dial to change the Type field to HID.
    4. Use the Up Cursor and Down Cursor buttons to select the Key#1 field, and turn the
    Value Dial to change it to the desired keystroke.
    5. If your desired keystroke requires one or more modifier keys (e.g., Shift, Command, etc.), repeat Step 4 for Key#2, which lets you select different combinations of 1-3 modifier keys.

Edit: I guess you'll have to use the MIDI ports then :'(
    ... or type a limited character set using the MPK buttons :D

Ha. Good point. Thought it was iOS peculiarity, never had the problem on desk or laptop.

• @rs2000 got you covered. Had to figure that out for myself

• @Multicellular said:
    Ha. Good point. Thought it was iOS peculiarity, never had the problem on desk or laptop.

Well, in fact it is an iOS peculiarity because iOS will have to switch between touch and HID input devices in order to show the keyboard only when appropriate, while on desktop you can have multiple keyboards or just one, no switching required.

• @rs2000 said:

@Multicellular said:

Well, in fact it is an iOS peculiarity because iOS will have to switch between touch and HID input devices in order to show the keyboard only when appropriate, while on desktop you can have multiple keyboards or just one, no switching required.

Right. I'm just being dense today apparently. I just came back from a long vacation.